Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Alastair Clarkson
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
deano35 wrote:
This is TOTALLY different to Pagan and Malthouse TOTALLY.
Clarkson is the best coach of the modern era if not ever.
He is clearly still at the top of his game and as sharp as any.
If anyone else was coaching Hawthorn they wouldn't have won a game , they are worse then North.
Get Clarkson coz David is slowly killing our club and our kids.

Pagan and Madhouse were washed up and had other agenda's.

Pagan - shit sandwich he was given, not sure who’d have done well in same situation. Hindsight we’d been better holding our nerve and keeping Brittain.

Malthouse - Diabolical, came into a still relatively talented list which he blew up with no compensation for most of the good players we let go. Hindsight we’d have been better to stick with Ratten.

Now currently, list is healthier longer term looking and club more stable than either 2002 or 2012, so getting an established coach in they should have more to build with.

If we get Clarko I’d back him in, but prefer with stick with Teague.

No good rationalising. Unless the culture changes the coach is dead man walking from the start. Initial sugar hit then by the 3rd year the players are doing the same thing. With Malthouse it was the 3rd year where we stopped working, 3rd year with Bolton, and 3rd year again. Only thing is the win/loss ratio has been much better under Teague than those other two. sort the root of the problem otherwise we just embarrass another coach.

We put out the same effort in 2012 against a depleted Gold Coast when a win would get us into the 8. Cost Ratten his job, something we have regretted ever since. Ratten had the ability to get something out of sides with shit cultures, 3 finals at Carlton, one at St.Kilda, but it gets them in the end.

I agree, that’s what I’m not in favour of changing coaches.

Post subject: Re: Alastair Clarkson
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

All you need to do is listen to the guys pressers and it's clear he's the best coach.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
All you need to do is listen to the guys pressers and it's clear he's the best coach.

Anyone’s presser sound bad when a side doesn’t go well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
deano35 wrote:
If anyone else was coaching Hawthorn they wouldn't have won a game , they are worse then North.

Pagan - shit sandwich he was given, not sure who’d have done well in same situation. Hindsight we’d been better holding our nerve and keeping Brittain.

Malthouse - Diabolical, came into a still relatively talented list which he blew up with no compensation for most of the good players we let go. Hindsight we’d have been better to stick with Ratten.

Now currently, list is healthier longer term looking and club more stable than either 2002 or 2012, so getting an established coach in they should have more to build with.

No good rationalising. Unless the culture changes the coach is dead man walking from the start. Initial sugar hit then by the 3rd year the players are doing the same thing. With Malthouse it was the 3rd year where we stopped working, 3rd year with Bolton, and 3rd year again. Only thing is the win/loss ratio has been much better under Teague than those other two. sort the root of the problem otherwise we just embarrass another coach.

We put out the same effort in 2012 against a depleted Gold Coast when a win would get us into the 8. Cost Ratten his job, something we have regretted ever since. Ratten had the ability to get something out of sides with shit cultures, 3 finals at Carlton, one at St.Kilda, but it gets them in the end.

How was Hawthorn's culture prior to Clarkson???
How was Richmond's culture prior to Hardwick????
CULTURE is setup and is keeped Accountable by the head COACH.

David Teague has had numerous chances in 2 years to change our CULTURE but is too nice and very friendly coz that's the culture Teague has stamped on this footy club.
He's had 2 years to fix these 5 goal run ons.
He's had 2 years to fix this deplorable defensive structure.
Players laughing after they've had 4, 5 ,6 goals kicked on them.
Senior players recalled after long lay off's with no form or fitness.
Talented kids working there arse off into form yet overlooked time and time again.
Playing SENIOR players injured ahead of fully fit kids.

Ask yourself would Ckarkson accept what happened during our rd2 game ????
Do you think Clarkson would accept what happened today coz I can put my house on the fact that not 1 senior player will be dropped but I bet they'll hang Williamson, Cottrell, Owies or probably SPS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
He's stated numerous times that he won't break his contract. Are you going to kidnap him?
I thought he spoke emphatically & very well on Friday. Landed a blow on the journos but also ensured that the only way he'll depart is if the hawks sack him, meaning he gets his payout. They still might.

I'm with Mr Chatfield on this. Preference is we retain Teague but I won't vomit if it's Clarko. I'm not a hater, for a number of reasons.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
He's stated numerous times that he won't break his contract. Are you going to kidnap him?
I thought he spoke emphatically & very well on Friday. Landed a blow on the journos but also ensured that the only way he'll depart is if the hawks sack him, meaning he gets his payout. They still might.

I'm with Mr Chatfield on this. Preference is we retain Teague but I won't vomit if it's Clarko. I'm not a hater, for a number of reasons.

Plus 1. :thumbsup:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

Preference is we retain Teague......? On what possible basis other than "lets back a coach in for once"

Not a good enough reason for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

After today’s performance is on very thin ice same reasons for losing same deficient game plan same errors from players same bull dust at press conference

I’m not usually advocating getting rid of coaching but today is emblematic of another wasted season where we see no improvement and are the most disappointing team the AFL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:10 am 
Bruce Doull

Nick wrote:
Preference is we retain Teague......? On what possible basis other than "lets back a coach in for once"

Not a good enough reason for me.
We may not agree with everything Walshy says but he's right to say Teague's had his hands tied by injuries in his time. So I'd like to see how he'd go if we had a good run.

Admittedly the trouble is we never do. Ever.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:09 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
After today’s performance is on very thin ice same reasons for losing same deficient game plan same errors from players same bull dust at press conference

I’m not usually advocating getting rid of coaching but today is emblematic of another wasted season where we see no improvement and are the most disappointing team the AFL

No improvement at all.

Already lost more games than last year.

Wasted season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:00 am 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

No improvement at all.

Already lost more games than last year.

Wasted season.

Will have as we have played one more game. 17 games was 7-10, same as last year. Coaching a side with such a culture puts a coach on a hiding to nothing. Still better than the 4 wins from the last 44 games from the previous coach. Don't want to see the players lack of culture, drive, motivation present another coach's head on a platter. It'll change nothing unless the root of the issue is changed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:18 am 
Craig Bradley

deano35 wrote:
jim wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
deano35 wrote:

How was Hawthorn's culture prior to Clarkson???
How was Richmond's culture prior to Hardwick????
CULTURE is setup and is keeped Accountable by the head COACH.

David Teague has had numerous chances in 2 years to change our CULTURE but is too nice and very friendly coz that's the culture Teague has stamped on this footy club.
He's had 2 years to fix these 5 goal run ons.
He's had 2 years to fix this deplorable defensive structure.
Players laughing after they've had 4, 5,6 goals kicked on them.
Senior players recalled after long lay off's with no form or fitness.
Talented kids working there arse off into form yet overlooked time and time again.
Playing SENIOR players injured ahead of fully fit kids.

Ask yourself would Ckarkson accept what happened during our rd2 game ????
Do you think Clarkson would accept what happened today coz I can put my house on the fact that not 1 senior player will be dropped but I bet they'll hang Williamson, Cottrell, Owies or probably SPS

So wrong there it is ridiculous. Hawthorn's culture has always been good. Can still be good when you are struggling. Richmond's culture was terrible for 30 years even the likes of Allan Jeans or Walls couldn't turn around. Even Malthouse, one of the all time greats, couldn't do anything here. Teague's results have been better and has the 2nd best results of any coach here in 20 years. Remember when he started we had won 4 games from our previous 44, not to mention the embarrassing 100pt defeats, so we were starting low. Still remember when we were outscored 7 goals to 1 in a qtr by a side often with 16 men on the ground. So it was going to be a big job. We have had 6 coaches this century, nothing has changed the culture. What does that tell you? Another coach, same result unless the root of the problem is sorted. You can argue this and that, but means nothing unless the actual problem is sorted. don't need to be Einstein.

Eventually it turns itself around but it is often player driven, not coach driven. Coach then can do his bit when players buy in properly. Coach can only encourage but motivation comes from within. EVERY coach will tell you that in any sport. Psychology 101 and the same in any sport. Can tell you that from personal experience. Had some stars with the motivated ones, very little out of the unmotivated no matter how good the program was. if you don't know that then you are going to comment on something that is totally along the wrong track and you're wasting your time typing.

Right now a good chance Hawthorn are heading for the spoon. Couldn't even beat Adelaide at home. If you're coaching spoon sides then it's an indication an older coach is getting past it. Not always the case but a good indication.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:30 am 
Wayne Johnston

I never want to see this guy coaching our club, I don’t care how good he might be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Can't stand the bloke but he is a quality coach. Is - present tense. Still has the passion, is still young in coaching terms.
Any suggestion that he is past it is ridiculous and claiming that he has simply been lucky is laughable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:47 pm 
Bert Deacon

Blue Vain wrote:

You must be new to the game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

Nope no good this 4 time Premiership coach.
Most have been lucky 4 times over.
Currently running rings around the Lions with apparently a wooden spoon team.
Just imagine after taking your rose coloured glasses off what this modern day Goliath of Coaching could do with our list.
Unbelievable some of you in this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

deano35 wrote:
Just imagine after taking your rose coloured glasses off what this modern day Goliath of Coaching could do with our list.

I can't find a way to like him, want him, forgive him or respect him.
If he delivers a Flag to Carlton then I know he came with good intentions.

Until then, a leopard doesn't change its stripes for me: he's a Carlton hater, and would like nothing more than a Million dollars compensation each year from Carlton as payback for all the abuse he's had directed to him since the Coward Punch.

That's Life. I'm more than twice bitten and more than twice shy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree Deano killing Fagans 5 th based side with a very average 17 th side who is only 17 th by percentage
4 premierships speak for themselves I hate the guy and Hawthorn he is a first class pri… but to say he can’t coach is just nonsense
Last 2 years keeps a very ordinary side in the contest against much better sides because of tactical genius
Don’t know whether he wants to come to us apparently concerned about the outside influences at Carlton which wouldn’t surprise anyone here

Not sure they will sack Teague and appoint him either

My real fear is that he goes to Collingwood makes them bloody good for 10 years and they win a premiership or 2

The guy can coach to suggest otherwise is nonsense irrespective if you think the guy is a dh or you hate him for his past sins against Carlton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
deano35 wrote:

I can't find a way to like him, want him, forgive him or respect him.
If he delivers a Flag to Carlton then I know he came with good intentions.

Until then, a leopard doesn't change its stripes for me: he's a Carlton hater, and would like nothing more than a Million dollars compensation each year from Carlton as payback for all the abuse he's had directed to him since the Coward Punch.

That's Life. I'm more than twice bitten and more than twice shy.

I don’t like him either, but then again I don’t like any coach that’s not Carlton’s. I suspect if he were to come across we would warm to him, just like we warmed to Rhys Jones etc etc.

As for the million dollar superannuation as a form of vendetta, I would argue his fire in the belly would outweigh any vindictiveness. He wants a legacy like all great leaders in their respective fields. Imagine winning a couple of premierships at the Blues. It would be monumental in terms of his standing in the game.

I also feel he’d give two hoots what keyboard warriors and general supporters think. Winning would smooth over those cracks…..canyons….pretty quick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

deano35 wrote:

So he has a team that's capable of running rings around the Lions and they're second last?
It works both ways, doesn't it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next