Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Forward set up
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

Riley spoke in the post match interview about how, because of the talls in the forward line, we kicked with more penetration going forward.

Can those who went to the practice match give some insight into the forward set up?

was it three talls and three smalls, or something different?
Did we attack going inside 50 differently, or did we simply raise our heads and look for alternatives?

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject: Re: Forward set up
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:29 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

to me it was more of a vibe of where in the past, fev would command any of the space between the goal square and the 60m mark.. now, the CHFs (hendo, carlos(!?)) were presenting at about 40-60m mark instead of the 80m mark. This meant that they were actually a probable avenue to goal, and drew some heat from the defenders... this left an option open deeper in the 50... (Casboult and Arrowsmith were great at this) which was usually a 1-on-1 duel that was often won by the forward.

Hope that helps..

Inspired by the One-Minute Sculptures of Erwin Wurm

"All in all is all we are..."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:42 pm 
Robert Walls

We also seem intent on hitting up targets closer to goal when in possession wide or on 50. With Fev, when he lead wide or long when he got the ball and had a shot regardless of distance or angle 90% of the time. They seem to have instructions to find a higher percentage target if they are too far out or too wide instead of having a ping. They also seem to be instructed to do this at high speed - they get the ball on half-forward and go deep without hesitation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:48 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Bomb to the deepest option when in doubt. Means the if the other team win it we have our entire team behind the ball making it hard for them to clear it. Pagan spoke about this in his last year with us. Bulldogs, Saints, Maggies, Crows and Cats were doing it alot last year.

Using Hampson and Kreuser as the deep tall seems like the obvious option with Henda presenting towards the ball carrier.

I think this will be one of the options but i am sure they will mix it up with other plays involving betts, Robo, Garlett and Yarran.

That is the way i see it being played out but i only get that from one intra club and an interview or two.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

It was typically a 3 tall setup but we had a lot of midfielders out of action for the game, so I am hesitant to suggest that is the system we will present for round 1.

We typically looked for an option at HF or forward wing, but quickly carried the ball in towards 50 if nothing worthwhile presented itself. Set shots were taken from 40 m or less, with a healthy split between bombs to the square/hot spot and spotting up leads. The midfield/half-forward brigade did a good job of keeping the defences honest by having some shots from 50, albeit poorly.

If the skills get into gear early on in the season and the decision making continues to improve, the forward line has enough solid options to put up good scores. I suspect we'll be targeting 90+ points as a benchmark.

At this stage the forward 50 set up looks like:

HF/Mid: Yarran, Carrazzo, Houla
CHF: O'hAilpin
FP: Garlett, Betts
FF: Waite, <medium forward>

Unsure who that medium forward will be at this point, but the choices are Carrots, Walker, Robinson & Houlihan.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We'll have either Warnock, Kruezer or Hammer there most times IMO.
We rotated our talls from FF to a leading tall CHF and it seemed to work well. A long option when we're under the pump has been our deficiency for years and it finally appears we have the mobility to trial it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:04 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
We'll have either Warnock, Kruezer or Hammer there most times IMO.
We rotated our talls from FF to a leading tall CHF and it seemed to work well. A long option when we're under the pump has been our deficiency for years and it finally appears we have the mobility to trial it.

I prefer this scenario. :thumbsup: cheers BV.

Rotating
Talls
Mobility
Options

All great words to associate with our newfound forwardline.