Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 174  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
CK95 wrote:
It will be very interesting to see how Andrew Russell emerges from the review

I just hope that if the report (assuming its brutally honest and sans agendas) finds that people like Russell deserve to stay, the supporters don't have a hissy fit over it and accept their findings.

I think there is a disconnect with chains of command and specific roles of what everyone should be doing off the field and the confusion has translated on field.

That may mean we need some proper leadership of a football department to keep everyone on the same page with the same overall direction, because at the moment it seems a confused mess.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
I expect that Lloyd will be gone when this is over as part of a trifecta with MLG and Judd, as will most of the assistant coaches (except Power and perhaps O'Keefe). If they follow the obvious sentiment from supporters, Lloyd's replacement will be someone known for their ruthlessness, smarts and addiction to success. Essentially, the next Neal Balme.

Teague will be retained and be given the best possible support we can find him (and by 'best' I don't mean someone who's only coached for the Geelong Falcons or Northern Knights), packaged with an ultimatum that all excuses have been exhausted. Same goes for Power, given our history of horrid development.

High performance is a genuine mystery to me. Yes, Russell will be scrutinised in a big way, but like Teague he also has a team reporting to him who would manage the day to day with the players. I'd like this review to answer why Russell was an unbridled success until he came here, and how much impact his 'team' had in his success elsewhere and failure at Carlton. What won't be acceptable is "everything is hunky dory, we've just had bad luck".

I would also imagine our club psychologist will at least be interrogated about our mental deficiencies and conditional efforts.

List management may also get a shake up, with the last remnants of the SOS regime (Agresta, Brodie) stripped away. I'd also like Austin to be given a mandate to not let himself be [REDACTED] over like he was last trade period, and let others in the club worry about 'the brand'. If a 'name' player is asking for too much money, don't pursue him, and when the Dodoros of the world ask for too much, be prepared to walk away. I would also imagine that he'll be questioned about why he didn't draft any KPD or ruck replacements after giving so many the boot, and why we let our contract talks drag out for months in the media.

Communications may also get a rocket, with the 'disconnection' between club messaging and supporter sentiment. Supporters frankly don't give a @#$%&! right now about 'the hardest hits of the week', how good Eddie's latest arsey goal was, or that Charlie's a week closer (no shit). It's ok for the club to show that they're made up of human beings who feel what we feel, and not just soundbytes from the 'slogantron 3000'. I remember early in the year after Norf got flogged one week and their tweet was to the effect of "We're hurting too", which I'm sure did little to make their supporters feel better but at least didn't patronise them.

As for the players, it's hard to say how much they'll be affected directly (sans the changes above them). I only hope that there's enough of a cultural shift that any complacency, selfishness or effort that is less than 100% will no longer be tolerated. If you're not here to play in the next Carlton premiership, there's the door.

(I'd also be shocked if any changes to the board or how they're 'voted in' will change, but a guy can hope).

Top-down, I would expect a recommendation that our 'nice-guy' image be at least diluted.

It should mean something different for the players. Whatever regime we have going forward can’t have an environment where experienced guys just cruise, put in half assed efforts with no repercussions.

I like the fact we don’t just gift games to younger guys anymore but Teague has over corrected.

The Murphy situation is the worst example of this, got dropped, made sub, did nothing and recalled and was terrible again.

Guys like Doch, Cripps, Williams and Saad should be called out for providing sweet FA leadership by constantly being unaccountable and wanting to only play the game on their terms on leave the pesky defensive running to someone else.

As they said On The Couch if this leads to some sort of player revolt, what does it really matter? Just say to guys like Walsh, Weitering and Harry it’s their club now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

79Vintage wrote:
Who are our off field leaders?
Who are our on field leaders?
On which we can build a champion culture?

Off field? Not sure anyone

On field? Walsh and Weiters, but no co captains this time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

Ooooooh boy - here come the buzzards.

Quote:
The Carlton board is facing another challenge from an investment fund manager who has called for a review of the club board’s performance and urged Carlton members to assist him in “taking back control of our club”.

Former Softball Australia chairman John Hollingsworth, who stood unsuccessfully for election to the Carlton board twice, has confirmed that he will challenge the Blues’ board at the end of this season, while calling on incoming president Luke Sayers to do a “full overhaul” of the board that he says has failed for two decades.

His call follows the revelation that Carlton will conduct a full external review of the football department, and the resignation of long-serving assistant coach John Barker, who was forced to leave the Blues earlier than expected.

Hollingsworth also said he was aware of Carlton members who were calling for an extraordinary general meeting, which can spill all board positions. He said the club’s review of the football department was “not enough” and should extend to the board, which he feared would “scapegoat” the coaching staff.

“I’m aware of a number of members who are pushing for an EGM,″⁣ said Hollingsworth, who stood for election, without board backing, and fell short in elections held in 2020 and early this year. Under Carlton’s constitution, an EGM can be triggered by 100 signatures of eligible voting members.

“This board has presided over the last 10 years of on-field failure. A review of the current coaching staff is not enough. During the last 10 years there has been a revolving door of coaches and CEOs.

“I fear that the board will again look for scapegoats for the on-field failures among the coaching staff.

“Incoming president Luke Sayers is in his 10th year on the Carlton board. I again urge Luke to do a full overhaul starting with the Carlton board to address the failings of the board.

“The board needs to look in the mirror first. The board needs to set the standards for others to follow and over the past 20 years it has failed to do so. Only after a full overhaul of the board is completed can actions be taken to improve the culture of the club, its senior management and the football department.

“More and more Carlton members are rightly voicing their concerns. I am reminding Carlton members that they have the power to hire and fire the board. I will again stand for the Carlton board in August and I am urging Carlton members to join me in taking back control of our club.″

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:18 am 
Trevor Keogh

Quote:
Former Softball Australia chairman John Hollingsworth...″

Precisely what this playing group needs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 am 
Banned

wasthesonofapreacherman wrote:
Quote:

Why? He has been running a home office for over 10 years what makes one think he can make the jump up to leading a football club?

Not discounting the fact he is right - too many sackings and board needs to be accountable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Donstuie wrote:
Communications may also get a rocket, with the 'disconnection' between club messaging and supporter sentiment. Supporters frankly don't give a @#$%&! right now about 'the hardest hits of the week', how good Eddie's latest arsey goal was, or that Charlie's a week closer (no shit). It's ok for the club to show that they're made up of human beings who feel what we feel, and not just soundbytes from the 'slogantron 3000'. I remember early in the year after Norf got flogged one week and their tweet was to the effect of "We're hurting too", which I'm sure did little to make their supporters feel better but at least didn't patronise them.

For years posters whinged because the club didn't communicate with the members and when they do, we now don't give a @#$%&! about it. :lol:
Personally, I think our communication team have been excellent the past couple of years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:08 am 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
Ooooooh boy - here come the buzzards.

Quote:
The Carlton board is facing another challenge from an investment fund manager who has called for a review of the club board’s performance and urged Carlton members to assist him in “taking back control of our club”.

Former Softball Australia chairman John Hollingsworth, who stood unsuccessfully for election to the Carlton board twice, has confirmed that he will challenge the Blues’ board at the end of this season, while calling on incoming president Luke Sayers to do a “full overhaul” of the board that he says has failed for two decades.

His call follows the revelation that Carlton will conduct a full external review of the football department, and the resignation of long-serving assistant coach John Barker, who was forced to leave the Blues earlier than expected.

Hollingsworth also said he was aware of Carlton members who were calling for an extraordinary general meeting, which can spill all board positions. He said the club’s review of the football department was “not enough” and should extend to the board, which he feared would “scapegoat” the coaching staff.

“I’m aware of a number of members who are pushing for an EGM,″⁣ said Hollingsworth, who stood for election, without board backing, and fell short in elections held in 2020 and early this year. Under Carlton’s constitution, an EGM can be triggered by 100 signatures of eligible voting members.

“This board has presided over the last 10 years of on-field failure. A review of the current coaching staff is not enough. During the last 10 years there has been a revolving door of coaches and CEOs.

“I fear that the board will again look for scapegoats for the on-field failures among the coaching staff.

“Incoming president Luke Sayers is in his 10th year on the Carlton board. I again urge Luke to do a full overhaul starting with the Carlton board to address the failings of the board.

“The board needs to look in the mirror first. The board needs to set the standards for others to follow and over the past 20 years it has failed to do so. Only after a full overhaul of the board is completed can actions be taken to improve the culture of the club, its senior management and the football department.

“More and more Carlton members are rightly voicing their concerns. I am reminding Carlton members that they have the power to hire and fire the board. I will again stand for the Carlton board in August and I am urging Carlton members to join me in taking back control of our club.″

Let’s hope there is change at the very least

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:30 am 
Harry Vallence

Walsh wrote:
wasthesonofapreacherman wrote:
Quote:

Why? He has been running a home office for over 10 years what makes one think he can make the jump up to leading a football club?

Not discounting the fact he is right - too many sackings and board needs to be accountable.

/woosh

Hint: Preacher is suggesting we need a former chairman of Hardball Australia instead... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 am 
Wayne Johnston

Carlton board facing fresh challenge

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blu ... 57z14.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:37 am 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

For years posters whinged because the club didn't communicate with the members and when they do, we now don't give a @#$%&! about it. :lol:
Personally, I think our communication team have been excellent the past couple of years.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:08 am 
Geoff Southby

Is this review more Carlton trickery or is it legit?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-news-2021-carlton-review-of-football-department-david-teague-contract-new-president-mark-logiudice/news-story/2c6e8981152478a9bd1e90ddab1ea20a

Quote:
Carlton president Mark LoGiudice insists an external review of his club’s football department is not a “a review of the coach”, stressing “there’s no panic” at the Blues.

But AFL 360 co-host Gerard Whateley believes LoGiudice’s support of Teague is “slightly counter-intuitive”.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:25 am 
John Nicholls

History would suggest that when a club president says the coach is safe, the knife is already half way in coaches spine :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:17 am 
Geoff Southby

robertbb wrote:
History would suggest that when a club president says the coach is safe, the knife is already half way in coaches spine :lol:

How many reviews has this club had.
Isn’t this just recycled behaviour
The board is ultimately responsible for how the club functions
Sacking coaches isn’t going solve anything
Chris Judd as people have noticed has hardly been mentioned this week
His portfolio on the board since 2017 has been List Managerand director of football

It was either his idea or he agreed to the idea to get Williams Saad Martin Mc Govern Setterfield
That costs salary cap space draft picks collectively and long term contracts
It don’t matter he is going
He needs to be made accountable in terms of what is best for the club

I have been saying for years that the board should be replaced . That may be a possibility.

They escape scrutiny time and time again when the shit hits the fan
It makes me laug
Sayers wants an external review yet he has been on a board for 8 years that has seen some of the dumb est footy decisions ever made

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sidefx wrote:
Is this review more Carlton trickery or is it legit?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-news-2021-carlton-review-of-football-department-david-teague-contract-new-president-mark-logiudice/news-story/2c6e8981152478a9bd1e90ddab1ea20a

Quote:
Carlton president Mark LoGiudice insists an external review of his club’s football department is not a “a review of the coach”, stressing “there’s no panic” at the Blues.

But AFL 360 co-host Gerard Whateley believes LoGiudice’s support of Teague is “slightly counter-intuitive”.

We really need to keep MLG away from media, and should've used this as the opportunity to introduce the footy public to his successor.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

Leigh Matthews makes a very, very good point in this article, re: club board members.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/08/ ... leppitsch/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
Leigh Matthews makes a very, very good point in this article, re: club board members.

So the Boys Club is the go, then?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Donstuie wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

If I've missed the point, I'm happy for you to point out where. As far I'm concerned, you've bagged the communications team and I've disagreed. There's no patronising from the comms team IMHO. Their role is to connect with the members as a whole. Nothing more

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

Scotty12000 wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

So the Boys Club is the go, then?

Bit sexists? Could be the girls club or persons club :razz: but yes, you need and should be a bagger.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

I agree

They have improved out of sight, yet I still want more.

After a win all those Highlights are great to rewatch, as do my kids.
Aftyer a loss, well, a few losses. everything seems black and wrong.

We are all hurting, but that shouldn't stop the club having Goal of the Day, Mark of the Day, Big Hits....I don't want to go to the Dark Ages and have our media channel focus just on the negativity. The other media outlets are in that domain. That's Black Dog stuff. We need all the cheering we can get.

I still watch the old GF's as well as some classic games, but its good to be reminded of what we have today. Its not all that bad, because things improve pretty quickly.

I don't mind if the club comes out to say we are hurting in addition to all the good stuff tho.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 174  Next