Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I’m happy with this news - I have a feeling this could be Carlton’s Brendan McCartney/Luke Beveridge sliding doors moment.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Kingy and Sellers on 360 articulated exactly what I've been thinking. They were 100% correct.

What did they say?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/ ... ire!742594

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:47 am 
Laurie Kerr

To those knocking the process, what does the right process look like, and where does it place the club?

Just about every coach without training wheels has:
serious baggage and/or
a stench about them and/or
won’t be going anywhere.

Voss? Meh.
Hinkley - what has he done exactly?

Okay so just talk to every coach with training wheels on for long enough (but not too long), hoping every missed call doesn’t lead to a back page story, and praying that Chris Judd doesn’t continue to get caught off guard by completely predictable questions (do you even prepare Juddy?!?)

Meanwhile, Stk are running their own ‘process’, and Essendon**, Freo and Adelaide are all eyeing the market.

If Teague was poached by one of those clubs, the jungle drums will immediately start beating. If Teague went on to have more success at that club, it would trigger a Royal Pde riot on the scale of Hong Kong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:00 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Those of you who are dead set against this can start pnning your 'I told youse' letters.
The stars are aligning.
We have just appointed an ex Carlton player with extended experience as a coach at various levels up to and including VFL.
He has been an assistant for many years under different coaches who have shown him how to do and not do stuff.
He has the players on board.
He has the punters on board.
The recalcitrants are on the board. They have had the best possible outcome for themselves. If he takes us up the ladder they can pat themselves on the back and if he doesn't, they can say they were responding to the groundswell of players past and present and members and supporters.

Now Teague and the players have to produce the goods. No more excuses. We have a young list with a couple of superstars in it. We have a big 4 club that is only inches from being a destination club again. We will finish at best 15th, which puts us in the bottom six for the draw next year. We have pick 10 or thereabouts plus Stocker. We have a young coach who seems to be respected by the so called experts for his demeanour and knowledge. He will get the chance to shape the list to suit what will be a new game plan next year. With a decent run on the injury front, we should win at least 10 games next year. We almost won that many this year...

This next seven months will drag on forever...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:08 am 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin III wrote:
Trigger wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
Congrats to David Teague for however long this lasts. I think I would have preferred them to leave no stone unturned and interview more than 2 people, but hey... I'm sure we know the answer but will never hear it.

What stone unturned, give me some examples of supercoaches out in the industry, educate us. You obviously know more than the experts about what is out there !!
Before you answer , how about give tc'ers your qualifications re interview processes cfc went thru!!

Please enlighten us idiots!!

ok :| I'll say it again. I would have preferred them to interview more than two people. Just my opinion. There are other coaches out there. I'm not advocating those coaches get the job, but it's nice to get some different perspectives on list, coaching and playing style. It's for your own knowledge as much as it is their experience. Other than that - I like the appointment. Hope he does well.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:09 am 
Harry Vallence

ferdinand wrote:
Trigger wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
Congrats to David Teague for however long this lasts. I think I would have preferred them to leave no stone unturned and interview more than 2 people, but hey... I'm sure we know the answer but will never hear it.

What stone unturned, give me some examples of supercoaches out in the industry, educate us. You obviously know more than the experts about what is out there !!
Before you answer , how about give tc'ers your qualifications re interview processes cfc went thru!!

Speak for yourself.

butt out!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:11 am 
Bruce Doull

Calm down, not everything’s a fight.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:29 am 
Robert Walls

Stamos wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Kingy and Sellers on 360 articulated exactly what I've been thinking. They were 100% correct.

What did they say?

Interesting watch.
If only because David King actually said something nice about Carlton..... Is he feeling OK? Or putting the mozz on?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:35 am 
Robert Walls

There’s only one other person, Clarkson, who I think could have been better and he wasn’t available. And that will be a blessing in disguise when we look back in a few years.

Right bloke, right time.

Now get Coniglio, Papley and a ruckman and we can get serious about finals next year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 am 
formerly King Kenny

Bluey44 wrote:
Stamos wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
The Duke wrote:

What did they say?

Interesting watch.
If only because David King actually said something nice about Carlton..... Is he feeling OK? Or putting the mozz on?

Has been all year. Positioning for an assistants role maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

yibbida wrote:
Now, where is that Blueman prophecy?

Someone please find it.

I've posted recently that I think Blueman was / is on the money now that the Syrian- ISIS war has come to a close.

Its time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:14 am 
Bob Chitty

Very happy with the appointment.

As for the process, it is all about getting the best person for the job and I think they’ve done that. They’ve had 10 weeks to determine who is available and then assess their suitability for the job. Clarkson clearly said no. Beyond that, no one else really intrigued me.

Now we can pitch with certainty to external trade targets and decisions can start being made on who stays or goes internally at seasons end. Over to SOS now. Get us cogs and a small forward.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

johnny wrote:
yes very young, has a calm manner and wants the kids to play for the jumper.

just need a boom recruit and a war......if you know what i mean.

congrats teaguey!

We've had the huge war in the Middle East with 20 million refugees spread across the continent.

Now for the boom recruit....could that be Coniglio? Maybe Docherty is the boom recruit. He returns to the fold after his last game in 2017.

Doesn't have to be Cog or Doc, can be a couple of bewdies to fill the 'gaps' whilst the list matures and improves over the next preseason.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:23 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
johnny wrote:
yes very young, has a calm manner and wants the kids to play for the jumper.

just need a boom recruit and a war......if you know what i mean.

congrats teaguey!

We've had the huge war in the Middle East with 20 million refugees spread across the continent.

Now for the boom recruit....could that be Coniglio? Maybe Docherty is the boom recruit. He returns to the fold after his last game in 2017.

Doesn't have to be Cog or Doc, can be a couple of bewdies to fill the 'gaps' whilst the list matures and improves over the next preseason.

Even if a small part of the prophecy is wrong, he's still more on point than Nostradamus ever was

Last edited by Scotty12000 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
Trigger wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:

ok :| I'll say it again. I would have preferred them to interview more than two people. Just my opinion. There are other coaches out there. I'm not advocating those coaches get the job, but it's nice to get some different perspectives on list, coaching and playing style. It's for your own knowledge as much as it is their experience. Other than that - I like the appointment. Hope he does well.

:thumbsup: :clap:

You're all class Doc.

Classic call and a classic response. Smooth operator.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:31 am 
Harry Vallence

Bluey44 wrote:
Stamos wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
The Duke wrote:

What did they say?

Interesting watch.

No, he's been bullish about us for a while, rates the list, and has been very strong about his ex team mate as a coach.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:31 am 
Ken Hands

bondiblue wrote:
Very happy.

My choice.

The people's choice

The media's choice.

The Crows players' choice.

The Carlton players' choice.

North Melboourne legends' choice.

What's there to discuss?

Is there a better candidate out there?
99.9% of footy world don't think there is either.

The Cripps-Doc Teague train.
The MDG Judd Liddle train.
The SOS Agresta Andrew Russell train.

I'm aboard

After this years list turnover the club has presented the new coach with 45 new players which includes 20 first round picks who want to be at Carlton and a few stalwarts in Murphy Kreuzer Simmo and Ed. On a platter.

Pressure is on Teague to deliver 17th Flag next year.
Do you thing SOS and Russell.

Pressure to deliver the flag next year?

I'll take top 8.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:36 am 
Bruce Doull

Quote:
Dear Liam,

We are delighted to let you know that the Carlton Football Club has appointed David Teague as its Senior Coach.

David has signed on to lead our AFL team for at least the next three seasons, becoming the 34th coach in Carlton’s 155-year history.

Having been a John Nicholls Medallist during a playing career that included 50 games in the Navy Blue, David now steps into the senior role determined to coach our great club to success.

Today’s announcement is the culmination of 12 years of hard work for David, who began his coaching journey as a 26-year-old with the Northern Bullants in 2008.

After three years, and back-to-back VFL Grand Final appearances, he then commenced a thorough AFL apprenticeship spanning nine years.

This extensive progression began with the West Coast Eagles in 2011 and included time at St Kilda and Adelaide before returning to Ikon Park where he has been an assistant coach since 2018.

As we know, David was given the opportunity to put his wealth of experience into effect this season when he was appointed interim coach in Round 12.

From that moment he has instilled belief and confidence in our players, as well as showcasing an exciting brand of football.

This has translated into an uplift in on-field performance that has seen us enjoy a resurgence in the second half of the season.

For the last two months the Club has conducted an extensive and thorough process in order to secure a senior coach who was going to be able to hit the ground running and take our football club forward as we look towards to a sustained era of success.

David has shown the ability to build meaningful relationships, not only with his players but his staff and especially our members and supporters. Our entire football club cannot wait to take this next significant step as we work towards our ultimate goal of winning our 17th AFL premiership.

As a club, we congratulate David, his wife Hannah, and their family as we look forward to sharing this journey together.

I look forward to seeing you at the footy on Saturday when we take on the Saints.

Go Blues!

Mark LoGiudice
President, Carlton Football Club
Member ID: 12010170

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:38 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I would have preferred us to talk to a guy like Blake Caracella rather than waste time with Voss.
I am happy with Teague. His resume as an assistant stacks up as good as any. He has coaches in his own right. He knows the list well. He has engaged with the list well and he was able to make some adjustments within the season that made us super competitive.
I wanted Clarko, I have to admit. But I am 100% on the Teague Train.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 am 
Harry Vallence

Interesting that with so many senior coaching positions available, there is a reluctance from the clubs to go through an exhaustive process to find their next coach.

I think that it's pretty clear that there is a very shallow pool of quality assistant coaches out there and the respected senior coaches are not willing to move from their current positions, possibly because the soft cap has stopped godfather deals for massiah coaches.

We can only judge whether the club made the right decision in time, however Teague has been universally admired by past players, current players, media, members, supporters and people he has previously worked with and you don't receive that sort of endorsement if you are not a highly capable people person (coach)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 266  Next