Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2021 injuries
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:39 pm 
Banned

Season over for Gov - at 27 years old and can hardly get a game it's curtains.

Luckily for him we will need Charlie on the park or find another key forward through the draft or trade - if we do the nit's going to be tough for him.

Two hammies in a season is usually sayonara.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

Gutted for him.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

Russell really is earning every cent with us.
I often do wonder how many of these injuries, in particular stress fractures are related to our home ground surface?

Post subject: 2021 injuries
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
You're such an optimist :lol:

I'm a cynical old @#$%&! with multiple burns of false optimism past :smoking:

And given today’s news of ANOTHER player gone for most of the year, can you blame me?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

....I think the penny has (finally) dropped for McGovern, that injury is because he truly pushed himself beyond his limitations.. ..crap thing is, his limitations weren't where they should be for his time in the system..

....let's see if he is a litmus test for our club.. ....let's see how good our hyped up staff are..

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:50 pm 
Horrie Clover

As you know, I don't post often, as everyone says " ah, it's EP from Big Footy". No I'm just a humble supporter who has been going most weeks since 67.

Can anyone tell me one thing which Russell has done which has improved any player at our club?

He looks like a bloke who'd beat anyone in a marathon but explode if he got hit in a contest.

I didn't like the smug Betts thing last year.

Injury seems to follow injury.

Clarkson is being shown up for what we have always known he is when he has no cattle.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:26 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Russell got lucky at Hawks- right place, right time, Wright recruitment of durable players. He is another Butifant

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:43 am 
formerly King Kenny

I can tell you what he has done wrong. Made our players too skinny.

I swear we are the only club that has players get lighter when recruited.

Look at the Fog as an example of a player who has come into our system young, with an AFL body at a young age, and compare him to others of similar age.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

eric pascoe wrote:
As you know, I don't post often, as everyone says " ah, it's EP from Big Footy". No I'm just a humble supporter who has been going most weeks since 67.

Can anyone tell me one thing which Russell has done which has improved any player at our club?

He looks like a bloke who'd beat anyone in a marathon but explode if he got hit in a contest.

I didn't like the smug Betts thing last year.

Injury seems to follow injury.

Clarkson is being shown up for what we have always known he is when he has no cattle.

Thoughts?

Nah, I see your name around...I just say its "eric everywhere... :wink:

I have been making the point about Clarkson since 2010, when I found out how much input the leaders Hodge Mitchell and Lewis have on the mechanics of the Hawks footy team on and off field. Reminded me of Parkin saying the 95 team could coach itself.

Haven't wanted Clarkson because he's nothing without those leaders who made decisions and gave direction on the field. Now look at him without the leaders let alone a few stand out stars.

Remember when Pratt sent Shane OSullivan, and someone else to Sth Africa around 2010 to get the best fitness coach available, who happened to be the fitness coach of the Australian Cricket team, (name escapes, me , he was a mates cousin too). Anyway, it was a 24 hour trip to get the signature. After declining the Carlton offer, they went back with a sharpened pencil with an offer he could not refuse, and signed the dotted line. Shane and Co flew back to Pratt with the signature of th Best Available. We continued to see injuries, skinny players, and fitness levels did not reciprocate with results we expected. On a side note, Effendrug* came out looking like monsters (and we know why) and smashed us in round 4 2012.

Can a fitness guru transform players bodies to give them strngth, bulk and speed, or does something give with too much of either?

With regards to the smug thing last year. On 360 this week, Bettes did say he is loving life, and enjoying being at the club regardless of his role, and he let the media get into his head last year, making him unhappy and affected his form. So there must be something in that.

Hawks players/people (Mitchell, Brereton) thought the best recruit the same year we got Russell, was Russell.

My thoughts?

I'm disappointed with all the injuries. But I ask, how many of those injuries can be attributed to a lack of strength, which could be, and should be addressed by Russell?

More questions than answers.

Gov's hamstring. SOS selected him. Russell stregthened him. We all think that we saw for the first time Gov really extend himself to sprint hard, and ping. Is Govs physical consitution the problem?

What we do know, when Effedopes* under Worsfold in his first year were doing soft tissue injuries every week and a pattern was there and questions needed to be asked. They got rid of their fitness coach come seasons end.

I agree that the players look too skinny for AFL football, and they should be bigger stronger (Geelong like), well like most other teams. With tha, they are knocked off the ball too easily imo, compared to other teams. Has Russell focussed too much on running and not strength and muscle? That's the big question for me.

Finally, I don't know any player who has been tranformed by Russell strength and conditioning regime. Stocker is still Stocker etc etc

Good questions EP.

Has been discussed several times on TC. Plenty of questions of Russell with our injury list last year and again this year.

As for Charlies injury...he's an idiot, and we only know what we've been told. Russell is innocent there.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

JK wrote:
Russell got lucky at Hawks- right place, right time, Wright recruitment of durable players. He is another Butifant

Butifant !! That's him.

Wright recruitment :lol: ...strong bodies, left footers and highly skilled. He got lucky too.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:38 am 
Bruce Doull

I can't believe he's not Butifant

(© bluehammer)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:41 pm 
Bert Deacon

BIGGER AND STRONGER for years i have saying that our players comeback after pre season always looking same shape, i go back as far waite ,gibbs and i remember saying has the CFC have a gym. Watching opposition players walk through our tackles costly.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

I’m less concerned about the physical injuries (many of them are through bad luck or contact injuries), I’d be more worried about mindset. It was talked up a lot that we would see our players evolve into ruthless, hardened AFL footballers, but I still see Dow, Setterfield and O’Brien lacking in confidence every time they step out.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Remember when Pratt sent Shane OSullivan, and someone else to Sth Africa around 2010 to get the best fitness coach available, who happened to be the fitness coach of the Australian Cricket team, (name escapes, me , he was a mates cousin too).

I can’t speak to your mate’s cousin, but you’re thinking of Justin Cordy.

He shouldn’t have been that hard to vet. Fair dinkum egotistical maniac, recruited out of the worst culture in Australian sport.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Remember when Pratt sent Shane OSullivan, and someone else to Sth Africa around 2010 to get the best fitness coach available, who happened to be the fitness coach of the Australian Cricket team, (name escapes, me , he was a mates cousin too).

He shouldn’t have been that hard to vet. Fair dinkum egotistical maniac, recruited out of the worst culture in Australian sport.

Butifant was Malthouses man. Got that wrong.

Cordy!! Yeah, he didnt work wonders, that's for sure.

Goodonya :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
I can't believe he's not Butifant

(© bluehammer)
Respect

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

What vexes me about all this is if Russell is so bad at his job, how come he never had these issues at his previous clubs?

Either he’s doing something different, or our players are made of glass.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 pm 
Banned

Richmond arrogance thinking few injuries is ok but get clobbered by 10 goals

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Butifant was Malthouses man. Got that wrong.

Cordy!! Yeah, he didnt work wonders, that's for sure.

Goodonya :thumbsup:

Kreuzer was more likely to win Le Tour under him than play a full season of first ruck.

Him being an absolute cauliflower to work with undoubtedly contributed to Ratten’s demise.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:28 am 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:
What vexes me about all this is if Russell is so bad at his job, how come he never had these issues at his previous clubs?

Either he’s doing something different, or our players are made of glass.

The latter. Look at all the players we've recruited with shit fitness records, and the numerous TC posts saying "if he can get over those injuries, we'll have snaffled a real bargain!" There's a reason they were in the bargain bin to start with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next