Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: The Backline
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:52 am 
Geoff Southby

Yes we have problems all over the ground but I've said it a thousand times defense wins premierships. I'm not blaming the backline for our losses but you need a solid consistent line up back there so they can gel together as a unit but instead we just stack the backline with whoever is not playing in the middle.

Our line up looked it's best in rd 1 and the first half of round 2 last year when Waite, Jamo and Thornon were all back there with Bower and Russell as support casts. When jamo got injured and Bower went on to Bradshaw he got smashed just like he did yesterday and any other time he has had to play on a big key forward. Not knocking Bower but he clearly isn't ready to play on the big boys yet and there is nothing wrong with that.

Watch the first half of the Lions game in rd 2 last year and see what a difference Waite in the back line makes. Thornton stood Brown, Jamo stood Bradshaw and Waite just cut everything off and then rebounded.

At the moment our back line of Jamo, Bower, Russell and any one of Joseph, Carrazzo, Walker, Gibbs, Scotland, Armfield is not working. Get the back line right and everything else will work itself out. Waite has to play there, it's where he played his best football last year and Thornton played his best footy last year next to him. Jamo is under less pressure with their support and Bower, Russell and Army can towel up the little guys.

Post subject: Re: The Backline
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:02 am 
Robert Walls

Joseph is not a fixed position defender - he was exposed one on one against Geelong when they moved Ablett to the forwardline (not that that is disgraceful) and has been exposed one on one by many opponents since.
He lacks the body and positional nous to go one on one when the ball is coming in.
He is a run with player at best - hassling and niggling and most importantly, getting led to the ball.

Needs a run in the Ants. If we lose to WCE I'd give Tuohy a run in the same posi.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 am 
Ken Hunter

Rohan Connelly singles out our backline as "really struggling"
Blues lacking the right stuff for finals bid
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 10g6r.html

Trouble is, we could do with Waite up forward as well. Can we clone him?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am 
Rod Ashman

missnaut wrote:

I remember the same debacle with big Lance a few years ago.

"GIBBS."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 am 
Ken Hunter

Captain Dan wrote:
missnaut wrote:

I remember the same debacle with big Lance a few years ago.

Speaking of big Lance, he was sitting a few rows behind me....Big is bloody right!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:13 am 
Geoff Southby

Wild Blue Yonder wrote:
Joseph is not a fixed position defender - he was exposed one on one against Geelong when they moved Ablett to the forwardline (not that that is disgraceful) and has been exposed one on one by many opponents since.
He lacks the body and positional nous to go one on one when the ball is coming in.
He is a run with player at best - hassling and niggling and most importantly, getting led to the ball.

Needs a run in the Ants. If we lose to WCE I'd give Tuohy a run in the same posi.

I don't get the whole Joseph to the back line thing, he plays his best footy in the middle as a tagger. He did a number on Ablett last year not Steve Johnson.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:17 am 
Geoff Southby

missnaut wrote:
Rohan Connelly singles out our backline as "really struggling"
Blues lacking the right stuff for finals bid
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 10g6r.html

Are we getting the best out of him up forward though? He doesn't take many big marks and he doesn't kick many goals. He's clearly played his best as a loose man in defense who can rebound.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:30 am 
Stephen Silvagni

He is averaging two goals a game this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:07 am 
Geoff Southby

verbs wrote:
He is averaging two goals a game this year.

I know even Betts averages more, time to move him down back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:17 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Thornton - slow, static, ordinary one on one, 'unacceptable' body language. Doesn't provide enough output.

Jamo - out of form, needs a spell in red.

Bower needs some continuity to regain his solid attacking form he's previously showed.

We have Bower Waite Hendo Walker who can rotate forward and back as KPPs and I'd stick Fisher in the goalsquare until Jamo regains form.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:22 am 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
Thornton - slow, static, ordinary one on one, 'unacceptable' body language. Doesn't provide enough output.

Bower needs some continuity to regain his solid attacking form he's previously showed.

We have Bower Waite Hendo Walker who can rotate forward and back as KPPs and I'd stick Fisher in the goalsquare until Jamo regains form.

Rotating the back line doesn't work, no one knows what the @#$%&! each other are gonna do because they're not familiar enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:32 am 
Stephen Silvagni

TheGame wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Rotating the back line doesn't work, no one knows what the !@#$%& each other are gonna do because they're not familiar enough.

Rotation happens quite often during a game depending on the opponents form and the position of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
TheGame wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Rotating the back line doesn't work, no one knows what the !@#$%& each other are gonna do because they're not familiar enough.

Rotation happens quite often during a game depending on the opponents form and the position of the game.

I don't see Scarlett and Mooney swapping too often or Harry Taylor and the Pod. Nick Reiwoldt and Zac Dawson. I'm calling bullsh!t.

Premiership back lines are stable. You get the odd switch here and there but usually there is a core 5 who play there most of the time not the mess we have at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:15 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Yes obviously if we're travelling as well as Geelong rotations are minimul.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:01 pm 
Garry Crane

Wild Blue Yonder wrote:

:clap: :clap: