Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 174  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AIRCAV wrote:
It does beg the question. Do we have no controls in place to stop it going off the rails? If the review finds serious issues, then it begs the question, what is Head of Football and all the other managers doing if they aren't aware of these issues?

It means a lot of people are asleep at the wheel.

Exactly.

And they will be exposed.

Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.
Maybe some Directors will be found interfering the Football Dept, and those in it couldn't do their jobs properly.
Undermining? Ignoring advice, recommendations, incidents....

...all to be revealed...I guess it will be done privately by independent reviewers. Hope they aren't accountants, and they are real football people who know a thing or two about running a successful Football Dept.

We are out of debt to the AFL and we can make our own bed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
It will be very interesting to see how Andrew Russell emerges from the review

YEP.

They are looking at fitness.

Fitness of a team who can't run out games, can't tackle, can't block, can't shepherd and can't comminicate verbally whilst playing.

I want the truth.

IMO, he has failed miserably AND I think he WAS found to be bullshitting about the fitness level of our players after the amazing 2020 preseason.
He also said the all players came back in top shape to resume preseason after Christmas.

Yeah right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
How do we know he supported all of those decisions, or how many (such as the McGovern, Williams and Martin contracts) even involved the Board at all?

Seek to understand before you're understood.

No one on TC or BF knows what he supported or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

I expect that Lloyd will be gone when this is over as part of a trifecta with MLG and Judd, as will most of the assistant coaches (except Power and perhaps O'Keefe). If they follow the obvious sentiment from supporters, Lloyd's replacement will be someone known for their ruthlessness, smarts and addiction to success. Essentially, the next Neal Balme.

Teague will be retained and be given the best possible support we can find him (and by 'best' I don't mean someone who's only coached for the Geelong Falcons or Northern Knights), packaged with an ultimatum that all excuses have been exhausted. Same goes for Power, given our history of horrid development.

High performance is a genuine mystery to me. Yes, Russell will be scrutinised in a big way, but like Teague he also has a team reporting to him who would manage the day to day with the players. I'd like this review to answer why Russell was an unbridled success until he came here, and how much impact his 'team' had in his success elsewhere and failure at Carlton. What won't be acceptable is "everything is hunky dory, we've just had bad luck".

I would also imagine our club psychologist will at least be interrogated about our mental deficiencies and conditional efforts.

List management may also get a shake up, with the last remnants of the SOS regime (Agresta, Brodie) stripped away. I'd also like Austin to be given a mandate to not let himself be [REDACTED] over like he was last trade period, and let others in the club worry about 'the brand'. If a 'name' player is asking for too much money, don't pursue him, and when the Dodoros of the world ask for too much, be prepared to walk away. I would also imagine that he'll be questioned about why he didn't draft any KPD or ruck replacements after giving so many the boot, and why we let our contract talks drag out for months in the media.

Communications may also get a rocket, with the 'disconnection' between club messaging and supporter sentiment. Supporters frankly don't give a @#$%&! right now about 'the hardest hits of the week', how good Eddie's latest arsey goal was, or that Charlie's a week closer (no shit). It's ok for the club to show that they're made up of human beings who feel what we feel, and not just soundbytes from the 'slogantron 3000'. I remember early in the year after Norf got flogged one week and their tweet was to the effect of "We're hurting too", which I'm sure did little to make their supporters feel better but at least didn't patronise them.

As for the players, it's hard to say how much they'll be affected directly (sans the changes above them). I only hope that there's enough of a cultural shift that any complacency, selfishness or effort that is less than 100% will no longer be tolerated. If you're not here to play in the next Carlton premiership, there's the door.

(I'd also be shocked if any changes to the board or how they're 'voted in' will change, but a guy can hope).

Top-down, I would expect a recommendation that our 'nice-guy' image be at least diluted.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
How do we know he supported all of those decisions, or how many (such as the McGovern, Williams and Martin contracts) even involved the Board at all?

Seek to understand before you're understood.

No one on TC or BF knows what he supported or not.

Exactly my point, and why we need an extensive and transparent review.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:26 pm 
Banned

Midfield is a shambles - until we get top end talent in there can forget about top four any time soon.

Its the missing piece...and most important part of the ground. Can not do anything without an engine room and needs to be fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:44 pm 
formerly Fevola

Walsh I agree. We have skimped on the midfield for years now. When we recruit midfielders ie Dow, Stocker, SPS, Setterfield, Fogarty, Gibbons, Fisher, Martin. We chuck them in the backline or forward line.

Its the most important position on the ground. We need good 2 way midfielders and being strong in there, helps the backline out.

Any backline no matter how good wont be able to deal with the amount of ball we allow in there every week due to our mids not being strong or winning the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Donstuie wrote:

Communications may also get a rocket, with the 'disconnection' between club messaging and supporter sentiment. Supporters frankly don't give a @#$%&! right now about 'the hardest hits of the week', how good Eddie's latest arsey goal was, or that Charlie's a week closer (no shit). It's ok for the club to show that they're made up of human beings who feel what we feel, and not just soundbytes from the 'slogantron 3000'. I remember early in the year after Norf got flogged one week and their tweet was to the effect of "We're hurting too", which I'm sure did little to make their supporters feel better but at least didn't patronise them.

Bit of an aside. But in the NRL the Dogs had, like a three week run where they did not score a point. And they had a weekly poll on their socials where you would vote for the 'xx Heating & Cooling's Hot Hot Play of the Week'. And it was like, a bomb that the other team dropped, or a 50 metre drop-out or some shit. Grim as - but very funny if you're looking on and not a supporter of the team.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:11 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Wonder if Ockham's Razor has any mail :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
It will be very interesting to see how Andrew Russell emerges from the review

especially a fist dinkum one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
Midfield is a shambles - until we get top end talent in there can forget about top four any time soon.

Its the missing piece...and most important part of the ground. Can not do anything without an engine room and needs to be fixed.

I think that's true too.
IMHO I don't think Cripps is the future if he can't speed up those legs; ditto Kennedy. Slow players are liabilities.

Other than the unproven Kemp, Dow and Stocker, I don't think the other mids are going to make the effort to improve their intensity and urgency.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://twitter.com/RileyBev/status/1402148117252825088

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

I hope part of the external review involves someone at the Club reading all the posts on TC :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I can never quite get my heads around the management of football teams. All these board members are successful buisness people yet put them in a football club and they take off their heads and put on a pumpkin.

Why annouce a review.
Why give this to pooper scooper to break the story.

If they were on the stock market the shares would have plummeted today.

Why not conduct the review analyses the outcomes take action and then announce it.

Who airs their dirty laundry in public particularly a public that is football where every single thing is picked apart by headline grabbing media people.

I suspect the only outcome will be Barker go , Murphy retire , Cripps hands over the captaincy. I will be surprised if it is anything more.

This sounds and smells like Liddle marketing stunt to try hang onto those members.

Hopefully I am wrong but it seems bizarre to me

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

Why not use question marks? :smoking:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Who are our off field leaders?
Who are our on field leaders?
On which we can build a champion culture?

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

CFC8795 wrote:
I hope part of the external review involves someone at the Club reading all the posts on TC :thumbsup:

It would make for some very entertaining reading if nothing else.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

CFC8795 wrote:
Why not use question marks? :smoking:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 pm 
Geoff Southby

Here Is a question
Why have a review when the board escapes scrutiny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

IS PAV FINALLY COMING???? :eek:

barass70 wrote:
Stephen Gough,Geoff Walsh and Pavlich in the mix ..

#GUILTY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 174  Next