Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:50 am 
Harry Vallence

Stranger wrote:
My mail coming out of Carlton is not many of the younger players like Teague and it is pretty easy to see why

perhaps it is because he plays them once, then back to the twos, or plays them out of position

sps - not backman
fish - not a small forward
stocker - not a back pocket
dow - plays well for a quarter, gets dropped after being injured
o'brien - not a footballer, teague got this one right
setterfield - not a winger

if i were one of those blokes, constantly being played out of position, then getting dropped, i'd be upset too

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:21 am 
Craig Bradley

Two inside the 50m arcs, the other 14 in the centre square?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:29 pm 
Bert Deacon

hopefully luke power can persuade Leppa to come and join teague as a assistant,and bring a new GAME PLAN

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I am the biggest pessimist going around but this is how I see the year playing out
Hawks - W
Swans - W
Eagles - L
Giants -L
Crows - W
Freo - W
Cats - L
Pies - W
North- W
Saints -L
Suns - W
Port- L
Giants - W

finish the year 11 -11 and scrape into 8

Teague keeps his job

I think we have had a shit run and should never have lost to Collingwood

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
I am the biggest pessimist going around but this is how I see the year playing out
Swans - W

Let me stop you there - no chance of beating Sydney in Sydney.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Let’s stop you there why do you think we will beat the Hawks we have only won one game at the G this year against Essendon*

Can’t see us winning any interstate so that’s the Freo game gone as well as Sydney as well

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I was going to include the Hawthorn game as us having no chance - but didn’t want to be accused of being a half Glass empty type.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Hawks - W
Swans - W
Eagles - L
Giants -L
Crows - W
Freo - W
Cats - L
Pies - W
North- W
Saints -L
Suns - W
Port- L
Giants - W

Teague keeps his job

Always important to stay positive and my positivity will be that no way we are making the 8 cause we good enough to win that many games in a row

But walsh Brownlow and all Australian
Weiters all Australian
McKay all Australian and Coleman medalist

Now that’s funny but very very sad

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Swans - W

Let me stop you there - no chance of beating Sydney in Sydney.

It's a shoe in we will celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the Royal wedding night when Juddy carried us over the line

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Watched that game in Malaysia.

As my wife and mother in law watched Kate and William.

I got the better deal.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:32 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Flew up for it, 1st interstate game I have been to, had a feeling we'd win.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bender wrote:
Stranger wrote:
My mail coming out of Carlton is not many of the younger players like Teague and it is pretty easy to see why

perhaps it is because he plays them once, then back to the twos, or plays them out of position

sps - not backman will he be sent to freo as part of a Cerra trade? maybe unhappy about that prospect. I would be.
fish - not a small forward Fish called Teague and told him he wanted to small forward position because he didn't complete a preseason hence not ready for mid role
stocker - not a back pocket He's getting minutes on the field and he was given time in the midfield last game. Unhappy? he's only 20yo. Plenty of time for him
dow - plays well for a quarter, gets dropped after being injured He has been on a roller coaster with Bolton and Teague. Maybe he's unhappy with Diesels blunt assessment.
o'brien - not a footballer, teague got this one right He turns 21yo this year. He may or may not make it. He is improving in the reserves. Why would he be unhappy with Teague?
setterfield - not a winger He played alright on a wing last year. He was dropped for continuous bad games since round 1, where he was one of the best on a wing. He should be disappointed with himself after a huge preseason with his flat mate Walsh

if i were one of those blokes, constantly being played out of position, then getting dropped I'd be upset too

If these kids are unhappy with Teague, it would be because they may feel they are better than Murphy, Betts, Fogarty, Cottrell, Owies, Parks, Gibbons, Newnes...getting games ahead of them.

I don't think the 3 oldest, 23yo SPS, Fish and setterfield, from the above list would be upset with coaches. SPS has been given a free ride for years. Like Setterfield he may think HIS position is Ruck rover, Crippas position, but with his form waning and Curnow, Walsh ahead of them. SPS needs to show he's a ruck rover and the best place for that is in the reserves. He and setterfield must be realistic about his position.

I think Setterfield would be happy to be getting a game, wing, HF, HB..anywhere. He has lost form and he doesn't attack the loose ball in the midfield like other inside mids. He waits for others to get the ball, then pounces with a tackle, or he's waiting for the give me ball...I don't think that's what an inside mid does. Like keogh says, he's a bit of a plodder and needs to up the energy and intensity for mine.

So the other kids are under 21yo, so if they haven't got the patience or desire to prove themselves better than the incumbents, they are not going to have great AFL careers whether they are Carlton or not.

All the young ones have time to show they belong in the next 12 rounds (3 months). There will be more pressure on spots with possibly the likes of Cerra be traded in, or the like, let alone the other round 1 picks who willl press their case for senior games, Philp, Kemp and probably Carroll Honey, Ramsay and Durdin.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil? I don't think so. Oppportunity and getting good results from that are the only option for any sooks, if there are any.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
I was going to include the Hawthorn game as us having no chance - but didn’t want to be accused of being a half Glass empty type.

Be loud and proud Agro

and then douse yourself if its half empty. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Hawks - W
Swans - W
Eagles - L 50/50 at the G
Giants -L
Crows - W
Freo - W
Cats - L
Pies - W
North- W
Saints -L The big test for the rebuilds and hopefully Charlie is playing too.
Suns - W
Port- L
Giants - W

Teague keeps his job

I have a similar position on the remainder of the year.

No doubt we need a scalp to prove anything, but beating the teams who aspire for top 8, like us, are 50-50 and huge tests (Giants, Eagles and Saints).

The only scalps left to test us and boost our reputation as a destination club/ finals contender/ successful rebuild would be to beat one of Port or Geelong, but if we can beat Sydney in Sydney (who are top 6) despite excuses made by Robbo,they are a top 8 team.

Can Teague tweak his defensive game? and, will the return of injured players make the difference?

Players coming back from injury in order:

DeKoning
Silvagni
Martin
Fisher
Charlie
McGovern

Possibly

Philp
McDonald
Kemp ... I believe he will take Plowman's or Parks' role as 3rd tall, and intercept mark.

Plus 2 midseason draftees for Marchbank and Cuningham.

Glass half full. Why not? I know the flip side, and Donstuies reasoning, but FFS HTFU, we will continue to improve.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

azzablue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Hawks - W
Swans - W
Eagles - L
Giants -L
Crows - W
Freo - W
Cats - L
Pies - W
North- W
Saints -L
Suns - W
Port- L
Giants - W

Teague keeps his job

Always important to stay positive and my positivity will be that no way we are making the 8 cause we good enough to win that many games in a row

Weiters all Australian

Murphy expected to complete his 300th game against the Cats. Then teams are selected on output.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

azzablue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Hawks - W
Swans - W
Eagles - L
Giants -L
Crows - W
Freo - W
Cats - L
Pies - W
North- W
Saints -L
Suns - W
Port- L
Giants - W

Teague keeps his job

Weiters all Australian

If we have that many elite all Australians something seriously wrong if we can’t beat Hawthorn.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
bender wrote:
Stranger wrote:

sps - not backman will he be sent to freo as part of a Cerra trade? maybe unhappy about that prospect. I would be.
fish - not a small forward Fish called Teague and told him he wanted to small forward position because he didn't complete a preseason hence not ready for mid role
stocker - not a back pocket He's getting minutes on the field and he was given time in the midfield last game. Unhappy? he's only 20yo. Plenty of time for him
dow - plays well for a quarter, gets dropped after being injured He has been on a roller coaster with Bolton and Teague. Maybe he's unhappy with Diesels blunt assessment.
o'brien - not a footballer, teague got this one right He turns 21yo this year. He may or may not make it. He is improving in the reserves. Why would he be unhappy with Teague?
setterfield - not a winger He played alright on a wing last year. He was dropped for continuous bad games since round 1, where he was one of the best on a wing. He should be disappointed with himself after a huge preseason with his flat mate Walsh

if i were one of those blokes, constantly being played out of position, then getting dropped I'd be upset too

If these kids are unhappy with Teague, it would be because they may feel they are better than Murphy, Betts, Fogarty, Cottrell, Owies, Parks, Gibbons, Newnes...getting games ahead of them.

I don't think the 3 oldest, 23yo SPS, Fish and setterfield, from the above list would be upset with coaches. SPS has been given a free ride for years. Like Setterfield he may think HIS position is Ruck rover, Crippas position, but with his form waning and Curnow, Walsh ahead of them. SPS needs to show he's a ruck rover and the best place for that is in the reserves. He and setterfield must be realistic about his position.

I think Setterfield would be happy to be getting a game, wing, HF, HB..anywhere. He has lost form and he doesn't attack the loose ball in the midfield like other inside mids. He waits for others to get the ball, then pounces with a tackle, or he's waiting for the give me ball...I don't think that's what an inside mid does. Like keogh says, he's a bit of a plodder and needs to up the energy and intensity for mine.

So the other kids are under 21yo, so if they haven't got the patience or desire to prove themselves better than the incumbents, they are not going to have great AFL careers whether they are Carlton or not.

All the young ones have time to show they belong in the next 12 rounds (3 months). There will be more pressure on spots with possibly the likes of Cerra be traded in, or the like, let alone the other round 1 picks who willl press their case for senior games, Philp, Kemp and probably Carroll Honey, Ramsay and Durdin.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil? I don't think so. Oppportunity and getting good results from that are the only option for any sooks, if there are any.

I’m not saying our development is gold standard or anything, but we have had players become very good/elite on our watch (Cripps, Weitering, Walsh, McKay, Doch, Jones and Charlie was heading there), I don’t buy the excuses for Setters, SPS, Dow, Kennedy, LOB etc. I actually think we just stuffed the picks on these ones, if anything they’ve all been given too many games for the output they have provided.

All of Setters, SPS, Dow, Kennedy and LOB have been given chances in their preferred positions, they have just failed to take them.

Now not all 5 are equal, but I’d hazard a guess Kennedy and LOB won’t be on AFL lists anywhere come 2022.

Setters, SPS and Dow will get 2022 at least, largely because contracted, but they ought to be worried if Philp, Ramsey, Kemp or Carroll get a chance at senior level and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Adam Chatfield wrote:

I’m not saying our development is gold standard or anything, but we have had players become very good/elite on our watch (Cripps, Weitering, Walsh, McKay, Doch, Jones and Charlie was heading there), I don’t buy the excuses for Setters, SPS, Dow, Kennedy, LOB etc. I actually think we just stuffed the picks on these ones, if anything they’ve all been given too many games for the output they have provided.

All of Setters, SPS, Dow, Kennedy and LOB have been given chances in their preferred positions, they have just failed to take them.

Now not all 5 are equal, but I’d hazard a guess Kennedy and LOB won’t be on AFL lists anywhere come 2022.

Setters, SPS and Dow will get 2022 at least, largely because contracted, but they ought to be worried if Philp, Ramsey, Kemp or Carroll get a chance at senior level and take it.

Yeah, it saddens me to think those 5 first rounders may not make the grade, but I feel the same. I'm still convinced Dow can be top shelf.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Adam Chatfield wrote:

All the highlighted players except Jones are playing in the positions they were drafted/traded for. And Jones was an obvious one, a forward that can't kick goals is a defender.
The other kids might never be as good as the above however you will never have a team of stars, it costs too much.
They just need to be able to play a clearly defined role in a system that supports it, something we lack or have not 100% developed yet.
And IMO when you are drafted for certain abilities one would assume you would be put in a position to maximise them, especially while developing and working on the areas you're weak in. LOB and Kennedy to an extent are probably the only ones under Teague that have had these opportunities to maximise their strengths they were drafted/traded for.
But to put it simply, Teague's game plan does not suit developing players unless we have more mature players protecting them (especially midfielders). It's too attacking focused and high risk for easy rebounding by other teams that are fitter, bigger and more matured to run better defensive patterns. This is why our kids have not progressed and neither has the team. The only fix is to bring in more mature mids in the drafts, or change the game plan to support the kids a bit more until they are more confident and bigger. The season is nearly cooked anyway so there is no reason to not try and rotate more players through the middle.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

The above posts all pretty much say the same thing.

A little history. We for years have had a lack of depth in the midfield, so we recruit an abundance of young mids.

Result? Cannot let them all play and develop to AFL standard in the midfield, so they are played elsewhere hence the current mess.

Solution? I am not a professional but maybe trade out two (or three) for one better eg Dow and SPS for Cerra. Or similar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 266  Next