Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
How does the club go about recruiting assistant coaches without knowing who will be in the top job?

The only way this turns around is if there is a senior coach out there with his own secret network of assistants, just waiting for the trusted leader to blow into the conch shell and cry “COACHES, ASSEMBLE!!!”

It’s a f-ing disaster.

Its not a disaster, its a decision that needs to be made for the better.

Spot on about network of Assistants. Lyon has that. But his past isn't helpful for him to get another senior coaching job. I think we are becoming a values based club (as we all want) and with carlton Respects values....you know the rest.

There's a list of 4 potential coaches, we all know. I think the AFL Commission knows that too. The net is being cast wider, and a formal panel and formal interview process is highly likely this time. did I say highly likely? After all, there's the young blood coming through the ranks who can apply too: Yze, Caracella......

Back to this thread, the next coach will have a plan re Assistants or not. It may determine who next coach is. Power will stay and O'Keefe is probably a keeper in a development role.

If Lyon had a network of coaching colleagues, he’d have a coaching job. He’s a radio commentator now.

His ceiling has been lowered to Senior Assistant, at best.

Maybe.
I think its much deeper than that.
Since his controversial exit after an issue with a woman at Freo, he has been banished. Not because he's a bad coach. Too hot to touch.
But the landscape has changed, and time does heel wounds, but with Carlton Respects and amendments to the Club's Constitution proposed, it may be too hard to take him on at Carlton.

Lyon adapts to his teams strengths and abilities. He is a Master Coach imo.

Yes he's a master at defensive coaching. Known for his brilliant defensive mindset since way back in 2005 with the Premiership Swans.
At Saints with Gherig at FF and Reiwoldt at CHF, he brainwashed defense into the team, but had a real attacking game plan. Gherig kicked over 100 goals in a season!
At Freo, he didn't have those forward guns and adapted a more defensive game plan.

He coached both of those teams to the big dance, so he's pretty high end.
Only a bad bounce of the ball stopped him being a Premiership Coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:03 am 
Wayne Johnston

People make bad choices all the time, I don’t know the details of what happened with Ross Lyon but if there is no path to redemption then why would anyone admit to any fault ever?

With strong PR support Carlton could take the lead on this matter and show a way forward for everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:45 am 
Craig Bradley

I’m aware of his resume. I’m suggesting nobody wants to work with him, neither above nor below him in the food chain. There would be too much ‘opportunity’ in his appointment, be it him usurping a fresh face in the top job, an overpaid assistant from underneath, or a newly-minted Head of Football looking to flex.

Which brings us back to the f-ing disaster. Everyone that’s good already has a job with someone else & we’re facing the prospect of replacing a full set of coaches - probably half a dozen appointments in total.

How many Playfairs, McGoverns, Martins & Williams’ can we pay before finding one Saad??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
I’m aware of his resume. I’m suggesting nobody wants to work with him, neither above nor below him in the food chain. There would be too much ‘opportunity’ in his appointment, be it him usurping a fresh face in the top job, an overpaid assistant from underneath, or a newly-minted Head of Football looking to flex.

Which brings us back to the f-ing disaster. Everyone that’s good already has a job with someone else & we’re facing the prospect of replacing a full set of coaches - probably half a dozen appointments in total.

How many Playfairs, McGoverns, Martins & Williams’ can we pay before finding one Saad??

Gotcha.

Yeah, the poisoned challice.

We need a turn of good luck asap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What have I missed with this Ross Lyon and this "issue" with a woman? Is it fact that was widely reported and I either forgot or never read about it to begin with?
Or is it rumour?
Or is it "fact" in that it actually happened but swept under the carpet and as such not reported by the media?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
What have I missed with this Ross Lyon and this "issue" with a woman? Is it fact that was widely reported and I either forgot or never read about it to begin with?
Or is it rumour?
Or is it "fact" in that it actually happened but swept under the carpet and as such not reported by the media?

Lyon accuse of making comments in front of witnesses at club xmas party to a 2 month pregnant staffer that he liked her "budding boobs". Must have been more to it than that.

AFL Commission's integrity department found no sanctions required, despite the payment of six figure "hush money". The public ridicule followed the AFL commission's handling of the investigation. McLachlan said something that their only job was to resolve the problem. Yeah right, so why do they interfere in everything connected with the game?

Interesting to note that confidentiality clauses in sexual harassment cases are a matter of great controversy and they are banned in some parts of the world.

Shamefully the club or the league briefed journalists that the woman would wear brief clothes at work but was dressed that night. As if what she wears matters.

I tell you, this AFL Commission will one day be exposed as The Boys Club.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Or is it rumour?

Lyon accuse of making comments in front of witnesses at club xmas party to a 2 month pregnant staffer that he liked her "budding boobs". Must have been more to it than that.

AFL Commission's integrity department found no sanctions required, despite the payment of six figure "hush money". The public ridicule followed the AFL commission's handling of the investigation. McLachlan said something that their only job was to resolve the problem. Yeah right, so why do they interfere in everything connected with the game?

Interesting to note that confidentiality clauses in sexual harassment cases are a matter of great controversy and they are banned in some parts of the world.

Shamefully the club or the league briefed journalists that the woman would wear brief clothes at work but was dressed that night. As if what she wears matters.

Thanks Bondi.

That is pretty disgraceful

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:09 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/former ... 39498z.amp

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... babbfbc18b

Quote:
“Some might say I’m talking about a former teammate, but I bumped into Jaeger O’Meara when he was leaving the Suns. He said the best coach he ever had was Dean Solomon.

“The current players there say the best coach there is Dean Solomon for his relationships, his ability to develop players.

“How have the Suns come to this decision instead of listening to their players?

“He must have had a falling out with Stuart Dew or Stuey Dew doesn’t want him as part of his plans. No wonder they’ve fallen away in the last few weeks when players start to see their best coach is getting let go.”

Quote:
Solomon’s ex-Essendon teammate Andrew Welsh took it one step further, questioning whether Dew felt “threatened” by Solomon.

“This smells a bit for mine. Perhaps a senior coach seeing how good Solomon is and is threatened but will hide behind a soft cap decision,” wrote Welsh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:07 pm 
formerly King Kenny

No wonder they’ve fallen away #donk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

jezzarules wrote:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/former-docker-dean-solomon-reveals-future-afl-plans-after-honest-conversation-with-adam-simpson-ng-b881739498z.amp

Quote:
“Some might say I’m talking about a former teammate, but I bumped into Jaeger O’Meara when he was leaving the Suns. He said the best coach he ever had was Dean Solomon.

“The current players there say the best coach there is Dean Solomon for his relationships, his ability to develop players.

“He must have had a falling out with Stuart Dew or Stuey Dew doesn’t want him as part of his plans. No wonder they’ve fallen away in the last few weeks when players start to see their best coach is getting let go.”

Quote:
Solomon’s ex-Essendon teammate Andrew Welsh took it one step further, questioning whether Dew felt “threatened” by Solomon.

“This smells a bit for mine. Perhaps a senior coach seeing how good Solomon is and is threatened but will hide behind a soft cap decision,” wrote Welsh.

Best coach he ever had…

Big list to draw from. :donk:

Walked into another job, did he?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/former-docker-dean-solomon-reveals-future-afl-plans-after-honest-conversation-with-adam-simpson-ng-b881739498z.amp

Quote:

Quote:

Best coach he ever had…

Big list to draw from. :donk:

Walked into another job, did he?

With the soft cap stretching clubs, what choice does he have for a paid job at an AFL club?

He's alluding to Solomon being a good candidate for an Assistants role in 2022.

I know nothing. He might be good, he might not.

Have to wait and see who Buckley, Clarkson, Pyke or Voss want as their assistant at Carlton. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

Stanton gone

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/23/ ... nt-review/

No surprise really.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Or is it rumour?

I reckon a book might be written about the boys club .in the afl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:37 pm 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:

So it begins ... add value in 3 years ziltch !! Thank you for your service

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

azzablue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Or is it rumour?

I reckon a book might be written about the boys club .in the afl

:grin:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:13 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Lenny Hayes?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:23 am 
Ken Hunter

rhino27 wrote:

Thanks Bondi.

That is pretty disgraceful if accurately explained and not based on media supposition

Edited for accuracy.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Cazzesman wrote:
rhino27 wrote:

Thanks Bondi.

That is pretty disgraceful if accurately explained and not based on media supposition

Edited for accuracy.

Regards Cazzesman

Fair point Cazz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:31 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Amon Buchanan?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
rhino27 wrote:

Thanks Bondi.

Edited for accuracy.

Regards Cazzesman

True.

I'm a fan of Warner's book The Boys Club.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 80  Next