Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/16/lloyd-names-eight-players-who-should-consider-moving-clubs-for-greater/

I have always been a Weideman fan. He and Harry would be interesting with Charlie further up the ground.

Chol is an interesting one. Athletic but not sure about his footy smarts as I haven't seen him enough. 200cm with a leap makes him a chance as 2nd ruck option. Any thoughts on him.

Regards Cazzesman

I'll take Constable and Weideman thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:44 pm 
Banned

keogh wrote:
Do you think Cerra is worth a first rounder
Obviously I don’t think so

yeah he is - pick 15-20 range though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

I think the question is wrong. What do you want for a first round draft pick - off the top of my head, "a consistent player that is worthy and earns selection in the team for the next 10 years." Any young player in the AFL system has the advantage of showing what they can do versus any potential draftee in the U18 comps is just that, "potential". There is increased risk with any draftee, including more prone to injury. Surely what we want are players who are 100% committed to playing their role to the best of their ability. I do not think we have a problem in general with the list - not to say there aren't holes to fill. But I do not think Cerra or Serong or pick number 4 in the draft whomever that be, are going to suddenly make us a finals team.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:05 pm 
Banned

^ Agree - need to improve the list need to get 5 tackles + 5 clearances at minimum out of him every week and he can certainly deliver and be a 10 year player.

If he wants the pressure of playing at a big club then expectations come with it - some relish in it others not so much. I think he will thrive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Humpers wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Austin who blinked and gave Pick 8 for Saad when he didn't have to. Would Dodoro have given pick 8? Exactly.

Amateur hour in a ruthless cut throat industry.

After academy selections I think it was effectively pick #10 - and that was in a draft year with no U/18 football so in real terms was probably worth around, say pick #15 in a normal draft year (rough guess). Then we also got a pick back from Essendon** which we used to recruit Jack Carroll who appears to be a likely type.
I agree that pick #8 was a bit much but don't think it was a bad trade by any means.

I would have done it if I had to.

maybe Austin had to do it like Crusader suggests.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jamespul65 wrote:
cerra is another mid ,who doesnt have that breakaway speed ,keep our first pick and go to the draft find that recruit ess done it

Those 3 types don't exist at pick 8 this year from what Ive seen and read.

Plus those 3 recruits look good because of lower expectation of them and have been fortunate enough to be led by a strong senior midfield group with a potential AA ruckman on the rise feeding them. We have Cripps, Walsh and.................a skinny ruckman, Dow, SPS, Dow, all top 10 picks

If there's an outstanding player we need at pick 8, I'm all for it....I just don't think there is. IMO. I'm no expert either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:

This list isn’t good enough
Go to the draft get kids for 2 to 3 years
Look at Essendon** and Sydney in the last year or two
Get it right we will have really good team in a few years that will march to a top 4 position.
With Weitering McKay Cripps Walsh and a few others there we can be up there again

You're not entirely correct keogh.

Have a look at Effendrug* and Swans. They ahve a core group of senior players who can carry the load.
You expect kids to keep getting smashed week in week out for 6 years now, and for another 3-4? Mate they will not hang around long enough.

Effedrug* imported Stringer, Shield, Stewart, Smith, Snelling, speaking of esses (s variety) also Saad (and wanted to keep him. he was in their top 3 in the BnF for 3 years running), Hind, Cutler and Wright who all played to support the kids. With them, they had senior players Heppell, Merrett, McGrath, Parish...all senior players and all of them in the midfield.

Post subject: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:47 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Paddycripps wrote:
Stating the obvious but we will need to find a ruck/forward.

We have one in De Koning.

What we need is a #1 ruck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:52 pm 
formerly King Kenny

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:

Look at Essendon*** and Sydney in the last year or two
Get it right we will have really good team in a few years that will march to a top 4 position.
With Weitering McKay Cripps Walsh and a few others there we can be up there again

Have a look at Effendrug* and Swans. They ahve a core group of senior players who can carry the load.
You expect kids to keep getting smashed week in week out for 6 years now, and for another 3-4? Mate they will not hang around long enough.

Effedrug* imported Stringer, Shield, Stewart, Smith, Snelling, speaking of esses (s variety) also Saad (and wanted to keep him. he was in their top 3 in the BnF for 3 years running), Hind, Cutler and Wright who all played to support the kids. With them, they had senior players Heppell, Merrett, McGrath, Parish...all senior players and all of them in the midfield.

seems like one of those days where every player has an S in its name!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/16/lloyd-names-eight-players-who-should-consider-moving-clubs-for-greater/

I have always been a Weideman fan. He and Harry would be interesting with Charlie further up the ground.

Chol is an interesting one. Athletic but not sure about his footy smarts as I haven't seen him enough. 200cm with a leap makes him a chance as 2nd ruck option. Any thoughts on him.

Regards Cazzesman

Weideman needs space. This is what Dees mates tell me. He isn't the No 1 or No 2 Kahuna. Is he better than Gov and SOS? And, what to do with Gov and SOS if Weideman comes in?

Chol is interesting. Like TDK he is all spring and not strong enough body on body.

Chol 24yo 200cm 95kg
TDK 21yo 203cm 100kg

Chol may be the Levi replacement, and a good one at that because of his height. He doesn't seem to have the smarts of Alir Alir as I expected when watching him closely, (because of their background and physical shape).

Chol can't play in the same team as TDK and Pittonet if we were going with 2 rucks, but he can play whilst TDK gets stronger.

WE have to find a replacement for Levi. Don't think Oscar McDonald is that player.

Personally I like SOS in the midfield group.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

It’s not just about nailing our first draft pick

A better approach would be to get 3 - 4 picks in the first and second round and replenish the list. Trade out some players with value. Our list is not good enough. Although we do have a quality core of 6 - 8 players.

I think we need to reset and hopefully build something sustainable with a new footy department. Players who are developed appropriately from the beginning of their careers will hopefully change the culture of the club.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Humpers wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Austin who blinked and gave Pick 8 for Saad when he didn't have to. Would Dodoro have given pick 8? Exactly.

Amateur hour in a ruthless cut throat industry.

After academy selections I think it was effectively pick #10 - and that was in a draft year with no U/18 football so in real terms was probably worth around, say pick #15 in a normal draft year (rough guess). Then we also got a pick back from Essendon*** which we used to recruit Jack Carroll who appears to be a likely type.
I agree that pick #8 was a bit much but don't think it was a bad trade by any means.

I would have done it if I had to.

maybe Austin had to do it like Crusader suggests.

I’m not saying he had to do it, in the sense that the call came down from on high. I’m suggesting that there was no other way to get him to the club.

In the end, the net points value was somewhere around pick 17 or 18 and the bloke will run top 5 in the BnF.

Not sure what else you could want from the initial position.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:

Look at Essendon*** and Sydney in the last year or two

Let’s look at the players mentioned
Stringer on fire at the minute but has missed 5 games and has only played well the last 6 weeks
Shiel another overrated player has played 6 games this year
Stewart defender key defensive At the moment that isn’t our problem
Smith been good has missed 4 games
Hind cost Essendon* a late pick bizarre he got the arse from the Saints
Has been better than Saad in exactly the same position and Saad cost us pick 8 and salary cap space
Heppell getting older plays HBF has missed 5 games
Merrett and Parish have been guns but so are Cripps and Walsh
Mc Garth has missed 8 games
Two meter Peter has a couple of good games one game out of the box
Cutler has played half the games and is ordinary
Essendon* were forced to go to the draft because of Saad and Daniher wanting out
It’s guys like Perkins and Cox and co that have made the difference
They have showed it can be done by not trading picks out
You mentioned Snelling
He was a mid season pick matured aged 22 year old from West Adelaide
Cerra is a better player but not by that much
Snelling is tougher in the contest doubles Cerras tackle count
Argument over :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:09 pm 
Banned

The thing with Cerra though he is showing improvement in his game y-o-y.

His stats this year are superior to last year - the question is at 21 y.o can he really break out and become a gun of the competition.

Current trend suggests the chances are very good. Known quantities that are young and improving are priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

To be honest given that Shiel and Stringer cost them plenty they still have a bit of repayment to the Bombers
Hind and Snelling are two classic examples of what excellent recruiting is
Both play pivotal roles for their team still young and cost the Bombers
Pick 7 in a midseason draft and a pick in the 70s
When’s the last time that happened at Carlton
Gibbons has been serviceable but he was well known from Melbourne

Last edited by keogh on Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:
The thing with Cerra though he is showing improvement in his game y-o-y.

His stats this year are superior to last year - the question is at 21 y.o can he really break out and become a gun of the competition.

Current trend suggests the chances are very good. Known quantities that are young and improving are priceless.

True
That is the great unknown
If he comes to Carlton he will have an inferior ruckman to rove too and be less protective of the smaller brigade
He wont be asked to be the 5 th banana mid
He will be expected to be number two or three
Some blokes like Neale like a challenge
Some blokes like Shiel don’t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

The Normal One wrote:
seems like one of those days where every player has an S in its name!

:lol: :thumbsup:

Go Silver Sovereign!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:43 pm 
formerly King Kenny

keogh wrote:
To be honest given that Shiel and Stringer cost them plenty they still have a bit of repayment to the Bombers
Hind and Snelling are two classic examples of what excellent recruiting is
Both play pivotal roles for their team still young and cost the Bombers
Pick 7 in a midseason draft and a pick in the 70s
When’s the last time that happened at Carlton
Gibbons has been serviceable but he was well known from Melbourne

Contract year for Stringer too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:13 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I hate these young footy media reporters on TV, trying to make out like they know what's going on with potential coach or player movements. 99% of the time they have no @#$%&! idea what they're on about. Just pure speculation dressed up as pseudo knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:

Look at Essendon**** and Sydney in the last year or two

Let’s look at the players mentioned
Stringer on fire at the minute but has missed 5 games and has only played well the last 6 weeks
Shiel another overrated player has played 6 games this year
Stewart defender key defensive At the moment that isn’t our problem
Smith been good has missed 4 games
Hind cost Essendon** a late pick bizarre he got the arse from the Saints
Has been better than Saad in exactly the same position and Saad cost us pick 8 and salary cap space
Heppell getting older plays HBF has missed 5 games
Merrett and Parish have been guns but so are Cripps and Walsh
Mc Garth has missed 8 games
Two meter Peter has a couple of good games one game out of the box
Cutler has played half the games and is ordinary
Essendon** were forced to go to the draft because of Saad and Daniher wanting out
It’s guys like Perkins and Cox and co that have made the difference
They have showed it can be done by not trading picks out
You mentioned Snelling
He was a mid season pick matured aged 22 year old from West Adelaide
Cerra is a better player but not by that much
Snelling is tougher in the contest doubles Cerras tackle count
Argument over :cry:

I'm not arguing what you state.

My point is that team*, with a bunch of kids, well supported by the abovementioned group of "Retreads" just beat top of the table Bulldogs, and every team we've lost to in the last couple months. We don't have a quality senior core supporting the kids, and more kids will only continue to hinder the group's success...IMO.

You can't do what Effendrugs* is doing with a bunch of kids.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 76  Next