Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:17 pm 
John James

Blue Vain wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
His post match press conferences are more about managing outside criticism and media comment at the moment.
With a bit of smart arse defensiveness thrown in.
I like Teague but he needs to pull his head in, do his job and be a professional. If he wants to control the outside noise, do it with good coaching and wins.

I do not have an issue with his press conferences. He answers the questions put to him in an honest and open way. What's not to like?

For starters he was asked about Dochertys new role playing half forward and wing. Teague responded that the journo needs to watch the game again because Docherty didn't play half forward. Instead of embarrassing the journo, he embarrassed himself because Docherty clearly started 2 quarters at half forward.
He then moved to the wing but it was a totally legitimate question and the journo was technically correct which makes Teague look like he has amnesia or he has no idea.

He also made a comment about saving the journo's the time of cutting up vision of defensive errors. Being a smart arse doesn't suit him. Get some wins and credibility first.
Just my opinion.

Yep. He’s better than Malthouse and that guy from Hawks who repeated cliches like “green shoots” even more than Teague does. It’s a tough job fronting journos week in week out and some are just better at it than others. Clarkson was disarmingly peaceful and equanimous in presser. Not defensive, stayed positive and pointed to the clubs great history in rising from adversity. Don’t like him but was impressed for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:22 pm 
John James

WOW wrote:
This a club issue

Doubt any coach would have much success at this club

The stain of losing has embedded itself at this club

Normally associated with a poor culture

Still say Matherson’s bad karma profiting from a truely vile industry runs off on us as long as we take his money and give his relatives positions they wouldn’t have a hope of winning on merit.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:38 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

diesel95 wrote:
Clarkson was disarmingly peaceful and equanimous in presser. Not defensive, stayed positive and pointed to the clubs great history in rising from adversity. Don’t like him but was impressed for once.

Yeah, Clarkson has a history of being disarmingly peaceful, equanimous, not defensive and overwhelmingly positive.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-indiscretions-of-hawthorn-coach-alastair-clarkson-20150427-1mu1ug.html

Quote:
2006: Is fined $5000 for confronting umpires Scott McLaren and Kieron Nicholls on the return flight to Melbourne after the round 18 game against Fremantle. Clarkson later apologises to the umpires and referred to himself a "peanut" for his behaviour.

2008: Clarkson, who had form for abusing reporters after press conferences, launches a foul-mouthed attack on Tasmanian journalist Brett Stubbs. The crime Stubbs had committed was simply reporting that Brad Sewell and Jarryd Roughead did not train with the main Hawthorn group the night before a clash against the Western Bulldogs at Launceston and therefore had to be considered in doubt. Hawthorn lost for the first time that season — in round 10 — and Clarkson was fined $5000 for the verbal barrage.

2009: Was handed a $5000 suspended fine for his part in the heated scenes following the Hawks' defeat against Essendon*. Clarkson was furious with Bombers captain Matthew Lloyd after he ironed out midfielder Brad Sewell. Hawthorn football manager Mark Evans had to restrain Clarkson, who later apologised for his behaviour which AFL ruled had been in a 'threatening or aggressive manner' and again called himself a "peanut". Lloyd was suspended four games for the hit on Sewell.

2010: Clarkson embarrassed his fellow coaches at the AFL Coaches' Association AGM when he unleashed a four-letter verbal tirade at Gillon McLachlan over the AFL's new broadcast media rules.

2012: Received a four-match ban from the South Metro Junior Football league after he verbally abused a 19-year-old umpiring official during an under-nines match that featured his son.

That incident, which he later referred to as a "humiliating experience", occurred the day after he punched a hole in the wall of the MCG coaching box during the quarter-time break against Collingwood.

​2013: Apologised to two Port Melbourne players who he abused during a VFL game. He had been angry about an incident involving Port Melbourne's Toby Pinwill and Box Hill's Sam Iles, which led to Pinwill being reported. He called Pinwill and John Baird after Hawthorn received a letter from the VFL asking Clarkson to explain his behaviour.

He was again caught out swearing at an AFL Media journalist when he tired of questioning about an expected easy win for the Hawks in an upcoming game against Greater Western Sydney.

2015: An incident involving Clarkson and a Port Adelaide fan is investigated by police after the Hawks' loss to the Power in Adelaide. Footage, caught on mobile phone, shows Clarkson lashing out at the fan who was goading him.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

That's probably why the poster said Clarkson was disarmingly peaceful and why he was impressed "for once" :?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:56 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Vain wrote:
That's probably why the poster said Clarkson was disarmingly peaceful and why he was impressed "for once" :?

Impressed that someone wasn't an areshole "for once"? :?

If that's the standard they are happy with, well "good on 'em"!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:15 pm 
Serge Silvagni

This club is a joke.

That’s all I can say.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:22 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Ok...I will say more.

I went to the mighty G yesterday to see my first game in three years.

Lots of problems with the team.

Silvagni deserves his spot in the 22. Smart player. We need a Luke Hodge type (if there is now such a thing) to be the General of our team. Bereft of leadership.

I feel we are going nowhere as a club.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

Still, good news about the win, eh?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:31 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Princes Park is officially an ice rink.

Everyone is walking on thin ice.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

Would an ice rink's ice be thin?

Ok ok, I'll stop now (until the next one)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

BlueJean wrote:
Princes Park is officially an ice rink.

Everyone is walking on thin ice.

Can you tell Tonya Harding to bugger off then? Been enough leg injuries at Carlton this season

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:03 pm 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:
Would an ice rink's ice be thin?

Ok ok, I'll stop now (until the next one)

:grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

verbs wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

With Clarkson, yes. I think once is an achievement.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:22 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Vain wrote:
verbs wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Once isn't impressive.

As a master coach, why is his team languishing second last? Maybe it's not his genius and perhaps the players he has at his disposal? If he can create genius game plans and structures why is his team a game off the wooden spoon?

It's easy to be disarmingly peaceful when no-one expects you to win.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Yes you're right Verbs. You cant have success without quality players.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:13 pm 
Robert Walls

verbs wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
verbs wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Once isn't impressive.

As a master coach, why is his team languishing second last? Maybe it's not his genius and perhaps the players he has at his disposal? If he can create genius game plans and structures why is his team a game off the wooden spoon?

It's easy to be disarmingly peaceful when no-one expects you to win.

I wish I could be disarmingly peaceful and equanimous after a win...

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:40 am 
Bob Chitty

teague is the victim of the domino effect.

without the players at his disposal he is somewhat hamstrung.

we bring a player in, the domino effect takes place.

Newman back into the side, frees up docherty to the wing. saad, williams to HBF, and docherty on the win looks a master stroke (something like over 2000m gained for all 3) ... but teague hasnt had the ability to do that to date, because they are playing their 2nd game together ... newman wasnt available ...

Newman into the side allows that to happen, martin in the side will allow something else to change structurally ... fisher in the side will have another domino effect, curnow in the side etc... etc.. TDK into the side means we dont have to play a clearly hobbles Levi ... and our rucks combine for 3 or 4 goals? The domino effect makes a difference ...

judge this guy at the end of the year, when hopefully we get a decent run at it, with more than 4/5 of our team playing continous football. Some might say its rubbish, but i believe we have had a bit of bad luck in the fixure this year ... playing teams that are flying and nearly at full strength with what is honestly 1/4 of our starting 22 not being available. Im dissapoiunted in some of our loses (Pies lose in particular hurts) but its not all doom and gloom either.

i also think the conversation about us not smashing side, is an education. we need to understand how to win first. we havent been winning for along time. we will learn that this year. Last year was about getting into positions to win, this year its about getting into positions and taking the victory, next year will be about rolling over sides. for years carlton has probably been seen as easy beats, and we all know we give sides an opportunity, but we are holding in for the wins, and the loses we are having arent horrendous (aka the saints)

still alot of improvement to go, but i think Teague is being unfairly judged, very early in his career. clearly we arent a top 6 side, having failed that test, but we are certainly in and around the 7 to 12 mark IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:30 am 
Horrie Clover

ScottSaunders2 wrote:

Newman back into the side, frees up docherty to the wing. saad, williams to HBF, and docherty on the win looks a master stroke (something like over 2000m gained for all 3) ... but teague hasnt had the ability to do that to date, because they are playing their 2nd game together ... newman wasnt available ...

Newman into the side allows that to happen, martin in the side will allow something else to change structurally ... fisher in the side will have another domino effect, curnow in the side etc... etc.. TDK into the side means we dont have to play a clearly hobbles Levi ... and our rucks combine for 3 or 4 goals? The domino effect makes a difference ...

judge this guy at the end of the year, when hopefully we get a decent run at it, with more than 4/5 of our team playing continous football. Some might say its rubbish, but i believe we have had a bit of bad luck in the fixure this year ... playing teams that are flying and nearly at full strength with what is honestly 1/4 of our starting 22 not being available. Im dissapoiunted in some of our loses (Pies lose in particular hurts) but its not all doom and gloom either.

i also think the conversation about us not smashing side, is an education. we need to understand how to win first. we havent been winning for along time. we will learn that this year. Last year was about getting into positions to win, this year its about getting into positions and taking the victory, next year will be about rolling over sides. for years carlton has probably been seen as easy beats, and we all know we give sides an opportunity, but we are holding in for the wins, and the loses we are having arent horrendous (aka the saints)

still alot of improvement to go, but i think Teague is being unfairly judged, very early in his career. clearly we arent a top 6 side, having failed that test, but we are certainly in and around the 7 to 12 mark IMO.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:53 am 
Rod Ashman

DLC wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:

ME TOO :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

ScottSaunders2 wrote:

Great post.

Spot on.

The Media create the negative Carlton headlines week in week out. They do it for sport. Click bait. The nuffies take the media's word as gospel....Robbo, Whateley, Landberger, Cornes, King, BT, all of them...all of them.

Let the Dominoes fall...and they are...and as you say will continue to do so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 266  Next