Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jamespul65 wrote:
malcom blight said we are 2 quality mids short ( find them in draft ) and to keep PC

What about a rats toss bag?

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Clowns at 360 have changed their tune towards Carlton.
More of a pat on the back for first 3 quarters.

That Carlton have the 2 best bookends: Weitering & McKay.
Add Jones and Betts to them and there's a lot to build on from there.
I'm not sure about Betts but they would have liked to say Charlie Curnow.
Saad and Williams under performing, and both very good HB's.

The problem Robbo says is the stuff in between.
I think Whaetely would've liked to have said between the ears.

No mention of Cripps or Docherty, nor anyone else.

I don't know why Russell and co are not being questioned re injuries, strength and endurance.
I think the defensive set of of Teague's is really taxing, but effective for as long as it lasts.
Carlton haven't been able to respond to a big effort from the opposition. Flaky.

Teague has to sort out the players who are going to win it for him, or develop for the position.

Were some guys chronically injured before Russell got here? Can they not train hard enough to improve their fitness, strength and in turn durability?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Post in players thread by juddy' re cripps

Old TCer Barrass posted on BF that cripps signed for 4 more years as a Blue

Back: Weitering and his merry men...Saad Williams Doc

MID: DeKoning Cripps Walsh

FWD: McKay Curnow

Key posts sorted....a new FB and Forward/Ruck would be nice over next year or two

Good Mids or 2 at the end of this season would set us up for 2022.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I don't know why Russell and co are not being questioned re injuries, strength and endurance.
I think the defensive set of of Teague's is really taxing, but effective for as long as it lasts.
Carlton haven't been able to respond to a big effort from the opposition. Flaky.

Teague has to sort out the players who are going to win it for him, or develop for the position.

Were some guys chronically injured before Russell got here? Can they not train hard enough to improve their fitness, strength and in turn durability?

With regards to the first question. We've stripped the list and everyone is brand new and youngish
Highlighted question. You'd think so. Every preseason, let alone each season, a player would build a l;ayer of each of those qualities you ask about. Always has been the case.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Interesting to see Pick 8 in 2017 draft, Nick Coffield has been dropped back to the reserves.

We took Paddy Dow at 3 and O'Brien pick 10.

Looking at the draft we did well in the long run. Dow was good in his first game for Carlton.
He's played plenty of good ganes before he turned 20yo.

Dow got moved to HF to make way for Teagues preference to play older players in the coal face for wins not development.

Just goes to show with Coffield, most kids take time, and take their opportunity when it comes.

Ive got a good feeling about Dow.
I would not be adverse to his selection in our best 22 this week, and he isn't 21 yet.

Post subject: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:23 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

With regards to the first question. We've stripped the list and everyone is brand new and youngish
Highlighted question. You'd think so. Every preseason, let alone each season, a player would build a l;ayer of each of those qualities you ask about. Always has been the case.

Yes but seemed we had a fettish for broken down injured guys who we thought we were getting bargains for because they used to be high draft picks.

So not sure it’s Russell’s fault re Marchbank for example.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:24 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Interesting to see Pick 8 in 2017 draft, Nick Coffield has been dropped back to the reserves.

Looking at the draft we did well in the long run. Dow was good in his first game for Carlton.

Dow got moved to HF to make way for Teagues preference to play older players in the coal face for wins not development.

Just goes to show with Coffield, most kids take time, and take their opportunity when it comes.

I would not be adverse to his selection in our best 22 this week, and he isn't 21 yet.

Wasn’t Dow not great in the VFL last week?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:42 am 
Wayne Johnston

Adam Chatfield wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

He had a good game, not demanding an AFL recall but was one of our best.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:52 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Adam Chatfield wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

5 centre clearances. Our entire AFL midfield had 7 for the game.
It's a glaring deficiency at the moment. Bring him in. (He shouldn't have been out)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:15 am 
Rod Ashman

Adam Chatfield wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Yes but seemed we had a fettish for broken down injured guys who we thought we were getting bargains for because they used to be high draft picks.

Setterfield had a knee before he came, as did Kemp. Marchbank was broken before he got here. I get the frustration with our injuries but I’m not sure Russell can do much with some of them

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Some injuries eg stress fractures are often caused by overtraining

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Adam Chatfield wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I think you may have read someone's thoughts on OBrien

Here's the latest from carlton fc today:

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/935075/vfl-player-review-round-4-v-footscray

Quote:
2. Paddy Dow
Stats: 24 disposals, seven clearances, six inside 50s.

Dow played midfield and a touch forward but mainly as a mid throughout the day. As expected, he won the most clearances, particularly in centre bounces: he had five centre clearances for the day, so that’s his blueprint. We know when he’s at his best, he’s winning centre bounce clearances when there’s time and space and he can explode out from there. His forward run patterns were really good off the back of stoppages as well and just his ability in the contest to win the ball - with his hard ball gets - was really strong as well.

Although he won a lot of hard balls, we expect him to put on some pressure when he doesn’t win the ball, and it’s also about keeping the ball in the contest with tackle pressure, so that’s something he’ll work on. He’s really strong when he gets his body work going at stoppages and in the contest, and that’s something he’ll continue to work on and learn and grow in.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Setterfield had a knee before he came, as did Kemp. Marchbank was broken before he got here. I get the frustration with our injuries but I’m not sure Russell can do much with

some of them

I don't think that's true.

In fact, I know its not.

He got over his injuries at GWS and was really fit.
He wanted to go back to Melbourne to be closer to his family on the border.
3 clubs were after his signature, that we knew.
Unbeknown to him his Grand father or great gf played for Carlton.
The rest as they say is history.

He was reliable and relatively injury free for first couple seasons with us.
Stand out.

Then when he was rushed back from injury against Collingwood, he was playing really well in a close game. Went for ONE kick in the corridor as coached and the kick was intercepted. Same game he got the knee to the neck standing infront of the oncoming forward and fractured it.

That's when the likes of keogh and other kids started the rumours he was not good by foot, then the SOS hatred turned him into ... complete slander in my books...chinese whispers turned into....well look at your thoughts. Where did that come from?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:27 am 
Stephen Kernahan

3 LTIs on our list now with Marchbank, McDonald and Cuningham. Will be interesting to see what we do come mid season draft time.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:30 am 
Craig Bradley

Yeah, I agree. I hope the recruiting team has been putting plenty of work into this opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:05 am 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:

Again, I think it's very important to look at drafted players in context. Only four of the top ten from Dow's year are actually reasonably consistent performers so far. The rest are talented but inconsistent and not quite best 22 yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:

Players we could of selected instead of Dow assuming that they made up their mind about O’Brien
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Adam Ceres
Jaidyn Stephenson
Hunter Clarke
Aaron Naughton
Players we could of picked if we assume that they were going to trade pick 28 for Kennedy
Darcy Fogarty
Jarred Brandon
Zac Bailey
Jack Higgins
Oscar Allen
Tim Kelly :roll:
Liam Ryan :eek:
Players we could of got with pick 28
Sam Taylor
Bailey Frisch
Brayden Ainsworth
Tom McCartin
Harrison Petty
Charlie Ballard
Jack Petruccelle
James Worpel
Kane Farrell
Bryan Miers
SOS hopefully got DeKoning right let’s hope he is injury free and a decent crack at it

And people think Teague is the main problem

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Players we could of selected instead of Dow assuming that they made up their mind about O’Brien
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Adam Ceres
Jaidyn Stephenson
Hunter Clarke
Aaron Naughton
Players we could of picked if we assume that they were going to trade pick 28 for Kennedy
Darcy Fogarty
Jarred Brandon
Zac Bailey
Jack Higgins
Oscar Allen
Tim Kelly :roll:
Liam Ryan :eek:
Players we could of got with pick 28
Sam Taylor
Bailey Frisch
Brayden Ainsworth
Tom McCartin
Harrison Petty
Charlie Ballard
Jack Petruccelle
James Worpel
Kane Farrell
Bryan Miers
SOS hopefully got DeKoning right let’s hope he is injury free and a decent crack at it

And people think Teague is the main problem

That doesn't make for good reading.

He has some time on his side....I believe he will get bigger and stronger before he dominates as he did as a kid.
He has played a few good games to remember. Why? and How do we get him doing it every week?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The mid season draft will be interesting for Carlton.

We have the opportunity to take 2 players in the MS Draft to replace the 2 LTI's and best 22 players, Marchbank and Cuningham.

We need a Forward Ruck with Levi playing injured, let alone a developing ruckman.
Carlton VFL player, and 200cm ruckman, Aaron Gundry has nominated.

Interesting that 210cm ruckman from Old Ivanhoe, Mirkov who played in round 1 vs Southport hasn't been since, nor has he nominated.
I thought he would be a Cat B possibility for us with his volleyball background.

We really need a few more quality players like a back up KPD incase any of Weiters or Jones goes down and Levi still on one leg.

Quality mids in Mid season draft? There's a reason they are not on a list ... but hey there may be some SAFL and WAFL quality players like Tim Kelly going around.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:30 am 
Harry Vallence

Is there anyway we can set an autocorrect so that 'could of' written together instantly changes to 'could have,' similar to the * for Essendon*?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 76  Next