Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2021 injuries
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Injury news: Blues set for boost

Jack Silvagni and Brodie Kemp are both available this weekend.

JACK Silvagni is a likely inclusion to Carlton’s forward line this Saturday.

After an interrupted run in 2021 due to a shoulder injury and concussion, Silvagni is available for selection for Round 10 after adhering to the AFL’s 12-day concussion protocol.

It’ll be a forward-line boost for the Blues, with Harry McKay also right to go after experiencing some shoulder soreness on the weekend.

Silvagni will return to the fold as will Brodie Kemp, with the youngster ready to play his first game in the VFL on managed game time.

“It’s fantastic for ‘Kempy’,” Director of High Performance Andrew Russell said.

“He looks good and we’re really excited for him to play reserves football this week.

“He’ll have a little bit of managed game time, but he’s pretty pumped and so are we.”
AFL news
Brodie Kemp to play first game in two years

The Blues will also make a call on the availability of Jack Martin later in the week.

Having returned to full training in his recovery from a PCL injury sustained in Round 2, Russell said Martin was closing in on a return to action.

“The knee looks really good. He’s had a heavy training phase the last two weeks,” he said.

“He’ll train on Thursday and we’ll make a decision on whether he plays this week, or if we hold him over for the week after.”

In further positive news, Carlton is expecting Charlie Curnow and Oscar McDonald to return to elements of the ball program as early as next week.

McDonald has returned to running after a back injury, while Curnow continues to make strides in his recovery from a knee injury.

“[Curnow] is doing change of direction and kicking work, and next week he’ll be in some elements of the ball program: then we’ll progress him back to full training,” Russell said.

“He needs as long as he needs to be ready to play, but we’re pretty excited and optimistic we’re going to see him out there this season.”

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:21 pm 
Robert Walls

Do you bring Martin straight back in or do you give him limited minutes in the VFL to work his way back into touch?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

I see the narrative around Charlie has changed from he'll be back mid year to now hopeful of seeing him this season.
Just be upfront with your members for once in all areas would be great.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

I thought "some time in 2nd half of season" had been the message all year. I dunno, I never expected to see him this season so I wasn't really paying attention.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

Be careful Deano about this I tried to say something similar in another forum
What a surprise though after another inept performance leading to 3-9 Wins we hear about Charlie and for entree Kemp
Good that they are both going well but how about bloody well winning rather than spinning

Another piece of genius was applauding 70 tackles last week should be what we expect every week but I suppose you have to spin these things for all they are worth if you don’t win
Woe betide the players coach and admin if they don’t turn up and beat Hawthorn this week and no amount of excuses whose doing well in the AFL veterans kicking goals will wall paper over the underperformance of the most disappointing side in the AFL bar none not even North

Post subject: 2021 injuries
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:21 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bluechampion wrote:
Do you bring Martin straight back in or do you give him limited minutes in the VFL to work his way back into touch?

I hope he gets some time in the VFL first….

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:26 pm 
Craig Bradley

Straight in for mine. He’s had a couple of weeks in the main group & brought a full preseason into that.

If he’s fit for football, it’ll be AFL football.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:52 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Club

Medical substitutes used

Fremantle 7

North Melbourne 7

Essendon* 6

Port Adelaide 6

Carlton 5

Geelong 5

Gold Coast 5

GWS 5

Richmond 5

St Kilda 5

Brisbane 4

Collingwood 4

Sydney 4

West Coast 4

Western Bulldogs 4

Adelaide 3

Hawthorn 2

Melbourne 2

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Crusader wrote:
Straight in for mine. He’s had a couple of weeks in the main group & brought a full preseason into that.

We need his class at half forward.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

Yep agree. Straight in when ready.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Would Cripps go via VFL? No and neither should either Jack

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Humpers wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Yep

x3

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:26 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Yep

x3

Normally I’d agree but how many injured/returning players can you field?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:37 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

DesEnglish wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Yep

x3

22 plus a sub

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Yep

x3

I think the more valid question would be how many injured players can you field, and you have to assume Russell knows what he's doing and saying Martin's knee has proven itself fit following the heavy training block over the last 2 weeks.

Gosh I hope he's picked.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:03 am 
Harry Vallence

Martin won't play this weekend

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I am not in the put Charlie in cotton wool camp.
For sure, if he needs more time to be sure the knee is OK.
But not because 'the season will almost be done by then'.
I don't buy into that argument.
He has missed a lot of football.
And footballer's careers are short.
He needs to play as soon as practically realistic.
Imagine if he plays a handful of games and finds some touch before the end of the year.
He carries that into 2022.
Muscle memory.
Confidence.

The club would also be keen to get a read on his form, ability, health before the off-season trading and draft period.
If he finds some form later in the year, and looks healthy, then that impacts the off season plans, surely.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
I am not in the put Charlie in cotton wool camp.
For sure, if he needs more time to be sure the knee is OK.
But not because 'the season will almost be done by then'.
I don't buy into that argument.
He has missed a lot of football.
And footballer's careers are short.
He needs to play as soon as practically realistic.
Imagine if he plays a handful of games and finds some touch before the end of the year.
He carries that into 2022.
Muscle memory.
Confidence.

The club would also be keen to get a read on his form, ability, health before the off-season trading and draft period.
If he finds some form later in the year, and looks healthy, then that impacts the off season plans, surely.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Carlton wanted the best Fitness and conditioning Expert in the country and hired Andrew Russell as The Director of High Performance in 2018 Russell was involved in 6 AFL Premierships.

A lot of questions being raised about his record at Carlton thus far, with Carlton experiencing an unusual number of injuries in 2020 and 2021. Charlie's injury is Charlie's doing, but it seems players are spending a long time on the sidelines.

Take DeKoning who hurt his back in the preseason. Scans must have found a stress fracture, but the day after his pain had gone. No problem resting him, but he was on the sidelines for 3 months and missed the first 9 rounds. Something weird to me with that.

Today I read the following about the Lions ability to get players back on the field in quick time and the back of what they believe the strength of their conditioning program.

Quote:
Andrew Stafford reported in The Age on Thursday that the Lions perceive their conditioning program as a recruiting weapon.

Quote:
“Our biggest selling point with the Joe (Daniher)s and Nakias of the world was our ability to get them on the paddock as much as we could,” Brisbane football manager Danny Daly told Stafford.

Plagued by injury, the former Cat has strung three consecutive games together for the Brisbane reserves, after making just 34 senior appearances in six years at Kardinia Park.

He is tracing the steps of former Geelong teammate Lincoln McCarthy, who managed 29 games in the hoops in seven years, and has played 50 of a possible 52 since he moved north.

Joe Daniher has also played every game this year, after making just 15 appearances in his last three seasons with Essendon*.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/21/could-nakia-cockatoo-be-about-to-take-flight/

Does carlton really have the best conditioning program/ people?

Can we do better than what we are?

Why do players of other teams put on more muscle than our players, or is this purely perception, that the grass is greener on the other side?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

From same SEN report:

Quote:
Tim Watson believes the lure of the sunshine state would be strong for players looking to reboot their careers.

“It might just be the warmer weather, your ability to do things when you train…” Watson pondered on SEN Breakfast.

“When they speak to prospective recruits (they can say) ‘mate, come up here, you’re going to love the way the weather is, it helps you to train.’

“Even if you’re doing rehab you’re out there in the sunshine, it lifts your spirits.”

Garry Lyon says it gives the Lions a competitive advantage as they look to piece a premiership list together.

"You get them at a premium, you’re not paying through the nose, you’re not giving up two first rounders,” he enthused.

“Here’s a bloke who is broken, who most people in the footy world - certainly the club he was at - acknowledge has unbelievable upside…

“It doesn’t cost anything and they turn him into a player.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next