Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 174  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Walsh wrote:
MLG done a great job under trying circumstances - taking over from Sticks and Swann that made the place a long term on-field mess.

Deserves a gold watch for his service to the club. I can only say thank you to him and hope Luke continues the good work and positive strides the club has made in recent years.

Wrong club - Christine Holgate is at Collingwood :-).

I'm happy with this change b/c a) someone prepared to give up the role voluntarily is a good person to have led the club and b) many people have wanted Sayers to take the reigns for a while now. Hopefully now he has the time and the decks have been sufficiently cleared to enable him to do a good job.

Similar to our on-field personnel, I suspect a bit more change still required at Board level but we are on our way.

We knew last year he was going to finish his Presidency end of 2021, after 8 years as Presdient. 8 year reign for President is written in our Constitution.

Sayers was always part of the plan.

There's some serious money being invested in Carlton and its Facilities over the next 5 years. Sayers is the right man for the job.

Sayer is an Order of Australia.

Carlton are heading into an era of sustained success, whether Robbo, Whateley, Cornes and King like it or not, and Sayer is a good media performer, and highly respected. he's no fool.

The next phase of Carlton's history is going to be amazing for some, expected and planned for others.

BLUEBAGGERS

Thanks for that, I had no idea the 8 year reign was part of the club's constitution.
Listening to the news tonight it was said there was more upheaval at the club with MLG resigning.
Maybe some journo's should have checked the facts first.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Walsh wrote:
MLG done a great job under trying circumstances - taking over from Sticks and Swann that made the place a long term on-field mess.

Deserves a gold watch for his service to the club. I can only say thank you to him and hope Luke continues the good work and positive strides the club has made in recent years.

Wrong club - Christine Holgate is at Collingwood :-).

I'm happy with this change b/c a) someone prepared to give up the role voluntarily is a good person to have led the club and b) many people have wanted Sayers to take the reigns for a while now. Hopefully now he has the time and the decks have been sufficiently cleared to enable him to do a good job.

Similar to our on-field personnel, I suspect a bit more change still required at Board level but we are on our way.

We knew last year he was going to finish his Presidency end of 2021, after 8 years as Presdient. 8 year reign for President is written in our Constitution.

Sayers was always part of the plan.

There's some serious money being invested in Carlton and its Facilities over the next 5 years. Sayers is the right man for the job.

Sayer is an Order of Australia.

Carlton are heading into an era of sustained success, whether Robbo, Whateley, Cornes and King like it or not, and Sayer is a good media performer, and highly respected. he's no fool.

The next phase of Carlton's history is going to be amazing for some, expected and planned for others.

BLUEBAGGERS

Thanks for that, I had no idea the 8 year reign was part of the club's constitution.
Listening to the news tonight it was said there was more upheaval at the club with MLG resigning.
Maybe some journo's should have checked the facts first.

Do you really believe what the clowns have to say in the media circus?
They create headlines; that's their job.

Tell me which journo/ reporter in the media is impartial and gives balanced views on every footy topic?
Why should they? Footy fans believe everything they say or write anyway.

Australia's post war education system failed our nation.
Leaving Certificate/ Form 5 is all you needed in the 70's to become a teacher.
Since then the curriculum has fallen behind the developed world.
The journos/ reporters today reflect that.

They are not accountable.
They create click bait and sell papers.
You don't need to be smart, honest, diligent and articulate to do that.

What does that say about their audience?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:05 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
The above 2 posts from Blue Jean and Sinbaggers are plainly disrespectful by not acknowledging what MLG has achieved at our great club.

There is nothing you have said in your posts that tie MLG with anything he's done wrong for the club. Nothing.

I am old enough to know the 60's, 70's 80's 90's 00's 10's and feel comfort where the club is today, off field, and truly believe we are on the right track on field too.

I have known the appointment of Luke Sayers was going to take place for some time, as many have hoped over the years, this distinguished business leader would take the reigns one day, but I wasn't going to believe it till it happened.

We are blessed to have had MLG as President and blessed with his succession plan.

Have a look at the Elliot Presidential era post 1995 and try and remember what happened in 2002.
Ian Collins took the reigns, and was handing the keys to the club to the AFL, till a deal was struck to leave our home, Princes Park.
Smorgon's Presidency promised a lot with "Smorgiland" with his mates, but divided the club, and achieved nothing.
Reflect on the Kernahan Presidential era and you will see a man out of his depth but loved the club...nearly to death. He took on the role till he knew he was drowning.
The Pratt Presidential era gave us hope our once great club would not fold, and helped us build our elite facilities, and aimed to get the best, but died prematurely.

Think about the trepidation unconditional supporters felt when the club was in limbo post Pratt. Think about it.

Powerbrokers. Bottom of the ladder. In debt to the AFL. Under control of the AFL. Presidency is not an easy gig in one of the Big 4 clubs in Melbourne.

I like the fact that I belong to a club that was established in 1864, making it one year younger than the oldest clubs in the world; the 2 major Australian cities at the time, Melbourne and Geelong at a time paving the way to an era known by the term "Marvellous Melbourne". Carlton reflects those days, and has been a great club for 150 years, being the only Melbourne club never finished on the bottom of the ladder.

In 2002 Carlton hit rock bottom for the first time in its history. We were sold out by Ian Collins (AFL employee at the time, Dome CEO and new Carlton President) who was going to hand over the keys to the AFL. From that day, when Collins agreed to the AFL's terms, as our Creditor, we became an AFL puppet. We were propped up by the AFL with loans which forced our hand and made us bow to their every whim. We lost our independence, and with that our identity. The Commissioners at the time were led by the likes of Evans, Demetriou and Samuels who hated, and still hate Carlton (Evans from his grave).

MLG took on a role to mediate and bring the factions to work towards a common goal (every club has them), to get us out of a terrible mess. A mess many still don't understand.

Things take time to change, and for those who can't see change, are uninformed or ignorant. Leave the bitterness behind and appreciate where we are as a club. Be grateful.

Change is inevitable, including voting rights, which MLG addressed and acknowledged in his letter, as well as giving us an incredible new leader to take the over reigns, with a well orchestrated succession plan.

MLG has led our great club, from an antiquated state, stuck in the 80's, a play thing for the rich (with good intentions but questionable practises) into the modern age and positioned Carlton to flourish.

Every year 17 teams don't win the flag. Every year every year club's make mistakes. But you have to respect that MLG has not had an easy ride to bring us to where we are today. Bringing factions together. Yes together. No debt, Elite facilities, Women's team, etc etc, a progressive CEO, Great Directors, and you should know, the recent mistakes from those recently appointed, Austin, Silvagni, Judd etc will learn from those mistakes, and only make us stronger for them. We are identifying our gaps in this rebuild and its only round 6. To state a classic "Early Doors".

Congratulations and thank you MLG for you Presidency.

In all those decades I've been around I never saw a President walking around the ground, outside the exclusive enclave of the Members stand, willing to engage and embrace every and any Carlton supporter he met and make them feel as part of something special, just as he did: our Blue Brethren. I live in Sydney, and it was a breath of fresh air walking around the SCG, or Drummoyne Oval or Spotless Stadium with Sydney fans to be greeted, belly to belly, eye to eye, and chat to our President: the people's President. My kids will never forget that nor show disrespect for the man.

Sydney fans stated and displayed their appreciation for our People's President at the time. I wish some of our supporters showed the same gratitude.

Thanks MLG. You have left with the club in a better place than when you took the reigns as President. I hope somewhere on the new elite facilities features your name. Respect.

Welcome aboard Luke Sayers.

BLUEBAGGERS

I was responding to a questions about Sayers, nothing to do with MLG.

Nice post other than that cheap shot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Bondi Blue
I respect your passion but disagree on a few things. Thanks and vice versa

SOS didn’t have the runs on the board as a List Manager. He was given the easiest job in List Management history at GWS. Remember all the picks he had in the first 2 years. He was appointed in 2015 at Carlton. There was plenty of time to see how those picks went. He got plenty wrong more than most good List Managers and we are paying the price for it now.

At the time SOS was poached to Carlton, the industry perception SOS was great at his job. That's the reason he got the job at GWS, and the reason he got the job at Carlton. What's this plenty time business? We are NOW seeing the fruits of his labour, and most haven't ripened. He had more picks than any other List Manager in history. Of course he was going to get more wrong.

I am against any job given to them because their a relative of the boss or in this case a legend of Carlton with the most famous name at Carlton.
And there is no doubting that it has backfired on many fronts given SOS’s nature of departure and tipping the bucket on the club on live radio to a turd like Tim Watson.

Jobs for the boys, on one hand, and employing the best, on the other hand. I too went off SOS for his big foul ungracious mouth after he left. Lost me then.

The board appointed him. They got it wrong .

The jury is still out. Dow is 21yo, Obrien 21yo, Stocker 20yo, Philp 20yo, Kemp 20yo, Ramsay 20yo, Setterfield 22yo, Walsh 20yo, De Koning 21yo, SPS 23yo this year....nah mate, the jury is still out. You are being a snob. You want to be Judge Jury and Executioner. I don't buy this egotistical angle, not from you, not from anyone. Mud sticks. Not with me.

He gave us a spine

Weitering
DeKoning
Walsh
Curnow
McKay

We will judge him in 3-4 years time, maybe sooner.

LoGuidice as I acknowledged before has done some good things for this club but the SOS appointment is another example of that Carlton bubble I talk about

The jury is out. Its normal for the President to trust his Board. That's how the western world works Chairman Mao. If they failed him, THEY failed him.

As for Pratt and Mathieson from my understanding they are still on the board. If as you say they have scaled back their duties why are they still there? Wouldn’t be better to get some new blood in there.

Pratt and Mathieson are your recurring nightmare. They don't do much. They will not be there for much longer. They cannot veto a Board decision. The question you raise is of Good Governance. Carlton has improved that area. You are jumping at shadows, but I like the way you keep the bastards honest. I don't have to believe every word you say though as if its gospel.

Have a look at some of the people who have been employed at the club in important roles at the club
McKay
Sticks
SOS
All have failed

There's wins and losses. There's styles that some like that others dislike. They did their best. I appreciate that. They were moved on for better candidates. The wheels keep turning.

Don’t you get it

I get it. You can't polish a turd. carlton was a shit place to run, work in and play footy at.
Do you get we were NOT a destination club, and that has only turned in the last year

You get the best there is. You sound like Richard Pratt. He did his best to do that. See above

Not have an inbreeding process Trigg, moved on, Liddle looks the goods. SOS moved on. Austin looks the goods... and its there for everyone to see throughout our organisation....they are not all Carlton people. Most are not. Kerna is gone. He was the only one who would carry the baby.

Now we have Judd as director of footy He is respected. People admire him. He's smart and the image he portrays is a good one for our club. That's how I see it. The minrity is in the other corner. Perception is reality. But you can't tell me what Judd does every day at the club is bad. He holds court. People listen. He can work things out pretty quick. I trust him till a better candidate turns up.

I'm not going to say no to every Carltonian that puts his hand up. Cut my nose to spite my face. Mike Fitzpatrick, come on down, there's a spot for you and its been there for 2 decades.

He would have signed off agreed to or however you want to say it the
McGovern Setterfield Williams Saad Fogarty trade deals

And I thank him for that. All good candidates. We had a war chest to spend, and still do. You don't get how it works. Gov's contract expires soon. He hasn't done himself any favours. Ball is in his court as it is for every player. We still have a war chest to spend. That's smart operator if you asked me. You can only consider players who want to come to Carlton. More players who wanted to come to carlton were rejected than you know of. I don't have a problem with that. He trusted SOS' argument for and against. I'm sure he disagreed with SOS too. We will never know what goes on behind closed doors. You make out like you know everything. There's more to come. I can't wait to keep adding value to the list.

Judd to me comes across as a yes man. That's you opinion. That's all Because of his name his intelligence his footy past he can do no wrong in your eyes, not mine. I know he's human like me and nearly as smart as you.

Maybe despite who he is and his past he hasn’t a clue about building a successful team in the 21st century.

How do you know that? You doin't. You're being rude and slanderous. He's only just started.

I mentioned Peter Garrett before. He has a reputation for being “such a good bloke”. Nothing could be further from the truth if you dig real deep.

I hope you know what you're talking about.

Mate I did a tour with Peter Garret. Support band. Great guy. Smart. Good fun.
Made a huge impact as a Greens politician, but wanted to make a bigger impact and joined labour.
He got stuck in the politics wheel. I've been in politics too because my dad pushed me in. He had influence. That's when I realised what a bunch of desperate lying boring and uninspiring cheats most are and got out quickly. Garrett got thrown under the bus. He got out too. Now he's back doing what he's good at and can say what he likes. Do you know him or just creating some inuendo? PM me with the deep digging you've done, and I'll set you straight if need be.

And The President whoever he is is meant to as his title suggests presides over the operations and make sure the organization stays ahead of the curve.

Its a lovely set of numbers. The media acknowledge that. They say they will judge him on Teague's performance. They sound like you. Who do they think they are? They are the enemy. They have nothing nice to say that doesn't create a headline.

As you said before in one of your previous posts a few months ago if we finish in a similar position to last year in 2021 then we need to start again from the ground up

Don't take my posts out of context. Like I said, I can name 20 out of the 45 players on our list right now, that we can build on if we have to reset. It doesn't take that much to get us back on track thopugh FA's and Trades with those players. I know we don't have to rebuild from the ground up ever again. 100% on that.

Injuries surprised the football world one week before the season started. We were led to believe we had a healthy list except for Charlie. We need to find out more about our players. Sometimes the best laid plans are skewed by unforeseen forces. Longmire was going to be an assistant with us, but got the Freo job. Last minute things. We lost Martin Fisher Marchbank McDonald and Carroll in one wekend to add to our injury woes, then followed that by Silvagni. I remeber Brittains injury list in 2002. I remember Rattens injury list in 2012. You have to be flexible with your expectations and realistic. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

The board has set up a K.P.I ( I hate those 3 letters together) of a flag in 2023. So unrealistic. It shows how out of touch the board is.
Remember the Blue Print mantra a few years ago. Laughable.

Remember the 1906 1907 and 1908 flags. Remember the Premiership drought between 1947 and 1968? They happened long ago too. Look at the now and plan from there. That's all you can do. Life's not that hard unless you make it hard. There are no guarantees.

I agree the place has changed a bit for the better but change can be quicker particularly when decision makers know it

Liddle knows it and he's running the joint. He got rid of Carlton's favourite son didn't he. He is the NOW and we move forward from there

I’m not sure some others do

From what I read from you you're not sure about much but have a deep suspicion and denial Carlton can ever be great again whilst Pratt Mathieson and Judd are still at Carlton. Thats' a fallacy. Its a club. We are all in it together. Some make it difficult and constantly throw mud and allow themselves to be encourage to do so by the media, who make money from these insecurities

BLUEBAGGERS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
The above 2 posts from Blue Jean and Sinbaggers are plainly disrespectful by not acknowledging what MLG has achieved at our great club.

There is nothing you have said in your posts that tie MLG with anything he's done wrong for the club. Nothing.

I am old enough to know the 60's, 70's 80's 90's 00's 10's and feel comfort where the club is today, off field, and truly believe we are on the right track on field too.

I have known the appointment of Luke Sayers was going to take place for some time, as many have hoped over the years, this distinguished business leader would take the reigns one day, but I wasn't going to believe it till it happened.

We are blessed to have had MLG as President and blessed with his succession plan.

Have a look at the Elliot Presidential era post 1995 and try and remember what happened in 2002.
Ian Collins took the reigns, and was handing the keys to the club to the AFL, till a deal was struck to leave our home, Princes Park.
Smorgon's Presidency promised a lot with "Smorgiland" with his mates, but divided the club, and achieved nothing.
Reflect on the Kernahan Presidential era and you will see a man out of his depth but loved the club...nearly to death. He took on the role till he knew he was drowning.
The Pratt Presidential era gave us hope our once great club would not fold, and helped us build our elite facilities, and aimed to get the best, but died prematurely.

Think about the trepidation unconditional supporters felt when the club was in limbo post Pratt. Think about it.

Powerbrokers. Bottom of the ladder. In debt to the AFL. Under control of the AFL. Presidency is not an easy gig in one of the Big 4 clubs in Melbourne.

I like the fact that I belong to a club that was established in 1864, making it one year younger than the oldest clubs in the world; the 2 major Australian cities at the time, Melbourne and Geelong at a time paving the way to an era known by the term "Marvellous Melbourne". Carlton reflects those days, and has been a great club for 150 years, being the only Melbourne club never finished on the bottom of the ladder.

In 2002 Carlton hit rock bottom for the first time in its history. We were sold out by Ian Collins (AFL employee at the time, Dome CEO and new Carlton President) who was going to hand over the keys to the AFL. From that day, when Collins agreed to the AFL's terms, as our Creditor, we became an AFL puppet. We were propped up by the AFL with loans which forced our hand and made us bow to their every whim. We lost our independence, and with that our identity. The Commissioners at the time were led by the likes of Evans, Demetriou and Samuels who hated, and still hate Carlton (Evans from his grave).

MLG took on a role to mediate and bring the factions to work towards a common goal (every club has them), to get us out of a terrible mess. A mess many still don't understand.

Things take time to change, and for those who can't see change, are uninformed or ignorant. Leave the bitterness behind and appreciate where we are as a club. Be grateful.

Change is inevitable, including voting rights, which MLG addressed and acknowledged in his letter, as well as giving us an incredible new leader to take the over reigns, with a well orchestrated succession plan.

MLG has led our great club, from an antiquated state, stuck in the 80's, a play thing for the rich (with good intentions but questionable practises) into the modern age and positioned Carlton to flourish.

Every year 17 teams don't win the flag. Every year every year club's make mistakes. But you have to respect that MLG has not had an easy ride to bring us to where we are today. Bringing factions together. Yes together. No debt, Elite facilities, Women's team, etc etc, a progressive CEO, Great Directors, and you should know, the recent mistakes from those recently appointed, Austin, Silvagni, Judd etc will learn from those mistakes, and only make us stronger for them. We are identifying our gaps in this rebuild and its only round 6. To state a classic "Early Doors".

In all those decades I've been around I never saw a President walking around the ground, outside the exclusive enclave of the Members stand, willing to engage and embrace every and any Carlton supporter he met and make them feel as part of something special, just as he did: our Blue Brethren. I live in Sydney, and it was a breath of fresh air walking around the SCG, or Drummoyne Oval or Spotless Stadium with Sydney fans to be greeted, belly to belly, eye to eye, and chat to our President: the people's President. My kids will never forget that nor show disrespect for the man.

Sydney fans stated and displayed their appreciation for our People's President at the time. I wish some of our supporters showed the same gratitude.

Thanks MLG. You have left with the club in a better place than when you took the reigns as President. I hope somewhere on the new elite facilities features your name. Respect.

BLUEBAGGERS

Not a cheap shot.
I respect you.
Sorry you took as a cheap shot.
You were referring to Sayers

Quote:
They lost me at “director of the club since 2012”, that’s hardly a compelling resume. What I want to hear is how will he change the culture of the club and the football department in particular? If he’s not going to address that then it’s window dressing.

but, I took it that you don't give a shit about MLG's tenure, achievements and his announcement, nor the new bloke, who isn't addressing the same pressing issues MLG has avoided. Maybe I read too much into it. You left the door ajar given the new guy hasn't taken office till the end of the year.

I was alluding that MLG should be commended, and the club is in a better state than it has for 2 decades.

Sorry, I shouldn't have expected you to post your appreciation of MLG, not that I did, but you could take me that way, and I should have accepted your disappointment on your feelings with the on field performance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Bondi Blue

SOS didn’t have the runs on the board as a List Manager. He was given the easiest job in List Management history at GWS. Remember all the picks he had in the first 2 years. He was appointed in 2015 at Carlton. There was plenty of time to see how those picks went. He got plenty wrong more than most good List Managers and we are paying the price for it now.

At the time SOS was poached to Carlton, the industry perception SOS was great at his job. That's the reason he got the job at GWS, and the reason he got the job at Carlton. What's this plenty time business? We are NOW seeing the fruits of his labour, and most haven't ripened. He had more picks than any other List Manager in history. Of course he was going to get more wrong.

I am against any job given to them because their a relative of the boss or in this case a legend of Carlton with the most famous name at Carlton.
And there is no doubting that it has backfired on many fronts given SOS’s nature of departure and tipping the bucket on the club on live radio to a turd like Tim Watson.

Jobs for the boys, on one hand, and employing the best, on the other hand. I too went off SOS for his big foul ungracious mouth after he left. Lost me then.

The jury is still out. Dow is 21yo, Obrien 21yo, Stocker 20yo, Philp 20yo, Kemp 20yo, Ramsay 20yo, Setterfield 22yo, Walsh 20yo, De Koning 21yo, SPS 23yo this year....nah mate, the jury is still out. You are being a snob. You want to be Judge Jury and Executioner. I don't buy this egotistical angle, not from you, not from anyone. Mud sticks. Not with me.

He gave us a spine

Weitering
DeKoning
Walsh
Curnow
McKay

LoGuidice as I acknowledged before has done some good things for this club but the SOS appointment is another example of that Carlton bubble I talk about

The jury is out. Its normal for the President to trust his Board. That's how the western world works Chairman Mao. If they failed him, THEY failed him.

As for Pratt and Mathieson from my understanding they are still on the board. If as you say they have scaled back their duties why are they still there? Wouldn’t be better to get some new blood in there.

Pratt and Mathieson are your recurring nightmare. They don't do much. They will not be there for much longer. They cannot veto a Board decision. The question you raise is of Good Governance. Carlton has improved that area. You are jumping at shadows, but I like the way you keep the bastards honest. I don't have to believe every word you say though as if its gospel.

Have a look at some of the people who have been employed at the club in important roles at the club
McKay
Sticks
SOS
All have failed

There's wins and losses. There's styles that some like that others dislike. They did their best. I appreciate that. They were moved on for better candidates. The wheels keep turning.

Don’t you get it

I get it. You can't polish a turd. carlton was a shit place to run, work in and play footy at.
Do you get we were NOT a destination club, and that has only turned in the last year

You get the best there is. You sound like Richard Pratt. He did his best to do that. See above

Not have an inbreeding process Trigg, moved on, Liddle looks the goods. SOS moved on. Austin looks the goods... and its there for everyone to see throughout our organisation....they are not all Carlton people. Most are not. Kerna is gone. He was the only one who would carry the baby.

Now we have Judd as director of footy He is respected. People admire him. He's smart and the image he portrays is a good one for our club. That's how I see it. The minrity is in the other corner. Perception is reality. But you can't tell me what Judd does every day at the club is bad. He holds court. People listen. He can work things out pretty quick. I trust him till a better candidate turns up.

I'm not going to say no to every Carltonian that puts his hand up. Cut my nose to spite my face. Mike Fitzpatrick, come on down, there's a spot for you and its been there for 2 decades.

And I thank him for that. All good candidates. We had a war chest to spend, and still do. You don't get how it works. Gov's contract expires soon. He hasn't done himself any favours. Ball is in his court as it is for every player. We still have a war chest to spend. That's smart operator if you asked me. You can only consider players who want to come to Carlton. More players who wanted to come to carlton were rejected than you know of. I don't have a problem with that. He trusted SOS' argument for and against. I'm sure he disagreed with SOS too. We will never know what goes on behind closed doors. You make out like you know everything. There's more to come. I can't wait to keep adding value to the list.

Judd to me comes across as a yes man. That's you opinion. That's all Because of his name his intelligence his footy past he can do no wrong in your eyes, not mine. I know he's human like me and nearly as smart as you.

Maybe despite who he is and his past he hasn’t a clue about building a successful team in the 21st century.

How do you know that? You doin't. You're being rude and slanderous. He's only just started.

I mentioned Peter Garrett before. He has a reputation for being “such a good bloke”. Nothing could be further from the truth if you dig real deep.

Made a huge impact as a Greens politician, but wanted to make a bigger impact and joined labour.
He got stuck in the politics wheel. I've been in politics too because my dad pushed me in. He had influence. That's when I realised what a bunch of desperate lying boring and uninspiring cheats most are and got out quickly. Garrett got thrown under the bus. He got out too. Now he's back doing what he's good at and can say what he likes. Do you know him or just creating some inuendo? PM me with the deep digging you've done, and I'll set you straight if need be.

And The President whoever he is is meant to as his title suggests presides over the operations and make sure the organization stays ahead of the curve.

Its a lovely set of numbers. The media acknowledge that. They say they will judge him on Teague's performance. They sound like you. Who do they think they are? They are the enemy. They have nothing nice to say that doesn't create a headline.

As you said before in one of your previous posts a few months ago if we finish in a similar position to last year in 2021 then we need to start again from the ground up

Don't take my posts out of context. Like I said, I can name 20 out of the 45 players on our list right now, that we can build on if we have to reset. It doesn't take that much to get us back on track thopugh FA's and Trades with those players. I know we don't have to rebuild from the ground up ever again. 100% on that.

Injuries surprised the football world one week before the season started. We were led to believe we had a healthy list except for Charlie. We need to find out more about our players. Sometimes the best laid plans are skewed by unforeseen forces. Longmire was going to be an assistant with us, but got the Freo job. Last minute things. We lost Martin Fisher Marchbank McDonald and Carroll in one wekend to add to our injury woes, then followed that by Silvagni. I remeber Brittains injury list in 2002. I remember Rattens injury list in 2012. You have to be flexible with your expectations and realistic. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

The board has set up a K.P.I ( I hate those 3 letters together) of a flag in 2023. So unrealistic. It shows how out of touch the board is.

Remember the 1906 1907 and 1908 flags. Remember the Premiership drought between 1947 and 1968? They happened long ago too. Look at the now and plan from there. That's all you can do. Life's not that hard unless you make it hard. There are no guarantees.

I agree the place has changed a bit for the better but change can be quicker particularly when decision makers know it

Liddle knows it and he's running the joint. He got rid of Carlton's favourite son didn't he. He is the NOW and we move forward from there

From what I read from you you're not sure about much but have a deep suspicion and denial Carlton can ever be great again whilst Pratt Mathieson and Judd are still at Carlton. Thats' a fallacy. Its a club. We are all in it together. Some make it difficult and constantly throw mud and allow themselves to be encourage to do so by the media, who make money from these insecurities

BLUEBAGGERS

Well BB
You have presented your feelings well and truly
All I know is in 20 years we have finished last 5 times
Bottom six 13 times
Final 8 four times one a token because Essendon* were found guilty of taking drugs that enhanced performance
Never played in Preliminary Final
Only got close once
The board is partly responsible for that
It’s a results driven industry
As a side issue
Peter Garrett
A campaigner for conservation, indigenous land rights and shoving it up those big corporations who don’t give a @#$%&! about the ordinary people
In 2000 Midnight Oil played Beds and Burning at the closing ceremony of the Sydney Olympics with sorry written in white over a black jump suites as a message to the Howard Government and passed governments for not respecting the importance of the land our indigenous ancestors so cherish as sacred

In 2009 as the Federal Environment Minister Garrett approved the expansion of The McArthur River Zinc Mine in NTto become open cut bowing to Xstrata a powerful multi national mining company and in the process the river had to be diverted over 5 km. This after he promised his indigenous mates he wouldn’t do it two weeks before.

In 2017 Jack Green an elder from that land ask Garrett to apologize as the Oils were playing in Darwin as part of their comeback tour.

Garrett ignored him
Fact
“ Read about it”
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg
Peter Garrett is the ultimate hypocritical prick
I personally don’t @#$%&! care if anyone goes to an Oils show whether you know or don’t know what he implemented as the Federal Environment Minister That’s your choice.
But the guy is a fraud.

The message
What looks good may not actually smell that nice
Don’t believe everything anyone tells ha.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:45 am 
Bruce Doull

The Pagan years
The Ratten years
The Malthouse years
The Bolton years

These shall not be forgotten years

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Bondi Blue

He gave us a spine

Weitering
DeKoning
Walsh
Curnow
McKay

McKay
Sticks
SOS
All have failed

Don’t you get it

BLUEBAGGERS

what was your band, Bondi?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:45 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:

Well BB
You have presented your feelings well and truly
All I know is in 20 years we have finished last 5 times
Bottom six 13 times
Final 8 four times one a token because Essendon** were found guilty of taking drugs that enhanced performance
Never played in Preliminary Final
Only got close once
The board is partly responsible for that
It’s a results driven industry
As a side issue
Peter Garrett
A campaigner for conservation, indigenous land rights and shoving it up those big corporations who don’t give a @#$%&! about the ordinary people
In 2000 Midnight Oil played Beds and Burning at the closing ceremony of the Sydney Olympics with sorry written in white over a black jump suites as a message to the Howard Government and passed governments for not respecting the importance of the land our indigenous ancestors so cherish as sacred

In 2009 as the Federal Environment Minister Garrett approved the expansion of The McArthur River Zinc Mine in NTto become open cut bowing to Xstrata a powerful multi national mining company and in the process the river had to be diverted over 5 km. This after he promised his indigenous mates he wouldn’t do it two weeks before.

In 2017 Jack Green an elder from that land ask Garrett to apologize as the Oils were playing in Darwin as part of their comeback tour.

Garrett ignored him
Fact
“ Read about it”
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg
Peter Garrett is the ultimate hypocritical prick
I personally don’t @#$%&! care if anyone goes to an Oils show whether you know or don’t know what he implemented as the Federal Environment Minister That’s your choice.
But the guy is a fraud.

The message
What looks good may not actually smell that nice
Don’t believe everything anyone tells ha.

I'm a lazy so and so.
I piss money and time up the wall.
I don't get health checks.
I live like everyday is the last.
Its fun. But I have responsibilities too.
Fortunate for me my wife knows I didn't ask for responsibility.
But I'm loyal and committed to every close one's well being.

I keep looking forward.
I look at where I am and evaluate.
I look to the past to make sure I'm not making the same mistakes.
Knowing where I am, and where I've been gives me the springboard to plan ahead.

Ditto with my views and gut feelings with Carltonfc

I know where we are.
I know, and have listed all the gaps posters and supporters raise. I evaluate.
I know there's some truth in all of those gaps, but also aware of extreme exaggeration of the problems.

The list is fine. Not perfect.
I love the age profile.
Its 2021 and this is the now.
I know all the problems are obvious to the Football Dept, and the Board.
I know they are planning ahead to fill those gaps.
Its not that hard. It takes time.
Trade and Draft times can't be brought forward, neither can the injured.

I know we can't erase the past
I know the past is behind us.
Our Constitution changed to avoid some of those problems; maybe not all.
Change is slow, but its constant.

I'm really disappointed to read your news about Garrett.
I was aware on the surface.
Politics is a dirty game. I'm sure everyone knows it.
Sometimes you are forced into a situation as a compromise to make other things happen.
Utopia doesn't exist amongst humans. Its a dog eat dog world.
We get comfort from compromise.
I'd rather know the whole story, both sides before I caste judgement.
Disappointment is not casting judgement.

No one is perfect, yet we seek perfection.

Carlton is a better place now than anytime in the past 2 decades.
This year is our springboard. We have a good platform to take off.
We will.
Its only round 6, and we have to look at all the factors that put us in this position, not pick and choose.
The media pick n choose for clicks and papers. The naive get sucked intot hat.
The Big picture. We are OK. We've had everything go against us this year, yet sit 2-4.
16 rounds to go. 16. That's how many Premierships we've got.
Put that in the bank, and bank on the next 16 rounds bring us heaps of joy and momentum going into season 2022.

Keep on punchin' keogh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bender wrote:

what was your band, Bondi?

The nobodies. That's not the name of the band.
No one needs to know me. Some at TC do.

We were a Uni band that were lucky to tour with Oils in Tassie.
I was a lazy mole back then too.

I still keep in touch with some of the bigger boys in the industry.
One celebrated my birthday with up up in Palm Cove.

I like being a nobody.
I'd be dead if I was a somebody :wink:

BLUEBAGGERS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:56 am 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
The Pagan years
The Ratten years
The Malthouse years
The Bolton years

Given the last 20 years. “Scream in Blue” would be appropriate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:08 am 
Geoff Southby

Well BB
I guess the thing is not many people do know. Even the ABC speak glowingly about him. I guess it’s like killing Bambi. Who wants to do that.
I have a real personal dislike for false people.
I would rather David Lee Roth
Every Van Halen song he sang was about sex, drugs and rock n roll.
And that’s how he has lived his life. An egomaniac, misogynistic person
But he doesn’t hide who he is.
He has more integrity than Garrett

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Lace Out wrote:
Apparently Fitzy.

Personally I'd be surprised, and delighted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

You can never overlook a Rhodes Scholar. Whatever that is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:18 am 
Wayne Johnston

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Lace Out wrote:
Apparently Fitzy.

Personally I'd be surprised, and delighted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

You can never overlook a Rhodes Scholar. Whatever that is.

A racist and misogynist if you believe current thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:25 am 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

BLUEBAGGERS

Not a cheap shot.
I respect you.
Sorry you took as a cheap shot.
You were referring to Sayers

Quote:
They lost me at “director of the club since 2012”, that’s hardly a compelling resume. What I want to hear is how will he change the culture of the club and the football department in particular? If he’s not going to address that then it’s window dressing.

but, I took it that you don't give a shit about MLG's tenure, achievements and his announcement, nor the new bloke, who isn't addressing the same pressing issues MLG has avoided. Maybe I read too much into it. You left the door ajar given the new guy hasn't taken office till the end of the year.

I was alluding that MLG should be commended, and the club is in a better state than it has for 2 decades.

Sorry, I shouldn't have expected you to post your appreciation of MLG, not that I did, but you could take me that way, and I should have accepted your disappointment on your feelings with the on field performance.

Fair enough, although I guess I did give a backhanded compliment to MLG in that I see the problem as the footy department and anything else as irrelevant, which means I must think the club is doing well in other areas.

Having lived outside Victoria for nearly 30 years now, and the last 12 outside the country it’s hard to really know or see what is going on inside the club, all I see are broadcast games and what’s published by the media. I can count the number of games I’ve attended live in the last 10 years on one hand, and Simmos 300th was the last one. My only real insight into the club is TC (and TBV before that), and even here I need to synthesise disparate views such as Synbad, Keogh, yourself, etc.

I enjoyed your last few posts in this thread, keep it going.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:29 am 
Garry Crane

Some good posts by BondiBlue and Keogh. Both present considered and cogent points of view. Personally I’m more aligned with Keogh’s world view. Here’s why:

MLG’s scorecard:
2014 - 13th
2015 - 18th
2016 - 14th
2017 - 16th
2018 - 18th
2019 - 16th
2020 - 11th
2021* - 13th

Nothing.else.matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm 
Bert Deacon

CK95 wrote:
The Pagan years
The Ratten years
The Malthouse years
The Bolton years

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sammywaslow wrote:
Some good posts by BondiBlue and Keogh. Both present considered and cogent points of view. Personally I’m more aligned with Keogh’s world view. Here’s why:

MLG’s scorecard:
2014 - 13th
2015 - 18th
2016 - 14th
2017 - 16th
2018 - 18th
2019 - 16th
2020 - 11th
2021* - 13th

Nothing.else.matters.

Not to you.

Poor fat guy. he didn't even put the boots on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
Having lived outside Victoria for nearly 30 years now, and the last 12 outside the country it’s hard to really know or see what is going on inside the club...

I’ve lived about 800 metres from the club for most of my life and it’s just as opaque... :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:42 pm 
Wayne Johnston

GWS wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Having lived outside Victoria for nearly 30 years now, and the last 12 outside the country it’s hard to really know or see what is going on inside the club...

I’ve lived about 800 metres from the club for most of my life and it’s just as opaque... :lol:

…but don’t you live in Greater Western Sydney?

;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 174  Next