Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:09 am 
Rod Ashman

I wonder if Eddie Betts is under consideration?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:27 am 
Bruce Doull

Hamish Hartlett being mentioned for a development role.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Donstuie wrote:
Hamish Hartlett being mentioned for a development role.
For him or for us??

Go Blues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:04 am 
Harry Vallence

James Kelly now gone to Geelong as well.

Gee we might have to get Amos and Stanton back at this rate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:27 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What are people's thoughts on Ben Hart?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 0ac6838d71

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:29 am 
Rod Ashman

I don't know much, but I know I love you... whoops, got sucked into a sludge-filled 80s rabbit hole...
But I know there are plenty of good assistants around. No need to panic.

Sam Edmund just casually threw in Dean Solomon as a potential assistant for Carlton...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

I’m not convinced Solly is the type of guy that we’re looking for. As long as I’ve known him, he’s lead by example, not instruction. Plus, I just can’t see him uprooting the family for $150k.

One bloke that is already in Melbourne and has been outside of footy since covid is Dale Morris. The Doggies have at least two vacancies to fill with King & Hansen on the move, so perhaps he’s earmarked for one of them, but we’d be mad not to ask the question of him, even in a development capacity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
I don't know much, but I know I love you... whoops, got sucked into a sludge-filled 80s rabbit hole...
But I know there are plenty of good assistants around. No need to panic.

Sam Edmund just casually threw in Dean Solomon as a potential assistant for Carlton...

Did he indicate any efforts or was he just throwing up a name?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

What does an Assistant Coach do? Legit question, I just don't know what their job entails. What makes a good assistant coach?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:24 pm 
Trevor Keogh

The salient point is that why would an ambitious assistant coach join a new head coach?...Why - if you backed yourself in you'd have a clearer path to recognition by joining an existing or embattled coach than a new one where your ideas/achievements likely would be conflated with the new coach's rise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Heavs wrote:
What does an Assistant Coach do? Legit question, I just don't know what their job entails. What makes a good assistant coach?

Just my opinion based on a bit of knowledge, clubs mostly work with individual lines (backs, mids, forwards). They'll do game reviews and opponent assessment for upcoming games. Code gameday footage and hold one on one meetings to review with the players.
Some clubs do it differently and run offensive/defensive coaches where they manage the offensive and defensive movement with all players (not just nominated lines).
Some manage stoppages/set plays/kickouts etc.
The soft cap affects the numbers but ideally, I like line coaches, a set play coach and an innovation coach. Someone with lots of alternative ideas. The coaching group can sort through the 90% of overly radical ideas that wouldn't work and can channel the 10% that are worth consideration. You need an eccentric character with a good idea about the sport but an imagination is gold. I love this idea. Innovation and out of the box thinking should be embraced but it rarely is.
AFL coaches are often very conservative in their approach and their idea of innovation extends to language, instead of embracing imagination. That's what made Clarko such a good coach. He embraced alternative thinking but the game bought him back to the pack eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
Heavs wrote:

Just my opinion based on a bit of knowledge, clubs mostly work with individual lines (backs, mids, forwards). They'll do game reviews and opponent assessment for upcoming games. Code gameday footage and hold one on one meetings to review with the players.
Some clubs do it differently and run offensive/defensive coaches where they manage the offensive and defensive movement with all players (not just nominated lines).
The soft cap affects the numbers but ideally, I like line coaches, a set play coach and an innovation coach. Someone with lots of alternative ideas. The coaching group can sort through the 90% of overly radical ideas that wouldn't work and can channel the 10% that are worth consideration. You need an eccentric character with a good idea about the sport but an imagination is gold. I love this idea. Innovation and out of the box thinking should be embraced but it rarely is.
AFL coaches are often very conservative in their approach and their idea of innovation extends to language, instead of embracing imagination. That's what made Clarko such a good coach. He embraced alternative thinking but the game bought him back to the pack eventually.

Thanks for the response. I guess my next question then is why does an assistant coach always need to be an ex-player (not aimed at you specifically -suppirters in general)?
And the preference a 'good' or name ex-player? Surely getting in stats nerds who can spot the trends should be priority yeah? Or is that just too scary?

All these folk love to quote moneyball but I bet none of them have read it.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:49 pm 
John Nicholls

Wait, Moneyball was a book??????????????????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
What are people's thoughts on Ben Hart?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 0ac6838d71

I really liked what Carlton were doing precovid and to a lesser extent. the soft salary restrictions.

Had Longmuir as Senior Assistant under Teague and ben hart as developing coach under Josh Fraser.

Plus sports psychs, dieticians... we were surrounding players with good coaches, despite question marls on the Head Coach's tactical ability.

Quality coaches is a huge assistance for developing players.

There's a lot of good coaching required to expedite the players from their slumber (and low standards at carlton), and I'm expecting Vossy to teach players like Dow and LOB, and who knows, maybe SPS how to use their bodies to be harder at the contest and not get hurt. Its a skill. Its in Vossy's interest too to fast track these kids oover summer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jezzarules wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
So, who do we think Voss will actually get for the remaining three or four assistant roles?
Feels like Lappin might be one of them.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sp ... 2191a81b90

Damn.

First Tapping to Effendopes* and now Lappin.

A lot of head hunting for good assistants going on.

I can't remember another season when so many assistants were moved on or moved at their own free will to other clubs.

Probably because we haven't been looking ? ;)

:grin: Im sure youre right we've ben distracted right up till the new coach was appointed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:00 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Blue Vain wrote:
A bit left field but it's a shame we couldn't consider Daisy Pearce.
She sees the game really well, communicates it in simple terms and she appears to be a top shelf person.
Unfortunately AFLW lists are settled otherwise it would be good to get her across to play for our AFLW team and then move into assisting with the mens team.

Agree. Definitely the first female to coach in Mens footy one day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

wasthesonofapreacherman wrote:
The salient point is that why would an ambitious assistant coach join a new head coach?...Why - if you backed yourself in you'd have a clearer path to recognition by joining an existing or embattled coach than a new one where your ideas/achievements likely would be conflated with the new coach's rise.

Con flated: a Greek guy who merges 2 voices?

On a serious note, its a good argument.

Beggers can't be choosers. There is a soft cap to consider, and the current "covid" cuts across the board are not going to last another year.

Best to have a leg in than a leg out this year, because I expect the number of assistants will boom next year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Heavs wrote:

Great summation.

Thanks BV :thumbsup:

Carlton has good revenues and is out of debt. There's a soft cap this year, but we are keen to invest in Footy Dept. Would be great to find a way to have a Director of Innovation, not part of the Footy dept soft cap. There must be a way. We need to look at list, the individual strengths, current game plan and alternatives in a Strategic Dept.

I worked in a Strategic dept once in the Corporate world as I was climbing the ladder. Talk about expediting a career and changing ones whole perception of the industry one is involved in.

Would help targeting opposition peripheral players...I know its doubling up, but an extra set of eyes and ears.....anything extra is the 1% advantage we need anywhere we can get imo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Heavs wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Heavs wrote:

Thanks for the response. I guess my next question then is why does an assistant coach always need to be an ex-player (not aimed at you specifically -suppirters in general)?
And the preference a 'good' or name ex-player? Surely getting in stats nerds who can spot the trends should be priority yeah? Or is that just too scary?

All these folk love to quote moneyball but I bet none of them have read it.

Not so silly Heavs.

This is what I was alluding to in s strategic dept.

I met Doc Sherrin, and in contact with him recently which was nice. I liked him, but did question why such a good brain would show signs of immaturity in the cyber world of footy forums. I always thought he'd be a great mind in s strategic position at Carlton, like the one I'm pitching in the above posts.

Hey Doc, good chance you're reading this, and if you are, I'm not pissing in your pocket. It's a genuine belief I've held since I read your early posts. I fel the same way about a few others here at TC.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'm the same. There are people here that are really @#$%&! clever in game analysis. BV is the same. But most clubs only employ former players as assistants. I just don't understand why nobody has taken a flier on someone outside the system.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 80  Next