Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Just Judd wrote:
Doc, does this mean we will be replacing Darren Harris current position as Developement Coach?

No...Harris retains his job at Carlton as Development Coach and does the Bullants gig.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:25 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Former Freo player Webster to join as well

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:25 pm 
Garry Crane

Cool, thanks for that. Looks like he will be a busy man next year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/newsar ... fault.aspx

Quote:
The Carlton Football Club also confirmed today that Luke Webster has been appointed as a Development Coach.

Webster played 33 games for Fremantle between 2003 and 2007 before his playing career was cut short following a fourth knee reconstruction.

“We are also delighted that Luke joins us at Carlton. He is an impressive young man and will work closely with both Darren Harris and our senior coaching staff at Carlton.” Steven Icke said.

A bit from left-field. But if they're signing up a guy from interstate only a couple of years out of the system, they must rate him as a bloke.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Just Judd wrote:
Cool, thanks for that. Looks like he will be a busy man next year.

http://ow.ly/33A4a

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:43 pm 
Robert Walls

So, it's...

Ratten: Head Coach
Richardson: Senior Assistant
Riley: Senior Assistant / Midfield
Brown: Defence
Barker: Forwards
Capuano: Rucks / Development
Harris: Bullants / Development manager
Bradley: Development
Webster: Development

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4311/newsid/104824/default.aspx

Quote:
The Carlton Football Club also confirmed today that Luke Webster has been appointed as a Development Coach.

Webster played 33 games for Fremantle between 2003 and 2007 before his playing career was cut short following a fourth knee reconstruction.

“We are also delighted that Luke joins us at Carlton. He is an impressive young man and will work closely with both Darren Harris and our senior coaching staff at Carlton.” Steven Icke said.

A bit from left-field. But if they're signing up a guy from interstate only a couple of years out of the system, they must rate him as a bloke.

Four recos! :eek:

Poor bugger. Hope he becomes a coaching gun, you'd reckon he'd certainly want to prove himself after what must be considered an unfulfilled playing career.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

Josh Kaplan wrote:
Former Freo player Webster to join as well

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluechampion wrote:
So, it's...

More like:

Riley: Midfield
Capuano: Rucks
Bradley: Midfield assistant

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

jimmae wrote:
More like:

Riley: Midfield
Capuano: Rucks
Bradley: Midfield assistant

Yep...spot on Jimmae, and C.Bradley is part-time as well and Matty Capuano has a dual Rucks/Assistant Coach role if we're to get really pedantic.

Luke Webster only recently retired from East Perth, which he did on the same day as former Carlton players Adam Pickering and Andrew Merrington. He had 4 knee reco's (3 on the left, 1 on the right) and the last one on the left was LARS surgery. It has held up for 2 years at WAFL level. Those who saw this years' VFL vs WAFL match would have noticed Webster captaining the WA side. At the time he pulled the pin at AFL level Webter said "the knee injuries have been a contributing factor in that I haven't been able to get out on the park but it's more that I feel that the club is going in a different direction with the young players coming through and I don't want to be in their way"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:13 am 
Bruce Doull

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/b ... 5948540212

Quote:
CARLTON coach Brett Ratten says pursuit of experience was the key factor in the club's coaching overhaul.

Alan Richardson, Gavin Brown and John Barker have all joined the Blues in the off-season.

Ratten credited the influence of former assistants Matthew Lappin and Brett Montgomery and development coaches David Teague and Robert Harvey, but said the time for change had come.

"I think the only change we made in three years was Gavin Crosisca, so we've just really grown the group over my time as coach," Ratten said yesterday.

"This year we wanted to get a bit more experience around and probably just the change in some of the thinking because we've had much the same crew for three years.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/blues-after-old-heads/story-e6frf9jf-1225948540212

Liked Browns` comment "I had been there for 26 years, which was such a hell of a long time," he said. Sounds like Pentridge.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:46 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Princes Park Whistler wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/blues-after-old-heads/story-e6frf9jf-1225948540212

Liked Browns` comment "I had been there for 26 years, which was such a hell of a long time," he said. Sounds like Pentridge.

:mad: That's insulting. Nothing like it!!! One place is full of toothless criminal bogans and the other ...... BOOM BOOM!!!

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:59 am 
Geoff Southby

Why has the club decided now that Ratten needs to be surrounded by more experienced Assistants? I would have thought the time he most needed to have experienced heads in the box with him was 3 years ago...

Instead, the club gave him Montgomery, Harvey, Lappin and Teague (nothing personal against those guys, but they were all new to coaching at the time). For 3 years, I've been wondering why the club wouldn't surround an inexperienced coach like Ratten with established Assistants. Riley is really the only experienced Assistant that Ratten has had with him in the last 3 years. Compare that to the team of Assistants that Hird will have in his first year of coaching...

There was probably commercial reasons at play (eg. we might not have had the dollars to lure experienced assistants from another club at the time? perhaps it's easier to draw experienced coaches to your club when the coach is in the last year of his contract, rather than the first?), but I find it strange that it's taken until Ratten has about 70 games coaching under his belt before the club acknowledges that he needs more Assistants with experience at other AFL clubs...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:51 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

aboynamedsue wrote:
Why has the club decided now that Ratten needs to be surrounded by more experienced Assistants? I would have thought the time he most needed to have experienced heads in the box with him was 3 years ago...

Instead, the club gave him Montgomery, Harvey, Lappin and Teague (nothing personal against those guys, but they were all new to coaching at the time). For 3 years, I've been wondering why the club wouldn't surround an inexperienced coach like Ratten with established Assistants. Riley is really the only experienced Assistant that Ratten has had with him in the last 3 years. Compare that to the team of Assistants that Hird will have in his first year of coaching...

There was probably commercial reasons at play (eg. we might not have had the dollars to lure experienced assistants from another club at the time? perhaps it's easier to draw experienced coaches to your club when the coach is in the last year of his contract, rather than the first?), but I find it strange that it's taken until Ratten has about 70 games coaching under his belt before the club acknowledges that he needs more Assistants with experience at other AFL clubs...

These new appointments bring with them knowledge and strategies gained from Collingwood, Essendon*, Hawthorn and St.Kilda.
I can only assume the club felt the need to boost a coaching department which last year, in my opinion, was found out to be strategically lightweight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:17 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I agree with that....Hird has Bomber....Buckley has Malthouse; which begs the question....who'll get the accolades when either of those teams have a good win?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

I honestly don't think Malthouse's ego will let him work at collingwood while someone else is in the senior coaching position. So I don't reckon Buckley will have him (don't think he needs him either, to be honest).

From the outside, it looks like we've really strengthened the panel. But yeah, I reckon Ratten wasn't given a whole heap of support before now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

These new appointments bring with them knowledge and strategies gained from Collingwood, Essendon*, Hawthorn and St.Kilda.
I can only assume the club felt the need to boost a coaching department which last year, in my opinion, was found out to be strategically lightweight.

I don't disagree with the appointments. I'm just not sure why they waited for 3 years before deciding our coaching staff was light on for experience.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Wasn't really the club's choice though they obviously needed to approve it at board level.

Ratten decided he wanted more experience in the box. Mature decision from him IMO - catch 22 though - without more experience the greater the chance of being fired because of us performing badly, if we do perform badly, ready made senior assistant coaches waiting in the wings.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:49 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

aboynamedsue wrote:
Rexy wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I don't disagree with the appointments. I'm just not sure why they waited for 3 years before deciding our coaching staff was light on for experience.

I'm not sure why so many inexperienced coaches were appointed to begin with, especially considering the young list we had assembled. It's another in a long line of questionable decisions by those in charge during the decade of darkness.

Moving on though, with these recent appointments and taking special interest in the wide role and responsibility Alan Richardson has apparently been given, I get the impression Ratts' role is now more of a director of coaching role like Malthouse at Collingwood.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 80  Next