Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
Same. But my problem is I don't like the idea of changing coaches again either. Basically at this club when the players are over the coach they know they just have to play shit & they'll get a new one.

Yes but sticking with a coach despite him not being the answer just for the optics is way more damaging IMO.

Look at European soccer (not really close to American sports), they do this all the time now (6 weeks to improve or you're out) we're probably heading down a similar path.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:05 pm 
Banned

European soccer is a little different through as expectations are aligned with budgets.

If your wage budget is sixth in the league then minimum expected performance is 4-8.. if the manager is 15th by 3 qtr way of the season then he is sacked. Different game.

Only hard work and talent will get us out of this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

There's also relegation.

Which thankfully we don't have or we'd be sitting mid table in the picola district football and netball league now. Just behind Katandra.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

Walsh wrote:
European soccer is a little different through as expectations are aligned with budgets.

If your wage budget is sixth in the league then minimum expected performance is 4-8.. if the manager is 15th by 3 qtr way of the season then he is sacked. Different game.

What about having 20 first round draft picks + free agents + one of the leading facilities.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:40 pm 
Banned

30,000 Blues fans travelling to Picola - hope they can accomodate us all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 pm 
Banned

Nick wrote:
Walsh wrote:

What about having 20 first round draft picks + free agents + one of the leading facilities.

No doubt - but I think the dynamic of the list is more important. Probably need to fine tune the list over next couple of years and add quality where required. Williams not performing in the middle is hurting imo thats made the list a little unbalanced where salary cap is now tilted towards Half Backs where it should be in the midfield.

For every Luke Hodge there is a Richard Tambling. So a nice clean up wouldnt go astray.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

My preferences

1. Clarkson despite some doubts (Malthouse II, Battle of Brittain etc), the way he even has Hawthorn now going despite absolute no quality in that list is reinforcing that, plus will be able to attract the best assistants.

...will asume he is a no-go though so then:

2. Pyke

3. Buckley (could easily switch with Pyke)

4. Best untried assistant Yze, Kingsley, Giansiracusa (was a late bolter for the North job last year before being pipped by Noble), Burns. Mitchell seems to have massive hypetrain behidn him but is probably unqualified for us at this stage given the scope of the job.

5. Best of the rest of the failed coaches looking for their next gig i.e. Lyon / Voss

6. Mick Malthouse

7. Norm Smith

8. Mark Williams

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:00 pm 
Banned

Whatever the names are without minimum three A grade type mids firing at the same time we are not going anywhere in a hurry.

Need to be absolute 100% certain it's going to be an upgrade and not go through this again in 2-3 years. Prefer to work with what we have as the names bandied about just doesnt tickle my fancy and showing commitment and loyalty is far more important to an embattled young coach thats done an above average apprenticeship than bringing in someone else and run the risk to set us back another five years.

I dont believe past 18 months have been wasted and strongly believe the foundations for bookends are settled. Are people sure a new coach will win us a flag in 2022? You are kidding yourselves - absolute no guarantee new coach is going to be any good at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Have a look at Essendon* last year to this year to see what a difference a competent coach and coaching team (Caracella + Giansiracusa) can make in year 1 vs an incompetent coach (who we then hired as a mentor to our own incompetent one).

Langford, Laverde, Parish, Francis, Stringer all derided for years as unfulfilled waste of talents and all having career best years. That could be SPS, Dow, LOB, Setterfield, Kennedy for us and that would be a complete game changer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:20 am 
Ken Hunter

Nick wrote:
Have a look at Essendon** last year to this year to see what a difference a competent coach and coaching team (Caracella + Giansiracusa) can make in year 1 vs an incompetent coach (who we then hired as a mentor to our own incompetent one).

Langford, Laverde, Parish, Francis, Stringer all derided for years as unfulfilled waste of talents and all having career best years. That could be SPS, Dow, LOB, Setterfield, Kennedy for us and that would be a complete game changer.

Our coach doesn’t like and even refuse to play 3 out of those 5. They won’t be around next year if Teague is in charge and I fear the other 2 might follow just as quick. Shambles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Walsh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Read the post.
Our midfield performed better last year. Similar players.
We've gone backwards.

Maybe we should play Newnes and Walsh on the wings again and leave Cripps by himself in the middle with Murphy and Setterfield.

Need to improve the composition of the team and that means Walsh taken out of the wing to play in the guts. Newnes not playing leaves a big hole on running power and tackling pressure on the wings.

Yeah. Jack "the tackling machine" Newnes who had 2 or less tackles in more than half his games last year. :lol:
The same Jack Newnes who averages less tackles over his career than Marc Murphy.

Marc Murphy's tackle count over his career was actually impressive. He was a very rounded player for many years... sure looked like he squibbed but his tackling wasn't one of his weakenesses so what is your point?

We don't have running power on the wings as we did last year thats a fact.

A fact? Provide something to substantiate these "facts".
I think your "facts" aren't facts at all.

Last edited by Blue Vain on Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:27 am 
Banned

Blue Vain wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Read the post.
Our midfield performed better last year. Similar players.
We've gone backwards.

Maybe we should play Newnes and Walsh on the wings again and leave Cripps by himself in the middle with Murphy and Setterfield.

Need to improve the composition of the team and that means Walsh taken out of the wing to play in the guts. Newnes not playing leaves a big hole on running power and tackling pressure on the wings.

Yeah. Jack "the tackling machine" Newnes who had 2 or less tackles in more than half his games last year. :lol:
The same Jack Newnes who averages less tackles over his career than Marc Murphy.

Marc Murphy's tackle count over his career was actually impressive. He was a very rounded player for many years... sure looked like he squibbed but his tackling wasn't one of his weakenesses so what is your point?

We don't have running power on the wings as we did last year thats a fact.

A fact? Provide something to substantiate these "facts".
I think your "facts" are unsubstantiated bullshit.

So who do you think has played on the wings since Walsh and Newnes havent been playing there. The only unsubstantiated bullshit is your accumen on the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Just as I thought. Your facts are bullshit.
If that's your uninformed opinion, just say so. Don't pass it off as "fact"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:31 am 
Banned

Blue Vain wrote:

Ok I'll tell you who has been playing on the wings.

Setterfield, Fisher, Cottrell and more recently Docherty - which neither has the quality to play in that position apart from Docherty.

You could have stated Docherty has been rotating through there but your acumen is so poor you couldnt even figure out who is playing on our wings. I dont blame you though, as our wings have been nothing short of dreadful this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:15 am 
Robert Walls

Would be great if the club did a Q&A with members similar to what st Kilda did. I know it would never happen as we aren’t accountable like that. But nice to dream

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Walsh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Setterfield, Fisher, Cottrell and more recently Docherty - which neither has the quality to play in that position apart from Docherty.

You could have stated Docherty has been rotating through there but your acumen is so poor you couldnt even figure out who is playing on our wings. I dont blame you though, as our wings have been nothing short of dreadful this year.

Yeah. Thanks for educating me with your "acumen" :lol:
FWIW, Ed Curnow and Cottrell have played mostly wing when Newnes hasn't up until Docherty got a berth in the past month.
Both are recognised as 2 of the best 3 runners at the club.
They're actual 'facts". Not uninformed opinion. They're facts because they can be verified.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:36 am 
Rod Ashman

Nick wrote:
My preferences

1. Clarkson despite some doubts (Malthouse II, Battle of Brittain etc), the way he even has Hawthorn now going despite absolute no quality in that list is reinforcing that, plus will be able to attract the best assistants.

...will asume he is a no-go though so then:

2. Pyke

3. Buckley (could easily switch with Pyke)

4. Best untried assistant Yze, Kingsley, Giansiracusa (was a late bolter for the North job last year before being pipped by Noble), Burns. Mitchell seems to have massive hypetrain behidn him but is probably unqualified for us at this stage given the scope of the job.

5. Best of the rest of the failed coaches looking for their next gig i.e. Lyon / Voss

6. Mick Malthouse

7. Norm Smith

8. Mark Williams

Pyke should not / will not get a senior gig again after the collective minds debacle....He doesn't appear emotionally intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:40 am 
Banned

Blue Vain wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Yeah. Thanks for educating me with your "acumen" :lol:
FWIW, Ed Curnow and Cottrell have played mostly wing when Newnes hasn't up until Docherty got a berth in the past month.
Both are recognised as 2 of the best 3 runners at the club.
They're actual 'facts". Not uninformed opinion. They're facts because they can be verified.

haha. You're welcome try again soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 pm 
Garry Crane

absolutely delusional and why wasnt Docherty as the other captain there? speaks to me not everyone is on board

https://www.afl.com.au/news/634706/-it- ... GeCuVHbfaY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:40 pm 
Banned

sandramcd67 wrote:
absolutely delusional and why wasnt Docherty as the other captain there? speaks to me not everyone is on board

https://www.afl.com.au/news/634706/-it- ... GeCuVHbfaY

Maybe he wants to leave. I have a feeling he will be traded out - thats just speculation from my part but wouldnt surprise me if he asks for a trade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 266  Next