Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Being a glass half empty guy here are my thoughts
As the season has progressed Walsh has got better

Weitering AA
SPS best game for a while. Has had so many chances was due
Plowman very good on Papley
TDK keep playing him regardless. Could be a ripper
Cripps worked his way into it
Ed Curnow did the job on Parker
Cottrell has brain fades but his run is incredible. With longer quarters next year he could be an asset. Great mark and goal

Plowman was terrible the week before because Collingwood did their homework on him
Hates it and panics whenisolated near goals. Is a limited player. Papley is terrible in the air so Plowman had a good night and Papley has been crap the past month.
He will likely get McAdam on Sunday who plays close to goals and is a terrific mark for his size. See how he goes then

Cuningham a pretender. Simply doesn’t get involved enough. I would be trying Honey, Philp, Ramsay before him
Setterfield simply not hard enough in close. Will never win a Stawell gift so that’s his job.
Martin simply he picks and chooses when to put in IMO
Yes got him for nothing but overrated and takes up to much salary cap space for the output
Gone for the year anyway. Simply needs to get heaps fitter and run more

McKay must have a set shot routine worked out next year. That goal from straight in front was embarrassing even though it went through. Falls over too easily . Simply has to harden up.

Mc Govern. Worst game ever. Was a witches hat on beta blockers only worse.

Adelaide Sunday will be interesting

We are harder to play against but our ball movement is woeful and we simply don’t run hard enough
Hoping that Philp Honey Ramsay Phillips oBrien Dow can step up otherwise our ladder position won’t change

Understand his role and quit with the Setterfield bashing, you're having a laugh. Cripps is down and our clearance game is still strong.

Last edited by Navy Blue Horse on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:44 am 
Craig Bradley

Coach B wrote:
Glad to see us still fighting at the end of the season, nice to get yhe W after being down 39 points.

Don't care if we make the finals or not this season, but from 1 game and % behind with 2 to go it is a massive long shot anyway. I think it is important we get the Crows and compete with the Lions.

I really enjoyed:
1. An extra body at the clearance, we didn't get as many loose balls flying out for the opposition to jump on and run, we kept it tight and dominated.
2. Bringing the ball back into the corridor after half time with play on intent. Thought we were very exciting running down the guts.
3. Adjustments that meant we didn't get beaten on the outside or over the back as often after half time.

Really didn't enjoy:
1. Our forward 50 entries, clearly our forward coaching structure isn't up to AFL standards. It is holding us back....
2. Disposal by foot is too inconsistent, we need significant work on kicking skills this off-season.

Loved Crippa's goal, real lifter for the boys.

Thought out backhalf were fantastic from half way through the second quarter, winners everywhere.

CB

Issues are the connect between the mids and forwards more than the forwards themselves. Without that connect it's not easy to set up a forward structure. this is where COVID kicks in. You can't work on that connect as most off the time you can only train with 8 at a time. This season really favors those established sides that have a well-versed, entrenched game style.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I'm pretty sure Setterfield played on Rowbottom most of the night. The bloke who has been one of the Swans real driving forces the last 6 weeks. And killed him. Stats sheets don't show everything.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 am 
Geoff Southby

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
keogh wrote:

Weitering AA
Cottrell has brain fades but his run is incredible. With longer quarters next year he could be an asset. Great mark and goal

Plowman was terrible the week before because Collingwood did their homework on him
Hates it and panics whenisolated near goals. Is a limited player. Papley is terrible in the air so Plowman had a good night and Papley has been crap the past month.
He will likely get McAdam on Sunday who plays close to goals and is a terrific mark for his size. See how he goes then

Cuningham a pretender. Simply doesn’t get involved enough. I would be trying Honey, Philp, Ramsay before him
Setterfield simply not hard enough in close. Will never win a Stawell gift so that’s his job.
Yes got him for nothing but overrated and takes up to much salary cap space for the output

McKay must have a set shot routine worked out next year. That goal from straight in front was embarrassing even though it went through. Falls over too easily . Simply has to harden up.

We are harder to play against but our ball movement is woeful and we simply don’t run hard enough
Hoping that Philp Honey Ramsay Phillips oBrien Dow can step up otherwise our ladder position won’t change

Understand his role and quit with the Setterfield bashing, you're having a laugh.

He needs to get his hands dirty nbh
If he is going to be a mid it has to be an inside mid
He doesn’t extract the ball enough
He needs to be harder and stronger in there
Does have good vision close in and is creative with handball. That’s the best thing about him.
But he is a limited player
A big kid as a junior. Other blokes mature later has brought him back to the pack.
Paid overs for him
Not as bad as money bags McGovern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:56 am 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
Coach B wrote:
Glad to see us still fighting at the end of the season, nice to get yhe W after being down 39 points.

Don't care if we make the finals or not this season, but from 1 game and % behind with 2 to go it is a massive long shot anyway. I think it is important we get the Crows and compete with the Lions.

I really enjoyed:
1. An extra body at the clearance, we didn't get as many loose balls flying out for the opposition to jump on and run, we kept it tight and dominated.
2. Bringing the ball back into the corridor after half time with play on intent. Thought we were very exciting running down the guts.
3. Adjustments that meant we didn't get beaten on the outside or over the back as often after half time.

Really didn't enjoy:
1. Our forward 50 entries, clearly our forward coaching structure isn't up to AFL standards. It is holding us back....
2. Disposal by foot is too inconsistent, we need significant work on kicking skills this off-season.

Thought out backhalf were fantastic from half way through the second quarter, winners everywhere.

CB

Issues are the connect between the mids and forwards more than the forwards themselves. Without that connect it's not easy to set up a forward structure. this is where COVID kicks in. You can't work on that connect as most off the time you can only train with 8 at a time. This season really favors those established sides that have a well-versed, entrenched game style.

Don’t agree on the COVID excuse.
We don’t have enough runners . We play too much stop start footy and a our foot skills are the worst in the comp. our disposal efficiency is the worst in the comp.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 am 
Stephen Silvagni

keogh wrote:
jim wrote:
Coach B wrote:

I really enjoyed:

Really didn't enjoy:

CB

We don’t have enough runners . We play too much stop start footy and a our foot skills are the worst in the comp. our disposal efficiency is the worst in the comp.

You got a source for the disposal efficiency stat? I'm trying to find one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

ferdinand wrote:
Can't see that we'd lose a thing playing Kennedy in McGovern's spot. Or give Honey another run down there. Or Fraser Phillips. McGovern's just providing so little that even if his replacement does bugger all we haven't lost anything.

Well done to Plow, obliterated Papley. Weitering close to flawless after Reid's early goal. Walsh is a star. Cottrell was pretty ordinary, no left foot, but moments like that are special. Owies didn't really get near it, but with an improved tackling technique might have got himself a couple of frees instead of giving them away. Adrenaline might have done him in when he had his one shot. TDK will be very very good. Though Casboult was better tonight than he has been for a while.

I keep thinking about the potential of this Honey kid.

McGovern has pulled the wool over Teague's eyes

I watched hom carefully, to see what teams things, 1 %ers he brings to the team. ZIP.

If Teague rolls out that line we are better with Gov in the team, then imo Teagues decision making is compromised by his long friendship with Gov.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:16 am 
Geoff Southby

In relation to clearance we are going well.
Cripps hasn’t had as good a year but he is second in clearances in the comp
Curnow is rank 21
Setterfield ranks 47 th but the ranking is mis leading because guys below him have a better average due to missed games
He isn’t quick and is around the contested ball a lot so 3.1 average is well average

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:26 am 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:

McGovern has pulled the wool over Teague's eyes

I watched hom carefully, to see what teams things, 1 %ers he brings to the team. ZIP.

If Teague rolls out that line we are better with Gov in the team, then imo Teagues decision making is compromised by his long friendship with Gov.

:clap: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Going the other way, we don't have an open forward line because all our forwards are too high and the opposition usually outnumbers us because they refuse to follow their men all the way up the ground.

So true. Well spotted. That's why the ball is kicked on their head and they are not leading to, or jumping at the ball.

Harry is an athletic beast but he can't be getting possessions on the wing and then expecting to get back for the F50 entry.

Cons:
Too many ordinary performances. Owies, McGovern, Cotterell, Setterfield (apart from his pressure acts) Levi overall despite getting a few possies and kicking a goal, Cunningham unsighted. Martin before getting injured.

Gee you were close with your observation.

The bottom 6 for Fantasy Points

14. Owies
19. McGovern
33. Cuningham
36. Jones (I don't mind that because he was defense first)
37. Cottrell
38. Williamson (50% Def with his 13 possessions)

You were close BSombrero...next in line and 7th

50. Martin

88. Levi did well

So other than Jones, those above need to improve their efforts and skills imo. Gov should be dropped for the remainder of the year, and the Forwards coach has to get the forward positioning and cohesivenss and connection with mids fixed up Only 2 games left to practise that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Gee, we made hard work of that. But we got there in the end.
Fantastic clutch moment from Cottrell.
Walsh was magnificent. Rest of the midfield very good.
Plowman, Weiters and SPS were terrific in defence. Best game we've seen from SPS for a while. Just seemed to have an intensity that's often missing.
Fish and Newnes looked dangerous forward.
De Koning continues to show very exciting glimpses.
Liked Owies defensive intensity. Was pretty stiff to be penalised a couple of times for good tackles.

Cons:

Forward inefficiency.
3 goals touched on the line. Casboult again missing an easy goal, when really needed.
Swans never missing. Seemed to kick goals out of nowhere.
Two early goals conceded to contested marks, which should have been spoiled.
Lewis Taylor's staging for frees.

TDK has shown more than glimpses.
He took on the game and held marks and as for his 2nd and 3rd efforts for the ground ball and win is a great lesson for Dow and possibly OBrien.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
Liked Williamson's game as well. Although he always seems to manage a diabolical mistake once or twice a game.

53% Def
13 disposals

They're the facts.

Half his disposals is more than twice Stef.

He got out positioned too.

A couple of his kicks were centimetre perfect. I was rapt to see his weapon.

He is no where near perfect, just yet, for the crucial position of HBF
Something he has to work on in the next 2 weeks and over summer.

I'm about to watch the replay again to see what I missed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Heavs wrote:
I'm pretty sure Setterfield played on Rowbottom most of the night. The bloke who has been one of the Swans real driving forces the last 6 weeks. And killed him. Stats sheets don't show everything.

Yep.

Rowie has been in great form too.

Setters seemed too big for him...moreso too tall and Setters got his hands on ball first because of that.

I will be interested to hear Rowies thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Heavs wrote:

Yep.

Rowie has been in great form too.

Setters seemed too big for him...moreso too tall and Setters got his hands on ball first because of that.

I will be interested to hear Rowies thoughts.

The thing is (and I only use my eyes), Rowbottom seems to get a lot of his touches on the spread/rebound rather than in close. Setters stopped him cold there as well.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
keogh wrote:

Weitering AA

Understand his role and quit with the Setterfield bashing, you're having a laugh.

He needs to get his hands dirty nbh
If he is going to be a mid it has to be an inside mid
He doesn’t extract the ball enough
He needs to be harder and stronger in there
Does have good vision close in and is creative with handball. That’s the best thing about him.
But he is a limited player
A big kid as a junior. Other blokes mature later has brought him back to the pack.
Paid overs for him
Not as bad as money bags McGovern

Setters killed the in form very fit rowbottom.
Setters is still growing. Wait till his upper body strength improves over he years. He will be a beast.
Rarely bought to ground when tackled.

Setterfield has many strengths you choose to gloss over.
He turned 22 this year

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:49 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Also, just wanted to say, I really enjoyed watching our blokes absolutely smash Blakey into the ground every time he got it after he went for that cheap shot against Setters and come off second best. We don't do that enough.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:51 am 
Bruce Doull

jim wrote:

The 6-6-6 rule hasn't helped us either this year I reckon. In the old days Teague could've parked extra players in defence for the centre bounce when we were copping a one of our30 point swings.

Anyway we just have to keep adjusting & adapting like the rest of the comp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
jim wrote:

The 6-6-6 rule hasn't helped us either this year I reckon. In the old days Teague could've parked extra players in defence for the centre bounce when we were copping a one of our30 point swings.

Anyway we just have to keep adjusting & adapting like the rest of the comp

Can't we just blame Barker?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:56 am 
Adrian Gallagher

kingkerna wrote:
keogh wrote:
jim wrote:
Coach B wrote:

I really enjoyed:

Really didn't enjoy:

CB

You got a source for the disposal efficiency stat? I'm trying to find one.

Don't agree that our forward line issues are connection issues, our only strategy is to kick long to the square and everyone knows it and we have 6 defenders camped there like crocs at feeding time.

Compare that to the West Coast when Ryan kicks laterally to midfielder running forward to space. He also has the option of Darling or Kennedy hitting up in straight lines with a step or two advantage.

Or Geelong with Hawkins Island where everyone clears out and creates a 1 on 1. If they try to double team creates the loose man.

We've got u12 footy, bang it in and see what happens.

CB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I can't believe that [REDACTED] up bias umpire who was only metres away from the Cripps tackle on Taylor paid a free.
:twisted:

Moreso, I can't believe Im hearing nothing about him at all other than it being a "dubious free" :screwy:

Anyone know the umpires No. and Name.
He is as bad as Naiffen No. 22. :oops:

He should be strung up, stoned and dropped.

What a prick of a thing to do to the hardworking Cripps who wanted to strip the ball whilst taylor was throwing his head back...which gave the umpire a better view that there was nothing head high. Absolute cheat who wanted fame in the papers.

Disgrace the prick. :donk: I'm going to watch the replay and I will hang the bastard on this forum. :mad:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next