Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

carntheblues wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
I am certain our issue is coaching.

There is no system. Our player have no idea where their team mates are going to be when they win the ball.

We will kick goals and win games based on individuals. But we don't have a system that the players can bank on when it goes to shit.

I've never been surer that it's coaching and strategy. Not selections. Not individual ability.

I am certain this statement is rubbish! 1000% rubbish in fact. It is very difficult with significant numbers of players going in and out of the side due to injury and poor form to be a cohesive team. That doesn't mean there is no system. And to prove my point if there was NO system we would get smashed every week. Get our best 22 fit and playing together consistently and we would be winning a lot more games. For now we need to persist and determine which players are willing to work hard. Better transition and defensive efforts would be a good start.

If you say transition is a problem then you’ve completely undermined the rest of your post. Transition is coaching and decision making.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:49 pm 
Robert Walls

bluehammer wrote:

There is no system. Our player have no idea where their team mates are going to be when they win the ball.

We will kick goals and win games based on individuals. But we don't have a system that the players can bank on when it goes to shit.

I've never been surer that it's coaching and strategy. Not selections. Not individual ability.

You are right

And...I'll refine it further...the senior coach. The buck stops with DT

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

CarltonClem wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

I am certain this statement is rubbish! 1000% rubbish in fact. It is very difficult with significant numbers of players going in and out of the side due to injury and poor form to be a cohesive team. That doesn't mean there is no system. And to prove my point if there was NO system we would get smashed every week. Get our best 22 fit and playing together consistently and we would be winning a lot more games. For now we need to persist and determine which players are willing to work hard. Better transition and defensive efforts would be a good start.

If you say transition is a problem then you’ve completely undermined the rest of your post. Transition is coaching and decision making.

Correctamundo.

It’s been an issue for some time, yet we sunk $1m+ a year into a pair of half back flankers that are uncoachable in transition defence.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:50 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
CarltonClem wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

I am certain this statement is rubbish! 1000% rubbish in fact. It is very difficult with significant numbers of players going in and out of the side due to injury and poor form to be a cohesive team. That doesn't mean there is no system. And to prove my point if there was NO system we would get smashed every week. Get our best 22 fit and playing together consistently and we would be winning a lot more games.

For now we need to persist and determine which players are willing to work hard. Better transition and defensive efforts would be a good start.

Correctamundo.

It’s been an issue for some time, yet we sunk $1m+ a year into a pair of half back flankers that are uncoachable in transition defence.

Let’s not stress , Teague will still have faith in this group ans what they are trying to
Achieve !!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Riley Beveridge
@RileyBev
·
1h
David Teague on Thursday's presser and the denial of Patrick Cripps' fractured back: "That was pretty average by me. I thought it was probably one of my worst press conferences. I knew the full extent ... the frustration probably came up because it was in the past." @AFLcomau

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

Injuries are absolutely killing us. On game day. On match selection day. And even some of those who're playing look severely physically hindered (Casboult, Cripps, Williams, etc.). And none of this helps the coach. But up till now, we've been looking like a team playing how their coach wants them to. The only problem is it's not sustainable AFL style of football. You've got to wonder about Teague's philosophies and what they were actually doing preseason.

Now that the season is shot, they seem to have finally realised that they need to tackle and defend a bit better. But simply slowing the ball movement down isn't a real solution to our defensive issues. All it did today was restrict our scoring and make the players look confused.

I probably shouldn't read too much into one performance. But instead of moving forward and competing for the 8, it looks to me like we're going backwards fairly quickly. If there's not much improvement by the bye, I'd begin looking for a replacement. Presumably someone like Brad Scott or Ross Lyon who's been able to demonstrate that he understands how to make it hard for opposition teams.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:19 pm 
John Nicholls

Is there a stat on how many coaches each club has changed over the course of, say, the last 10 years? The last 15?

We've certainly churned through a few. I'd be surprised if we don't lead the league on this one, since the early/mid 2000's. Surely if we continue doing the same thing, we can't expect a different result.

With Judd and MlG officially moving on end of year, and if my mail is true (from outside of TC) that several of our line coaches will be moved on at the end of the year, perhaps we should persist with Teague - particularly if the players like him, I don't have any particular info on that aspect - and go hard on getting a better team around him. Mentor. Line coaches. Fitness staff - is Russell past it? Psychologist (no joke, so much of this game is upstairs).

Problems at this club run deeper than the head coach. Need to give him (and Liddle) time to turn the ship around.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

robertbb wrote:
Is there a stat on how many coaches each club has changed over the course of, say, the last 10 years? The last 15?

We've certainly churned through a few. I'd be surprised if we don't lead the league on this one, since the early/mid 2000's. Surely if we continue doing the same thing, we can't expect a different result.

With Judd and MlG officially moving on end of year, and if my mail is true (from outside of TC) that several of our line coaches will be moved on at the end of the year, perhaps we should persist with Teague - particularly if the players like him, I don't have any particular info on that aspect - and go hard on getting a better team around him. Mentor. Line coaches. Fitness staff - is Russell past it? Psychologist (no joke, so much of this game is upstairs).

The decisions made over the 6 months will determine the fate of this playing group for the next 5 years and their success ....

And unfortunately there is no one at the club that you can trust with this

I say time to bring in Tom Elliot as president as start immediately

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

carntheblues wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

Nah you haven't convinced me. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:46 pm 
Serge Silvagni

It’s becoming cringe material now. That press conference today was embarrassing. Can someone just pull this club out of life support!...

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

Rather than finding reasons Teague should get the sack, can anyone tell my he should actually be our coach, other the fact that he’s the incumbent? What are his redeeming features? What do you see that you like? What sets him apart that makes you think he can take us to the top?

If Teague wasn’t already coach, and we were picking a coach on the open market given what we know about him from the past 2 years, would anyone actually pick Teague to be our coach and believe he is the best available?

Not directed at anyone in particular, just curious to see if anyone can pinpoint some legitimate strengths of his to give me some confidence that he’s the man to take us forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

BlueJean wrote:
It’s becoming cringe material now. That press conference today was embarrassing. Can someone just pull this club out of life support!...

He sounds completely defeated. I don’t think he has any idea how to turn this around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

It took Hardwick 8 years to really get his team going.

Then 3 premierships in 4 years.

Were we laughing at him during those 8 years, you bet we were.

How long has Teague had. One full covid influenced season and two part seasons.

I don't know if Teague is the coach but I try to see it from all angles.

Certainly a turnover of assistant coaches who have been around for awhile couldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:02 am 
Harry Vallence

He's made this bed all by himself.
Why is Murphy being gifted games.
Why is Plowman automatic selection.
Why are our young mids dropped week in week out.
Why are our young players getting form in the reserves yet come back in and play a different position.
Why is Levi still playing.
Why is Cripps playing.
Why is TDK not playing after having 3 months off.
Why is Gibbons dropped then still played as a sub.

I said it after the Filth game that a statement should have been made and standards set that could have changed the whole psychology of this footy club when he had the opportunity to drop senior players like Plowman, Murphy and Casboult but instead it was like groundhog day he dropped the kids.
This problem has been created by him and his assistants whereby players like Plowman and Murphy know no matter what they do on game day that their place in this team is safe week in week out.
We are a soft , nice and cuddly club and the words RUTHLESS and ARROGANT are NO longer associated with CFC.
Culture we have NONE

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:15 am 
Wayne Johnston

Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Certainly a turnover of assistant coaches who have been around for awhile couldn't hurt.

Well said, he’s had one “normal” season to coach, at least give him this offseason to reflect on what went right and what went wrong and the time to adjust for next season. It’s incredibly difficult to not only make changes mid season but also to have the time to reflect objectively on what actual changes need to be made.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:34 am 
Rod Ashman

sinbagger wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Well said, he’s had one “normal” season to coach, at least give him this offseason to reflect on what went right and what went wrong and the time to adjust for next season. It’s incredibly difficult to not only make changes mid season but also to have the time to reflect objectively on what actual changes need to be made.

Are but apparently according to experts on here we have no game strategy!.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 am 
Rod Ashman

bluehammer wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

Nah you haven't convinced me. Sorry.

I am not trying to convince you as most experts on here are stuck fast to their own opinions and find it difficult to distinguish between opinion and fact. I can tell you as fact we have a system. Whether it is any good or working is another question but to state we don't have any system IS rubbish.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:32 pm 
Serge Silvagni

deano35 wrote:
He's made this bed all by himself.
Why is Murphy being gifted games.
Why is Plowman automatic selection.
Why are our young mids dropped week in week out.
Why are our young players getting form in the reserves yet come back in and play a different position.
Why is Levi still playing.
Why is Cripps playing.
Why is TDK not playing after having 3 months off.
Why is Gibbons dropped then still played as a sub.

I said it after the Filth game that a statement should have been made and standards set that could have changed the whole psychology of this footy club when he had the opportunity to drop senior players like Plowman, Murphy and Casboult but instead it was like groundhog day he dropped the kids.
This problem has been created by him and his assistants whereby players like Plowman and Murphy know no matter what they do on game day that their place in this team is safe week in week out.
We are a soft , nice and cuddly club and the words RUTHLESS and ARROGANT are NO longer associated with CFC.
Culture we have NONE

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:37 pm 
Banned

Everyone has the right of say on our Senior coach.

But does take a long time to build a strong team culture.

Bomber Thompson took him seven years
Hardwick eight years

Hinkley eight years and no flag

Leon Cameron seven years and no flag with arguably the best list two years ago.

Takes a long time for the coach to imprint a team culture and keep swap and changing doesn't do anyone any good.

Providing there is a system and players not running around like headless chook and lose players in the dressing room which Bolton did he is not going anywhere. Alot of work needs to be done.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

Funny how the only kid Bolts gave a proper apprenticeship not just gifted games on draft position turns out to be leading the Coleman.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 266  Next