Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
Our boys aren’t physically intimidating so I’m not expecting that.
I just want to see some tactical unpredictability that puts doubt in Geelongs minds and challenges their thinking and confidence. Wishful thinking I know.

David and Goliath.

Remember that story.

Use what you've got.

I remember when my kids were 5 or 6 and they'd run into me when I least expected: bloody hurt.

The can do it if they are conditioned mentally to do it.

Remember how small Byron Picket was? Did you see the small Dogs last night, hit back with everything they could after GWS, the bigger and more credentialed list threw everything at them.

Can't stand defeatist attitudes.

Lets see what they dish up tonight. Don't reflect on Teague's 'dismissive' interview when previewing the game ie he's happy with the way they played the next 3/4ers.
His request for 4 quarter footy implies we expects our boys to hit the opposition as hard as our opposition have hit us and the ball in the first quarter in the last 2 rounds.

Lets see

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
I'd consider bringing in a Philp, Lang or Owies and rest Harry if the weather turns to shit.
The Hawks got flogged at the clearances last week. It's critical we have some dominance in that area. Parfitt and Selwood had 8 clearances each.
Dangerfield 5 and Stanley 6.
Parfitt is a very good player and he's super clean off the deck. Doesn't fumble and straight lines the ball.
This week will be a good challenge for Pittonet. Last week I called for him to be aggressive and physical and I thought he did that as the game went on. Rhys Stanley is an enigma and can light it up again or put in a shocker. Hopeful Pittonet can put him on the back foot from the start.
From memory Pittonet had 5 clearances which was our best after Cripps. We need at least that again. If it's wet, I'd play SPS in the midfield. He's not aggressive but in past wet games, he handles the conditions better than anyone.

The other key for us this week is to use our vision when going forward. Last week we burnt the ball too often going forward. Harry Taylor will have a picnic if we blast it inside 50 high all night. It still haunts me seeing Walsh kick it long to Lever last week when Martin was on his own 15m out from goal late in the game. If it's wet, I'd rather see the ball kicked deep along the ground or to space than up in marking contests. That's why I'd play Levi as the tall bailout, wrecking option and quick blokes around him to win the ground ball.

H/F. Martin. McGovern Cuningham
FF. Betts Levi Owies

Get some speed in there and use the ball to our strengths. (*If it's wet and raining only)

Lastly, we need to take our chances and get an even run from the umpires. We can't miss easy shots and expect to win the game

BOM says "Rain Easing" and northerly 20k wind to lighten up in the arvo.

Looks like the cold front with a huge body of cold air has passed, not the body of cold air, and a trough coming through at midnight with a rain band which may just blow south. Has that next rain band already arrived this morning?

Whats it really look like?

I like your thinking BV.
What it says to me i we have options, we have some speed in reserve, and we have a few smalls who have been firing a shot in the reserves and could be good in the seniors: depth we haven't considered.

I love that Honey and Philp are really obvious surprise candidates to play seniors, since preseason, and Owies has been finding the big sticks and his body is mature enough to handle the big boys.

Dropping Harry if its really wet should be considered. He's isn't quite in form yet as well. If that happens we shouldnt sky the ball into Harry Taylors hands and should consdier ow skidding chaos balls if they are not targeting leading players.

I was privy to hearing Longmire talk to his players before one game, when talls, Franklin, Read, Maismith wre all out and there were no big targets forward. When I saw what a chas ball looks like, I can see how it would work with our smalls Betts, Cunners, Martin, perhaps Owies and Philp may take advantage with this given thei bility to play manic footy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:53 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Agree if it's wet we need to drop a tall.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:04 am 
Bob Chitty

The results thrown up in the last two weeks show that anything can happen if you’re willing to bring 4 quarters of pressure and hard nosed football. This applies no differently to us. Question is are the players willing to do it and have the coaches done everything in their power to make it happen? Wasn’t the case last week and it cost us. Let’s see what they bring tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Accuracy is the key.
Looking back, we played them there 2 years ago on a Saturday night and kicked 5.15 to their 11.7.
More tackles, more inside 50's, more scoring shots.
This year they're averaging 14.6 to our 9.10 (1 more scoring shot) even though we're averaging more Inside 50's and more marks Inside 50.
The big difference is goal assists. 12 to 4.5 and us taking our chances.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... team2_id=4

Last year we were 6.13 to 14.6 at 3/4 time before falling away.
Quinton Narkle jumped up with 27 possessions, 12 score involvements (Second only to Ablett) and 8 clearances. (most of his clearances around the ground). He'll be confident playing against us.
They had Kelly and Parfitt last time who both played very well against us.
We've added Liam Jones, Jack Martin, Betts, Docherty

I'd put Ed on Danger at the centre bounces. Danger had 5 centre clearances last time and from memory killed us running out of the middle. Lets see who they put on Cripps if Danger is locked away.
As mentioned above, the Pittonet/Stanley match up will be huge. Both have shown an ability to win the clearance which is crucial on this ground.
My prediction? If we can get on a roll of reasonable accuracy, we'll be well in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Holy Jesus BV

Great stats and synopsis.

I am soooo keen for tonights game. watching it with a ex Bluebagger and his family. We are not getting together because of the game...well that's what the girls think. if the boys put on a show at Kardinia Park, the belief we will get from this game will.....everyone knows the rest. Bring it on.

We are not that far off...the off field managers of the team may be, but we can do this if we breathe fire, close down Danger and Ablett and as you say BV, be accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:09 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

There is only one stat that matters W or L the rest is just fluff.
Do we really need to know who leads the comp for farts inside forward 50.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:40 am 
Ken Hunter

great SB, so from here on we just go W or L end of discussion, next week W or L end of discussion, next week...@#$%&! riveting stuff really.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:57 am 
Ken Hands

Would like to see Willo onto halfback , SPS onto a wing and Murph start on the bench . Use Murph as a rotating player on the forward line . SPS is not a backman . Want to see a full 4 quarter effort tonight with no lapses , and hardness at the contest. NO excuses at all, it’s time to deliver.We must improve our accuracy in front of goal and general disposal. GO BLUES.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Accuracy is the key.
Looking back, we played them there 2 years ago on a Saturday night and kicked 5.15 to their 11.7.
This year they're averaging 14.6 to our 9.10 (1 more scoring shot) even though we're averaging more Inside 50's and more marks Inside 50.

Quinton Narkle jumped up with 27 possessions, 12 score involvements (Second only to Ablett) and 8 clearances. (most of his clearances around the ground). He'll be confident playing against us.

I'd put Ed on Danger at the centre bounces. Danger had 5 centre clearances last time and from memory killed us running out of the middle. Lets see who they put on Cripps if Danger is locked away.
As mentioned above, the Pittonet/Stanley match up will be huge. Both have shown an ability to win the clearance which is crucial on this ground.
My prediction? If we can get on a roll of reasonable accuracy, we'll be well in the game.

Sit Curnow on Dangerfield, but who sits on Selwood, Duncan and Stevens.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:10 pm 
Banned

AGRO wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Accuracy is the key.

We still got Cripps and Walsh.... hoping to see Setterfield hit form he has it just doesn't bring it. Martin and Gibbons rotating through the middle adds some zip and class.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Accuracy is the key.

We still got Cripps and Walsh.... hoping to see Setterfield hit form he has it just doesn't bring it. Martin and Gibbons rotating through the middle adds some zip and class.

They sit on Cripps and we’re stuffed - sure he might win his share or two of midfield battles this season and maybe get us a win or two with some Herculean efforts - but how many more of these efforts does his body or mind have left until he gets the midfield support he deserves and needs.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

They sit on Cripps then its up to him to beat him....drag him away....forward perhaps....do something.
He rang up Maddie offering advice last year after she was tagged in the Pies game.
He should have learned from his DeBoar flogging a couple of years ago....well he said he did.

Last week Cripps let Oliver dominate him by holding and blocking and doing nothing about it. Dumb selfish footy TBH.

Thought Cripps game last week was one I'd like to forget: he didn't try hard enough imo....and we still nearly got up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

dannyboy wrote:
great SB, so from here on we just go W or L end of discussion, next week W or L end of discussion, next week...@#$%&! riveting stuff really.

Sydney Blue (L)

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Is McGovern out ? ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
Is McGovern out ? ...

All good ... BF ... not accurate ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:50 pm 
Harry Vallence

CFC8795 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
eric pascoe wrote:
Ground is essentially a rectangle and should not host AFL games ( can we please get a Premier who supports Carlton and maybe we could too?)

Michael O'Brien does

Does he really?

Or we could trade the Vic Premier for the NT Chief Minister, Michael Gunner who is an ardent Blues supporter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

So two Victorian clubs playing and the AFL gives Ch 7 the Brisbane Vs West Coast. :roll:

Keeping going fellas ... I'm about half as interested in the footy as I used to be, (rule changes, fixtures ...), won't take much more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
They sit on Cripps then its up to him to beat him....drag him away....forward perhaps....do something.
He rang up Maddie offering advice last year after she was tagged in the Pies game.
He should have learned from his DeBoar flogging a couple of years ago....well he said he did.

Last week Cripps let Oliver dominate him by holding and blocking and doing nothing about it. Dumb selfish footy TBH.

Thought Cripps game last week was one I'd like to forget: he didn't try hard enough imo....and we still nearly got up.

:clap:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

BigKev wrote:
So two Victorian clubs playing and the AFL gives Ch 7 the Brisbane Vs West Coast. :roll:

Keeping going fellas ... I'm about half as interested in the footy as I used to be, (rule changes, fixtures ...), won't take much more.

Trying to please the Perth fans via FTA. Vic teams have been treated 2nd for a fair while now but somehow AFL is so Vic biased.... :banghead: :garthp:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next