Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:10 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

his return coaching stint wasn't that bad - all things considered.

I can't be bothered looking it up, but why did he have one year not as captain in the mid 70's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

In honour of the induction Jezza has been made Player of the Week on the Blueseum.

http://www.blueseum.org/

His profile page is a good read.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... Jesaulenko

... and his image gallery is one of the most popular areas on the site.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-browse_gal ... lleryId=62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:38 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Ian Thorogood held the captaincy in 76' - does anyone know why he took over from Jezza for that year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
Ian Thorogood held the captaincy in 76' - does anyone know why he took over from Jezza for that year?

Ian Thorogood was a lot of things but in 76 he was coach not captain. Jezza was captain in 1976 and Robert Walls was captain in 1977.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

AGRO wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

Ian Thorogood was a lot of things but in 76 he was coach not captain. Jezza was captain in 1976 and Robert Walls was captain in 1977.

thats what I meant :wink: why was Walls captain for one year? I am guessing it is because they made Jezza Captn Coach in 78?, poor Wallsy could have been a premiership captain if things had have gone the right way for him.

Instead he finished at Fitzroy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:29 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Thanks to for the clarification Jez1966 and DUC.

As many have sadi, he was already a Legend a long long time ago......

This thread has been a pleasure to read with the brilliant story's being unearthed.

Please do continue.....

Post subject: Agree with dominator 7
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:26 pm 
Craig Bradley

Jezzas skills were sublime - footballing genius
Exquisite skills later on in career off the hbf was the genesis of the modern HBF ie starting attacks from backline- having best players as platform of attack
Jezza was also like rob harvey weaved in and out of packs with his magic
Great mark but also really strong in the hips a great tackler
Also Jezza was tough -targeted almost every week from his debut year
Did have the luxury of Big Nick lurking 8) so got less treatment than he would have otherwise
Some of his movements skills Juddesque a travesty he did not win a Brownlow - a gun in every sense of the word
Last Captain/Coach to win Premiership
Only Carlton player to kick 100 goals
Jezza in the top echelon of Carlton greats
Loved Jezza and everywhere at the footy there were carlton jumpers with the number 25 on them when he played

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:46 pm 
Bert Deacon

As Frank D has pointed out, Jezza was renowned for his toughness, not only as a player but as a coach. I've read a testimony from Harmesy where, if Carlton lost a game in '78 & '79, Jezza would flog all the players (and I mean, flog) until they spewed and/or dropped from sheer exhaustion. It's interesting (and quite timely) that this week Greg Williams (another Blues champion) has been asked back to Carlton by Ratts to teach and instil the legendary uncompromising, hard and tough values into the younger guys- OMG, how I prayed for this to happen during the Pagan reign! :cry:

At last! The rumble in the jungle is getting louder and louder......! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

IMO....Jezza, the greatest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

Weve had some beauties...

Judd is possibly in the top 3 ever....

But in my opinion not even Judd was as good as Jezza...

Jezza was a FREAK....

pace... spring...goal kicking....brutal strength..... balance... defensive tackling......goalkicking.. fieldkicking...he had it all.....and like all champions he was a winner..... ...

Probably the most rounded footballer ever and thoroughly deserves the LEGEND status....

SUPERSTAR!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

I was on a tram last year and these two kids about six were in their opposition football jumpers and they were pretending to take speccies over each other - and do you know what they were saying as they grabbed their junior sized footy in two hands? - "JEZZA :!:"

That's how good Jezza was - part of the vernacular a generation after his own.

One of Carlton's and the games' greats. :-D

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:12 pm 
Trevor Keogh

kingkerna wrote:
thats what I meant :wink: why was Walls captain for one year? I am guessing it is because they made Jezza Captn Coach in 78?, poor Wallsy could have been a premiership captain if things had have gone the right way for him.

Instead he finished at Fitzroy.

walls left the club when ian stewart took over from thorogood at the end of 1977 (we missed the finals by losing the last game at footscray after having been in the 4 all year).

iirc, doull turned up late for training due to a family funeral. stewart got stuck into doull which led walls to get stuck into stewart and to quit the club. stewart's career at carlton was "tragically" cut short due to illness 8) which eventually led to jezza taking over as captain / coach in round 7 (??) just in time for a famous win at victoria park :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:35 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Synbad wrote:

Jezza was a FREAK....

pace... spring...goal kicking....brutal strength..... balance... defensive tackling......goalkicking.. fieldkicking...he had it all.....and like all champions he was a winner..... ...

Probably the most rounded footballer ever and thoroughly deserves the LEGEND status....

SUPERSTAR!!!!!

what he said ...

top 3 brownlow finish 3 times and each in a different position:
1967, his 1st year, played as a HF (in those days starvation corner)
1970 as a sub 6 foot FF (kicked 115 goals)
1975 as a play-making, dashing half back.

was a also brownlow favourite, along with neville fields and bartlett, in 1972 when he was moved into the centre but didn't break into the top 3 as expected.

i remember a game against Essendon* at PP in 72 when the media talking point was the battle between jezza and fields in the centre. our new full forward, greg kennedy, pulled out and jezza ended up back at FF. he kicked 6 goals in the 2nd qtr in an performance so spectacular that ch 7 broke with normal programming and showed the 2nd qtr instead of the last during their saturday night footy replay.

took a huge mark in 73 playing for victoria in adelaide. kicked 10 that day as a FF (mainly playing on the ball at carlton).

that mark against richmond in 70 under the old scoreboard is my favourite jezza speccie ...

starred in finals too, including 2 great GF performances.

had the power, speed, spring (until a back injury in late 73 or 74 grounded him), strength, cat-like reflexes of ablett, with the daicos like low centre of gravity skills and balance, and the harvey-like ability to weave through traffic. outstanding chaser and tackler too ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

Enjoy some Jezza speccies...

The amazing hanger vs Richmond that maxyblue was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sc86yqwPi8

And his Victorian speccy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtQleNxj ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:22 am 
Harry Vallence

L E G E N D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:44 pm 
Robert Walls

he is why we support Carlton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

Synbad wrote:

Jezza was a FREAK....

Well said Sinners

Jezza had no real weaknesses. It is hard to believe he only won one B and F

Had the ability of Daicos on the ground but great overhead as well.
Doull and Jezza are the 2 best balanced footballers I have seen.

WELL DONE ALEX

SUPERSTAR!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:12 pm 
Bert Deacon

Synbad wrote:

Jezza was a FREAK....

SUPERSTAR!!!!!

Well said. It was a privilege to be able to watch him live. Superlatives are a dime a dozen these days but he was a superstar in every sense of the word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
For me Jezza's moment came in 1978 - when he as a last resort he was asked to coach Carlton.

We had suffered through 6 years of doubt and under achievement.

From the moment he took over the level of excitement was palpable.

The newspapers loved it - he was all over the back pages - "Jezza's Back" etc etc.

The players loved, revered and respected him - they would run through brick walls for him (and they did 8) ).

His coaching philosophy was simple "I gave the boys jobs and they went out and did them."

And did them they did. :wink:

From the moment he took over in 1978 till his last game for the club in the Grand Final of 1979 - we only lost a handful of games.

When he was lost to the club during the tumultuous Summer of 79/80 - I dont mind admitting I wept bitter tears of disappointment and grief. :cry:

His return to the fold in 1989 - and his ultimate lack of success on his return was not so much a reflection on his ability as Coach - but more a reflection of the period of the late 70s early 80s.

In the 70s a player of Jezza's ilk and standing could take a side and by strength of his character drag it up by its bootstraps.

By the late 80s the game had changed - you couldnt pull rabbits out of the hat anymore.

But Jezza will always be remembered as a great of the club and now rightly as a Legend of the Game.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Beautifully put, Ags! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Not many people in the Ukraine would have even heard of AFL football, never mind have seen it.

Yet when it was time for the Ukraine to name their greatest ever sportsman, it wasn't soccer legend Andriy Shevchenko, or Olympic great Sergei Bubka.

No.

It was Alex Jesaulenko.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next