Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 8:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:36 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 15331
Location: Bondi Beach
17th Premiership wrote:
Walsh wrote:
MLG done a great job under trying circumstances - taking over from Sticks and Swann that made the place a long term on-field mess.

Deserves a gold watch for his service to the club. I can only say thank you to him and hope Luke continues the good work and positive strides the club has made in recent years.


Wrong club - Christine Holgate is at Collingwood :-).

I'm happy with this change b/c a) someone prepared to give up the role voluntarily is a good person to have led the club and b) many people have wanted Sayers to take the reigns for a while now. Hopefully now he has the time and the decks have been sufficiently cleared to enable him to do a good job.

Similar to our on-field personnel, I suspect a bit more change still required at Board level but we are on our way.


We knew last year he was going to finish his Presidency end of 2021, after 8 years as Presdient. 8 year reign for President is written in our Constitution.

Sayers was always part of the plan.

There's some serious money being invested in Carlton and its Facilities over the next 5 years. Sayers is the right man for the job.

Sayer is an Order of Australia.

Carlton are heading into an era of sustained success, whether Robbo, Whateley, Cornes and King like it or not, and Sayer is a good media performer, and highly respected. he's no fool.

The next phase of Carlton's history is going to be amazing for some, expected and planned for others.

BLUEBAGGERS

_________________
Lets stick together. Don't believe everything Robinson, Landsberger and Cornes say about Carlton. Shock jocks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:58 pm 
Offline
Robert Walls
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:51 am
Posts: 3372
Location: lygon street
Well said Bondi and others. Thank you for your time MLG. Leaves the place significantly better than when he started. Sounds like we have a good one in Sayers

_________________
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:36 am
Posts: 4885
Nobody has been as critical of the board than me. It’s where the problems start in terms of onfield success.
It’s a thankless job mind you being a President. The club is out of debt which is great and like the academy stuff so he was a better President than Sticks although that wouldn’t be hard.

However he is a Mathieson clone. He also to some degree lives in that “Carlton bubble”which essentially is the problem that the club still has.
The first thing I want to see is Jeanie Pratt and Craig Mathieson gone from the club. They are relics and have had their time. Their presence holds us back.
The President also appointed a mate SOS a Carlton legend which was a big mistake that finally people are acknowledging.
Again an example of “ The Carlton bubble” and that success or failure starts at the top.
And to be on any board of any company for 5 years is too long let alone 12.

I don’t know if Sayers is in that bubble either. We will find out. I don’t like the fact that members can’t vote Presidents in or positions on the board directly.That’s wrong and hypocritical given the spin from the club about how we should respect our fans blah blah blah.

As far as Sayers honors and stuff. I couldn’t give a shit about that.
Peter Garrett is a classified natural treasure with humanitarian awards coming out of his arse. He is the biggest hypocritical, pretentious flower you could ever meet.

I just want Sayers to steer the ship in a more global, non Carlton successful onfield direction.
We need a Peggy O’ Neal, Frank Costa person at the helm.
Plenty of life experience but not old thinking set in their ways.
The second part of the equation is often missing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:01 pm 
Offline
Robert Walls

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:04 pm
Posts: 3638
Location: Bendigo
Is the board still structured as it is listed on the website?

Mathieson - Northern Blues & List Management
Judd - Football & List Management

Some corners of the website can be forgotten over time. For all I know, these two are no longer on the board. Still.... maybe the new bloke might do away with the board's involvement in list management.... just a thought.

_________________
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:09 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:36 am
Posts: 4885
From my understanding Judd is on the board with Football Director Portfolio.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:15 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Posts: 1143
I have been happy with MLG's presidency. We are a better club now then when he took over and I think that is all we can ask. I am also happy the Sayers as the new Pres. Now let's win this week. GO BLUES!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:26 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 15331
Location: Bondi Beach
keogh wrote:
Nobody has been as critical of the board than me. It’s where the problems start in terms of onfield success.
It’s a thankless mind you being a President. The club is out of debt which is great and like the academy stuff so he was a better President than Sticks although that wouldn’t be hard.

However he is a Mathieson clone. He also to some degree live in that Carlton bubble which essentially is the problem that the club still has.
The first thing I want to see is Jeanie Pratt and Craig Mathieson gone from the club. They are relics and have had their time. The presence holds us back.
The President also appointed a mate SOS a Carlton legend which was a big mistake that finally people are acknowledging.
Again an example of “ The Carlton bubble” and that success or failure starts at the top.

I don’t know if Sayers is in that bubble either. We will find out. I don’t like the fact that members can’t vote Presidents in. That’s wrong and hypocritical given the spin from the club about how we should respect our fans blah blah blah.

As far as Sayers honors and stuff. I couldn’t give a shit about that.
Peter Garrett is classified natural treasure with humanitarian awards coming out of his arse. He is the biggest hypocritical, pretentious flower you could ever meet.

I just want Sayers to steer the ship in a more global, non Carlton successful onfield direction.
We need a Peggy O’ Neal, Frank Costa person at the helm.
Plenty of life experience but old thinking set in their ways.
The second part of the equation is often missing.


I know a few bits you don't keogh, and I was hoping you'd show some respect for MLG's success, in a difficult job, in an environment you declare the "Carlton Bubble". He's done good things even you could list whilst you feel adverse to trusting anyone at Carlton given the last 20 years.

I like your line of questioning, and I see parallels with the great Don Chipp's motto to "Keep the Bastards Honest", but I also know how inaccurate you are making sensationalist accusations which are unfounded, but some that are. Sometimes I see a hint of jealousy, envy, I don't know, but maybe you always wanted to be a leader of the club, such is your love of our club, maybe because you have leadership qualities but haven't been discovered. There you go, I'm sounding like you, second guessing, drawing lines of connection. Hey, that's life. Just have to be able to know Fact from Fiction.

Like you I was an ex teacher in my early 20's, but get this right, I didn't apply for the job, because I had a business at the time. Funny story. Like you, as a teacher, I experienced the bureaucracy that hinders good governance and good education, and I see 'some' of those "us vs them" qualities expressed in what I would consider pure vitriol, without foundation at times. You draw lines of connections when sometimes they are just pure coincidence. Doesn't matter.

MLG is an innocent applicant. Everyone is innocent till proven guilty, and he's innocent. Right place Right time. A candidate everyone could agree to at a time where the proverbial hit the fan and we were rock bottom where factions knew better. He is Educated. You don't need to know more than that, other than he innocently landed the gig because he is not connected to the factions, and that's pretty obvious because, he wouldn't be there if he was. They wouldn't have it! Agree? Believable?

Mathieson and Pratt these days are benefactors, rusted supporters of Carlton, like you and I with a love and devotion of something precious to them and their loved ones for a long time. The old era when they were young and frisky in the 80's and 90's are gone. They take the backstage thse days. Figureheads. mentors. They do not interfere, they offer. High achievers can be a pain in the arse, in your face, dorky, but you need them in life. I am nothing like that. I'm lazy and take the easy way out and I still like to party, hard, despite entering my 60's. I'm not grey yet. Weird...and still connected to the music industry...we have a lot in common. But I appreciate what high achievers do for our club, not don't do like me and you. They all want the best for Carlton. Sometimes they stuff up. They are human too.

The appointment of SOS wasn't MLG. Silvagni had industry cred from stints at saints and GWS. He was privy to a lot including to the high end of town: the AFL Commissioners because of GWS. He divorced Carlton end 2002. MLG was the one who could get him back because he didn't belong to any of the "Carlton Bubble" you refer to and still think it exists. He was respected by SOS and SOS backed him by coming back to the mother ship to lend us a hand. He was appointed to perform a very difficult job with a poker face, like only he could do, and he did.

People make mistakes.

There are a lot of influential people in football clubs; its normal, but hardly any of them get to lead. These days, with Carlton in Business the biggest Network in Australia, collectively its bigger than Mathieson or Pratt. That era of the "Carlton Bubble" is in the past. Because of your age, and mine, it still feels like yesterday. ie front of mind. Carlton is a different club to the one you envision. Its a juggernaut and its about to take off.

There is change happening at Carlton, but change is slow, and planned succession and successful smooth transition requires an orderly approach. The flipside is a coup. That's too disruptive and not likely to last in the new world run by a different generation.

The SOS appointment was mot a mistake, but mistakes happened. Its easy to say that in hindsight. The respectful thing for all of us to do now is to let the likes of Dow, Stocker, Cuningham, DeKoning, Philp, Kemp etc find their feet as they mature, because they haven't peaked at 21yo, and some take longer, and the Gov's and Austin's boys Saad and Williams let them get fit and show some pride in performance before we make final judgement on their careers. Ditto Teague, but he's the now, he's the game plan, he's the selector, so he's got the toughest gig. He has to get tougher or else.

Point is, Carlton will always be a target by the jealous individuals in the media: those that fear us poaching players from their teams, those with long memories of our arrogance and success, and those who have lost a lot of money betting on the Blues this year, and other reasons. We have to stay the course and recruiting is a continuous process. Injuries have curtailed our momentum, including to Saad and Williams, but they will all align themselves to do what they have to do to achieve the end goal, as we expect, as we get players back from injury, and we will get a better game plan suited to the personnel we have or Teague knows what's next.

This new man Luke Sayers is not a "Carlton Bubble" man. He is the successor who will give us the credibility we finally need to get this show on the road. He's a good communicator, very very smart, inclusive, ex CEO of PWC, so he knows governance back to front, and respected by our foes in the AFL Commission. He's a high end corporate who knows what it takes to succeed and by no means needs the financial support of Mathieson and Pratt for him to find money, IF needed. MLG has given us, and Sayers, a debt free business with great cash flow (and you just have to look at our ladder positons over the last 5 years) to know this is the springboard for great things for our club.

You better believe it. Its real. We are Carlton free and strong, and we will succeed no matter what our foes in the media are saying, or our fairweathered supporters and opponents. We've been an institution in Australia since 1864. We are the pioneers of VFA, VFL and AFL. We stand for a lot, despite todays headlines.

Get onboard. No need to jump at shadows any more. This is the new Carlton. Advance Australia Fair.

BLUEBAGGERS

_________________
Lets stick together. Don't believe everything Robinson, Landsberger and Cornes say about Carlton. Shock jocks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:27 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 15331
Location: Bondi Beach
Crusader wrote:
Is the board still structured as it is listed on the website?

Mathieson - Northern Blues & List Management
Judd - Football & List Management

Some corners of the website can be forgotten over time. For all I know, these two are no longer on the board. Still.... maybe the new bloke might do away with the board's involvement in list management.... just a thought.


That's all it is.

_________________
Lets stick together. Don't believe everything Robinson, Landsberger and Cornes say about Carlton. Shock jocks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:28 pm 
Offline
Robert Walls

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:04 pm
Posts: 3638
Location: Bendigo
keogh wrote:
From my understanding Judd is on the board with Football Director Portfolio.

Great leader on the field... pretty ordinary captain.

Hard to sack though. He's got all the hallmarks of a guy that would walk the corridors with a nuclear deterrent.

_________________
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:03 pm 
Offline
Alex Jesaulenko
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 22602
Location: Kaloyasena
In any case I’m hearing a former Premiership Captain and high profile corporate flier is circling for a Board Challenge.

A shake up is needed from top to bottom.


:thumbsup:

_________________
"Hence you will not say that Greeks fight like heroes but that heroes fight like Greeks"?

Winston Churchill


Message to “you know who you are” - my name is not Chris or Carrot and I’ve been happily married for 31 years and still going strong.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:15 pm 
Offline
Harry Vallence

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 1492
Quote:
Carlton are heading into an era of sustained success, whether Robbo, Whateley, Cornes and King like it or not, and Sayer is a good media performer, and highly respected. he's no fool.


These four are all a bit different IMO:
I've got a lot of time for Cornes - he calls it as he sees it; calls out our BS and spin, and calls for us to harden up and stop making excuses. I think most - not all but most - of his criticism is fair, even if I don't 100% agree all the time.
Whateley also not too bad, he just tends to miss things sometimes in his bid to wrap up his observations into a neat narrative which rarely exists. So, ultimately, not bad, but often wrong.
I feel like Robbo mostly repeats the last thing he heard from some insider (usually from a club that isn't Carlton) and he likes to stir the pot but I feel he does this far more speculatively than a Sheehan or Caro ever would do (they usually have good and multiple sources, even if we may not like what they are saying).
And King? Well, how often does he draw an overarching conclusion from a single piece of play that is contradicted by all other evidence and often he even contradicts himself in subsequent sentences.
But I think we could do worse than at least examine what Cornes points in our direction....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:39 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 15331
Location: Bondi Beach
17th Premiership wrote:
Quote:
Carlton are heading into an era of sustained success, whether Robbo, Whateley, Cornes and King like it or not, and Sayer is a good media performer, and highly respected. he's no fool.


These four are all a bit different IMO:
I've got a lot of time for Cornes - he calls it as he sees it; calls out our BS and spin, and calls for us to harden up and stop making excuses. I think most - not all but most - of his criticism is fair, even if I don't 100% agree all the time.
Whateley also not too bad, he just tends to miss things sometimes in his bid to wrap up his observations into a neat narrative which rarely exists. So, ultimately, not bad, but often wrong.
I feel like Robbo mostly repeats the last thing he heard from some insider (usually from a club that isn't Carlton) and he likes to stir the pot but I feel he does this far more speculatively than a Sheehan or Caro ever would do (they usually have good and multiple sources, even if we may not like what they are saying).
And King? Well, how often does he draw an overarching conclusion from a single piece of play that is contradicted by all other evidence and often he even contradicts himself in subsequent sentences.
But I think we could do worse than at least examine what Cornes points in our direction....


Don't get me started 17th

Ive already explained what and why these flower say.

But the obvious problems, without going into the anti carlton bias, is they all take things our of context to create a headline to generate clicks and to draw attention.

All helplessly bias....and there's a common thread amongst them, and it isn't intelligence. Whateley acts smart and a hypocrite

_________________
Lets stick together. Don't believe everything Robinson, Landsberger and Cornes say about Carlton. Shock jocks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:55 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:36 am
Posts: 4885
Bondi Blue
I respect your passion but disagree on a few things
SOS didn’t have the runs on the board as a List Manager. He was given the easiest job in List Management history at GWS. Remember all the picks he had in the first 2 years. He was appointed in 2015 at Carlton. There was plenty of time to see how those picks went. He got plenty wrong more than most good List Managers and we are paying the price for it now.

I am against any job given to them because their a relative of the boss or in this case a legend of Carlton with the most famous name at Carlton.
And there is no doubting that it has backfired on many fronts given SOS’s nature of departure and tipping the bucket on the club on live radio to a turd like Tim Watson.


The board appointed him. They got it wrong .
LoGuidice as I acknowledged before has done some good things for this club but the SOS appointment is another example of that Carlton bubble I talk about

As for Pratt and Mathieson from my understanding they are still on the board. If as you say they have scaled back their duties why are they still there? Wouldn’t be better to get some new blood in there.

Have a look at some of the people who have been employed at the club in important roles at the club
McKay
Sticks
SOS
All have failed
Don’t you get it
You get the best there is
Not have an inbreeding process


Now we have Judd as director of footy
He would have signed off agreed to or however you want to say it the
McGovern Setterfield Williams Saad Fogarty trade deals

Judd to me comes across as a yes man. Because of his name his intelligence his footy past he can do no wrong
Maybe despite who he is and his past he hasn’t a clue about building a successful team in the 21st century.
I mentioned Peter Garrett before. He has a reputation for being “such a good bloke”. Nothing could be further from the truth if you dig real deep.


And The President whoever he is is meant to as his title suggests presides over the operations and make sure the organization stays ahead of the curve.

As you said before in one of your previous posts a few months ago if we finish in a similar position to last year in 2021 then we need to start again from the ground up
The board has set up a K.P.I ( I hate those 3 letters together) of a flag in 2023. So unrealistic. It shows how out of touch the board is.
Remember the Blue Print mantra a few years ago. Laughable.

I agree the place has changed a bit for the better but change can be quicker particularly when decision makers know it
Liddle knows it
I’m not sure some others do


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:09 pm
Posts: 4353
AGRO wrote:
In any case I’m hearing a former Premiership Captain and high profile corporate flier is circling for a Board Challenge.

A shake up is needed from top to bottom.


:thumbsup:


Sticks? :yikes:

_________________
Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:12 pm
Posts: 4175
AGRO wrote:
In any case I’m hearing a former Premiership Captain and high profile corporate flier is circling for a Board Challenge.

A shake up is needed from top to bottom.


:thumbsup:

Is that the Fitzy rumour ?

_________________
"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:52 pm 
Offline
Rod Ashman

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:09 pm
Posts: 2175
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
AGRO wrote:
In any case I’m hearing a former Premiership Captain and high profile corporate flier is circling for a Board Challenge.

A shake up is needed from top to bottom.


:thumbsup:

Is that the Fitzy rumour ?

Mark McLure?

_________________
Just throwing it out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:48 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:09 pm
Posts: 4353
jezzarules wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
AGRO wrote:
In any case I’m hearing a former Premiership Captain and high profile corporate flier is circling for a Board Challenge.

A shake up is needed from top to bottom.


:thumbsup:

Is that the Fitzy rumour ?

Mark McLure?

Sellers was not a premiership captain.

_________________
Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:55 pm 
Offline
formerly Yazzamatazz
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:16 pm
Posts: 7097
Location: NowHere.....
Apparently Fitzy.

Personally I'd be surprised, and delighted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

_________________
Circumstance has no value. It is how one relates to a situation that has value. All true meaning resides in the personal relationship to a phenomenon, what it means to you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:10 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am
Posts: 15331
Location: Bondi Beach
Lace Out wrote:
Apparently Fitzy.

Personally I'd be surprised, and delighted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk


They've been trying to engage Fitzy for decades.
Was close a few years back.

Jimmae can shed more light on that.
I'm serious.

The place is a better place now so I guess its more attractive.
I don't think there's a board spill. More a case of natural succession.
Change is inevitable

Whilst jimmae had and still has his flaws like all of us, he was good with some info and ideas.

_________________
Lets stick together. Don't believe everything Robinson, Landsberger and Cornes say about Carlton. Shock jocks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:55 pm 
Offline
Robert Walls
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 3528
Like your style Bondi...........Well said................all i know from very reliable sources is that Marco LoGo was a worker.An extremely hard worker who would roll up his his sleeves and do anything and everything if need be.They say if the cleaning lady took a sickie Marco was more than happy to grab the mop and clean the shithouse.He was not a job snob.Regardless of the nature of the job if it had to be done it had to be done.Sounds every bit the sort of bloke i like..........a sorta shut the faaark up and get on with itA real worker................................so,thanks from me Marco for taking on a thankless task.Thanks for putting your back to the wheel.Thanks for the heavy lifting.You are entitled to feel very proud of your massive contribution to our great club.

Regards and best wishes .Mick.

The Carlton Football Club...........Now Always Forever.

_________________
All my dangerous friends


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blueblood, DesEnglish, diesel_85, harker and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group