Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:57 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Quote:
Indeed. The rebirth came on the back of a man who was able to instill some confidence and process off field, and a raft of young kids who started to make an impact on the field, yielding some results.

The question in my mind is are we doing everything we can to set us up for a sustained period of excellence AND win Premierships AND become an off-field powerhouse (membership, financial, culture etc). Look at the previous Premiers and see how they got that so right - Brisbane, Sydney, Geelong and Collingwood. Hawthorn made difficult, major decisions on and off the field, much initially driven by a board member (Dunstall). It included a change of president, change of coach (with thorough selection process) and major financial initiatives that boosted coffers and membership.

I think what Josh is pointing out very strongly is what a lot of us have been saying on here for a while, that the systems we need to become a powerhouse are not where they need to be (eg the process that gave Ratten the job, twice extending Ratten's contract when it wasn't necessary, the process that would have given Voss the job had he wanted it, appointing a coaching panel with mostly no experience, giving favour to ex-Carlton people (look at Geelong's appointment of Scott, being a favourite son was irrelevant) etc). At the end of the day, it is the Board which is resposible for those decisions. Even if Swann makes a decision himself, the Board still needs to ratify such appointments. Had the Board not prematurely extended Ratten's contract, he almost certainly wouldn't be coach going into 2011. That says something.

Josh's passion comes from his frustration at what he sees as the shortcomings at the Club that have yet to be addressed. Ditto Synbad. I have always found Josh to be a very rational, reasoned poster. His passion and frustration is much more evident of late, and seems to have aroused the ire of some on here. I think I understand where that frustration is coming from, for I too share it. It is the knowledge that we have a golden opportunity over the next 5-8 years to win a Premiership, hopefully more than one. But we need to do everything right to make that happen, on field and off. If we don't get the right decision makers in place, to drive this Club the way it needs to be driven, we will turn around in 10 years time and be shattered that we had some of the best talent in the competition but couldn't win a flag. My father, who has been watching Carlton play for 70 years, does not believe we have the right people in place, starting with the President.

It is absolutely imperative NOW that we have the right people making the right decisions and implementing the right processes. There is an urgency now that wasn't there 5 years ago because now is the time we need to be capitalising and winning Premierships. I do not believe that Kernahan is the right person to be President, and I have stated that numnerous times on this forum since I joined in its previous incarnation. I have no idea about the rest of the indivuduals on the Board, other than it seems there are too many on it. But the Board as a whole has endorsed a number of decisions that I think were not in the best interest of the Club. Recent appointments of assistant coaches are IMHO much better decisions, so hopefully the Board is learning. But we no longer have 5 years to learn and get it right, we must get it right now.

As for the coach, this has been debated at length. I haven't seen anything in 3 years that tells me he has what it takes to get us to be a serious contended. I hope that changes. But right now, I have more confidence in what Melbourne is doing on and off field to win a Premiership and set themselves up, than what we are.

This is my view. It mirrors Josh's view, and Synbad's view, and the views of many others on here. My frustration is growing rapidly, because I don't want us to muck up a golden opportunity. It seems to me that Josh has the same frustration.

I don't think I need to say any more- many thanks for that summation mate it is spot on. Gerry I also thank you for your input.
There are a few in this thread who have offered snide one- liners and not much depth at all. They know who they are. Remind me of bogan footy dads at the local Under 9's. Learn to correlate your arguments and for them in a rational manner. You really aren't doing yourselves any favours.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:04 pm 
John Nicholls

Back on topic if we may....

Brenton Sanderson. Are we a chance? Do we have room for him? Would he want to come to us? There is some suggestion he may end up at Collingwood but with Buckley taking over and having senior coaching aspirations of his own, surely Collingwood wouldn't fit the direction he wants to go in?

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:07 pm 
Robert Walls

I reckon with his experience he'd have plenty offer phoenix.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:10 pm 
Ken Hands

He's apparently pretty highly rated. I'd be happy to have him on board. Depends if we have a spot left in the system for him. Or if by including him we can shuffle positions more to each coach's strength.

Love to get another supposably high-quality individual involved in the club, but only as long as we can utilise him. Don't want too many cooks spoiling the brock.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:10 pm 
Robert Walls

I'm enjoying the discussion about the functioning of the board and presidency and coaching staff, but I'm not sure opinions are simply black and white. There's many shades of grey in what I think functions and what others think doesn't.
That's healthy. Who know's who is right?

I'm not sure calling posters bogans etc helps the argument any more than what you are actually railing against Josh.

keep up the spirit I say, and argue your point. There's no right or wrong until history judges it so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:17 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Wild Blue Yonder wrote:
There's no right or wrong until history judges it so.

+1 :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

This thread is the very reason I am known to but a handful of posters on this forum. Unfortunately, many of you think this forum is a representation of the Carlton Football Club. It's not. The Carlton Football Club has 40,000+ members. This site has around 1,700 who have posted 1 or more times.

It's mid-October. Need I say more.

Last edited by DocSherrin III on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'VE HAD A BEER WITH DOC SHERRIN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:
Considering that the assistant coaches have direct input into our players' development I'd hope a rigorous interview process has been the policy all along.

I would not think for a minute that Richardson had to apply for the job and was judged against other candidates through an interview process. He would have been head hunted, this is the role, we want you, do you want us?
That's the process.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:47 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

woof wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Considering that the assistant coaches have direct input into our players' development I'd hope a rigorous interview process has been the policy all along.

I would not think for a minute that Richardson had to apply for the job and was judged against other candidates through an interview process. He would have been head hunted, this is the role, we want you, do you want us?
That's the process.

The same process that delivered Pagan and would've delivered Voss.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Richardson (Development & Strategy & Opposition)
Brown (Backline)
Riley (Midfield)
Barker (Forwards)
Capuano (Rucks)

Then there's all the fitness gurus and development academy....what else do we need?

That looks good to me.

I believe with or wothout the above changes to the coaching panel, I reckon our group would once more improve another 5%.
What I'm hoping with the new voices is that the players improve another 5% because of this.
What I expect will happen is that all the new coaches will add value to other lines other than the line they have been employed to coach & develop.

Furthermore the new voices will help us a bit when we play against Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon*, as well as help us adopt some of the successful tactics, just as will Laidler from Geelong and less so from Collins coming from Richmond.

Now Ratts is going to also grow with the new inclusions.

I can't see anything but positives moving forward.

I'm sure we haven't lost ground, or our way in comparison to another cellar dweller on the rise in Melbourne. In fact I see similarities and we're a couple years ahead of them.

We are making ground, and we're a very young group who have tasted finals 2 years running. Not bad for a bunch of kids.

As for Sanderson coming on board...I don't think there's anymore room.

I bet we make the finals and scare the top 4 teams of 2010 next year. I'm expecting Top 4; we're after Footscray, St Kilda or Geelongs spot.

They know we're coming and so say all of us....don't we?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:53 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Not that I would know, but who'd be better Sanderson or Riley?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:
woof wrote:
Rexy wrote:

That's the process.

The same process that delivered Pagan and would've delivered Voss.

The same one that delivered Swan or Cordy, you target who you want and you see if they are interested, if they are they get the job. It is not always right but it is how it works.
Process is such a bullshit word.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

:lol:

Have to respectfully disagree woof. Due diligence, dot the i's cross the t's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

I reckon a top 4 spot is there for the taking heres why

Geelong- After a long period of success and after the unheavals of the summer will suffer a let down and fall to the lower reaches of the eight

Footscray- Close but no cigar, have reached thier peak and ready to slide down the ladder

Collingwood- Will suffer a massive premiership hangover, also last year of the Malthouse/ Buckly transfer will lead to instability

I think St Kilda will be thereabouts but two years into a GF and lost both times will play on thier minds.

L.M 35-06

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:10 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

I agree BM. This is our moment. I reckon top 4 has to be the aim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
I'VE HAD A BEER WITH DOC SHERRIN

... :lol: ...seeing as that beer was with Geoff Southby as well, always nice of you to remember CK!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:19 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Siegfried wrote:
Indeed. The rebirth came on the back of a man who was able to instill some confidence and process off field, and a raft of young kids who started to make an impact on the field, yielding some results.

The question in my mind is are we doing everything we can to set us up for a sustained period of excellence AND win Premierships AND become an off-field powerhouse (membership, financial, culture etc). Look at the previous Premiers and see how they got that so right - Brisbane, Sydney, Geelong and Collingwood. Hawthorn made difficult, major decisions on and off the field, much initially driven by a board member (Dunstall). It included a change of president, change of coach (with thorough selection process) and major financial initiatives that boosted coffers and membership.

I think what Josh is pointing out very strongly is what a lot of us have been saying on here for a while, that the systems we need to become a powerhouse are not where they need to be (eg the process that gave Ratten the job, twice extending Ratten's contract when it wasn't necessary, the process that would have given Voss the job had he wanted it, appointing a coaching panel with mostly no experience, giving favour to ex-Carlton people (look at Geelong's appointment of Scott, being a favourite son was irrelevant) etc). At the end of the day, it is the Board which is resposible for those decisions. Even if Swann makes a decision himself, the Board still needs to ratify such appointments. Had the Board not prematurely extended Ratten's contract, he almost certainly wouldn't be coach going into 2011. That says something.

Josh's passion comes from his frustration at what he sees as the shortcomings at the Club that have yet to be addressed. Ditto Synbad. I have always found Josh to be a very rational, reasoned poster. His passion and frustration is much more evident of late, and seems to have aroused the ire of some on here. I think I understand where that frustration is coming from, for I too share it. It is the knowledge that we have a golden opportunity over the next 5-8 years to win a Premiership, hopefully more than one. But we need to do everything right to make that happen, on field and off. If we don't get the right decision makers in place, to drive this Club the way it needs to be driven, we will turn around in 10 years time and be shattered that we had some of the best talent in the competition but couldn't win a flag. My father, who has been watching Carlton play for 70 years, does not believe we have the right people in place, starting with the President.

It is absolutely imperative NOW that we have the right people making the right decisions and implementing the right processes. There is an urgency now that wasn't there 5 years ago because now is the time we need to be capitalising and winning Premierships. I do not believe that Kernahan is the right person to be President, and I have stated that numnerous times on this forum since I joined in its previous incarnation. I have no idea about the rest of the indivuduals on the Board, other than it seems there are too many on it. But the Board as a whole has endorsed a number of decisions that I think were not in the best interest of the Club. Recent appointments of assistant coaches are IMHO much better decisions, so hopefully the Board is learning. But we no longer have 5 years to learn and get it right, we must get it right now.

As for the coach, this has been debated at length. I haven't seen anything in 3 years that tells me he has what it takes to get us to be a serious contended. I hope that changes. But right now, I have more confidence in what Melbourne is doing on and off field to win a Premiership and set themselves up, than what we are.

This is my view. It mirrors Josh's view, and Synbad's view, and the views of many others on here. My frustration is growing rapidly, because I don't want us to muck up a golden opportunity. It seems to me that Josh has the same frustration.

THat is not saying anything at all. It is just your opinion not fact.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

Josh Kaplan wrote:
I agree BM. This is our moment. I reckon top 4 has to be the aim

Me too. Some years are easier than others. Although we won more games in 2009 than 2010, we probably performed better overall in 2010, as it was a tougher year (no clubs tanking, the established contenders thereabouts, a few teams rising quickly).

Next year looks to be an easier year. Hard to believe that St Kilda and Bulldogs and Geelong can hang on for ever (lots of their better players moving on or coming to an end).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BlueMark wrote:
Also do not forget it was not that long ago that many were keen for us to move to the Gold Coast in oreder to 'save' the club.

many? nonsense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 80  Next