Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 174  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:35 am 
Banned

You have to earn the right to build a culture - quick fixes and messiahs not going to do it.

Only hard work will.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:14 am 
Harry Vallence

David Teague had his chance after the rd2 embarrassing loss to the filth to make a stand and change the culture of this club and put his stamp on us to becoming successful.
Instead of dropping Plowman, Docherty, Murphy for there deplorable efforts and laughter during the game he opted to keep playing them along with Levi on 1 bloody leg while Oscar Mac was fully fit and in form used as the Sub.
He had the perfect chance to start BUT he opted for only 1 change ..... Williamson was dropped..... THAT'S IT.!!

So the flow on from there is you have players busting there knacker while others are just are allowed to do whatever they want without any selection repercussions.
Instead of dropping Docherty for his lack of defence what do we do...... we take the easy option and move him onto the wing which leads to willo being dropped.
What should have happened is Docherty be told if you cannot defend then go back to the reserves and work on your craft then once your defence is up to scratch and you regain some level of confidence we will look at bringing you back as our defensive general, NOT move him and compensate him for the TEAM.

Plowman should have been given a spell for that deplorable game and to make it worse he laughed as if oh well I'll be right coz I know I'll still play no matter how bad I'm going

Murphy well he should never have been given a contract based on last year's efforts BUT if he's going to play then he must be held accountable for his efforts not after 14 rds but after 1 , 2 or 3 coz we have plenty of kids that could play his role.

Playing Levi on 1 leg was embarrassing for the club but also
for him. I love Levi and his passion coz he actually gives a stuff and bleeds Navy but Oscar Mac should have been rewarded for his pre season form and he actually showed some hunger to come into a new club and try to win some respect.

So you have a coach who isn't RUTHLESS with senior players and then you have MAJOR selection integrity issues and surprise surprise here we are 12 rd later with the club in damage control under a FULL REVIEW, young players not developing, older players doing as they please and a coaching group with absolutely NO answers.

We have a culture it's a freaking
LOSING CULTURE
LAZY CULTURE
SOFT CULTURE
MENTALY WEAK CULTURE

That's the new Carlton folks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:33 am 
Ken Hunter

I've been shot down by many for raising 'culture' since our 'tanking' years. 20 years and we still can't get it back. What else can I say.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:46 am 
Banned

SurreyBlue wrote:
I've been shot down by many for raising 'culture' since our 'tanking' years. 20 years and we still can't get it back. What else can I say.

Doesnt help but need elite talent or in other words 6-8 A graders that can lead to build a culture.

Not had it in the past but getting there.

Weitering, Docherty, Cripps, Walsh, McKay, Charlie - it's their club to take forward

Hopefully can add Kemp to that list in future.

List has not been in better shape in over a decade. Just need better talent in the middle that can defend and create goals.

SPS improving his game in VFL is hopefully one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:47 am 
Bruce Doull

Paddycripps wrote:
TheDenominator wrote:
keogh wrote:
I have been saying going on 15 years now the board has to go

So it's not recruiting it's the board?

It's everything.
It's a poorly run club as far as football goes.
But the board have presided over years of ineptitude.

It's the vibe of it. It's the Constitution. It's Mabo. It's justice. It's law. It's the vibe and ah, no that's it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:52 am 
Harry Vallence

Malcolm Blight demanded leaders Tony McGuinness, Chris McDermott, Andrew Jarman and Greg Anderson be let go before he coached Adelaide. A massive call from a coach who knows what colour his $%#@ is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:00 am 
Bruce Doull

Not to flog a dead horse, but I do find it amusing how many people are advocating for 'ruthlessness' and in the next breath demanding we carry Murphy to 300.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:07 am 
Bob Chitty

Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Doesnt help but need elite talent or in other words 6-8 A graders that can lead to build a culture.

Weitering, Docherty, Cripps, Walsh, McKay, Charlie - it's their club to take forward

List has not been in better shape in over a decade. Just need better talent in the middle that can defend and create goals.

Walshy I appreciate you are optimistic about us going forward but I can’t agree with the premise that culture is built on elite talent.
Culture is about setting non-negotiable standards that everyone in the joint must adhere to. Culture is about what we want to stand for as a club. It is about players and coaches doing everything legally possible to win games of football and ultimately premierships. It is about every player that runs out in the jumper knowing they need to tackle, chase, harass, go back with the flight, stick up for their mates etc and generally do everything in their power to win games of football.
That doesn’t take talent at all. We can get blokes from ressies local footy that could adhere to those standards and set a culture that demands adherence to those standards.
Of course we wouldn’t win games with a bunch of local ressies footballers but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t set standards that must be adhered to and create a culture that is singleminded on winning.
When Pitto was in a Lycett headlock on the ground for 1-2 mins, does it take talent for our players to get in and fly the flag for him? Three walked straight past him and just pretended it didn’t happen.
When Nic Newman nearly broke his neck against West Coast, does it take talent for our players to get over to him and check he is ok? Not one did. Zero players. That is damning.
The culture has been shot since the early 2000s.
The players cannot or do not want to drive non-negotiable standards as you can see from the pitiful display on the weekend. -37 tackles and -30 odd disposals is completely unacceptable. When the players will not drive the standards, the coach must step in. Our coach has had 2 years to set standards and has not done so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:24 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

david31 wrote:
Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Walshy I appreciate you are optimistic about us going forward but I can’t agree with the premise that culture is built on elite talent.
Culture is about setting non-negotiable standards that everyone in the joint must adhere to. Culture is about what we want to stand for as a club. It is about players and coaches doing everything legally possible to win games of football and ultimately premierships. It is about every player that runs out in the jumper knowing they need to tackle, chase, harass, go back with the flight, stick up for their mates etc and generally do everything in their power to win games of football.
That doesn’t take talent at all. We can get blokes from ressies local footy that could adhere to those standards and set a culture that demands adherence to those standards.
Of course we wouldn’t win games with a bunch of local ressies footballers but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t set standards that must be adhered to and create a culture that is singleminded on winning.
When Pitto was in a Lycett headlock on the ground for 1-2 mins, does it take talent for our players to get in and fly the flag for him? Three walked straight past him and just pretended it didn’t happen.
When Nic Newman nearly broke his neck against West Coast, does it take talent for our players to get over to him and check he is ok? Not one did. Zero players. That is damning.
The players cannot or do not want to drive non-negotiable standards as you can see from the pitiful display on the weekend. -37 tackles and -30 odd disposals is completely unacceptable. When the players will not drive the standards, the coach must step in. Our coach has had 2 years to set standards and has not done so.

Great post david.

I think Walshy is saying that the players (and lists them) can drive culture too with those things you speak of: non negotiables. I agree. Players who give a stuff, and go in hard (usually), and put the passengers on notice (ruthlessness).

I'd add another ex TAC captain to that list in Stocker, and players like Kemp and Philp have a bit of that white line fever, agro in them to play to the levels of competitiveness required, and stay the course of the minimum standard expected.

Other players need to be led to the way the team wants to play by the likes of those players mentioned, on field.

I'm afraid actions speak louder than words, and the actions we need to see are on field, like Walshy puts forward. Off field this year and last year, its been just words, but as you say david, if the standards are set and non negotiable from the off field team, then oof field and on field will be aligned and consistent to uphold the standards which imo have been compromised under Teague, and the current off field regime, because they are not ruthless enough.

Thank goodness we have called for a Review now rather than the end of the season. We may see signs of improvement this year rather than the shit we have been seeing in every game thus far in 2021 (ie the lapses)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
Not to flog a dead horse, but I do find it amusing how many people are advocating for 'ruthlessness' and in the next breath demanding we carry Murphy to 300.

Funny isn't it.

Can we have both for 5 more games?

If Murphy can play unsociable footy and set the standard I have no problem with him reaching 300 this late in the piece with finals out of the question. Hey, it may just help Murphy's standing at the club because he has tarnished his reputation and no one else.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:22 pm 
Bob Chitty

bondiblue wrote:
david31 wrote:
Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Great post david.

I think Walshy is saying that the players (and lists them) can drive culture too with those things you speak of: non negotiables. I agree. Players who give a stuff, and go in hard (usually), and put the passengers on notice (ruthlessness).

I'd add another ex TAC captain to that list in Stocker, and players like Kemp and Philp have a bit of that white line fever, agro in them to play to the levels of competitiveness required, and stay the course of the minimum standard expected.

Other players need to be led to the way the team wants to play by the likes of those players mentioned, on field.

I'm afraid actions speak louder than words, and the actions we need to see are on field, like Walshy puts forward. Off field this year and last year, its been just words, but as you say david, if the standards are set and non negotiable from the off field team, then oof field and on field will be aligned and consistent to uphold the standards which imo have been compromised under Teague, and the current off field regime, because they are not ruthless enough.

Thank goodness we have called for a Review now rather than the end of the season. We may see signs of improvement this year rather than the shit we have been seeing in every game thus far in 2021 (ie the lapses)

Agree with you Bondi that establishing culture requires buy in and setting of non-negotiable standards at all levels - players, coaches and the administration. My concern is that we are failing at each level.

Players are not setting non-negotiable standards amongst themselves. That is obvious when we allow a team to out tackle us by nearly 40 and we have less of the ball than them. We are 18th for tackle differential meaning we effectively lose the tackle count every week. The two instances I mentioned (no one helping Pitto while he was getting mauled and no one checking Newman was ok after the nasty landing) show a lack of camaraderie and care amongst the players. When McGovern turned up overweight after signing a 5x800k contract our players labelled him Brackets and joked about it to the media. Would Selwood allow this? As Sellers says, when he played the players motivated themselves and held themselves to account. If you did the wrong thing, you were quickly shunned. Who is holding anyone to account in our playing group? We’ve got a few tough players but you need 22. Owies in my view is one of the most committed and passionate players on our list and arguably he’s got the least footballing talent. We’ve rebuilt the list with talent but we don’t have a group of players willing to set standards so as to maximise those talents.

Coaches are also failing our players. When it is clear as day light that our players aren’t setting the right standards, why isn’t something done about it? Look at Port. They were a kick away from the GF last year. Hinkley has played Wines, Rockliff, Powell Pepper etc in the SANFL over the past few years to set standards. Even Noble today said Polec and Anderson will be going to the 2s to earn their spot. We rush back Jack Martin who looks underdone and disinterested on the weekend. Williams has turned up unfit and has underperformed but has just walked straight back into the team and has not yet been held to account. Players also take on the persona of their coach to an extent - look at how animated and aggressive Chris Scott, Fagan, Hinkley, Simpson etc can get. Their teams play with the same fire. We see no emotion or response from our coach. That is why I’d be looking at a new senior coach with a hard edge that will not accept crap. Someone who can sort through the players that are willing and unwilling to drive and adhere to standards that will make this club successful again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:22 am 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Walshy, I agree to an extent but we have midfield talent, it's between the ears right now.

As an example I would give you on this is Cotchin and Richmond. He turned his game around and into a more bollocking inside bull to 'lead' his team from the front. Unfortunately, Crippa is not doing enough right now and I'm not sure why he has gone backwards in such a way, but he needs to get back to what he was doing 2 years ago and show the players the way. He is the key!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:11 am 
Rod Ashman

Upon reflection, I suspect Sayers is going to end up turning over a fair bit of the Board too.

If anyone has worked in Consulting, you'd probably know the type of guy that Sayers is.
I reckon he already has in mind a fair bit of what he wants to change off the field, starting with the Board.
Any decent new CEO knows, they must make big changes to their key personnel early on if they are to effect change in the short window they have to establish their credentials. I reckon Sayers will use the review to bring this about. I would predict that by the end of 2022, half the Board will be different.

And, hopefully, the review does a good job with the Football Department too, in terms of senior coach, assistants, football admin, health/fitness staff etc...

And if both those things happen, things will turn pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:27 am 
Banned

Sayers has probably had the worst possible start to his presidency.

Lost a football director and announced a public external review where many think it was out of panic.

He needs to do alot better and this would have all been resolved by hiring a Coaching director - so many approaches to fill the football director void has been declined.

He needs a kick up the arse imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

deano35 wrote:
David Teague had his chance after the rd2 embarrassing loss to the filth to make a stand and change the culture of this club and put his stamp on us to becoming successful.
Instead of dropping Plowman, Docherty, Murphy for there deplorable efforts and laughter during the game he opted to keep playing them along with Levi on 1 bloody leg while Oscar Mac was fully fit and in form used as the Sub.
He had the perfect chance to start BUT he opted for only 1 change ..... Williamson was dropped..... THAT'S IT.!!

So the flow on from there is you have players busting there knacker while others are just are allowed to do whatever they want without any selection repercussions.
Instead of dropping Docherty for his lack of defence what do we do...... we take the easy option and move him onto the wing which leads to willo being dropped.
What should have happened is Docherty be told if you cannot defend then go back to the reserves and work on your craft then once your defence is up to scratch and you regain some level of confidence we will look at bringing you back as our defensive general, NOT move him and compensate him for the TEAM.

Plowman should have been given a spell for that deplorable game and to make it worse he laughed as if oh well I'll be right coz I know I'll still play no matter how bad I'm going

Murphy well he should never have been given a contract based on last year's efforts BUT if he's going to play then he must be held accountable for his efforts not after 14 rds but after 1 , 2 or 3 coz we have plenty of kids that could play his role.

Playing Levi on 1 leg was embarrassing for the club but also
for him. I love Levi and his passion coz he actually gives a stuff and bleeds Navy but Oscar Mac should have been rewarded for his pre season form and he actually showed some hunger to come into a new club and try to win some respect.

So you have a coach who isn't RUTHLESS with senior players and then you have MAJOR selection integrity issues and surprise surprise here we are 12 rd later with the club in damage control under a FULL REVIEW, young players not developing, older players doing as they please and a coaching group with absolutely NO answers.

We have a culture it's a freaking
LOSING CULTURE
LAZY CULTURE
SOFT CULTURE
MENTALY WEAK CULTURE

That's the new Carlton folks.

Brilliant post !! People who still love the club and understand no individual is bigger than the club

Crows win means nothing Except exposure to younger core of players and hopefully we can win more than we lose on the way home as a start into preseason

And send Teague off with a handshake at rd 22 and not brutalised across the media
Rhyce shaw like then he resigned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:35 pm 
Rod Ashman

I don't think he has lost a Football Director so much as ushered one out the door.
Similar with MLG.

If he simply appointed a Coaching Director, a few on here would be happy. A few would think it is BS. Others would think it a good idea but the wrong person appointed. Still others, would find something else to be annoyed about it.

He has accelerated a review that was prob going to happen end of year which is smart so that any changes can be made before we have to commit to assistant coaches, before draft day, and so that we can start to get our shit together sooner rather than later.
And, as I suggested above, I think he will use it to change many things he already knows he wants to change incl Board composition, Football Dept personnel and, hopefully, drive a better culture (but he'll have his own view on the role of culture too).
And he will want to get this all in place pretty quickly so that this time next year, we are demonstrating the fruits of this.

He is a smart guy. He is politically astute. Yes, he has the baggage of the last 10 years or so on the Board. But now, he is the man in charge. I'm prepared to give him a moment to show us what he can do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:37 pm 
Banned

Showing signs of panic mid season is a great sign of leadership and composure.

Showed too many muppet signs too early. I hope he can turn it around rather than being a joker in the pack that puts the club back 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

I can’t see how Lloyd survives this review, unless he finds a way to throw his two main appointments under the bus.

Playfair is at least eight months behind the acceptable outcomes.

Power yet to get off the mark, thrown a lifeline thanks to Playfair’s slow play.

The footy department needs teachers. Call them mentors if you’re insecure about your maturity, but the intent remains the same. Looking through the current staff, they’d struggle to teach a pig to be dirty. The most comparable teacher memory would be that one dopey Phys Ed guy that was just ok at setting up a game of rounders.

Last edited by Crusader on Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
I can’t see how Lloyd survives this review, unless he finds a way to throw his two main appointments under the bus.

Power yet to get off the mark, thrown a lifeline thanks to Playfair’s slow play.

Playfair left the club more than 12 months ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Playfair left the club more than 12 months ago.

Couldn’t be more than 6-8 months (season end 2020)… either way, one less scapegoat for Lloyd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 174  Next