Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:25 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Teague keeps saying I believe in this list because he knows the list is mid table in quality.

He keeps referencing good teams because he knows unless there are quality additions we will never be a good team.

:lol:

Yeah, makes sense to me.

I know BV - Walsh, that makes no sense. Seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:15 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Walsh wrote:
Teague keeps saying I believe in this list because he knows the list is mid table in quality.

He keeps referencing good teams because he knows unless there are quality additions we will never be a good team.

Re-read that and tell us you’re being serious.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:32 am 
Serge Silvagni

I've always said.....when Chris Scott got the coaching job at Geelong in 2011....

You could've thrown anyone in that position......and they were always going to win a premiership...

Thats how good that playing group was !!!

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:21 am 
Harry Vallence

Outback Blue wrote:
I've always said.....when Chris Scott got the coaching job at Geelong in 2011....

You could've thrown anyone in that position......and they were always going to win a premiership...

Thats how good that playing group was !!!

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Anyone?

Teague would have had Pods locked down on a wing, Hawkins in a back pocket, Stevie J as FF, Scarlett as a HFF and the lot of them full of warm milk listening to lullabies prior to first bounce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:20 am 
Harry Vallence

Adam Chatfield wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
missnaut wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
It was the Paul Keeting style ‘loss we had to have’ today.
Only way Teague’s obvious flaws could be exposed for all to see was through another bad, unexpected loss against a.lowly opponent.
No turning back now. Even his most ardent supporters have to acknowledge it’s the end of the road for him.
A string of late season wins and an undeserved Finals spot would’ve only papered over the massive cracks and tricked some people into ignoring the obvious.
Doesn’t matter what we think or say now anyway.
Its well and truly over for him.

We have those every second week.

Not when the coaches future is on the line though.
Teagues incompetence today gave the powers that be the answer loud and clear.
Old Carlton would’ve pulled the leaver weeks ago.

I think “old” Carlton isn’t what we want or needed here.

Can’t just sack a coach and buy the best players.

Give me the “old” Carlton anyday

You are being way too simplistic if you think that was the major reason why we used to be so successful

Speak to the players from the 79-82 era and find out why they were so good

The Carlton of the 21st century is a meek imitation of what we used to be

Hopefully, Sayers can transform our culture to what it used to be

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:11 am 
Ken Hunter

WOW wrote:

You are being way too simplistic if you think that was the major reason why we used to be so successful

:clap:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:33 am 
Craig Bradley

azzablue wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
Only way Teague’s obvious flaws could be exposed for all to see was through another bad, unexpected loss against a.lowly opponent.
No turning back now. Even his most ardent supporters have to acknowledge it’s the end of the road for him.
A string of late season wins and an undeserved Finals spot would’ve only papered over the massive cracks and tricked some people into ignoring the obvious.

Apprently his presser was hilarious

He admitted the playing group is mentally weak and they psyched themselves out of the possibility of playing finals ,,,

How inept is this guy ..

That was an odd comment to air publicly... can't believe he said that without taking some personal blame for it

Our players are mentally weak snowflakes... good luck to the next coach

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:42 am 
Geoff Southby

WOW wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
missnaut wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:

Exactly.
Players walked in the door back then and knew they had to be at the top of their game all the time to survive. Any players with ‘big head’ attitudes would’ve been ripped to shreds.
These days, they walk in the door, get their pay, live ve their ‘Hollywood’ lifestyle and and know that if they don’t give their all, nothing will happen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:56 am 
Banned

WOW wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:
missnaut wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:

I know one of them. He is a Teague fan and doesn't rate the list - peoples expectations are too high without a midfield.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:27 am 
Bruce Doull

So our players shit themselves because they were still a mathematical chance at finals.

Are you @#$%&! kidding me David? Why is it even on their minds? Just win the @#$%&! game in front of you!

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:36 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Donstuie wrote:
So our players shit themselves because they were still a mathematical chance at finals.

Are you @#$%&! kidding me David? Why is it even on their minds? Just win the @#$%&! game in front of you!

Because when Teague was asked about finals during the week his response suggested he and the players had started to consider it. That was my take from memory. Would like to hear it again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:50 am 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Because when Teague was asked about finals during the week his response suggested he and the players had started to consider it. That was my take from memory. Would like to hear it again.

That sums up Carlton

“They started thinking about finals”. Seven years into a rebuild and we still have a loser’s mentality. How about we start drilling into our players that finals are a non negotiable. Then we may see a change in standards and mindset. Particularly when a player first walks into our doors.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:56 am 
Harry Vallence

We've tried experienced coaches, we've tried inexperienced coaches. Rebuilds, tanking for high draft picks, recruiting high priced senior players. Nothing has worked.

So now we sack the coach (again). Round and round we go. Something is rotten at our club and it starts with culture.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

The injury reports say enough over the last few weeks.

Flip-flopped on Mirkov from ‘season’ to ‘we’re getting him in shape to play’.

Same for Docherty who went from ‘season’ to ‘not during the home & away rounds’.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:19 pm 
Rod Ashman

cortez wrote:
We've tried experienced coaches, we've tried inexperienced coaches. Rebuilds, tanking for high draft picks, recruiting high priced senior players. Nothing has worked.

So now we sack the coach (again). Round and round we go. Something is rotten at our club and it starts with culture.

Unfortunately Cortez there hasn't been 1 strong coach among them to set any type of standard rquired. Especially for the senior group.
I have noticed that our new draftees usually come out all hyped and going the way they should but after a bit of time in the system they seem to fall into the lazy (if they don't give a shit why should i) routine.
Accountability seems to be the common denominator of late.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

Finally we are admitting it. Hopefully the club identifies, probably via the review - as the major issue.
Another disagreement I had with SoS and others, when he said, you can turn the culture around in 24 hours or something similar to that. Bull dust you can. It going to take at least 48.......FMD.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

There's so many things you could say about yesterday's loss to Gold Coast but I'll keep it to 2 sentences .......

In my opinion our worst loss for the year.
Just plain embarrassing for the club (don't appear to give a s##t) and supporters (we do but we're heading that way).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:39 pm 
Bert Deacon

what makes a coach successful? Ans cattle /players clarkson had ,roughie buddie,lewis,hodge,mitchell.burgyone,cyrill,bruest,gibson,birchall,hill.shields etc etc and now ross lyon , roo, del santo,gilbert,goddard,kozzie,montagna,milne,hayes,baker etc etc have we got any of these types on our list . weits/macca/ walsh,charlie .king, probably be in our next premiership team ,so my point is without the correct players doesnt matter who coaches us

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

Ironically just bumped into Parko when going for a stroll -now that is a coach and those were the days Girls and boys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jamespul65 wrote:
what makes a coach successful? Ans cattle /players clarkson had ,roughie buddie,lewis,hodge,mitchell.burgyone,cyrill,bruest,gibson,birchall,hill.shields etc etc and now ross lyon , roo, del santo,gilbert,goddard,kozzie,montagna,milne,hayes,baker etc etc have we got any of these types on our list . weits/macca/ walsh,charlie .king, probably be in our next premiership team ,so my point is without the correct players doesnt matter who coaches us

How many of those players did Clarkson actually make into good players? I reckon over half. Lyon likewise.

I reckon roughie, buddy and hodge were natural superstars. Burgoyne was a serious player under a massive injury cloud. Mitchell was a bonafide accumulator and had won the rising star if I recall and Lewis was a hard nut competitor and early draft pick. Breust, Gibson, Birchall, Hill, Shiels, Sewell, Young etc were the type who would have been average or below under a coach without system, drive and game plan.

Great players will be great players.

Shit players will be shit players.

Great coaches, systems and game plans drag the middle tier up to a level beyond what other coaches could get out of them.

Put Breust, Gunston, Gibson, Birchall, Hill, Shiels etc into this current Carlton side under this current coaching team and they'd be bang average.

A good coach lifts the mid-tier players. A shit coach relies on talented players alone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 266  Next