Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

deano35 wrote:
Bondi, Teague lost me during the week of the Freo game after our loss to the Filth when on the back of that loss Plowman , Murphy and Newnes should have been dropped given the lack of effort shown in that game and a statement early in the season should have been set, but instead it was our kids that copped it as usual.
The lies and lack of selection integrity from David lost me.
He has done nothing since then to even sway me back.

Plowman has a very good record against Walters. They made the correct decision not to drop him for the Freo game.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:04 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
I have listened to Teague's interview for this week's game.

Teague's either giving nothing away (not sure if that's the right thing to do?)

or

Teague's blatantly lying. (I don't think that's the right thing to do.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think he lost me a bit today for numerous reasons.

I have to say after a few minutes of listening, I was :mad: . Furious.
I felt like I was being bullshitted to.
I felt like Teague was blatantly lying to the interviewers, to the public and to the fans. It was his stuttering and body language that gave me that impression.
I felt like Teague had lost touch and control of the team.

When he said "I am a bit confused why [the interviewers] asking me all [these questions about Cripps' fitness] when it happened so long ago?". Then he's lost touch or someone should have repeated the same questions as they had, or the Communications Manager who he should be liaising with as the spokesman of the Team, needs to be replaced.

Teague stated that Cripps had a sore back in round 1-2 "not sure about the details", and that's all he knows, and "it is not an issue now".

Does he think Cripps looks like he's playing with his normal flair and aggression? No one else does. It is very obvious to everyone Cripps is playing injured, and if not he's carrying a "niggle" that doesn't let him play his game, or, he's checked out, coz he's not interested in getting the hard ball. So which is it?

So the Head Coach of his Team, who he knows every individual on an intimate level, (because he has to know everything about their welfare and if anything will handicap their performance in the next game), doesn't know if a player has been playing injured, or with a fracture or with injections. I can't buy that. It is The Head Coach's job to know, and if he doesn't make it his business, then he should not be in that very important seat we have gifted to him. He's in the people business. Moving Hearts and Minds can't be done if you don't know the ins and outs of a player is ie what's going on with their body and their mind.

Fancy not knowing if Cripps has been injected before a game to play, or that he has a back fractured (FFS), or an injury. The media do, and report it. Nothing to do with sneaky leakers. Players talk. Trainers talk. Bystanders hear. Bystanders talk.

Show some respect Teaguey. Then he goes on to say "it's not an issue now", oh yeah, so there is/ wass an issue, so what exactly is that " issue" Teaguey? Not round 1 and 2, but the recent change in his demeanour and attack on the ball!

Teague declared in the media that an unfit player (physically or mentally) will decide whether he plays or not. As long as they put their hand up, they play. FMD. That's Russian Roulette if I ever heard it, and talk about being disinterested in the player's welfare. He ended his interview saying he thought player welfare is his number one concern with all the soft cap cuts. Is there an air of ambiguity, or should I say, blatant hypocrisy?

Teague's happy with the way Crippa is dealing with [injury]. It is not Crippas job to be dealing with injury. Leave that to the professionals. Its Russell's job, Its the doctor's job. It's the coach's job. Not Crippa's.

Then Teague concludes with "Crippas in great shape". Sorry, but I have to say, I'm not an idiot, but Teague is an idiot for saying this.

Crippa can't bend over to pick up a ball.
He doesn't tackle.
He is not winning the contested ball.
He looks disinterested in contact.

The we are suppose to believe Teague when he says "[Williams] is not playing hurt...then tells us earlier that every player has niggles, but he "believes in [Williams'] talent"...and aware "he hasn't played like we like", and "adjusting to a position". FFS that's what preseason is all about: gelling the team. WTF have you ben doing for the last 8 months Teague?????

As for the game plan. Lets remember he had all summer with a fulll squad to practise the game plan, over and over again on a beautiful brand new ground in beautiful weather on a daily basis. On game days he has a runner to send out the message to stop some of the set ups, loss of concentration, and changes in tactics, and take off players who are repeat offenders or can't concentrate. He blames it all on the players out on the field, but he's the decision maker, on them and the game plan. He said:

"we need to defend with more intent. We weren't good enough"

"we slowed it down and started chipping it sideways"

"when they are coming at us, we needed to slow it down"

"need to exercise more concentration"

Well, Mr smartarse, that's all good after the fact, but why don't you send your runner down to the players on the field straight after the first goal gets through, and the signs are there, and tell them they are falling into the same old trap of the last 2 seasons. Give them instruction! Why? It happens for 5 goals in a row, and last week 8, and it has to be stopped there and then.

No wonder they media have labelled this weekly occurence as "Teague's Gift", and now I agree with that label.

He's giving it to the opposition on a platter, not educating his team enough during preseason, let alone the week, and he's selecting players who are injured and letting them decide if they want to put their hand up to play or not, and, worst of all, on game day, he's not sending the message to players on the field as a matter of urgency via his runner, and instructing them rather than letting the players just hang themselves in public.

No wonder I was feeling :mad: listening to his ahhhhhhhhhhh repeat that..............aaaahhhhhhh..blame blame blame lie lie ignore ignore...AAAAAHHHHHHHHH. FMD, I thought Bob Hawke was dead.

Sorry but I had to let it all out. I'm sick of the list getting blamed, the development, the players......take ownership you lump.

My conundrum, I want to support Teague, but should I continue to give Teague the benefit of the doubt after all that?

The presser was excruciatingly cringeworthy
David (out of his) League-Teague

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Bondi, Teague lost me during the week of the Freo game after our loss to the Filth when on the back of that loss Plowman , Murphy and Newnes should have been dropped given the lack of effort shown in that game and a statement early in the season should have been set, but instead it was our kids that copped it as usual.

Plowman has a very good record against Walters. They made the correct decision not to drop him for the Freo game.

Maybe. Deano's point is about making a statement early in the season. Good point. It didn't have to be Plowman, it could have been Murphy and Newnes.

Are you suggesting the MC vetoed Teague when you refer to "they"?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:07 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
deano35 wrote:

Maybe. Deano's point is about making a statement early in the season. Good point. It didn't have to be Plowman, it could have been Murphy and Newnes.

said he doesn't like making statements...oh, unless they're "low hanging fruit" statements

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
deano35 wrote:

said he doesn't like making statements...oh, unless they're "low hanging fruit" statements

he says the wrong things.

hes really annoyed me today and even moreso with the reminders of his misgivings.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:23 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
deano35 wrote:

he says the wrong things.

hes really annoyed me today and even moreso with the reminders of his misgivings.

He has annoyed me since the middle of last year bondi. I was soooo hoping things would change this year. And...I'm still holding out hope...but I refuse to buy into the 'injuries' argument

We lost to Coll and WB because of coaching/mindset, not injuries

Now if those two games were the only examples we had of this phenomenon, we could cut him slack as a young coach

This phenomenon has happened 2 out of every 3 games he has coached....what sort of flowering things has he been doing to fix it???

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:54 am 
Ken Hunter

In regards to the Cripps injury talk, IMO - he has been instructed or is now trying to protect the club from player injury discussions and protocol.
I feel if the media, etc. keep raising the back fracture and other injuriess, etc. the talk will turn to the club and player neglect!!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
In regards to the Cripps injury talk, IMO - he has been instructed or is now trying to protect the club from player injury discussions and protocol.
I feel if the media, etc. keep raising the back fracture and other injuriess, etc. the talk will turn to the club and player neglect!!

I think you're right.

Problem is the media, like me, feels like we've been treated as idiots, betrayed and lied to because Teague hasn't done a good job at what you suggest. That's why I posted what I did. it didn't look smart, convincing and most important honest. No one wants to be lied to, and we prefer to protect our stars when injured rather than playing them to help us win games when they can't.

And the media will come for him if Cripps doesn't show some form against melbourne. Its already started

https://www.afl.com.au/news/612497/if-the-cats-did-ask-a-genuine-question-about-sandi-then

Quote:
IF ...
your plan is to shoot down a media story, specifically that Cripps had suffered a fracture in his back and had required injections to play ...

THEN ...
there are many better ways to do it than the dismissive and indignant manner David Teague embraced on Thursday.

Asking for trouble, and you will get it.

Its OK to let the world know we have a huge injury problem to our best 22 players, and despite Saad Williams Doc and Cripps carrying niggles/ injury to the game, they put their hand up to play. Just say it. Honesty has many friends. Dishonesty doesn't have friends.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

And I'm not looking to replace Teague.

Like 99 Prelim suggests, I too think our losses against Lions, Pies and Dogs can be attributed to coaching decisions or indecisions. Nothing a good decision and a runner couldnt fix before the avalanche of goals.

BUT, there is no Messiah. Maybe Clarkson could have got us over the line in those games. Maybe Teague has learned from thos games.

I've been consistent to the strong belief I have that injuries determine how well a coach's game plan, and if injury isn't an issue, its the players you have that will determine the success of your coaching career, and Clarkson had Hodge Mitchell and Lewis directing traffic from the middle, not Clarkson.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/612379/hawks-in-a-hole-three-peat-to-free-fall-in-six-short-years

Quote:
However, with a series of top-up recruits that haven't panned out, a lack of high-end draft talent, and a spate of injuries to key players, Alastair Clarkson's team currently sits in 17th place and appear unlikely to be moving in a hurry.

Familiar?

But Clarkson didn't expect to fall from grace:

Quote:
"By and large we just need to hang in there with this group of lads that are getting some exposure to play, and we've just got to keep their spirits up as high as we can," Clarkson said.
"And our coaches as well.
"We're working hard, but we're just not seeing the results on field as much as we'd like."

What sort of guru coach can't see the signs when Lewis identified them early last year only to cop an ear full from Kennett, who now sees Lewis' comments as his reality. The Board is the same, the coach is the same, the List was recruited by the same...but the results....

Quote:
In their star-studded team that won flags in 2013, 2014 and 2015, they played a high-kicking, high-possession game that wore opponents down methodically.
They controlled the ball, controlled territory and controlled the game ... It was largely a veteran team with excellent ball users like Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Jordan Lewis and Grant Birchall – that were all moved on – and a dynamic, diverse forward line.

They were also the team leaders and on field coaches.

How can a team perform at its best when the a third of your best 22 players are injured or playing injured?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
He's giving it to the opposition on a platter, not educating his team enough during preseason, let alone the week, and he's selecting players who are injured and letting them decide if they want to put their hand up to play or not, and, worst of all, on game day, he's not sending the message to players on the field as a matter of urgency via his runner, and instructing them rather than letting the players just hang themselves in public.

No wonder I was feeling :mad: listening to his ahhhhhhhhhhh repeat that..............aaaahhhhhhh..blame blame blame lie lie ignore ignore...AAAAAHHHHHHHHH. FMD, I thought Bob Hawke was dead.

Sorry but I had to let it all out. I'm sick of the list getting blamed, the development, the players......take ownership you lump.

My conundrum, I want to support Teague, but should I continue to give Teague the benefit of the doubt after all that?

Incredible, we are 27 points in front, a quality opposition is coming at you and we play loose!
Do we have a lockdown game plan? we were in a winning position, go dour, man up, hit your targets.
Who's responsible, the coach? I'm not sure anyone at Carlton cares enough, everyone gets paid anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:54 am 
Wayne Johnston

famousblueraincoat wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Incredible, we are 27 points in front, a quality opposition is coming at you and we play loose!
Do we have a lockdown game plan? we were in a winning position, go dour, man up, hit your targets.
Who's responsible, the coach? I'm not sure anyone at Carlton cares enough, everyone gets paid anyway.

I think the problem isn’t that we are currently only drilled to play fast attacking footy really well, the lockdown game plan is there, it just hasn’t been a perfected as the attacking game plan and we are picked apart once we stop attacking.

Hopefully this is something we can evolve over the next 12 months and Teague will get better as a coach. If nothing improves by the end of 2022 then Teague is in trouble.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I accept Teague is only in his 2nd year of coaching and may well be still on "Training Wheels", and he's learning, like we are, about the team, his game plan and opposition tactics, albeit costing us games, but we will never know if our List is good enough to compete with the best, or the coach's game plan is sound if a third of our team is injured:

Here's my take on it.

My Best 22 , 2021

B: Marchbank Weitering Docherty
HB: Saad Jones Newman

R: DeKoning Cripps Walsh
C: Martin Williams Setterfield

HF: Fisher McKay Cuningham
F: Betts C.Curnow Silvagni

IC Casboult Plowman E.Curnow SPS

EM McGovern Dow Philp Newnes Murphy Honey

Red = Injured All 2021
Orange = Mostly Injured
Yellow= Playing injured...Murphy can't tackle, but good for young guys if we play Finals

Losing games against the Top teams (with their injured missing on the day):

Premiers Richmond (1 injured) by 24 pts
Finalist '20 Collingd (2 injured) by 21 pts
Ladder Leader Port (2 injured) by 28 pts
Prelim '20 Brisbane (2 injured) by 18 pts
Top 2 '21 Bulldogs (4 injured) by 16 pts

It is not too bad a result considering good coaching on the day, and selection decisions could have helped us win vs all but Port.

Not a List Management issue till injuries exposed our vulnerability. We can fix that come end of the year, when we free more space with retirements of oldies Betts Murphy and Levi.

And to those who believe this week's media report (Footy Classified) we are capped out our salary spend by 105%, that's true, for last year, because we spent what we were allowed to spend, and if we didn't spend it we would have lost the extra 5% for nothing. Instead we used that to Front Load AGAIN. .

There's still a war chest with all the front loaded payments made to Cripps, Martin Gov and Saad that we know of...aka Goof List management...to a degree.

Word is we were a bees dick getting Oliver last year if we had 2 firsts to offer, but Austin gave in to Dodoro to be a nice guy :roll: and gave him pick 8 for Saad when he didnt have to.

WE will top up and go again after we possibly play Finals in 2021.

Last edited by bondiblue on Fri May 14, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:

He has the final say

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I think the problem isn’t that we are currently only drilled to play fast attacking footy really well, the lockdown game plan is there, it just hasn’t been a perfected as the attacking game plan and we are picked apart once we stop attacking.

Hopefully this is something we can evolve over the next 12 months and Teague will get better as a coach. If nothing improves by the end of 2022 then Teague is in trouble.

If Teague doesn't improve in the next 14 games, and continues to make the same mistakes like one obvious one, namely "Teague's Gift", good chance he wont be around in 2022.

I think he will be fine with the return of DeKoning, Martin, Fisher, Newman, Silvagni over the few weeks and Charlie in the next month, and Gov in a couple months.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:46 am 
Harry Vallence

Yup availability of more talented personal will make a difference to team performances & perception , given there’ll be a few more wins.
However, Teaugy’s delima is to deliver a game plan to enable us to seriously knock on the door of final 8 , that’s the issue, most urgent.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:17 am 
Banned

Hawthorn played their best teams during their glory years with sfa injuries
Richmonds injury list has been on existent for five years... take a few of them out and they get thumped by 10 goals.

Bulldogs, Melbourne, Geelong and Brisbane have the healthiest lists and no surprise to see where they are on the ladder they have their best players on the park every week.

AFL has become the healthiest list plays finals. Becoming bit of a joke

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:
Hawthorn played their best teams during their glory years with sfa injuries
Richmonds injury list has been on existent for five years... take a few of them out and they get thumped by 10 goals.

Bulldogs, Melbourne, Geelong and Brisbane have the healthiest lists and no surprise to see where they are on the ladder they have their best players on the park every week.

AFL has become the healthiest list plays finals. Becoming bit of a joke

I actually think it's a bit more than that.
Both Richmond and Hawthorn and now the other teams above have really good systems in place and defined positions and roles for each player creating good depth within the team.
Because we are not like them and we really only have the one trick (attacking) we get easily exposed when 1 or 2 of our "key" players are down.
The other issue we have is poor game day tactics and is the main reason for the 30+ point turnarounds.
And as I have been banging on about for the last couple of years we need more midfielders. And with the kids we have, the club needs to play them in a specific role to develop them, which can't be done when playing injured or favourites that are too old or the kids in the 2's or out of position while developing i.e SPS, Dow & Setters. All of the above clubs you have mentioned have great midfield depth.
Unfortunately for us Teague and the recruitment have been too focused on running backs, small forwards and key forwards to fix a problem that is clearly in the midfield and it hasn't worked. And is why we have been getting cleaned up in the middle.
ie. our clearances v Dogs - 27 to 43 (7 to 23 centre) and v Scum 13 to 23 centre.
Another example of our lack of midfield depth around the ground v the mentioned teams on the weekend was only 2 of our mids kicked goals v 7 of theirs (inc the listed fwds that had majority heat map on the wing) for a combined total of 9 goals. Not to mention the other mids that missed their shots at goals.
A good midfield with players resting forward and back as well as on the bench like Richmond and Hawthorn have not only gives us good options during the game it also make us harder to match up against and a better attacking and defending side IMO.
And we should've made a play for Treloar, I can't remember who had a go at me for saying it but they said he wasn't an inside mid. He's been killing it in there this year, 9 tackles against us is 4 better than our best, Cripps 5. Plus 23 disposals, 4 clearances and a goal in an average game for him.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-draft-and-contract-news-stay-up-to-date-with-the-latest-buzz-in-player-movement/news-story/a7e5bf7ee40702d6a953a902b2c30960

Quote:
Leading sports medico Dr Peter Larkins has warned Carlton to tread warily in its treatment of co-captain Patrick Cripps as he called on all clubs to cut out painkilling injections designed to allow players to play through serious injuries.

Quote:
Leading sports medico Dr Peter Larkins has warned Carlton to tread warily in its treatment of co-captain Patrick Cripps as he called on all clubs to cut out painkilling injections designed to allow players to play through serious injuries.

Quote:
“I am quite bemused by the coach saying he didn’t know the medical condition that was being treated by the doctors,” Larkins said.
“There is either a disconnect in communications at that club or they are not being honest about it, because he (Cripps) really does look like he is struggling.
“Whether he is having injections or not having injections, for the coach to say he doesn’t know, to me that’s quite strange.
“Is it the right treatment? Only the medical people will have to clarify that.”

Like I said, Teague was only going to attract attention the way he carried himself in that interview.

Don't treat people like idiots, or they will turn on you, and they are.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Personally I do not have an issue with the way Teague presents himself. If we were winning no-one would have anything to say and I think that is the bottom line. I have no reason to think Teague is not telling the truth with his statements and I have no issue with the game plan. So I disagree totally with those who criticize it or say we don't have one. The issue to me is synergy between the players. Now more than ever the players are adjusting constantly within the game to what the opposition are doing, who is on the field at any time and where they are playing (their role). Teague is in his third season as coach remembering his first he took over after the start of the season. Last year was a right off in terms of drills as the team couldn't train together for most of it. Also without our own reserves (none last year) development of players has been stunted or at best slow. Now we have our own seconds this should start to pay dividends. And finally we have had a bad run with injuries to players in our best 22 and are having to constantly change the team. None of this helps to improve team synergy. I would also add that given none of the media experts(?) tipped us to finish in the final 8 why is there such hysteria. Apart from the Collingwood game we are wining what they expected.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

I still can’t believe that no one is stepping in to help take the heat off the man.

Not the President.
Neither of the two board members with football portfolios.
Not the CEO.
Not the Head of Football.
Not the Director of High Performance.
Not the Head of Coaching Performance.
Not a single one of the assistant coaches.

A dozen voices, all silent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 266  Next