Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:23 pm 
Garry Crane

redback wrote:
Denim wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:
So basically the point of this thread started off as positive, optimism, look on the bright side, get on with it

But now it has degenerated to :
Mick is no good
We hate mick
He is too expensive
Ratts was probably better
Now we are stuck with mick
We are doomed again
Told you so
But we aren't saying we want Ratts back
Just that we don't want whatever it is that we have

Maybe somebody should start a thread full of only constructive suggestions and ideas that might contribute to carlton reaching a premiership ??

Or is that crazy?
that's a great idea, but theres no denying that Ratts was a shit coach :smoking:

I have never suggested Mick was shit, ever.
My point if most people seem to be ignoring is that under Ratten we played finals 3 out of his 5 years with him at the helm. He was criticized repeatedly when he was seemed to have lost his way (and rightly so) last year, but again with an injury ravaged list.
Mick has made the same stupid decisions with a healthy list and has lost to the lesser teams and again hasn’t made any in roads to any of our much publicized deficiencies.
I don’t believe we should excuse one coach and not another especially when one has been brought in at great expense with the belief of raising standards and so far has failed to do so.
If Ratten is a shit coach then Malthouse can prove that theory of yours by using some of his experience and knowledge with the same list Ratten had and take us one step further and he can have an advantage by coaching a reasonably healthier one.
Yes

true RB but i think your discussing tension relieving momentary success as opposed to long term goal achieving

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:23 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Wangers wrote:
The basic skills of the game are our problem - field kicking and kicking for goal.
We have no problem with contested possessions (getting the ball), but we time and time again butcher the ball.
It's what separates the top sides from the rest - Geelong, Hawks, Sydney.
Until we draft or develop our skills/techniques of our players to kick the ball effectively, then we will always be a mediocre team at best.
I kid you not, if we master the art of kicking the ball and hitting targets - long, short, medium distances, we will win most games!!!

Good post, i agree with this increasingly.

Cant Dominate good opposition for the whole match anymore, seems to be accepted. Need to maximise your time on top by scoring. That happens through good kicking.

Also need to minimise damage when getting beat. Cool heads, leadership and good footskills needed for this too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

stroby1 wrote:
Wangers wrote:
The basic skills of the game are our problem - field kicking and kicking for goal.
We have no problem with contested possessions (getting the ball), but we time and time again butcher the ball.
Until we draft or develop our skills/techniques of our players to kick the ball effectively, then we will always be a mediocre team at best.
I kid you not, if we master the art of kicking the ball and hitting targets - long, short, medium distances, we will win most games!!!

Cant Dominate good opposition for the whole match anymore, seems to be accepted. Need to maximise your time on top by scoring. That happens through good kicking.

Also need to minimise damage when getting beat. Cool heads, leadership and good footskills needed for this too.

I've always believed that there are some non negotiables in winning a premiership and good foot skills is one of them. We are lacking in this area as our lesser players struggle with this skill, especially under pressure.

We show good endeavour and apply ourselves with intent but we lack good finishing. Needs to be addressed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:50 pm 
Harry Vallence

stroby1 wrote:
Wangers wrote:

I've always believed that there are some non negotiables in winning a premiership and good foot skills is one of them. We are lacking in this area as our lesser players struggle with this skill, especially under pressure.

We show good endeavour and apply ourselves with intent but we lack good finishing. Needs to be addressed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

BigBlueWave wrote:
IMO the list we have is more than capable of playing in the finals. No excuses for the Super Duper coach and some really dumb coaching decisions he has made this year.

Our list is nothing more than mid table... our final ladder position is dependant on relative strenghts of other mid table teams in a given year and/or injuries. Anyone that thinks we're top four are just kidding themselves imo.

No all doom and gloom though... add a few (ala swans) and things can turn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

Denim wrote:
redback wrote:
Denim wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:
So basically the point of this thread started off as positive, optimism, look on the bright side, get on with it

Mick is no good
We hate mick
He is too expensive
We are doomed again
Told you so

Maybe somebody should start a thread full of only constructive suggestions and ideas that might contribute to carlton reaching a premiership ??

Or is that crazy?
that's a great idea, but theres no denying that Ratts was a shit coach :smoking:

My point if most people seem to be ignoring is that under Ratten we played finals 3 out of his 5 years with him at the helm. He was criticized repeatedly when he was seemed to have lost his way (and rightly so) last year, but again with an injury ravaged list.
Mick has made the same stupid decisions with a healthy list and has lost to the lesser teams and again hasn’t made any in roads to any of our much publicized deficiencies.
I don’t believe we should excuse one coach and not another especially when one has been brought in at great expense with the belief of raising standards and so far has failed to do so.
If Ratten is a shit coach then Malthouse can prove that theory of yours by using some of his experience and knowledge with the same list Ratten had and take us one step further and he can have an advantage by coaching a reasonably healthier one.
Yes

true RB but i think your discussing tension relieving momentary success as opposed to long term goal achieving

Exactly Denim provide us with a positive win lose to get us into the finals and a prelim for the moment with what is provided for you and at the end of the year chop and change and be judged on a separate criterion from your predecessor with the list you’re content/comfortable with. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Will be interesting to see how we are going after the filth game on 5 July

Then no real respite after that: Saints, Norf, GC (away) & Freo

I think I'll book a seat in the worry room

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:13 pm 
Garry Crane

redback wrote:
Denim wrote:
redback wrote:
Denim wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:

Mick is no good
We hate mick
He is too expensive
We are doomed again
Told you so

Or is that crazy?

Yes

Exactly Denim provide us with a positive win lose to get us into the finals and a prelim for the moment with what is provided for you and at the end of the year chop and change and be judged on a separate criterion from your predecessor with the list you’re content/comfortable with. :thumbsup:

Id hate to be a coach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:39 am 
Geoff Southby

We are not far away, just got to cross that line and take a big scalp!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

Should demolish the worry room.Complete waste of space.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Our greatest losing margins over the last 10 years have steadily improved with the blip being 2012:
2002: 108 point loss Collingwood Rd 18
2003: 124 point loss North Melbourne Rd 22
2004: 108 point loss St Kilda Round 10
2005: 99 point loss Essendon* Round 21
2006: 92 point loss St Kilda Round 8
2007: 100 point loss Hawthorn Round 12
2008: 78 Point loss Hawthorn Round 22
2009: 72 Point loss Adelaide Round 22
2010: 68 point loss Bulldogs Round 15
2011: 36 point loss West Coast Round 14
2012: 69 point loss Adelaide Round 8
2013: 17 point loss Collingwood Round 2

Who knows, we might be overdue for a thumping, or we might be overdue for a big scalp. We've matched up well against Sydney recently and I think we're in with a shot this time around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:14 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If we draft specifically for skills then we'll probably get players who can't run or mark. It's just like when we drafted for speed; we found out they couldn't kick or tackle. There is a lot more to it than we want to think there is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Stone Free wrote:
Our greatest losing margins over the last 10 years have steadily improved with the blip being 2012:
2002: 108 point loss Collingwood Rd 18
2003: 124 point loss North Melbourne Rd 22
2004: 108 point loss St Kilda Round 10
2005: 99 point loss Essendon* Round 21
2006: 92 point loss St Kilda Round 8
2007: 100 point loss Hawthorn Round 12
2008: 78 Point loss Hawthorn Round 22
2009: 72 Point loss Adelaide Round 22
2010: 68 point loss Bulldogs Round 15
2011: 36 point loss West Coast Round 14
2012: 69 point loss Adelaide Round 8
2013: 17 point loss Collingwood Round 2

Who knows, we might be overdue for a thumping, or we might be overdue for a big scalp. We've matched up well against Sydney recently and I think we're in with a shot this time around.

Mr Malthouse does have a very good record against them in recent years.

Having said that, they are a much better side than 2011.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8