Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
Agreed, we did work hard, no issues there. Didn't just throw in the towel and play the fatigue card like the Suns did against us. I'm no tactical expert, but as someone mentioned earlier, it seemed criminal not to have a spare defender in the last Q to guard the space behind the contest: unforgivable that we conceded 3 goals just by them bombing over the top. Should have seen that coming a mile away, I remember when they beat Richmond a while back that was the entirety of their 2nd half gameplan and it worked a treat.

I'm about to watch the game again.

Interesting that Teague said in the post match they did have an extra behind the ball and he was disappointed they scored 4 goals from 5 entries.

When you have the steady brains and organisational skills of Jones and williamson, would you expect more?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Jones and co make a mistake and it costs us a goal.
Harry kicks 1-3 at the other end plus one that would have been a point except it was stopped on the line.

Which is worse? A FB who gives away two or a FF that misses 4?

A good question. Jones and Williamson together twice cost us a goal, both of which should have been prevented if they talked!
Harry's misses weren't simple shots but you would hope at least 2 out of the 4 would be goals. In the end if Harry has the ball then we are at least playing the game in our forward 50 which is the game plan and means the opposition is not scoring. I thought the Jones/Williams incidents that cost us 2 goals were more frustrating and therefore worse given the way the game was played.

They were a it painful but also remember they haven't played much together. The first one was a yours, no yours, no yours moment...
We need stability in the back six.
Jones, Plowman and Weiters are getting it together as a team, although they all still make the odd mistake.. Well not Weiters so much.
Jones big strength is his ability in the air. Willo is better at ground level. They'll work it out.

Only if Jones uses his Golden Fist like he did when he made it back as a FB.

He use to punch everything towards the boundary and clear it.

Now he tries to paddle, mark, kick across goals.

Jones took a high fingertip mark last night after numerous, not mistakes, but brain fades, and f he didn't hold onto it there was 2 GWS on the floor waiting to take it away. Even that one he should have punched it as far as he can.

I know his strength and his limitations. If he doesn't play within his limitations he is a huge liability.

Tell me, how confident you are when the ball is on the ground and Joenes tries to paddle the ball? What about when he's looking to pass it off by foot? Scares the shit out of me....coz I know there's a high chance a goal against is likely.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jamespul65 wrote:
once again our u 12 game plan of bombing the ball into a congested forward line cost us the game ,until we find mids that have breakaway speed and can choose best option we are not going to improve .Also players need a huge preseason to increase there running capabilities to provide an option ,get to fall of the ball .get to front of the pack either in our forward line or defence . Hodge made a statement wen doc had the ball in defence " said doc has no options like to see carlton players run and present " but it didn't happen so he kicks the ball to a contest on wing .I thought to myself this has always been our problem .

My 12yo said they play like 12yo, players waiting a kick ahead waiting for someone to bomb it their way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dane wrote:
I don't think we are that far off.

Sack Barker.

Get Charlie back.

Retire a few.

Stop bombing inside 50.

It really is as simple as that.

We had plenty of ball in our forward 50.

Play within your limitations till we get a better player to replace you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
Tell me, how confident you are when the ball is on the ground and Joenes tries to paddle the ball? What about when he's looking to pass it off by foot? Scares the shit out of me....coz I know there's a high chance a goal against is likely.

Oh god, every time he switches play in the back 50 is a heart-in-mouth moment. Remember that one in the 3rd where he scuffed it about 20 metres along the ground, missing his target by the same distance. Luckily the GWS player rushed his shot and missed by a foot.

He never used to be a bad kick but now that he's fluffed a few switches, you can tell the doubt has crept in and now he's @#$%&! them up with regularity.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Oh god, every time he switches play in the back 50 is a heart-in-mouth moment. Remember that one in the 3rd where he scuffed it about 20 metres along the ground, missing his target by the same distance. Luckily the GWS player rushed his shot and missed by a foot.

He never used to be a bad kick but now that he's fluffed a few switches, you can tell the doubt has crept in and now he's @#$%&! them up with regularity.

Liability till we find someone around the same height with more composure. Macreadie not strong enough yet imo. Ben Silvagni probably a better footballer but he's 4-5 years away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Navy One wrote:
That Jones / Williamson gaff that led to a GWS goal was farcical ...... embarrassing

Good teams don't do that ..... middle of the road teams don't do that either

TALK

Basic stuff

TALK

even once they blew that aspect, Jones' choice to head for the boundary rather than the goal line, and then keep it in, was u10 stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Navy One wrote:
That Jones / Williamson gaff that led to a GWS goal was farcical ...... embarrassing

TALK

Basic stuff

TALK

even once they blew that aspect, Jones' choice to head for the boundary rather than the goal line, and then keep it in, was u10 stuff.

Liability

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluechampion wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
We kick straight and we win.

And if they'd kicked straight in the first half?

Please see the final line of the quoted post.

Fair enough bc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

After all that, the season is glass half full despite the frustrations the year has brought. We've only played one bad game but a number of frustrating ones. We have been highly competitive against any side, but lacked the composure to go out and finish sides off when on top. Last qtrs in big games under pressure have killed us. 4 sides in the 8, 2 in the top 4 we had control of of to let it slip. So we are good enough, no composed enough. Alot of gains this year, about where we should be, but it could've been so much better. 6-8 really should be 8-6. When you've had a losing mentality for years suddenly being in a position to win games and play finals was something we couldn't cope with. Part of the process I suppose. We couldn't kick that extra goal to really put the heat on the opposition and continually left the door ajar for them by not having the composure to both use the ball and to kick straight when needed. Last 7 second halves has resulted in us scoring 13.42! Not going to win alot kicking at goal like that. Had to have been 2-3 more wins if that was 42.13, or even 25.20. It's been nice to be playing for finals 3 games out, such a lovely change, but brings a much higher level of frustration too when it goes wrong. Win last night and we likely make with our draw. Swans did the right things by us, we got out to 15pts up at 3/4 time but sadly $hit the bed again. So rather than be out of the 8 on percentage we are now 2 games out. Overall the the progress has been good but there is still so much to get right to keep taking steps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

GreatEx wrote:
re: dominance, AFL teams are picking up on the soccer tactic known as counter-attacking football. Plenty of coaches (Jose Mourinho, notably) are happy to let the other team have the lion's share of possession, set up deep defensive lines and help to catch out the dominant team with a downfield punt to a speedy forward running into acres of space. With no offside trap available in Aussie Rules, coaches have to use a deep-lying spare defender to counter the tactic, and yet GWS's forward 50 was completely barren for long stretches of Q4. I don't get it.

I was at the game, you are absolutely correct - GWS flooded our forward line and in my seeing of it took simple advantage of just a few inevitable forward thrusts over the back.
(We shouldn't lose games from a few opposition goals created like this as we SHOULD be countering with more than adequate scoring of our own.)

However, the rest of the time it was Carlton that had the 'defensive lines': we had a 'wall' of 3,4-5 players across the centre constantly rebounding back forward.

What happened next?
That's in my next post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Navy One wrote:

TALK

Basic stuff

TALK

Yep, I couldn't believe that passage of play, I had to replay it to make sure that it really did happen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Harry kicks 1-3 at the other end plus one that would have been a point except it was stopped on the line.

A good question. Jones and Williamson together twice cost us a goal, both of which should have been prevented if they talked!
Harry's misses weren't simple shots but you would hope at least 2 out of the 4 would be goals. In the end if Harry has the ball then we are at least playing the game in our forward 50 which is the game plan and means the opposition is not scoring. I thought the Jones/Williams incidents that cost us 2 goals were more frustrating and therefore worse given the way the game was played.

They were a it painful but also remember they haven't played much together. The first one was a yours, no yours, no yours moment...
Jones, Plowman and Weiters are getting it together as a team, although they all still make the odd mistake.. Well not Weiters so much.
Jones big strength is his ability in the air. Willo is better at ground level. They'll work it out.

Jones took a high fingertip mark last night after numerous, not mistakes, but brain fades, and f he didn't hold onto it there was 2 GWS on the floor waiting to take it away. Even that one he should have punched it as far as he can.

I know his strength and his limitations. If he doesn't play within his limitations he is a huge liability.

I cringe when the ball is in his hands.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:15 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

That deer in the headlights look sometimes reminds me of Paul Bower and the good old days of him with Luke Livingston :yikes:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

Gutted.
Absolutely gutted.
495 very upset fellow travellers there last night (+ 5 GWS supporters)
It was so quiet I took the opportunity to lean over the rails and yell some very pointed remarks to several players within earshot but they just seemed to ignore me.

We have a COACHING CULPABILITY CRISIS.

I saw a complete and utter lack of movement by almost the entire team last night. They looked like they were at the least energetic next morning post-game warm down session in history.

If there was anyone on the coaching staff that may have the player's respect they should have walked up to each and every player except Sam Walsh, grabbed them by the chin, looked them squarely in the eyes and bellowed:
"Why aren't you respecting Yourself and this Jumper?
Why don't you show/play like you have Half the dignity and determination of that dirty Richmond mongrel Dustin Martin?
HE never stops - YOU never even Start!
Until you can DO THAT, you don't deserve a paycheck!"

TACTICS / STRATEGY

There are None. That's the entirety of the problem.
For the first time in 20 years we do have the players and they do have the skills but it's the Execution that is absolutely Abysmal.

Broken record here, but...

1. No one presents. No movement forward of the ball time and time and time again so Always dependent on winning contested ball which we have been extremely fortunate to be able to do our fair share of due to 'those' players and skills. But that is not enough to win games of football, it's just enough to not get flogged anymore.

2. No overlapping run past the ball holder.
As someone else did post, there are attempts occasionally but always ignored.
Doing it, as the best clubs do consistently (Geelong, Richmond) gains at least another 15-30 metres that has the result of unsettling the 'ready to go pack' that forms the estimated kick distance ahead to reveal potential players in free space past or laterally to that congestion.

3. No leading out by our forwards.
Forwards competing for overhead marks just doesn't cut it.
How sick and tired do you get watching Hawkins, Lynch, Riewoldt, Kennedy, Darling running hard out on a lead for a straight forward chest mark??!!
I am heartily sick of it coz i cringe in that moment of recognition that I WON'T see that from the Carlton forward line.

Here's a recipe for success:
Casboult, McKay, McGovern all stand in the goal square at ALL times and when the ball appears over half way they ALL start running in Different directions - one straight forward, the others in opposite 45 degree directions.
THEN our maligned mids can drill it low onto the clearest looking chest at an achievable range of only 30-35 m out and Not on tight angles near the boundary.
yes- it means practice practice practice; but if they put in the effort and the coaching staff reinforce it we Win Every Game.

When those circumstances aren't created on other forward entries, then slam it over the top toward goal so an Eddie can run onto it and score.

NOT ROCKET SCIENCE - Just watch winning Richmond, Geelong games.

speaking of which....

4. Teague should be locked in a room and made to spend an entire week watching Richmond, Geelong & WC games with a stack of notepads so he can draw a diagram of EVERY successful forward entry by those teams in every game.
He is only allowed out when he can show the full set of diagrams with corresponding Carlton players names pencilled in.

We've had 2nd rate (non)coaching for 20 years.

Anyone, who thinks Teague has done ok coz he's almost broken even is kidding themselves: a favorable comparison to the previous deadbeat Bolton makes no sense as he was historically the worst coach Carlton ever had - which was never a surprise to me as he had NOT played one single game of AFL football.

Enough is enough. No-one at the club should escape having to go back to grade-school basics.
We should not let Teague have the typical 'honeymoon period' that creepingly extends to another 5 wasted years until someone steps in yet again.
He needs to demonstrate he is capable of implementing much of the above in the remaining three games or he should be ditched in October.

The list we have now IS good enough if properly coached and drilled.

The time to act is NOW while we still have a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CC1961 wrote:
Gutted.
Absolutely gutted.
495 very upset fellow travellers there last night (+ 5 GWS supporters)
It was so quiet I took the opportunity to lean over the rails and yell some very pointed remarks to several players within earshot but they just seemed to ignore me.

We have a COACHING CULPABILITY CRISIS.

I saw a complete and utter lack of movement by almost the entire team last night. They looked like they were at the least energetic next morning post-game warm down session in history.

If there was anyone on the coaching staff that may have the player's respect they should have walked up to each and every player except Sam Walsh, grabbed them by the chin, looked them squarely in the eyes and bellowed:
"Why aren't you respecting Yourself and this Jumper?
Why don't you show/play like you have Half the dignity and determination of that dirty Richmond mongrel Dustin Martin?
HE never stops - YOU never even Start!
Until you can DO THAT, you don't deserve a paycheck!"

TACTICS / STRATEGY

There are None. That's the entirety of the problem.
For the first time in 20 years we do have the players and they do have the skills but it's the Execution that is absolutely Abysmal.

Broken record here, but...

1. No one presents. No movement forward of the ball time and time and time again so Always dependent on winning contested ball which we have been extremely fortunate to be able to do our fair share of due to 'those' players and skills. But that is not enough to win games of football, it's just enough to not get flogged anymore.

2. No overlapping run past the ball holder.
As someone else did post, there are attempts occasionally but always ignored.
Doing it, as the best clubs do consistently (Geelong, Richmond) gains at least another 15-30 metres that has the result of unsettling the 'ready to go pack' that forms the estimated kick distance ahead to reveal potential players in free space past or laterally to that congestion.

3. No leading out by our forwards.
Forwards competing for overhead marks just doesn't cut it.
How sick and tired do you get watching Hawkins, Lynch, Riewoldt, Kennedy, Darling running hard out on a lead for a straight forward chest mark??!!
I am heartily sick of it coz i cringe in that moment of recognition that I WON'T see that from the Carlton forward line.

Here's a recipe for success:
Casboult, McKay, McGovern all stand in the goal square at ALL times and when the ball appears over half way they ALL start running in Different directions - one straight forward, the others in opposite 45 degree directions.
THEN our maligned mids can drill it low onto the clearest looking chest at an achievable range of only 30-35 m out and Not on tight angles near the boundary.
yes- it means practice practice practice; but if they put in the effort and the coaching staff reinforce it we Win Every Game.

When those circumstances aren't created on other forward entries, then slam it over the top toward goal so an Eddie can run onto it and score.

NOT ROCKET SCIENCE - Just watch winning Richmond, Geelong games.

speaking of which....

4. Teague should be locked in a room and made to spend an entire week watching Richmond, Geelong & WC games with a stack of notepads so he can draw a diagram of EVERY successful forward entry by those teams in every game.
He is only allowed out when he can show the full set of diagrams with corresponding Carlton players names pencilled in.

We've had 2nd rate (non)coaching for 20 years.

Anyone, who thinks Teague has done ok coz he's almost broken even is kidding themselves: a favorable comparison to the previous deadbeat Bolton makes no sense as he was historically the worst coach Carlton ever had - which was never a surprise to me as he had NOT played one single game of AFL football.

Enough is enough. No-one at the club should escape having to go back to grade-school basics.
We should not let Teague have the typical 'honeymoon period' that creepingly extends to another 5 wasted years until someone steps in yet again.
He needs to demonstrate he is capable of implementing much of the above in the remaining three games or he should be ditched in October.

The list we have now IS good enough if properly coached and drilled.

The time to act is NOW while we still have a chance.

GOLD

Thank you for your close up observations CC61.
Can't see the formations on tv.

Footy is simple but tough.
Its a physical game and a mental game.

Stengths
Weaknesses
Teamwork

Open up the forwardline.
We are getting it in there.

It can be 2 talls one small leading out.

We are getting it in the 50 and that is important.
Proves we have players who can do it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

Great post CC1961.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

Unfortunately CC1961 the opposition won't play your little game. They won't waste resources waiting in the goal square. Two push up to the middle to apply extra pressure up the ground - they now have 2 extra players around the ball so we are not likely to win it and if we do it will be under extreme pressure and therefore no time to put a 60 meter lace out pass on the chest of a leading forward. The third back will be floating between our half forward and goal square where our 3 forwards are resting and the pressure kick is likely to go to them. Football was so much simpler last century but in essence get the ball to the hot spot is still relevant. Teague said post match we went to short into the forward line rather than putting it at the top of the goal square. That is where our opportunities would have been created.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

watching brisbane now - when was th time we showed any mongrel, or buried someone in a tackle? or pushed someone into the ground hard?

we are too soft and nice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

That's the way Teague wants it.

What was it ... "respect the game" or some other rubbish.

No aggression, no taunting, no trash talking, no pushing, shoving, etc etc -

@#$%&! "the game"

I want a team of mongrels with some aggression

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next