Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
I've been very positive about Sayers but if we put together a Dads Army coaching panel, I'll be extremely pissed.

Wait - are we talking about the panel to decide the senior coach, or the actual coaching panel for next year?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Either but it appears to be about coach selection. Healy and Williams are legends but what would either know about modern structures and strategies?
If a young potential coach comes in and tells them about strategies, do you think they'll be up to making informed decisions?
I dont.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

Assuming it's very likely to be coach selection - I'm largely nonplussed with it because it doesn't appear to be a legitimate process, and that Sayers made his mind up on Lyon weeks ago.

Absolutely agree on all other points though.

Jaymie Graham confirmed leaving WCE - hopefully someone we're able to snap up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:51 pm 
Horrie Clover

From the picture, isn't that Liberatore? He won a Brownlow didn't he?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

as did Gary Dempsey...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:38 am 
Rod Ashman

Dad's army coaching panel? I think we'll be fine with Williams, Healy, Liddle and Lloyd, and I suspect another more recent player.

Collingwood's sub-committee included: Luke Ball, Graeme Wright, the CEO Mark Anderson, Paul Licuria and another Board member.
Healy is as in touch with modern footy as anyone, and has a pretty good network to bounce his thoughts off.

And in this case, I don't think it is going to be an exhaustive process working through 100 applicants. Its going to start with a short-list and already includes a preferred candidate.
In my opinion, the list will include Lyon, Pyke, both Scott brothers, Michael Voss and maybe Adam Kingsley as the one rookie.

Of those, I don't reckon Voss will agree to go through the process given what happened last time and also just now with Collingwood, and Kingsley probably won't either as he won't want to tarnish his reputation by being rejected twice if he thinks Lyon is a done deal. I know Pyke pulled out from the Pies process but I suspect he did that when he realised he was not in the final two...
Chris Scott depends on what happens in the next 2weeks with the Cats but I doubt he will be in the market unless they lose this week which is difficult to see happening. And even then, it would only be a maybe.

Kind of narrows it down to Lyon, Pyke and Brad Scott. (If Clarkson turns out to be available after all, it won't much matter who is on the selection panel...)
The coaching sub-committee will then need to hear about the coaches plans, make an assessment on the style of coach required for our list and culture, and then conduct due-diligence.
Lyon and B Scott both good, hard and prickly coaches with some behind the scenes question marks about their management styles.
Pyke seems good but obviously also carrying some baggage from the Adelaide boot camp.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:45 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Healy is a no …

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

17th Premiership wrote:
Healy is as in touch with modern footy as anyone, and has a pretty good network to bounce his thoughts off.

I'm not sure how someone who hasn't been in a football club for 20+ years can be in touch with modern footy as anyone? :?
Justin Leppitsch has been out for less than 12 months and believes he would have fallen behind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

Agreed, Healy was an odd suggestion in some ways. I mean, it's refreshing to see a media type put their hand up to a conflict, but I also think it's a bit of a ruse for "WTF would I know anyway" and/or having to be held accountable in 24 months when we sakc the coach.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

Yes, when is a NO, "I don't have the skills" versus "I don't want to be associated at all with your club". ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

I'm not sure how someone who hasn't been in a football club for 20+ years can be in touch with modern footy as anyone? :?
Justin Leppitsch has been out for less than 12 months and believes he would have fallen behind.

Gerard 'calls' too much footy as it is because his job demands he does. His opinions are just gut feel, like a lot of footy watchers and callers. He looks at a few stats as everyone of us do, and collates something for his show every Monday night and that's about it.

When footy is not on he's happy to paint his own house, hammer a few nails and he's got access to plenty od dosh. Remember the contract he got from Edelsten to join the Swans in 1986, well that alone, back in the day, bought him a the huge farm on Sandy rd at the back of rye .. that was in 1988.

He isn't involved in any club footy, let alone deeply involved to know the modern coaching nuances.

We don't need Healy to pick us a coach. I'm glad Diesel is at the helm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Harvey leaves Collingwood - https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 09be990898

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:16 pm 
Horrie Clover

Id rather we not go to an external independent team to hire our next coach.

The last mob included Dunstall and hired Brendan Bolton.

The abject failing there was realising which club they were hiring for.

Ergo, it should be insiders only so they can be held accountable when we sack the next guy, and yes, I will be starting a topic to sack the next coach on the day he is appointed, and we'll see how long it runs until its the correct outcome. My bet is 3 years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:56 am 
Ken Hunter

I think the hiring of Bolton was good, it was always going to be finite given the stripping back of players and his willingness to play the kids. Doesn't mean it wasn't time for him to go, it was, just not sure how well that was handled. Not sure of the "process" to hire to Teague was ever a real thing or just window dressing - not that I'll ever know, I just wonder about it given Teague, I believe, struggled to develop this team. Happy for a strong panel, some Carlton, some not, to look at who we are hiring (or is it again more window dressing while we get Lyon ready (read Lyon, Malthouse and Pagan?).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:46 am 
Rod Ashman

Dunstall was also supposedly the key person who got Clarkson over the line at Hawthorn when Dermott and others wanted Gary Ayres.

I don't believe Healy just rocks up to his show and gives us his gut feel. I believe he speaks to a lot of people at footy clubs and who are close to the game and develops what appears to be 'gut feel' from that. He was the first person to highlight Clarko's Cluster and also what West Coast was doing. Amongst others.

Having said that, I don't really think that the composition of our selection committee makes a huge difference, although I do like the idea of making sure whoever makes the call is accountable for it down the track.

I wonder whether Healy doesn't want to be involved because he believes we have already decided and not really genuine about running a proper process?

I think Collingwood has clearly gone through a proper process b/c the outcome is not what was forecast at the beginning. However, they have had 2 coaches in 20 years. We've had a 6 in the same time. And we've appointed 3 rookies and two Premiership coaches in that time. Leads me to think we are going for an experienced coach who still has a fire in his belly - ie. Ross Lyon or Don Pyke or maybe Brad Scott.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
I wonder whether Healy doesn't want to be involved because he believes we have already decided and not really genuine about running a proper process?

He has said himself it's because he's already decided and said we should appoint Lyon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

Far too many public rejections for my liking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:16 pm 
Horrie Clover

The coaching Selection panel should be made up of following people
Parkin, Brittan, Pagan, malthouse and Bolton

Ratten is excused as currently coaching saints and teage for obvious reasons

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

Crusader wrote:
Far too many public rejections for my liking.

There's no need to go bringing my love life into this

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 80  Next