Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm 
John James

Time to get on with running the club effectively and behave like adults. This should have been thrashed out inside the club and not aired in the media.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:42 pm 
Bert Deacon

ok sos got that out of his system ,now we move on to this year draft and I hope Nick Austin does a great job. The best news on sen this morning was that Cain little did not go on air to respond.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

Yeah
He will probably publish a tell all book in 5 years timE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

The key thing from all this is
Make sure you get the right person for the job
The club hasn’t learnt
Jobs for the boys
Clearly Judd is as weak as piss and shouldn’t be on the board
Don’t be fooled about what a great player he was
He is the Christopher Pyne of the Carlton Football Club
He always ends up on the winning side
MLG has no conviction
Jeannie and Craig wouldn’t know what @#$%&! day it was

Yes let’s hope Austin does a great job

But the next storm cell is somewhere down south with these flower running the club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

Keogh’s keyboard appears to be stuck...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:49 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Donstuie wrote:
Yeah, I noticed that

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

kingkerna wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Yeah, I noticed that

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

You mean synbad?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

lucablue wrote:
dane wrote:
SOS will have a job in recruiting again soon if he's any good.

Highly doubtful he gets another list manager job in the AFL. Has burnt a lot of bridges on the way out, and shown other clubs what to expect when things don't go his way. To me, he was a lazy recruiter, did not do the hard yards that other list managers do at the top clubs . Blind Freddy should be able to see that.

Let's put aside his highly questionable strategy for bringing in GWS players that he selected when the GWS list manager. Looking back at all of the players selected at pick 20+, his record has been very ordinary when judged by how many B+ or above grade players he can find. Not expecting to turn every one of these 20+ pick into a B+ or A grader , but you need to be finding at least 1 every 2 years if you're going to move your back up the ladder from where we were down the bottom. IMO.

2015 - Cunningham (23), Jack Silvagni (53)
2016 - Fisher (27), Macreadie (47), Poulson (59), Williamson (61), Kerr (65)
2017 - De Konig (30), Schumachker (70), Garlett (78)
2018 - O'Dwyer (66), Ben Silvagni (70)
2019 - Philp (20), Ramsay (47)

In 5 years, none of these fall into the B+ or A grade category. NONE!!!! A few might become B+ graders, but NONE are close yet.

Clubs like Geelong select players the quality of Sam Menegola (57), Parfitt (26), Tim Kelly (24), Miers (57). At Hawthorn Warpol (45) & Sicily (56), Freo, Lachie Neale (58), at WC Tom Barass (43) & Jeremy McGovern (74), North Ben Brown (47)

Our 2017 could turn out to be a horror story. With picks 3 & 10, instead of Dow & O'Brien, we could have Cerra & Naughton, or Hunter Clark and Ed Richards. The likes of Liam Ryan, Noah Balta, Aaron Naughton, Oscar Allan, Ed Richards, Tim Kelly, James Warpol were taken after O'Brien . All of them are B+ or A graders NOW.

SOS is a Carlton legend, as a player.

As a list manager, we are fortunate the club showed the balls to say No SOS, we are not going to offer you another 5-year deal, see you later.

Well said

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:37 am 
Bob Chitty

that argument is honesly rubbish.

if a player goes at 50+ it means every club has passed on them at least twice ... in some instances 3 times.

i would argue, its not the selection on where they are taken but the ability to develop them into the players they become is the issue.

you cant blame SOS for that.

(im neither a zealot for SOS, not am i a hater) but sometimes you blokes pluck names out of your arse for your argument.

do you honestly think, if the draft was done again players like J.MCGovern, L. Neale, T.Kelly etc.. woudl go anywhere but the top 3? What recruitment that would be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:54 am 
Geoff Southby

ScottSaunders2 wrote:

if a player goes at 50+ it means every club has passed on them at least twice ... in some instances 3 times.

i would argue, its not the selection on where they are taken but the ability to develop them into the players they become is the issue.

(im neither a zealot for SOS, not am i a hater) but sometimes you blokes pluck names out of your arse for your argument.

do you honestly think, if the draft was done again players like J.MCGovern, L. Neale, T.Kelly etc.. woudl go anywhere but the top 3? What recruitment that would be.

It’s one of his many mistakes
O’ Shea
Lang
Mullet
Fasolo
The obsession with GWS
Other than Gibbons which was after Bugg departed and Williamson the rest of his late picks have been shit
It’s cost us depth
We have too many crap players on our list
The Mc Govern trade looks like being a shocker
He half tried to justify it on the interview but that will probably set us back

Again let me say this
Around half of the player’s playing in the Grand Final are not top 40 picks
His recruiting was shallow blinkered and smacked of arrogance like his interview
Being a great player masks his inadequacies as a List Manager
Just like Judd as a board member. Judd is as weak as piss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 am 
Bob Chitty

ScottSaunders2 wrote:

So in 5 years as list manager, failure to produce a single B-grader or above beyond pick 20 in the draft is Okay for you!?

Hmmm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
lucablue wrote:
dane wrote:
SOS will have a job in recruiting again soon if he's any good.

Highly doubtful he gets another list manager job in the AFL. Has burnt a lot of bridges on the way out, and shown other clubs what to expect when things don't go his way. To me, he was a lazy recruiter, did not do the hard yards that other list managers do at the top clubs . Blind Freddy should be able to see that.

Let's put aside his highly questionable strategy for bringing in GWS players that he selected when the GWS list manager. Looking back at all of the players selected at pick 20+, his record has been very ordinary when judged by how many B+ or above grade players he can find. Not expecting to turn every one of these 20+ pick into a B+ or A grader , but you need to be finding at least 1 every 2 years if you're going to move your back up the ladder from where we were down the bottom. IMO.

2015 - Cunningham (23), Jack Silvagni (53)
2016 - Fisher (27), Macreadie (47), Poulson (59), Williamson (61), Kerr (65)
2017 - De Konig (30), Schumachker (70), Garlett (78)
2018 - O'Dwyer (66), Ben Silvagni (70)
2019 - Philp (20), Ramsay (47)

In 5 years, none of these fall into the B+ or A grade category. NONE!!!! A few might become B+ graders, but NONE are close yet.

Clubs like Geelong select players the quality of Sam Menegola (57), Parfitt (26), Tim Kelly (24), Miers (57). At Hawthorn Warpol (45) & Sicily (56), Freo, Lachie Neale (58), at WC Tom Barass (43) & Jeremy McGovern (74), North Ben Brown (47)

Our 2017 could turn out to be a horror story. With picks 3 & 10, instead of Dow & O'Brien, we could have Cerra & Naughton, or Hunter Clark and Ed Richards. The likes of Liam Ryan, Noah Balta, Aaron Naughton, Oscar Allan, Ed Richards, Tim Kelly, James Warpol were taken after O'Brien . All of them are B+ or A graders NOW.

SOS is a Carlton legend, as a player.

As a list manager, we are fortunate the club showed the balls to say No SOS, we are not going to offer you another 5-year deal, see you later.

Well said

this comes down to player development as well, which, as we all know, is an area we have certainly not excelled at

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

Liddle vs Sellers

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

SEN reporting Ian Prendergast has resigned

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yes wonder which of his mates will get the gig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:51 pm 
Robert Walls

How do you reckon Cain is travelling right now?

To me, he looked like a bit of an uncomfortable puppy with his tail between his legs during the pressers with the president..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:29 pm 
Craig Bradley

I’d say if there’s 20 action items arising from the review, he looked like 15 of them were either his fault, or had been in his too hard basket for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Bluey44 wrote:
How do you reckon Cain is travelling right now?

To me, he looked like a bit of an uncomfortable puppy with his tail between his legs during the pressers with the president..

I thought he looked fine. The only time he looked uncomfortable was when Sayers went off script and started personally attributing the failures to Teague. Apart from that, the press conference went very well.
Once Sayers did that, it gave headlines to the media. Liddle knew it was unwise and if he could have interjected without undermining Sayers, I'd suggest he would have.
Liddle is a strong performer IMHO. But he knows how to play the political games. The key is to harness people like that, ensure they are well aware of their job requirements, ensure they stay in their own lane and use their skills and energies where they are required.
If he can be correctly managed, he's great value to the organisation IMHO. If he is retained and cant be managed, the president needs to take responsibility.
I suspect Sayers is well aware of the pros and cons.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sakced 10/9/2021

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 41  Next