Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 174  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:31 pm 
Geoff Southby

He's already worse than Bolton.
At least Bolton had the excuse of a team composed of GWS rejects and 1st and 2nd year players.
Teague has added both A grade senior talent and top kids to already partially developed 3rd and 4th years, plus Walsh.
He also has McKay getting form.
And somehow he has also managed to kill off some of our top draft picks.
It boggles my mind as to how we can even consider keeping him for the rest of the season let alone next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

frank dardew wrote:
Not sure Buzza if they get belted by GWS and don’t show much which is more than possible with this team and GWS cranked up after really losing to North I think he will be looking like Brendan Bolton

Unlikely to get belted Frank.

The thing that shits me most about this club and its players is that they pull their finger out just at the moment that the serious heat is about to be applied and open the pressure release valve.

It’s like Collingwood winning for Bucks.

If you can do it when the pressure’s on then why not do it when it’s not?

They’ll most likely lose but it’ll be brave and honourable and all the other bullshit that should only be associated with Essendon*.

@#$%&! lazy bunch of cauliflower happy taking the money but not really interested in much else.

I haven’t really watched cricket since Gilchrist retired because I couldn’t stomach the self-entitled bullshit of the players in the generation that followed.

Carlton is heading in the same direction unfortunately.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:50 am 
Serge Silvagni

Sidefx wrote:
At least Bolton had the excuse of a team composed of GWS rejects and 1st and 2nd year players.
Teague has added both A grade senior talent and top kids to already partially developed 3rd and 4th years, plus Walsh.
It boggles my mind as to how we can even consider keeping him for the rest of the season let alone next year.

Yep I’ve also seen enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:

Can you explain how Teague has managed to kill off our top draft picks?

I keep hearing this, but we've had question marks on those guys during the Bolton years.
Is it Teague, or is it a problem with development.

IIRC we applauded Teague picking teams to win and stop gifting games to the kids when they didn't deserve it.
The losses we have endured this year has some fans join the anti Carlton journos and turn on Teague, and he's been blamed for the failure of the highly prized draftees.

Was it SOS who got them wrong, Power who couldn't develop them, Russell who couldn't build them up, Covid affected VFL comp, or Teague for not playing them in the positions they were selected for, whether they were in form or not.

Its like Carlton getting blamed for Cripps breaking down. If Cripps can't handle the rigors of AFL he will break down. Some do. If Cripps wants to disregard his body when its crying out for a rest, when he can't run anymore, because he's a captain, its on Cripps, not Carlton imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:38 am 
Wayne Johnston

Cripps is symptomatic of what is wrong with the players, he thinks he has to win every match all by himself and be a superhero.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:10 am 
Rod Ashman

So trying too hard is the issue?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:58 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

More like not playing to our strengths collectively.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:39 am 
John James

What will change? It will depend on how "courageous" they will be. I feel that Lloyd will be really under the pump. What has he done to improve the football department that he leads?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:46 am 
Rod Ashman

I really hope this review gets to the bottom of the problem.
However, IMO it is multi-faceted so it will be a big challenge, assuming that those conducting and commissioning it have no agenda other than making this a great and winning club.
For example, re coaching which is obviously one of the key issues, I honestly don't know whether we just need to replace all/some of the assistants or whether we need to replace Teague.
I do wonder how Teague would go with better assistants and support around him - i.e. the Hardwick/Thompson/Buckley route.
I also wonder how his game plan would stand up with fitter, smarter, more team-oriented players.
But then I imagine what we would be like with Ross Lyon - the players WOULD be fitter, more team-oriented and would be drilled to make smarter decisions....
I wonder whether a few tweaks lift us up by 4-5 goals which changes the entire equation, or whether the narrow-ish margins flatter us.

I am very glad we're doing the review immediately.
I am terrified that a few more wins in the second half of the year hides some/all of our deficiencies. And I believe the rest of the year will be easier b/c we play more of the teams outside the 8 and also b/c the pressure to make finals has been released...
Don't get me wrong - I want the wins! I just also want us to remain clear eyed about our weaknesses and strengths so we make very good decisions arising out of the review.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:15 pm 
Wayne Johnston

You don’t do a review then punt the property steward’: Why big change is afoot at Carlton

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/you ... 581a5.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:19 pm 
Robert Walls

From a recent Age article regarding Melbourne's resurgence, specifically about the discussions the players had among themselves between seasons:

Quote:
The leaders talked of selfishness. It was selfishness in varied forms. For some it was the selfishness of the player who wanted to get his 35 touches and was less worried how the team goes. Some players admitted they had been guilty of that.

There was also the idea that when things were desperate, when they needed leaders in games, players would try to pull on the cape and be Superman to save the day, playing outside the role they had to try and win the game off their own boot. It was understandable, admirable and counter-productive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

BlueJean wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

And I have also seen enough , I don’t know a Carlton. Supporter that trusts Teague with this team anymore

Pease remind me , season on the line against the eagles ?? Intensity ziltch !! Against the crows last year who were on the bottom. And no hopers ( who above us now ) intensity ziltch !!

There are more examples but I don’t want to upset myself

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:05 am 
Harry Vallence

azzablue wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

And I have also seen enough , I don’t know a Carlton. Supporter that trusts Teague with this team anymore

Pease remind me , season on the line against the eagles ?? Intensity ziltch !! Against the crows last year who were on the bottom. And no hopers ( who above us now ) intensity ziltch !!

I am hopeless when I watch them play, I am too emotionally invested to see the game. This is why I watch every game twice the second time is much clearer when the emotions are subdued. I see that there are long periods in the game where we are organised and look competitive and parts of the game where we look very dangerous. But in EVERY game I wait for the fadeouts and complete breakdown of the defensive system in red time and in last quarters.

Agree completely with the assessment, just not with who is to blame.

If this team requires the coach to rev them up each game to play with the intensity required at AFL, then we have the wrong leadership group. Effort can ONLY come from one person - the PLAYER, Teague can't run for them, can't tackle for them etc.

This is why the club cannot sack the coach, if we do as we have done for the last 20 years, then the players will escape the accountability that we need from them if we are ever to become a good side.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:40 am 
Rod Ashman

azzablue wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Now you know one. I want Teague to stay and finish his contract. I believe he has not had a good opportunity under the current restricted circumstances and provided communication with the players is up to scratch he should stay. The review should identify areas of weakness and the club can put in place actions to deal with those and that includes whether Lloyd and Liddell are performing their roles as well as they should.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

carntheblues wrote:
Now you know one. I want Teague to stay and finish his contract. I believe he has not had a good opportunity under the current restricted circumstances and provided communication with the players is up to scratch he should stay. The review should identify areas of weakness and the club can put in place actions to deal with those and that includes whether Lloyd and Liddell are performing their roles as well as they should.

I agree and I'm happy for him to stay if he learns and implements. At the moment, we are too easy to play against strategically.
I posted recently that the coaches and players had a review about us giving up scores in blocks. Teagues answer was to keep attacking instead of changing tempo. If he doesn't understand now that we require defensive actions when the opposition get a run on, I have serious doubts about his ability to coach. It's time to change now. Strategy and philosophy.
If he cant do that, @#$%&! him off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:43 am 
John James

buzzaaaah wrote:
It's a review of the football department.
So, it's not a conflict of interest.

I would love to know why Teague seems to be growing in stature as a coach since the review has been announced.
He's gone from "in trouble" to "safe but needs help" without a game being played.
If Covid delays the next few weeks fixture, he'll become Ron Barassi

Haha. I think the club is trying to not look like Richmond in the 90s which is probably a food thing. It goes deeper than Teague and remains to be seen if he’s the head coach to turn it around. The teams improved but there’s something disturbing about the lack of organisation and intensity for large slabs of time in every game. We all know it, we all talk about it all the time but what’s it a symptom of. Who can diagnose the malady and prescribe the medicine and lifestyle changes required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:35 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
carntheblues wrote:

I agree and I'm happy for him to stay if he learns and implements. At the moment, we are too easy to play against strategically.
I posted recently that the coaches and players had a review about us giving up scores in blocks. Teagues answer was to keep attacking instead of changing tempo. If he doesn't understand now that we require defensive actions when the opposition get a run on, I have serious doubts about his ability to coach. It's time to change now. Strategy and philosophy.

Sorry I missed that post, but how do you know that was exactly what happened? Post match he always talks about getting better defensively.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:56 am 
Harry Vallence

diesel95 wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:
It's a review of the football department.
So, it's not a conflict of interest.

I would love to know why Teague seems to be growing in stature as a coach since the review has been announced.
He's gone from "in trouble" to "safe but needs help" without a game being played.
If Covid delays the next few weeks fixture, he'll become Ron Barassi

Haha. I think the club is trying to not look like Richmond in the 90s which is probably a food thing. It goes deeper than Teague and remains to be seen if he’s the head coach to turn it around. The teams improved but there’s something disturbing about the lack of organisation and intensity for large slabs of time in every game. We all know it, we all talk about it all the time but what’s it a symptom of. Who can diagnose the malady and prescribe the medicine and lifestyle changes required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you are constantly losing for 20 years, it goes beyond senior coach and game plan.

An established losing culture has embedded itself within this club.

It affects everything including standards, belief, player development and cohesive game systems.

Need to break this cycle. This tends to happen when you have strong leadership where standards and expectations rise. Otherwise, you are simply going through the motions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

carntheblues wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
carntheblues wrote:

Sorry I missed that post, but how do you know that was exactly what happened? Post match he always talks about getting better defensively.

I listened to one of the players saying it in a media interview.
Teague told them they went back into their shells when they should have kept playing attacking football.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Yep heard it too most pre season. Reading between the lines between Teague and player interviews his philosophy to stem the bleeding is to make sure we get one against the run of play and that’ll stop the run on.

Maybe he’s in the wrong profession. Should’ve been a duelist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 174  Next