Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Imagine we get to the final game needing a win to make finals, and a club veteran sits on 299 games, battling for fitness and undeserving of a place in the team on merit. The coach is coaching for survival. Decisions, decisions.
This place would explode

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:08 pm 
Ken Hands

Blueman anyone

Bulldogs captain Steve Mortimer stood up to address his troops before they ran out. ''I'm a proud c---,'' he told them, ''I'm a winner, I wish myself a good g...ame, I wish everyone a good game. Let's get out there and f---ing bash them

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Imagine we get to the final game needing a win to make finals, and a club veteran sits on 299 games, battling for fitness and undeserving of a place in the team on merit. The coach is coaching for survival. Decisions, decisions.

Thankfully it won't come to that embarassing predicament. Port will put us out of contention in a fortnight.
Unless north beat tigers next week.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't want to make the 8 if we are just making up numbers. Make the 8 because you're a good team in form. So that means beating Port.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

The covid situation could really favour Vic teams in the finals this year. Anyway don't want to look too far ahead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:00 am 
Rod Ashman

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
He's on 298 now. So make him medi-sub the next two games and he gets to 300. If we're still in it with one round to go it's the best 23 and no sentiment is required.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:51 am 
Bruce Doull

We're still in it now though. So we should be naming our best team this week.

On form, he's not in it

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:54 am 
Banned

get him to 300 and if it comes down to last game then he shouldn't play.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:59 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
I don't want to make the 8 if we are just making up numbers.

I don't understand how finishing out of the finals is better than making it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:01 am 
Craig Bradley

Agree BV just getting there is an achievement but more importantly it would give our team a taste of finals experience but also a realisation that they are a different ball game

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:02 am 
Ken Hunter

Sneaking in and being lucky enough to play a) in Melbourne b) in front of a crowd
would be great for the team

But, won't happen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:15 am 
Bruce Doull

missnaut wrote:
Sneaking in and being lucky enough to play a) in Melbourne b) in front of a crowd
would be great for the team

Especially if it was against the Lions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:16 am 
Rod Ashman

Walsh wrote:
get him to 300 and if it comes down to last game then he shouldn't play.

If we’re in the 8 next week then we have to play our best and fittest available against Port. Lose and it’s a free hit to bring him in against GWS, win and?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:42 am 
Robert Walls

frank dardew wrote:
Agree BV just getting there is an achievement but more importantly it would give our team a taste of finals experience but also a realisation that they are a different ball game

Just playing the devils advocate here...we make the 8 and don't embarrass ourselves in the first final but lose

Could it continue to paper over cracks and lull us into believing we are better than we are...possibly doing more damage next year??

Or...just like we want players to earn their spot in the side so they are hungrier, would just missing out on the 8 make us reflect on a season of "what might have been"??? and make us hungrier and more driven next year?

If just missing out was the tough medicine we need, I'd take that option every day of the week...just my opinion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 am 
Harry Vallence

Sun will be an interesting challenge, unfortunately for us the game is in Melbourne , we should win.
As fir the last 2 games, Port’s Dixon , Ladhams & Lycett will be a vision as they rampage and they have skill at the feet of big men too.
GWS another tough game with Mummy mauling our youngsters, and stocked with
talent, hope we get these games ok. The absence of talented big men is glaring.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

99prelim wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

Just playing the devils advocate here...we make the 8 and don't embarrass ourselves in the first final but lose

Could it continue to paper over cracks and lull us into believing we are better than we are...possibly doing more damage next year??

Or...just like we want players to earn their spot in the side so they are hungrier, would just missing out on the 8 make us reflect on a season of "what might have been"??? and make us hungrier and more driven next year?

If just missing out was the tough medicine we need, I'd take that option every day of the week...just my opinion

We've had 20 years of missing out on the 8. That doesn't seem to have provided the required impetus.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:56 am 
Rod Ashman

99prelim wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

I think we know where the cracks are.

We can either be a glass half full or a glass half empty. Will sneaking into the finals give them the belief to go further next year?

Will missing out tell them that they will never be good enough and give us further years of mediocrity? I think we've had a number of years of that already.

Most of the game is won between the ears.

Last edited by malbi on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
I don't want to make the 8 if we are just making up numbers. Make the 8 because you're a good team in form. So that means beating Port.

It doesn't hurt.

A loss, if anything, would hurt them and inspire them to do better next year....I don't need to "imo" that comment either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

To make the 8 (which I doubt) would be an incredible feat given we were down for the count numerous times during the year.

On the flipside, it would show we are capable and have fixed up some of our weaknesses.

Beating Port would be the elusive scalp we have needed to prove to everyone we have got what it takes.

No one thinks we will based on what the Blues have delivered when they had to win games, hence its a game we can measure our progress against.

Firstly, lets hopet the team doesn't do what they did to Ratten against the Gold Coast back in 2012, when they needed the win to give us hope of finals, and failed with a miserable performance that stamped Ratten's papers.

One week at a time. Lets hope our team wins.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

malbi wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
He's on 298 now. So make him medi-sub the next two games and he gets to 300. If we're still in it with one round to go it's the best 23 and no sentiment is required.

Can't we just do what happens in local sport to qualify people for finals? You go back and cook the books in earlier rounds.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next