Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:45 pm 
Horrie Clover

Been there in person the last two years. As others have said, do not go near the boundary. Ground is essentially a rectangle and should not host AFL games ( can we please get a Premier who supports Carlton and maybe we could too?) I love the ins- two hard nuts and, boy, have we missed Willo's run. I like this side but I worry about Newnes, Simmo and Eddie for very different reasons. Newnes is a slight upgrade on the Mulletts and O'Sheas of this world but only just. Good honest footballer who will give his all but, at the end of the day, is vanilla. Simmo- we all love for obvious reasons but every time he gets the ball I'm in hope as to whether he will hit one of us on the chest. Eddie- more than happy he is in. Jumped out of my chair and yelled "7 years" when he kicked the goal last week but when I see all those guys kicking goals and darting around in that scratch match (Owies, Philp, Phillips, Honey) I sort of think that, maybe, if we are 0 and 4 in two weeks, Eddie, who is and will always be a great mentor and role model, might say, "young guys, you play and I'll teach".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 pm 
Horrie Clover

And, as an addendum to that last post, when we played them in the wet in the last round last year, I swear that we did not get a free for holding the ball. I've been going to the footy since 67 and have never been to a match (other than that one) where we didn't get a free for holding the ball. Without a crowd, I'm hoping we fare much better. Then again, Dangerfield and Selwood seem to think they are umpires..... and get away with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

eric pascoe wrote:
And, as an addendum to that last post, when we played them in the wet in the last round last year, I swear that we did not get a free for holding the ball. I've been going to the footy since 67 and have never been to a match (other than that one) where we didn't get a free for holding the ball. Without a crowd, I'm hoping we fare much better. Then again, Dangerfield and Selwood seem to think they are umpires..... and get away with it.
And we kicked into the wind for 3 quarters...
We need to contest and RUN... from the opening bounce

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

eric pascoe wrote:

This is my ray of hope.

No pro Geelong crowd on the only nonsensical AFL ground, and the boys go in fiercely for as long as they can. Then we will know more about their endurance, and spirit, and pride.

Like you said 2 hard nuts in....another good sign.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Then my next hope is a win in the middle.

Midfield looks a treat with Martin there.

Pittonet v Stanley
Cripps v Dangerfield
Curnow v Selwood
Martin v Duncan

I will sing halelujah if I see JSOS in the midfield throwing his weight around, bruising a few.
Cripps saves his best against the Cats probably because they don't tag.

I've got a good feeling about our chances. Big IF....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

The story so far ..... Rounds 1 and 2

(1) Goaless at quarter time
(2) Opposition have the customary minimal 5 goal lead
(3) Suffer long term injury at the 15 min mark of the 1st quarter
(4) Lose by a smallish margin

Round 3

Hopefully tradition goes out the window
TBC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

eric pascoe wrote:
Ground is essentially a rectangle and should not host AFL games ( can we please get a Premier who supports Carlton and maybe we could too?)

Michael O'Brien does

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am 
Garry Crane

HTP wrote:
Yah in Silvagni and Williamson

Willo the forgotten man love him as a player a left footer to boot totally believe he is part of the puzzle we need

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Let's be honest the chances of a win are virtual nil. I don't mean to be negative, I just think that is the reality. Their midfield could seriously torch ours.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:31 am 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:
eric pascoe wrote:
Ground is essentially a rectangle and should not host AFL games ( can we please get a Premier who supports Carlton and maybe we could too?)

Michael O'Brien does

Does he really?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 am 
Geoff Southby

Blues in a boiler.............remember in the old days we did well down there.Time to relive the past.It can be done and i reckon we will.Cats far from a super side.Good,but thats all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:07 am 
Stephen Silvagni

If we prepare properly and our heads are right you never know.
Have a plan and a mindset that puts a bit of doubt in their heads early and we can win. If we’re soft and predictable we’ll get smashed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:11 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Let's be honest the chances of a win are virtual nil. I don't mean to be negative, I just think that is the reality. Their midfield could seriously torch ours.

If they bleed...we can kill 'em.

I expect our boys to be breathing fire.

Put it this way, if the Cats lose, they will not embarrass themselves infront of their supporters.

If they are losing because we put up a huge 18 v 18 fight, their supporters will not be able to lift their team, nor will they influence the umpires as they usually do.

Just make sure we don't do what Hawks did and capitulate in the midfield or go towards boudaries.

Take them on Head ON !!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:11 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
If we prepare properly and our heads are right you never know.
Have a plan and a mindset that puts a bit of doubt in their heads early and we can win. If we’re soft and predictable we’ll get smashed.

That's about it in a nutshell rexy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:41 am 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Put it this way, if the Cats lose, they will not embarrass themselves infront of their supporters.

If they are losing because we put up a huge 18 v 18 fight, their supporters will not be able to lift their team, nor will they influence the umpires as they usually do.

Just make sure we don't do what Hawks did and capitulate in the midfield or go towards boudaries.

To me the Hawks problem was they looked too big & slow in defence, & the Cats small mids & forwards capitalised. I hope we have that covered.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:43 am 
Bruce Doull

CFC8795 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
eric pascoe wrote:

Michael O'Brien does

Does he really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O ... politician)

Quote:
O'Brien is a supporter of the Carlton Football Club in the Australian Football League and is a co-founder of the Spring Street Blues, a Victorian MP supporter group for Carlton.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

To me the Hawks problem was they looked too big & slow in defence, & the Cats small mids & forwards capitalised. I hope we have that covered.

True

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'd consider bringing in a Philp, Lang or Owies and rest Harry if the weather turns to shit.
The Hawks got flogged at the clearances last week. It's critical we have some dominance in that area. Parfitt and Selwood had 8 clearances each.
Dangerfield 5 and Stanley 6.
Parfitt is a very good player and he's super clean off the deck. Doesn't fumble and straight lines the ball.
This week will be a good challenge for Pittonet. Last week I called for him to be aggressive and physical and I thought he did that as the game went on. Rhys Stanley is an enigma and can light it up again or put in a shocker. Hopeful Pittonet can put him on the back foot from the start.
From memory Pittonet had 5 clearances which was our best after Cripps. We need at least that again. If it's wet, I'd play SPS in the midfield. He's not aggressive but in past wet games, he handles the conditions better than anyone.

The other key for us this week is to use our vision when going forward. Last week we burnt the ball too often going forward. Harry Taylor will have a picnic if we blast it inside 50 high all night. It still haunts me seeing Walsh kick it long to Lever last week when Martin was on his own 15m out from goal late in the game. If it's wet, I'd rather see the ball kicked deep along the ground or to space than up in marking contests. That's why I'd play Levi as the tall bailout, wrecking option and quick blokes around him to win the ground ball.

H/F. Martin. McGovern Cuningham
FF. Betts Levi Owies

Get some speed in there and use the ball to our strengths. (*If it's wet and raining only)

Lastly, we need to take our chances and get an even run from the umpires. We can't miss easy shots and expect to win the game

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:21 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Jack Steven playing for Cats - Will be BOG

Parfitt out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

chubbyruss wrote:
Jack Steven playing for Cats - Will be BOG

Parfitt out

Picked it like a nose.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next