Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Sombrero wrote:
I rarely bag the umps but their lack of consistency regarding the actions of some players, and Dusty is one of them, is pretty glaring.

Once you get a reputation for being hard to tackle you almost never get pinged for HTB.
Once you get a reputation for being strong you almost never get pinged for throwing or shoving opponents out of the way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Wojee wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
I rarely bag the umps but their lack of consistency regarding the actions of some players, and Dusty is one of them, is pretty glaring.

Once you get a reputation for being hard to tackle you almost never get pinged for HTB.
Once you get a reputation for being strong you almost never get pinged for throwing or shoving opponents out of the way.

Unless you are Partick Cripps, who usually gets a few against for both of those.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Unless you are Partick Cripps, who usually gets a few against for both of those.

Wonder if he features in the "Laws of the Game" DVD like Whitnall used to. Remember when he was the only person ever pinged for shepherding the fall of the ball?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

Not a bad result in the end. Would take a 4 goal loss against them any day.
If only we can learn to play 4 quarters and stop giving sides head starts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Wojee wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Wonder if he features in the "Laws of the Game" DVD like Whitnall used to. Remember when he was the only person ever pinged for shepherding the fall of the ball?

The opposite is true for Ed (we call it the Curnow rule in our family)...doesn't matter how you get tackled, sometimes even if you don't have the ball, you'll be pinged....

To be fair, Dusty, having a handful of Plowman's jumper and pushing him forward with both hands was just "a show of strength pushing his opponent under the ball"...I know because the commentators told me so :donk:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

Same old.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Interesting comments on Plowman. I heard Charlie Cameron interviewed last year and he talked about getting stronger because players like Plowman matched him up well and beat him for strength. Plowman also has performed very well against Walters. 2 of the best small forwards in the AFL.
Obviously the coaches see his value but too many here don't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:29 pm 
Robert Walls

Kreuzer: broken foot. Out for 16 weeks. So... who knows? The whole season?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:33 pm 
John Nicholls

bluechampion wrote:

He's done. He should hang up the boots and we should get a look at another player.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

In the end quite disappointed more because it was one of those "we came close, probably ..... could have ..... might have ..... but not quite good enough" games. Plenty of them last year and I really hope the trend doesn't continue. We really need to get into the black.

A few guys out there (and they've been mentioned) like Dow, Setters and even Gibson did very little. Dow really needed to nail those 2 set shots but little confidence in his kicking. Frustrating.

With no VFL and possible quick turnarounds we need change the mix a bit. Perhaps 2 of those 3 get rested next week. Kruz is already out so a possible 3 changes is looming. Anyway let's hope for a better start and better finish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

What's happened to Darcy Lang. Last I heard he'd put in a good pre-season but I haven't heard his name.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:02 pm 
formerly King Kenny

robertbb wrote:
bluechampion wrote:

He's done. He should hang up the boots and we should get a look at another player.

Hard to look at any players in the current climate.

But agree, time to retire and for us to start Pittonet in the ruck and De Koning the forward/ruck.

Kreuzer can get a big send off round 1 next year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

Beautifully done by the reigning premiers; establish a 5 goal lead early and basically cruise for the rest of the match.

Yes, we had our moments and we had forward talent missing (Charlie, Harry, Eddie) but our ball movement isn’t consistently good enough to beat most AFL sides.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

10.7 to 9.7 our way after 1/4 time. With our 3 key forwards out.

Pity the rubbish start.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
Beautifully done by the reigning premiers; establish a 5 goal lead early and basically cruise for the rest of the match.

Yes, we had our moments and we had forward talent missing (Charlie, Harry, Eddie) but our ball movement isn’t consistently good enough to beat most AFL sides.

I disagree. Based on post game interviews and Hardwick's response, they weren't cruising at all and were upset they didn't go on with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
10.7 to 9.7 our way after 1/4 time. With our 3 key forwards out.

Pity the rubbish start.

Regards Cazzesman

This. Outscored them across 3 quarters. Lots of upside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

Scotty12000 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I disagree. Based on post game interviews and Hardwick's response, they weren't cruising at all and were upset they didn't go on with it.

‘Cruise’ may not be exactly the right word, but at no stage were Richmond going to lose that game after 1/4 time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:42 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Most of what I would have said has been said already but I would like to add to a comment someone made about Dusty Martin.
After the soft 50m penalties we were pinged for, there was one where Murphy had a free in the middle and a scuffle ensued. When it was all over and the crowd had dispersed, Murphy was getting up and Dusty went back and had another go at him right in front of the umpire.
Now if entering the prohibited area is a 50m penalty, going into it and giving the recipient of the free a decent couple of shoves into the ground as an added bonus should be worth one.
Dusty is a protected species. The commentators even mentioned at on stage how he covered the ground to get involved in another scuffle later in the game to stand up for his team mates. That's OK, but last week in the praccy match when Doc did it, he had a free reversed.

I was fuming at the end of the first. it was all too easy and our back 6 looked completely lost as the goals came so easily and from close in.
I was fuming at half time at how we had wasted 15 minutes of the quarter to let it slip away in the last three or four.
I felt better at three quarter time when we decided to run the footy instead of bombing it to the defensive sweeper, which seems to have been a tactic of ours for a generation.
I felt nothing at the end because in my mind I can't see this season being anything more than a debacle from the perspctive of the AFL and the danger it poses to the viability of many clubs, one of which may be ours.
Someone posted above, take Reiwoldt, Lynch and Rioli our of Richmond and see how they go. That's us and we went OK apart from about 20 minutes.

I feel for Kreuzer but IMO we are going to b better without him going forward. The Dogs have Tim English, who is a young, mobile jumper and TDK should be more able to run with him and jump against him.
Enough has been said about the good and not so good contributions of the various players. I just hope we get to see an improvement against the Dogs. They are a good outfit when on song.

I also noticed after one of the melees Martin got up and carefully kicked Plowman (who was lying on the ground) all around the head while he pretend to stumble over him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yep. BS, I asked during the match thread whether umpires were afraid of the Crazy Eyes Chopsticks Killah, and that was the incident that spurred me. And yeah, I noticed the Plowman stamp, too. Clear red card for the video ref... Oh, wrong sport.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:05 pm 
Bob Chitty

Blue Vain wrote:
What's happened to Darcy Lang. Last I heard he'd put in a good pre-season but I haven't heard his name.

No contribution in the practice games.
Few touches and they were mostly ineffective or unhelpful.
Thought he might be useful but had provided very.little in any game.
I wrote him off during last practice game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next