Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2021 injuries
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

EXCLUSIVE

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blu ... 57rd9.html

Blues skipper Cripps has been playing with back fracture
By Michael Gleeson
May 13, 2021 — 8.55am

Carlton captain Patrick Cripps has been playing this season with a fracture in his back that has needed weekly injections to help him play, but has not left him at risk of worsening the injury.

Cripps suffered a heavy knock in a pre-season game that left him with a small fracture in his back. The injury, confirmed by sources, impaired his movement and he has struggled below his knees and to bend, reducing some of his power game particularly in the early rounds of the season.

It had been reported early in the season that Cripps was playing hurt with a mystery injury that needed weekly injections but the nature of the injury was unknown.

His back injury is believed to be similar to that of fellow Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale, who suffered a knock in the game against Collingwood in round three. Scans later identified a problem with his back. Neale said at the time the scan was “not a great result” but the club insisted it was not a fracture.

The injury impaired Neale but would not worsen if he played and with treatment he was able to continue. He went on to suffer an ankle injury on Anzac Day weekend against Carlton for which he required surgery.

Similarly, Cripps has played through with the injury and has been eager to play down its impact on his season or have it be seen as an excuse for a drop-off in form.

The change in rules to a more open, faster game has also contributed to a more dulled influence this year for the Carlton skipper, who is out of contract at the end of the year and in negotiations over a new deal.

Cripps’ first weeks of the season in particular were quiet but better explained now the nature of his injury is understood.

Sources said the fracture had continued to improve and had healed in recent weeks, with Cripps confident he was close to returning to his best form.

He has had statistically his leanest season since his first couple of years in the system, according to Champion Data, which observes he is trailing off in impact in the second half of games in particular.

Cripps’ numbers in the second half of games have dropped this year. In his most prolific season in 2016 he averaged 16 touches in the second half of each game. This year it is down to 11.6.

His clearance numbers in second halves are down to 2.5, which is the least since his debut season. And he is not laying the tackles in the second half of games the way he had previously – just 1.9, which is the fewest in any year of his career.

Earlier this season, Neale would not confirm the specifics of his injury, but nor did he suggest that it wasn’t significant.

“To be honest, I’m battling a fair bit. But once I put my hand up to play, I’m the same as everyone. I’ve got to go out there and perform. I thought the first half I was OK. I was labouring a little bit late and I am pretty sore,” Neale told The Age.

“I’ve got a bit going on but I’m sure there’s other guys in the competition that are a bit sore as well. It’s something that I’ll deal with and hopefully it doesn’t keep me out of any games.”

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Did Cripps say something about John Barker?
Now due to the leverage JB obviously has, its play through a broken back champ?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Thanks Effes :thumbsup:

Cripps playing through serious injury has been a liability.

Really, what's the point in playing him this week, let alone previous weeks?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/12/report-patrick-cripps-playing-through-serious-back-injury/

Quote:
He only found 15 disposals in the club’s loss to the Western Bulldogs on the weekend.

SEN’s Andy Maher predicted on Wednesday afternoon that the Blues would rest the star midfielder for this weekend’s clash with Melbourne.

Lets hope sanity prevails, and Carlton players 22 fit players who can run out 4 quarters.

Our run home starts next week with the return of Silvagni, Martin and possibly DeKoning and Newman vs Hawks. Philp and Kemp are expected to resume in the VFL after the bye this weekend.

Post subject: 2021 injuries
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am 
Wayne Johnston

Obviously the pain worsens during the game and affects his second half efforts even more. Just give him a few weeks off FFS.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:11 am 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
Our run home starts next week with the return of Silvagni, Martin and possibly DeKoning and Newman vs Hawks. Philp and Kemp are expected to resume in the VFL after the bye this weekend.

Is Martin that close?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:12 am 
Wayne Johnston

CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Is Martin that close?

1-2 weeks…..

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:28 am 
Ken Hunter

I get that playing on doesn't mean the injury gets worse - but if it's affecting his form and mobility so prominently just rest him.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:02 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Can we get a refund on Russell?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:38 am 
Robert Walls

I’m so @#$%&! tired of this ‘nah, I’m right. The boys need me’ bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

Bloody obvious after watching him struggle at the weekend vs Bulldogs. Give him off till after the bye (minimum). MC and coach need to toughen up here. Plenty of kids in the 2's to try out including those who have already been tried out. Cripps needs a break whether he agrees to it or not.

Further more .... That Teague interview this morning re: Cripps etc sounds like crap to me. If the club really think Cripps is OK then they're all on the juice. Time to play the fittest.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Can we get a refund on Russell?

Have you seen every other Club's injury lists?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

Explains a lot regarding Cripps.
It has been obvious to all of us that something was wrong.
Give him a rest for a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Quote:
It had been reported early in the season that Cripps was playing hurt with a mystery injury that needed weekly injections but the nature of the injury was unknown.

His back injury is believed to be similar to that of fellow Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale...

Cripps has a Brownlow now...? :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

GWS wrote:
Quote:

His back injury is believed to be similar to that of fellow Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale...

Cripps has a Brownlow now...? :lol:

Good pick up, I hadn't noticed that.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

I hear he broke his back at Lyndsay Fox's place

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:02 pm 
Garry Crane

This might have been discussed a hundred times over but I am unclear about the line between the medical staff, the high performance / conditioning staff and the Match Committee lies anymore..

If a player has a fracture in their back or heart arrhythmia or planta fasciitis or osteitis pubis or hamstring tear or stuffed patella, wouldn't it be principally the responsibility of medical staff to unconditionally determine whether they should be playing or rested?

I reckon of the recent era Thomas, Kruezer, Murphy, Cripps, Marchbank, Charlie, Cunningham, McGovern spring to mind players that incurred significant medical conditions but probably suffered more from poor physical management.

I could be wrong but I would have thought the medical staff would have played a greater role in determining their readiness than what seems to be the case.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Monday wrote:
This might have been discussed a hundred times over but I am unclear about the line between the medical staff, the high performance / conditioning staff and the Match Committee lies anymore..

If a player has a fracture in their back or heart arrhythmia or planta fasciitis or osteitis pubis or hamstring tear or stuffed patella, wouldn't it be principally the responsibility of medical staff to unconditionally determine whether they should be playing or rested?

I reckon of the recent era Thomas, Kruezer, Murphy, Cripps, Marchbank, Charlie, Cunningham, McGovern spring to mind players that incurred significant medical conditions but probably suffered more from poor physical management.

I could be wrong but I would have thought the medical staff would have played a greater role in determining their readiness than what seems to be the case.

Great post.

Great question.

Maybe Adrian Whitehead may be able to help give them the answer

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

(Whitehead)... Ouch!...

If the medical staff say he should not play.. he won't play...
If they say he can, the fitness staff will get him ready to...

That's pretty much it

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
I hear he broke his back at Lyndsay Fox's place

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:17 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/13/ ... ty-return/

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next