Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 174  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Dear ,

I am writing to inform you that after 12 years on the Board of the Carlton Football Club and eight of those years as President, my tenure will conclude at the end of 2021.

For some time, with the guidance of the Independent Nominations Committee, the Board has been in the process of succession planning. It is with great pleasure that I can now announce that the Board has unanimously elected Luke Sayers as President-Elect, which was determined at a Board meeting on Monday night.

Luke Sayers is a well-regarded business leader and has been a Director of the Club since 2012. He is the Executive Chairman of Sayers, a Melbourne-based investment and advisory company, and prior to that the CEO of PricewaterhouseCoopers for eight years. In 2019, Sayers was made a Member of the Order of Australia for his significant service to business, to people with a disability, and to the community.

My priority now remains to ensure a smooth transition during this period.

As such, there is important work to be done before my tenure concludes. This includes three critical tasks:

The first is to work closely with Luke to ensure a smooth transition and to ensure that the Board is equipped with the necessary skill sets to manage the Club moving forward.

The second is to complete the reform of the Club Constitution as promised at the last AGM. This reform will see governance improvements, proper acknowledgment of athletes of all genders and recognition of our Indigenous history. Importantly, we will address membership anomalies that currently preclude some important membership categories from being recognised as voting members of the Club.

The third is to complete the Masterplan for Ikon Park, which I look forward to sharing with members more information in the coming weeks.

In addition to these tasks, I will continue to ensure our coaches and our entire Football Department have all the support needed to improve our on-field performance.

While there will be a time to reflect on the years I have had the honour and privilege of serving as President of this great club, I would like to thank you for entrusting me in this role over the last eight years. It is a responsibility I have never taken for granted and I thank you for your support.

For now, I look forward to working with Luke and the Board to continue the work at hand.

As always, thank you for your ongoing support of the Club.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Thoughts on Sayers?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:24 am 
Wayne Johnston

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Thoughts on Sayers?

They lost me at “director of the club since 2012”, that’s hardly a compelling resume. What I want to hear is how will he change the culture of the club and the football department in particular? If he’s not going to address that then it’s window dressing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 am 
Serge Silvagni

The club must read my posts.

The fish rots at the head.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:53 am 
Bruce Doull

sinbagger wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Thoughts on Sayers?

They lost me at “director of the club since 2012”, that’s hardly a compelling resume. What I want to hear is how will he change the culture of the club and the football department in particular? If he’s not going to address that then it’s window dressing.

Well the part just after that at least tells me that the guy knows how to run an organisation.

"He is the Executive Chairman of Sayers, a Melbourne-based investment and advisory company, and prior to that the CEO of PricewaterhouseCoopers for eight years. In 2019, Sayers was made a Member of the Order of Australia for his significant service to business, to people with a disability, and to the community."

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am 
Ken Hunter

The Normal One wrote:
Effes wrote:
Tom Browne
@TomBrowne7
·
10m
In an exclusive I can report Mark LoGiudice will stand down as Blues President, handing over at the end of the year as part of a transition to new President Luke Sayers.
@7NewsMelbourne

@triplemfooty

He must have received the email too :-)
Never change Tom Browne. Never change.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:13 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't care too much about who is president.
All I really want is a recruiter that is good at identifying U/18 talent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:28 am 
Harry Vallence

Humpers wrote:
I don't care too much about who is president.
All I really want is a recruiter that is good at identifying U/18 talent.

Spot on , at whilst on it , a relevant, connected & viable coaching , development & fitness team , to compliment the good recruiter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The above 2 posts from Blue Jean and Sinbaggers are plainly disrespectful by not acknowledging what MLG has achieved at our great club.

There is nothing you have said in your posts that tie MLG with anything he's done wrong for the club. Nothing.

I am old enough to know the 60's, 70's 80's 90's 00's 10's and feel comfort where the club is today, off field, and truly believe we are on the right track on field too.

I have known the appointment of Luke Sayers was going to take place for some time, as many have hoped over the years, this distinguished business leader would take the reigns one day, but I wasn't going to believe it till it happened.

We are blessed to have had MLG as President and blessed with his succession plan.

Have a look at the Elliot Presidential era post 1995 and try and remember what happened in 2002.
Ian Collins took the reigns, and was handing the keys to the club to the AFL, till a deal was struck to leave our home, Princes Park.
Smorgon's Presidency promised a lot with "Smorgiland" with his mates, but divided the club, and achieved nothing.
Reflect on the Kernahan Presidential era and you will see a man out of his depth but loved the club...nearly to death. He took on the role till he knew he was drowning.
The Pratt Presidential era gave us hope our once great club would not fold, and helped us build our elite facilities, and aimed to get the best, but died prematurely.

Think about the trepidation unconditional supporters felt when the club was in limbo post Pratt. Think about it.

Powerbrokers. Bottom of the ladder. In debt to the AFL. Under control of the AFL. Presidency is not an easy gig in one of the Big 4 clubs in Melbourne.

I like the fact that I belong to a club that was established in 1864, making it one year younger than the oldest clubs in the world; the 2 major Australian cities at the time, Melbourne and Geelong at a time paving the way to an era known by the term "Marvellous Melbourne". Carlton reflects those days, and has been a great club for 150 years, being the only Melbourne club never finished on the bottom of the ladder.

In 2002 Carlton hit rock bottom for the first time in its history. We were sold out by Ian Collins (AFL employee at the time, Dome CEO and new Carlton President) who was going to hand over the keys to the AFL. From that day, when Collins agreed to the AFL's terms, as our Creditor, we became an AFL puppet. We were propped up by the AFL with loans which forced our hand and made us bow to their every whim. We lost our independence, and with that our identity. The Commissioners at the time were led by the likes of Evans, Demetriou and Samuels who hated, and still hate Carlton (Evans from his grave).

MLG took on a role to mediate and bring the factions to work towards a common goal (every club has them), to get us out of a terrible mess. A mess many still don't understand.

Things take time to change, and for those who can't see change, are uninformed or ignorant. Leave the bitterness behind and appreciate where we are as a club. Be grateful.

Change is inevitable, including voting rights, which MLG addressed and acknowledged in his letter, as well as giving us an incredible new leader to take the over reigns, with a well orchestrated succession plan.

MLG has led our great club, from an antiquated state, stuck in the 80's, a play thing for the rich (with good intentions but questionable practises) into the modern age and positioned Carlton to flourish.

Every year 17 teams don't win the flag. Every year every year club's make mistakes. But you have to respect that MLG has not had an easy ride to bring us to where we are today. Bringing factions together. Yes together. No debt, Elite facilities, Women's team, etc etc, a progressive CEO, Great Directors, and you should know, the recent mistakes from those recently appointed, Austin, Silvagni, Judd etc will learn from those mistakes, and only make us stronger for them. We are identifying our gaps in this rebuild and its only round 6. To state a classic "Early Doors".

Congratulations and thank you MLG for you Presidency.

In all those decades I've been around I never saw a President walking around the ground, outside the exclusive enclave of the Members stand, willing to engage and embrace every and any Carlton supporter he met and make them feel as part of something special, just as he did: our Blue Brethren. I live in Sydney, and it was a breath of fresh air walking around the SCG, or Drummoyne Oval or Spotless Stadium with Sydney fans to be greeted, belly to belly, eye to eye, and chat to our President: the people's President. My kids will never forget that nor show disrespect for the man.

Sydney fans stated and displayed their appreciation for our People's President at the time. I wish some of our supporters showed the same gratitude.

Thanks MLG. You have left with the club in a better place than when you took the reigns as President. I hope somewhere on the new elite facilities features your name. Respect.

Welcome aboard Luke Sayers.

BLUEBAGGERS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:40 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
The above 2 posts from Blue Jean and Sinbaggers are plainly disrespectful by not acknowledging what MLG has achieved at our great club.

There is nothing you have said in your posts that tie MLG with anything he's done wrong for the club. Nothing.......................Thanks MLG. You have left with the club in a better place than when you took the reigns as President. I hope somewhere on the new elite facilities features your name. Respect.

Welcome aboard Luke Sayers.

BLUEBAGGERS

Very Cool.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:59 am 
Geoff Southby

I tend to agree. MLG may not be the greatest president, but he is hardly the worst in recent times. Will probably be looked at more favourably over time...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 am 
Harry Vallence

Great post Bondi. Like yourself I started following Carlton when Ken Hands was coach. Over 90% here will ask who the hell is/was Ken Hands?
Let's keep pushing forward so that the 90% (or more) can witness 8 premierships like we have.
Go Blues.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:06 am 
Bruce Doull

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Thoughts on Sayers?

Depends....can he ruck?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:13 am 
Banned

MLG done a great job under trying circumstances - taking over from Sticks and Swann that made the place a long term on-field mess.

Deserves a gold watch for his service to the club. I can only say thank you to him and hope Luke continues the good work and positive strides the club has made in recent years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:17 am 
Bruce Doull

Look at where the club was (off-field) when he first came in, compared to now, for your answer over whether he was any good.

The on-field stuff is in the hands of Brad Lloyd and co.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:27 am 
Geoff Southby

We were a rabble on & off field when he took over from Sticks. I am considerably happier with the off field stuff now. The jury is still out about the on field situation, but overall I reckon MLG has done a good job.

He’s a terrible media performer, but lots of good stuff has happened under his watch and I reckon he will be remembered favourably by most members.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

Walsh wrote:
Deserves a gold watch for his service to the club.

Christine Holgate will make the presentation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Have a look at the Headline created in the sports section of The Australian

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport

Quote:
BLUES PRESIDENT STANDS DOWN IN SHOCK MOVE

and here is the header and article written by Rebecca Williams

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/mark-logiudice-will-step-down-as-carlton-president-at-the-end-of-the-2021-season/news-story/3aec7877d26732a02874854dedae6a9f

Quote:
Mark LoGiudice will step down as Carlton president at the end of the 2021 season

Quote:
Carlton president Mark LoGiudice will stand down from his role at the end of the year, handing over the reigns to director Luke Sayers.

After eight years as president — and 12 years on the board — the Blues confirmed today LoGiudice’s tenure would conclude at the end of 2021.

Sayers was unanimously elected as president-elect at a board meeting on Monday night.

A well-regarded business leader, Sayers has been a director of the club since 2012.

LoGiudice, who took over the role as president in 2014, said he relinquished his role with full confidence in the position the club was in.

Its common knowledge for years now that Luke was being groomed for the role in a well orchestrated succession plan.

I was at a party on saturday from 5pm and into the night, hence missed the Lions game live, and an employee od PWC, who I hadn't see for 2 years, and has huge respect for Sayers, said to me, "you said Luke Sayers was going to be President, So what's happened? When is Luke going to take on the Presidency". I replied I didnt know, but everyone knew since last year that MLG's made it clear that 2021 would be his last year as President.

You see how sensationalism is the norm when Carlton is involved. Click bait.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 pm 
Rod Ashman

Walsh wrote:
MLG done a great job under trying circumstances - taking over from Sticks and Swann that made the place a long term on-field mess.

Deserves a gold watch for his service to the club. I can only say thank you to him and hope Luke continues the good work and positive strides the club has made in recent years.

Wrong club - Christine Holgate is at Collingwood :-).

I'm happy with this change b/c a) someone prepared to give up the role voluntarily is a good person to have led the club and b) many people have wanted Sayers to take the reigns for a while now. Hopefully now he has the time and the decks have been sufficiently cleared to enable him to do a good job.

Similar to our on-field personnel, I suspect a bit more change still required at Board level but we are on our way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

there is no doubt we are in a better position now compared when when he started, so I also would like to thank him for MLG for his work for the club.
The fact we are debt free and have 80,000 members is huge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 174  Next