Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:11 am 
Wayne Johnston

His form is building nicely in the VFL, this year will set him up nicely for next year in the AFL on HFF.

Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Brodie Kemp - re-sign.
Eddie Betts - I'd be open to another year on the rookie list if the list numbers stack up and he's willing to go around again.
Edward Curnow - one more year
Jack Newnes - depending on the sort of coin he's wanting and what alternatives are there in that role (I'd prefer Nathan Freeman at this stage). I'd reluctantly offer a year, but prefer to delist.
Jack Silvagni - I'd offer a two year deal, but suspect they'd be wanting three
Josh Honey - undecided, plenty of time left to make a decision. If the season ended tomorrow, you'd be thinking somewhere between delist and one more year on rookie list.
Lachlan Fogarty - done enough to warrant a two year deal, and I suspect his out of contract status is wrong anyway.
Levi Casboult - delist
Lochie O'Brien - delist
Luke Parks - I think there's potential there, I'd be offering another year. I suspect the coaching staff find him limited. He's got two more years on the rookie list.
Marc Murphy - gone
Marc Pittonet - probably deserves another year, wouldn't be too unhappy to see the back of him if the right list management decisions were made to get in the right players in his place. Another one year deal.
Matt Cottrell - deserves another year - look how long it's taken Mitch Robinson to develop into a reliable senior player. Can stay on the rookie list anyway
Matt Owies - I think he can stay on the rookie list another year as a category B rookie. Would promote anyway.
Matthew Kennedy - not sure how his rookie list eligibility works - if we can retain him another year on there without having to delist first, I would.
Michael Gibbons - delist
Nic Newman - a one year deal, I could be twisted into two years.
Oscar McDonald - I think you'd keep him ahead of Pittonet and Casboult largely on the salary aspect. Depends how he goes if he gets any footy in before the end of the year. Could be unlucky.
Sam Petrevski-Seton - I'd consider trading if the right offer came in (pick in 15 to 25 region, or as part of a Cerra deal or a pick upgrade in the first round) but would prefer to keep him.
Sam Ramsay - delist
Will Setterfield - one year extension, re-rookie or delist, there's no real difference in feeling for me there.

That'd give us 5 off the senior list (Casboult, Murphy, O'Brien, Ramsey, Gibbons), possible Owies/McDonald upgrade if we had to, with room to be flexible on Setterfield, Newnes, SPS, Pittonet, Honey, Betts etc if we needed to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:07 pm 
Garry Crane

Crusader wrote:
Honey must have a great PR team, because he’s in no-man’s land as a footballer.

If three years is the maximum anyone can spend on a rookie contract, he’s at least got 12 months to find a role.

This kind of thinking is pretty narrow - no man's land as a footballer is just a shit take really.

Still 19 and has been "developing" as best he can during a pandemic i.e. last year it was a bunch of scratch matches and this year it's been stop/start.

Has plenty of tools to be a good player longer term. We should definitely persist.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Oscar McDonald - I think you'd keep him ahead of Pittonet and Casboult largely on the salary aspect. Depends how he goes if he gets any footy in before the end of the year. Could be unlucky.

Surely if Levi gets delisted then Oscar has to stay. Can't see us replenishing our tall stocks sufficiently to let two go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:18 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Brodie Kemp - re-sign.
Eddie Betts - I'd be open to another year on the rookie list if the list numbers stack up and he's willing to go around again.
Jack Newnes - depending on the sort of coin he's wanting and what alternatives are there in that role (I'd prefer Nathan Freeman at this stage). I'd reluctantly offer a year, but prefer to delist.
Josh Honey - undecided, plenty of time left to make a decision. If the season ended tomorrow, you'd be thinking somewhere between delist and one more year on rookie list.
Lachlan Fogarty - done enough to warrant a two year deal, and I suspect his out of contract status is wrong anyway.
Levi Casboult - delist
Lochie O'Brien - delist
Luke Parks - I think there's potential there, I'd be offering another year. I suspect the coaching staff find him limited. He's got two more years on the rookie list.
Marc Murphy - gone
Marc Pittonet - probably deserves another year, wouldn't be too unhappy to see the back of him if the right list management decisions were made to get in the right players in his place. Another one year deal.
Matt Cottrell - deserves another year - look how long it's taken Mitch Robinson to develop into a reliable senior player. Can stay on the rookie list anyway
Matt Owies - I think he can stay on the rookie list another year as a category B rookie. Would promote anyway.
Matthew Kennedy - not sure how his rookie list eligibility works - if we can retain him another year on there without having to delist first, I would.
Michael Gibbons - delist
Sam Petrevski-Seton - I'd consider trading if the right offer came in (pick in 15 to 25 region, or as part of a Cerra deal or a pick upgrade in the first round) but would prefer to keep him.
Sam Ramsay - delist
Will Setterfield - one year extension, re-rookie or delist, there's no real difference in feeling for me there.

That'd give us 5 off the senior list (Casboult, Murphy, O'Brien, Ramsey, Gibbons), possible Owies/McDonald upgrade if we had to, with room to be flexible on Setterfield, Newnes, SPS, Pittonet, Honey, Betts etc if we needed to.

Ramsay and Honey won’t get delisted, both have had strong VFL years, developing nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:23 pm 
Banned

Whatever the rate unlike previous years we won't turn over 12-14 players.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

TheDenominator wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Honey must have a great PR team, because he’s in no-man’s land as a footballer.

If three years is the maximum anyone can spend on a rookie contract, he’s at least got 12 months to find a role.

This kind of thinking is pretty narrow - no man's land as a footballer is just a shit take really.

Still 19 and has been "developing" as best he can during a pandemic i.e. last year it was a bunch of scratch matches and this year it's been stop/start.

Has plenty of tools to be a good player longer term. We should definitely persist.

Small forward in a middle of the road VFL forward line full of small forwards is literally football purgatory.

He’d be better off if there was a VFL 2s comp to thin out the ranks. But, there isn’t.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

There’s still 2 months of the season to go, so things can change, but I reckon we will delist:

Betts* (retired)
Murphy (retired)
O’Brien
Williamson
Marchbank (rookie)
McGovern (rookie)

I’m assuming we can move Marchbank & McGovern to the rookie list (like we did last year with Betts & Kennedy).

Others who might get delisted:

Casboult
Cottrell*
Gibbons
Kennedy*
McDonald*
Newman
Newnes

The next couple of months are crucial for the above 7 guys. They won’t all go, but I imagine a couple of them will. I know Casboult has had a forgettable 12 months, but there might be a spot for him (maybe on the rookie list?) next year if can show he still has some value as a depth 2nd ruck/forward while TDK and Mirkov develop.

I think the class of 2019 (Kemp, Philp, Ramsay, Honey & Owies) should all be retained for at least one more season.

SPS and Setterfield are the only commodities potentially worth something that I would be prepared to trade if we got the right deal. I would keep them both if there are no decent offers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

How many debutants have we had in 2021?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:17 pm 
Banned

Considering Kemp, Carrol have been injured - Honey already had a game. Ramsay is close but not ready and Durdin at least a year from debut its hard to make miracles.

Other than that rookies have had a long stretch of games due to injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

Effes wrote:
How many debutants have we had in 2021?

Just one AFL debutant so far (Parks). Fogarty, Saad, Williams made their Carlton debuts.

Stocker, TDK, Owies, Cottrell all started the season with single digit game tallies and now are into double digits.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:
Considering Kemp, Carrol have been injured - Honey already had a game. Ramsay is close but not ready and Durdin at least a year from debut its hard to make miracles.

Other than that rookies have had a long stretch of games due to injuries.

Now this I agree with. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:27 am 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Brodie Kemp - re-sign.
Levi Casboult - delist
Lochie O'Brien - delist
Marc Murphy - gone
Michael Gibbons - delist
Sam Ramsay - delist

Good assessment although if SPS plays like he did on the weekend for the rest of the year then he should definitely stay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
There’s still 2 months of the season to go, so things can change, but I reckon we will delist:

Betts* (retired)
Murphy (retired)
O’Brien
Williamson
Marchbank (rookie)
McGovern (rookie)

I’m assuming we can move Marchbank & McGovern to the rookie list (like we did last year with Betts & Kennedy).

Others who might get delisted:

Casboult
Cottrell*
Gibbons
Kennedy*
McDonald*
Newman
Newnes

The next couple of months are crucial for the above 7 guys. They won’t all go, but I imagine a couple of them will. I know Casboult has had a forgettable 12 months, but there might be a spot for him (maybe on the rookie list?) next year if can show he still has some value as a depth 2nd ruck/forward while TDK and Mirkov develop.

I think the class of 2019 (Kemp, Philp, Ramsay, Honey & Owies) should all be retained for at least one more season.

SPS and Setterfield are the only commodities potentially worth something that I would be prepared to trade if we got the right deal. I would keep them both if there are no decent offers.

That's pretty close to reality imo

In lockdown I've watched a few 2021 games. I wasn't too happy with setters after the WCE but he did some good things in that game. Plays a bit too far outside for the role I thought he was playing: inside mid giving Cripps the chop out playing forward.

I guess we have to keep Mirkov and Boyd. Mirkov signed for 18 months. So Murphy and Betts make way for those 2.

Plenty of pressure on those 7 you highlighted.

I'm expecting something special from Nick Austin with latter picks too. Maybe this year. Maybe Durdin and Carrol turn out to be winners.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

SPS is the one who I'm confident if he goes will bite us big time. None of the others give me that vibe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:55 pm 
Bert Deacon

how can we get cerra without giving our first pick away (this yr pick),i could do that trade ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluehammer wrote:
SPS is the one who I'm confident if he goes will bite us big time. None of the others give me that vibe.

Agree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:02 pm 
Bob Chitty

jamespul65 wrote:
how can we get cerra without giving our first pick away (this yr pick),i could do that trade ?

I wouldnt be bothered one bit if we gave away our first pick ...

we are so young across the board ... we could do the same next year for the right talent, but then we need to start bring youth in etc..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

I wouldnt be bothered one bit if we gave away our first pick ...

we are so young across the board ... we could do the same next year for the right talent, but then we need to start bring youth in etc..

I'm thinking the same way.

Dow and Cerra are the same age, and both have shown signs.
Pick 6 or 7 is no guarantee, and they will be too young for years.

$500K pa is about the difference.

I'd put money on it Carlton have and will continue to front load a lot of contracts, and what we are paying Gov, Martin, Cripps... is no where near their first year or 2nd year payments.

If we can attract Cerra, then yes please

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

I'd rather pick the best tall available at pick 6. We are super light down back after Jones/Weitering and Jones is 30.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 76  Next