Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I totally disagree with Keogh here. Playing players now to see what they have got is a waste of time.
It's easy to play when the season is shot and nothing to play for.
Every year we pull up stumps and start getting games into young players and we get a false sense of security as they look good.
We put them in at the start of the next season and they under perform.
It is wash rinse repeat.

If we are going to get anywhere these blokes must play at a level where selection can't be ignored

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
I totally disagree with Keogh here. Playing players now to see what they have got is a waste of time.
Every year we pull up stumps and start getting games into young players and we get a false sense of security as they look good.
It is wash rinse repeat.

If we are going to get anywhere these blokes must play at a level where selection can't be ignored

The current list is not good enough
How much more evidence do you want
Owies has been given a go and gone alright
Why not try others
And make the guys on massive coin accountable for culture
I guarantee you there would be team mates questioning Martins inclusion if he plays this week
He simply doesn’t warrant a selection in the seniors on the shit he has dished up the last 3 weeks
After straight back in after injury
Williams squibbed it the first 10 seconds of the game
His previous game was ok but if your paying someone $850000 a season and he dished up that crap we saw on the weekend drop him and let him show the selectors he can learn to man up get a hard ball and not just get cheap and easy stats as a floating half back

Personally as you know paying this guy so much for 6 years when he played one decent game as a mid in 8 years was ridiculous
We have him now
Make him accountable

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
We are getting there - just expectations this year and likely next year if we win a few games on the trot will again be unrealistic until the list is added with AFL standard talent.

Yeah, I too think we are only a few players short.
Lets say 6.

This year players have gone backwards.
Did any of those drop off the edge, and finished?

What about players underdeveloped?
Can any of those high picks be developed?

What about virtually untried Honey, Kemp, Ramsay, Carroll, Durdin

...and the imports will be better for the year they have, Maybe not Fog.

Nothing stopping Austin getting a couple seriously good mids and support for KPD end of year.

Boyd looks quick with great disposal.

No doubt Charlie Curnow would make us an inch taller too

There's plenty there to make paint a good picture.

I'm still a glass half full, but with Teague coaching I know what to expect week in week out.

Time almost for a change...something has to change...not because its Carlton, but the right thing to do...and do it properly.

I'm not fussed if Teague stays for the rest of the year, but FFS lets do it with purpose looking at 2022.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Everyone is accountable.

Problem is we'd have only 8 or 9 players to pick from every week if the keyboard warriors had there way on the club.

Carlton is not a carcass, Carlton is a Phoenix.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
We are getting there - just expectations this year and likely next year if we win a few games on the trot will again be unrealistic until the list is added with AFL standard talent.

Yeah, I too think we are only a few players short.
Lets say 6.

This year players have gone backwards.
Did any of those drop off the edge, and finished?

What about players underdeveloped?
Can any of those high picks be developed?

What about virtually untried Honey, Kemp, Ramsay, Carroll, Durdin

...and the imports will be better for the year they have, Maybe not Fog.

Nothing stopping Austin getting a couple seriously good mids and support for KPD end of year.

Boyd looks quick with great disposal.

No doubt Charlie Curnow would make us an inch taller too

There's plenty there to make paint a good picture.

I'm still a glass half full, but with Teague coaching I know what to expect week in week out.

Time almost for a change...something has to change...not because its Carlton, but the right thing to do...and do it properly.

I'm not fussed if Teague stays for the rest of the year, but FFS lets do it with purpose looking at 2022.

Ok
You need about let’s say 28 players to win a flag that are decent
22 on the day plus 6 for depth
You reckon where 6 short
Name the 22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
It is wash rinse repeat.

Why not try others
I guarantee you there would be team mates questioning Martins inclusion if he plays this week
He simply doesn’t warrant a selection in the seniors on the shit he has dished up the last 3 weeks
His previous game was ok but if your paying someone $850000 a season and he dished up that crap we saw on the weekend drop him and let him show the selectors he can learn to man up get a hard ball and not just get cheap and easy stats as a floating half back

Personally as you know paying this guy so much for 6 years when he played one decent game as a mid in 8 years was ridiculous
We have him now
Make him accountable
You keep making this about individuals . I don't care who you draft on the list what players you bring in or how much you pay them it won't make one bit of difference.
If there isn't enough evidence by now to show you that it is not who you recruit or who gets a game in front of someone else.
If we have to rely on that we are going no where fast.
Unfortunately I think the club has had this mindset and it clearly doesn't work.
Gold Coast has had access to the very best and hasn't worked, you cannot fabricate a team and going around state leagues hoping for a gem is fruitless as they are one in a million.

You think if we swap player x for player y it will work out.
It won't. It shouldn't matter if it is player z if the system is in place it shouldn't make a difference.

The reason we are so bad is because we have made it about individuals and not a team. We think if we suddenly elevate some one up they will be good.

It doesn't work if you want a game you have to show you deserve it. Those years under Bolton gifting games to SPS Dow Fisher Obrien have made them bad footballers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
It is wash rinse repeat.

Why not try others

We have him now
Make him accountable
You keep making this about individuals . I don't care who you draft on the list what players you bring in or how much you pay them it won't make one bit of difference.
If there isn't enough evidence by now to show you that it is not who you recruit or who gets a game in front of someone else.
Unfortunately I think the club has had this mindset and it clearly doesn't work.
Gold Coast has had access to the very best and hasn't worked, you cannot fabricate a team and going around state leagues hoping for a gem is fruitless as they are one in a million.

It won't. It shouldn't matter if it is player z if the system is in place it shouldn't make a difference.

The reason we are so bad is because we have made it about individuals and not a team. We think if we suddenly elevate some one up they will be good.

It doesn't work if you want a game you have to show you deserve it. Those years under Bolton gifting games to SPS Dow Fisher Obrien have made them bad footballers

So after a that would you drop Martin for Carroll
Carroll played well this week
Honey was ok too
All play similar positions

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Carroll played his first decent game. Let the kid find his feet before we throw him to the wolves.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
It is wash rinse repeat.

Why not try others

We have him now
Make him accountable

Honey was ok too
What body of work has Carroll done to be gifted a game. Martin has been ordinary for the last few weeks granted. But Carroll plays one good game against the worst midfield in the VFL and you say he should just get given a go.
How about Carroll does that for 8 to 10 games and shows he is ready.

What you are suggesting is why we are so shit.
We look at what is in front of us and don't like it so we turn sideways and grab whatever looks OK.

Did you watch Parks he was bloody woeful but a few weeks ago you were calling for him to replace Plowman.

Chucking kids in for the sake of it doesn't work

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Carroll played his first decent game. Let the kid find his feet before we throw him to the wolves.

Absolutely agree , no point in rushing the youngsters, let them show so dazzling flashes in the 2nds of the least a month then progress him up to the big stage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
You reckon where 6 short
Name the 22

I'll name the 6.

Dustin Martin, Marcus Bontempelli, Toby Greene, Max Gawn, Patrick Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
It is wash rinse repeat.

Why not try others

We have him now
Make him accountable

Honey was ok too
What body of work has Carroll done to be gifted a game. Martin has been ordinary for the last few weeks granted. But Carroll plays one good game against the worst midfield in the VFL and you say he should just get given a go.
How about Carroll does that for 8 to 10 games and shows he is ready.

What you are suggesting is why we are so shit.
We look at what is in front of us and don't like it so we turn sideways and grab whatever looks OK.

Did you watch Parks he was bloody woeful but a few weeks ago you were calling for him to replace Plowman.

Chucking kids in for the sake of it doesn't work

It can work
Parks had a shocker
Plowman has had plenty of shockers
Martin simply doesn’t deserve a game
Try something
Some young guys can progress quickly
It’s called not being flexible
The season is shot
Martin has been Shit
So why should he be gifted games
I could count on my hand how many good quarters he has had since he has been at Carlton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:35 pm 
Banned

Need to find a settled starting 22 that can play football four quarters
Need to stabilize the game plan and get players buying in
Need to drill into the players to win games of football

We have been going through trial and error past few weeks - some has worked and some hasn't.

Players who are not going to be a part of next tilt shouldn't play.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:25 am 
Ken Hunter

bmaurizio wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Absolutely agree , no point in rushing the youngsters, let them show so dazzling flashes in the 2nds of the least a month then progress him up to the big stage.

X3

Then we wonder why some of the kids struggle at AFL level. Let them develop and grown ffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:35 am 
Ken Hunter

Yeah, I'm with Syd. Keogh is proposing more of the same, just trash it all every few years and start again. Maybe this time we'll get it right. Trouble with your approach, keogh, is you just look for any reason to throw players you're set against into the bin. Case in point, Newnes. He's had a poor season, granted, and it's a bit of a mystery, but he was a very solid contributor last year, a rare successful UFA pickup that nearly all fans would gladly have near the bottom of their 22. But in your eyes, nope, done and dusted. That recruiter whose article was linked to in another thread says he always judges players at their best, not their worst, because it's more useful to know what a player is capable of. You judge players at their worst, hence you want to retain about 4 or 5 players and delist everyone else, and you want the MC to swing a dozen changes every week. It's fantasy football, and it won't work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:00 am 
Geoff Southby

GreatEx wrote:
Yeah, I'm with Syd. Keogh is proposing more of the same, just trash it all every few years and start again. Maybe this time we'll get it right. Trouble with your approach, keogh, is you just look for any reason to throw players you're set against into the bin. Case in point, Newnes. He's had a poor season, granted, and it's a bit of a mystery, but he was a very solid contributor last year, a rare successful UFA pickup that nearly all fans would gladly have near the bottom of their 22. But in your eyes, nope, done and dusted. That recruiter whose article was linked to in another thread says he always judges players at their best, not their worst, because it's more useful to know what a player is capable of. You judge players at their worst, hence you want to retain about 4 or 5 players and delist everyone else, and you want the MC to swing a dozen changes every week. It's fantasy football, and it won't work.

Newnes best was at best average at the Aints
Ask anyone at Linton St and they will tell you they were glad he went
Has almost zero defensive game
Shocking recruiting
So he one us a game after the siren
What else has he done
What’s he done overall to contribute to our progress
Negative
Martins isn’t much better
I keep saying it
In eight years he was
1 Rising star nominee
2 3 Rd in a B+F at GC
That’s his best
Pretty shit isn’t it
Be honest
And yet Carlton pay him 1 million last year front loading his contract
To fit 2 blokes you can’t play midfield and the coach can’t trust them to shut down the best small forward s

If Martin isn’t dropped nothing has changed
You can talk all you want
Have as many reviews or pressers you want
90% action
10% talk
It’s been the other way for 20 years
And please don’t replace him with Murphy
Give Carroll a go
Nobody knows
He might play a blinder and give us a bit of hope

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

All I know about his Saints career is that he played a huge number of consecutive games, so he must have done alright. Like I said, a solid contributor. Seemed to have more run and stronger than most of our squad whenever I watched. Never mind the goal (which I never mentioned, but I guess you had to, to strengthen your hand), the fact that he was ever-present for us shows that the MC also valued his contribution. OK so you don't rate him, and that's fine, but how can you just say a stalwart like Newnes is finished, when he's 28 years old and not had major injuries? Baby, meet bathwater.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

GreatEx wrote:
All I know about his Saints career is that he played a huge number of consecutive games, so he must have done alright. Like I said, a solid contributor. Seemed to have more run and stronger than most of our squad whenever I watched. Never mind the goal (which I never mentioned, but I guess you had to, to strengthen your hand), the fact that he was ever-present for us shows that the MC also valued his contribution. OK so you don't rate him, and that's fine, but how can you just say a stalwart like Newnes is finished, when he's 28 years old and not had major injuries? Baby, meet bathwater.

He has virtually no defensive side to his game
He plays “ nice” footy
StKilda delisted him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
GreatEx wrote:

He plays “ nice” footy
StKilda delisted him

I thought St Kilda offered him a contract but he chose us?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:42 pm 
Geoff Southby

showbag wrote:
keogh wrote:
GreatEx wrote:

He plays “ nice” footy
StKilda delisted him

I thought St Kilda offered him a contract but he chose us?

Correction
He did reject Saints offer
Still reckon he is ordinary

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 76  Next