Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

From today's presser ....
He was also optimistic about his future. “I will go into the blue skies of what the rest of my life will look like,” he said

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
jim wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
I get it GWS but Micky had a history of winning them and that didn’t end so well
Also one amazing Don Sheed goal away from winning in 2018

I get some won’t support this for whatever reason I just objectively think this is worth considering

I get the Malthouse Pagan baggage

He had a couple of good years, after their review, but the other 8 years were pretty shit given what he had to work with.

Could he blossom with our list and with the addition of a couple new players at the end of the year, could he create a Game Plan to take us to Finals?

That's not the issue. It's the culture, the lack of drive and motivation to play for anything other than a pay cheque. Changing coaches hasn't altered that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

The irony is that bucks coaches for when the team does not have the ball and Teague coaches for when we do.

Question is which is harder to get right, I would say that it's easier to fix the defensive side than the ball movement which Bucks clearly couldn't fix at the pies.

So by that metric, Teague is the better coach.

IMHO the problems for the team lies squarely with the players and the leaders in particular, it's not our younger players - you can't ask any more from Weitering, Walsh or Harry

We will only improve when the players take responsibility for their performance and stop hiding behind the coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
jim wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
I get it GWS but Micky had a history of winning them and that didn’t end so well
Also one amazing Don Sheed goal away from winning in 2018

I get some won’t support this for whatever reason I just objectively think this is worth considering

I get the Malthouse Pagan baggage

He had a couple of good years, after their review, but the other 8 years were pretty shit given what he had to work with.

Could he blossom with our list and with the addition of a couple new players at the end of the year, could he create a Game Plan to take us to Finals?

That's not the issue. It's the culture, the lack of drive and motivation to play for anything other than a pay cheque. Changing coaches hasn't altered that.

You're assuming Malthouse, Bolton and teague were the right coaches to do that?

Is there any evidence they tried to change that culture you're talking about? Has the club?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:16 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Steve_C7 wrote:
The irony is that bucks coaches for when the team does not have the ball and Teague coaches for when we do.

Question is which is harder to get right, I would say that it's easier to fix the defensive side than the ball movement which Bucks clearly couldn't fix at the pies.

IMHO the problems for the team lies squarely with the players and the leaders in particular, it's not our younger players - you can't ask any more from Weitering, Walsh or Harry

We will only improve when the players take responsibility for their performance and stop hiding behind the coach.

Interesting question.

My thoughts would be defending. It’s a mindset most players need to be taught.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Steve_C7 wrote:

Pies move the ball well at times. We never defend well. Bucks is light years ahead of Teague as a coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
missnaut wrote:
Surely the last thing Buckley wants to do right now is take on a senior coach role at another club under the microscope.

What if he does?

What if he does at the end of the season?

If he does and we conduct a thorough and transparent process to determine that he's our man, no issue with that.

But being Carlton coach would be the only AFL job worse than being Collingwood coach right now though so surely he just wants some time out or a cushy special comments role on Ch 7.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

Pies move the ball well at times. We never defend well. Bucks is light years ahead of Teague as a coach.

We'd know that only if Buckley ever coached Carlton. He would've had about as much success as others gone by to get our players to work as they should. They don't have the drive or motivation. The culture is bad. No other coach has been able to get around that in 20 years including his mentor, who did get a flag and 4 GFs out of Collingwood. Could Teague have got Collingwood into more than a PF and GF in 10 years. With a much committed side than ours you just never know. Buckley had his players issues with his coaching style early on too.

Last edited by jim on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... lNXvcDGDew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:49 pm 
Banned

jim wrote:
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/31580921/afl-rohan-connolly-give-david-teague-break-carlton-was-never-ever-going-play-finals-year?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3qqmwkCX5jbecNjx6ESJnaXQxXyHvajuUi7eAqWzM2e0oaNlNXvcDGDew

Spot on.

Simply dont have enough talent is as accurate assessment as you can get.

Playing finals was for sure ambitious but that depended on few things. We don't have an engine room, we can't tackle, not good enough skill and without an engine room we are not going to win many games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/31580921/afl-rohan-connolly-give-david-teague-break-carlton-was-never-ever-going-play-finals-year?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3qqmwkCX5jbecNjx6ESJnaXQxXyHvajuUi7eAqWzM2e0oaNlNXvcDGDew

What a rubbish reporter/ journo.

Could you tell he's an Effendrugs supporter too.

what about the bit..."...perhaps Weitering too" when he looked for the stars he picked Walsh, Cripps, Harry and perhaps Weitering.

Nothing about his fellow scribes who think we've got the list to make finals but have a problem defending...nothing about losing 6 games last year by less than a goal, nothing about injuries, nothing about the coach selecting injured players or out of form players.

He lays no blame on coaching.

I get with injuries we don't bat deep, but he doesn't mention that either.

As usual he's another journo who doesn't reseasrch and cant spell...did I mention he doesnt do grammar.

Go @#$%&! yourself Rohan you egotistical flower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:

"Who are the genuine class acts on the Carlton list? To my mind, there's four - Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Harry McKay and perhaps Jacob Weitering."

So Harry is a class act but Weiters is only "perhaps"?

Dope.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Beat me to it bondi... :thumbsup:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
jim wrote:

Spot on.

Playing finals was for sure ambitious but that depended on few things. We don't have an engine room, we can't tackle, not good enough skill and without an engine room we are not going to win many games.

What do you mean spot on then say ..."but that depended on a few things"?

Mate he suggestswe should be going through the process by going to the draft instead of trading in Saad and Williams. We the @#$%&! has he been since 2015?

Why don't the players have enough skill? Pick 3, 5, 7, 10, 17, 22? He doesn't mention that either.

I understand your point re engine room, but he doesn't, so what's so spot on?

He's a [REDACTED].

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:09 pm 
Banned

bondiblue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
jim wrote:

Spot on.

What do you mean spot on then say ..."but that depended on a few things"?

Mate he suggests going we should be going through the process by going to the draft instead of trading in Saad and Williams. We the @#$%&! has he been since 2015?

Why don't the players have enough skill? Pick 3, 5, 7, 10, 17, 22? He doesn't mention that either.

I understand your point re engine room, but he doesn't, so what's so spot on?

He's a [REDACTED].

He's definitely right on most things imo. Not right on Weitering as he is the best CHB in the game so not sure what he was thinking there.

Rose-coloured glasses issues to expectations this year - tick
Statistically mid-table or worse how is this team with the talent they have in the middle going to make finals? - tick
Wafer thin midfield with only Walsh and Cripps holding the fort - tick
Largest loss under Teague was 31 points with shithouse talent in the midfield - tick
Liam Stocker to play in the midfield - tick
Blues simply dont have enough talent - tick

Going to the draft - absolutely not!!!

He forgot to mention our rucks are not at AFL dominant standard but TDK has potential to be one in 2-3 years but thats not going to help to win games this year or next and will constantly get battered and bashed in the midfield until this area of the ground is rectified. So alot of what he said is factual to my mind I had exactly same thought pre season with slight optimism. Very bullish on bookends but midfield is a farce and has been for years,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
jim wrote:

What a rubbish reporter/ journo.

Could you tell he's an Effendrugs supporter too.

what about the bit..."...perhaps Weitering too" when he looked for the stars he picked Walsh, Cripps, Harry and perhaps Weitering.

Nothing about his fellow scribes who think we've got the list to make finals but have a problem defending...nothing about losing 6 games last year by less than a goal, nothing about injuries, nothing about the coach selecting injured players or out of form players.

He lays no blame on coaching.

I get with injuries we don't bat deep, but he doesn't mention that either.

As usual he's another journo who doesn't research and cant spell...did I mention he doesnt do grammar.

Go @#$%&! yourself Rohan you egotistical flower

Coach is just one selector, although, as young coaches do, they go to the well of their well of more proven players when they should look elsewhere. I have found that an issue as also playing blokes out of position. Young coaches under pressure tend make errors. He would have done better playing fit players even is they have less talent and in the right positions. Hopefully that's a lesson he takes on board after the review. Bar Ratten he has still done alot better than everyone else in the last 20 years by a margin. Low bar admittedly. Buckley had player issues with his coaching style early days. Often part of being a young coach.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 9F29rmhmAY

There is plenty Rohan got right too. We are literally in every game. If the players have alot more drive and motivation we would likely be in the 8 given our scoreboard competitiveness. No coach has sorted that in 20 years though. Competitive to winning wouldn't take alot as it stands.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:45 pm 
John Nicholls

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
I think we underestimate the impact list management decisions out of Buckley's control have hampered him in the past 2 seasons.

Curious as to how much input he had on the De Goey/Grundy contracts, or how much say he had in the subsequent need for the Treloar/Phillips/Stephenson decisions.

Sheed hits the post. GWS rush a behind a year later. The football media falls over itself to anoint Ross Lyon as a could've/should've premiership coach, but never do the same yards to pay Buckley the same respect.

Spot on.

I can't see it happening for two main reasons though:

1) Club will want to avoid something that appears like the Malthouse deal all over again (despite this being a different proposition)
2) I can't see him wanting to cross to a rival out of revenge - he seems a guy of far higher principle than Malthouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:48 pm 
John Nicholls

Steve_C7 wrote:

I wonder if Buckley could be the guy to come in and mentor Teague, while taking ownership of the defensive side.

It's not a "head coach" role, so it wouldn't get the same kind of scrutiny. It's not out of revenge - it's about achieving what he as yet hasn't been able to. Grand final success.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

You know who we need.

Coach Nick.

SEN's Coach Nick.

He has
A solution
For your business

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

He's available too. I hear all he does with his time is sit around waiting for gutters facias & downpipes to be delivered

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 266  Next