Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Deano Supremo wrote:
Not many people in the Ukraine would have even heard of AFL football, never mind have seen it.

Yet when it was time for the Ukraine to name their greatest ever sportsman, it wasn't soccer legend Andriy Shevchenko, or Olympic great Sergei Bubka.

No.

It was Alex Jesaulenko.

I knew he was right up there - thats sensational. :-D

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

His playing career was before my time but I had a great Jezza moment in 1993.

I was sharing a house in North Carlton with a couple of mates, in a small dead end street near Rathdowne. One day we were walking home, both in Carlton jumpers, after having a kick at Curtin Square. A stocky bloke was approaching us from the bottom of our street & as we got closer, realised it was Alex Jesaulenko. It was just a surreal moment & neither me or my mate knew quite what to say as we passed him (& were both a bit gobsmacked), so we just smiled, and so did the great man.

Later we found out that Jezza's wife had just opened a shop that backed onto our street, a florist, well named "Jezza-Belles"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:30 am 
Bruce Doull

One other thing, on Friday I heard Swanny say on SEN that a Jezza marking over Jenkin statue is being considered as part of the PP redevelopment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:39 am 
Garry Crane

what he said ...

top 3 brownlow finish 3 times and each in a different position:
1967, his 1st year, played as a HF (in those days starvation corner)
1970 as a sub 6 foot FF (kicked 115 goals)
1975 as a play-making, dashing half back.

was a also brownlow favourite, along with neville fields and bartlett, in 1972 when he was moved into the centre but didn't break into the top 3 as expected.

i remember a game against Essendon* at PP in 72 when the media talking point was the battle between jezza and fields in the centre. our new full forward, greg kennedy, pulled out and jezza ended up back at FF. he kicked 6 goals in the 2nd qtr in an performance so spectacular that ch 7 broke with normal programming and showed the 2nd qtr instead of the last during their saturday night footy replay.

took a huge mark in 73 playing for victoria in adelaide. kicked 10 that day as a FF (mainly playing on the ball at carlton).

that mark against richmond in 70 under the old scoreboard is my favourite jezza speccie ...

starred in finals too, including 2 great GF performances.

had the power, speed, spring (until a back injury in late 73 or 74 grounded him), strength, cat-like reflexes of ablett, with the daicos like low centre of gravity skills and balance, and the harvey-like ability to weave through traffic. outstanding chaser and tackler too ...
that game against Essendon* in 1972, he was playing on Barry Davis (Victorian full back at the time) and the champ kicked 6 goals in 12 minutes to the scoreboard end at which i was standing, like most of the rest of the crowd witnessing a genius at work.
That speccy in the state game was front page of the Herald Sun i think and the footage of it doesnt do it justice.
People sometimes overlook the enormity of finishing 3rd in the Brownlow in his first year, an amazing effort.
Seriously think he could have kicked about 15 goals that day against Hawthorn when we kicked 30.30 and he finished with 6.12.
He was an absolute excitement machine at his peak and every kid wanted to be like him in the schoolyard. He took speccys as a matter of course most weeks like blokes take chest marks. He made very very good defenders look like fools, year in year out.
I had the privelege of seeing almost every game he played for CFC and as a 24 year old man, i think i cried in 1980 when he left for Stkilda.
Less than one year prior he had given me what is still my happiest day ever in footy at the GF of 1979, watching my boyhood hero get his crowning glory and exclamation mark to a illustrious career.
He was also very gracious, no autograph was one too many for kids etc, and was an absolute Legend a long long time before the AFL said so !!
He is probably the main reason i will alwys love CFC.
He took marks he shouldnt have, and got out of tight spots where there appeared to be no exit, plus his footy smarts were quite remarkable given his late start etc. Put simply, on his day (and he had plenty of them) he was simply unstoppable and you just had to admire his talent.

Couldnt help but wonder if they had a Tribute Match in the mid 70's how a Jesaulenko v Doull match would have panned out !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:03 am 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
One other thing, on Friday I heard Swanny say on SEN that a Jezza marking over Jenkin statue is being considered as part of the PP redevelopment...

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-read_artic ... rticleId=7

This was written by De Bolfo BEFORE he came on board to the Club - I guess he is still pushing for it...I wonder how he has pitched this to Pratt given his reference to Smorgo in here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 am 
Craig Bradley

Jezza's elevation to Legend is 100% deserved. I saw him play his first game against Fitzroy in '67, and it was apparent even then that this bloke was going to be a superstar.
For me the only downside of this was in yesterday's Herald Sun where Craig Hutchison down played Jezza's elevation in making a case for Lou Richards to be made a Legend.
Louie IMO is without question deserving of such an honour, but for Hutchison to use Jezza's name in making his point show's what a slug he is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

murraycray wrote:
Jezza's elevation to Legend is 100% deserved. I saw him play his first game against Fitzroy in '67, and it was apparent even then that this bloke was going to be a superstar.
For me the only downside of this was in yesterday's Herald Sun where Craig Hutchison down played Jezza's elevation in making a case for Lou Richards to be made a Legend.
Louie IMO is without question deserving of such an honour, but for Hutchison to use Jezza's name in making his point show's what a slug he is

Typical Hutchy snide crap - which had no business being spoken about.

Jezza should have been made an inaugural legend of the game - but I reckon there would have been too many whinges from the anti-Carlton lobby on that one.

If kids today still call out "Jezza" when they take speccy's in the park nearly 30 years after his last game - there is no doubting Alex Jesaulenko's Legendary Status of the game.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:29 am 
Bert Deacon

Can someone please post a link to the above mentioned crap surrounding Hutchison? Honestly, this tool is showing a lack of decorum, class, not to mention respect when it comes to the games's greats, Louie included. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

I think there is no doubt Hutchy has become McGuire's puppet or more importantly his mouth piece. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:21 pm 
Herald Sun columnist

PD'sPC wrote:
Can someone please post a link to the above mentioned crap surrounding Hutchison? Honestly, this tool is showing a lack of decorum, class, not to mention respect when it comes to the games's greats, Louie included. :x

This is what was written PD.

Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS to Alex Jesaulenko and I'm sorry to rain on your parade. You are a legend. Or at least should be. But down the track. Next year. Forgive me on this one.

What does Lou Richards have to do to become a legend?

Archaic rules surrounding the eligibility for legend status - even coaches only recently became eligible to join players in the exclusive club -- mean Richards loses a line-ball call; when his wider contribution sits favourably against anyone in the sport's history.

Richards, as a player, is a serious contender. He was a Collingwood premiership captain and 250-game great. But has anyone done more for the way football has cornered the modern-day sports entertainment dollar?

Lou, as much as anyone, pioneered the theatrical side of the game on TV, newspapers and radio, making football such a lucrative entertainment sub-industry.

His role on League Teams and World of Sport helped pave the way for shows such as The Footy Show and his Kiss of Death in the then Sun newspaper propelled football tipping to all new levels of interest.
He was King of Moomba, too.

His showman skills created prime-time ratings and attracted new people to the game.

Lou is 85 and lost his wife Edna this year. He remains on TV and will, presumably, until he can no longer. And while tough Louie could be with us for years there's no guarantees, with his health on the decline.

This year is his 67th in the game, on field or on screen. There's no one more revered in football than Lou. He is a legend. How he is yet to be acknowledged as such is a mystery.

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:22 pm 
Herald Sun columnist

SurreyBlue wrote:
I think there is no doubt Hutchy has become McGuire's puppet or more importantly his arse piece. :roll:

Edited for accuracy.

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:41 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Quote:

Oh my god, that's convinced me.

I'll say this now so I don't sound like a prick when he passes away, but I have met Lou Richards and he is a complete prick of a person. This has nothing to do with his legend/non-legend status of course, just wanted to say it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
Quote:

Oh my god, that's convinced me.

I'll say this now so I don't sound like a prick when he passes away, but I have met Lou Richards and he is a complete prick of a person. This has nothing to do with his legend/non-legend status of course, just wanted to say it.

No doubt about it - Lou Richards is the Daryl Sommers of his day. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:54 pm 
Bert Deacon

As always, thank you for your great assistance with the article- much appreciated, DUC! :)

Regardless of what personality Louie was, he was/is a legend of the game. Unfortunately, such epithets and glowing testimonies are downgraded or hijacked by tools such as Hutchison who gives the game away when he states, "Sorry to rain on your parade, Alex"... :? Where are writers of the calibre of Alf Brown, Martin Flanagan and Brent Crosswell when you need them?! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

the timing of the article was indeed very poor, imagine someone winning the brownlow and the next day an article on why player 'x' deserved it more.

Who does the maggot barrack for anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

kingkerna wrote:

Himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

kingkerna wrote:
the timing of the article was indeed very poor, imagine someone winning the brownlow and the next day an article on why player 'x' deserved it more.

I thought McChins did this with Nathan Buckley and what's worse he won it the year after. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

I thought McChins did this with Nathan Buckley and what's worse he won it the year after. :oops:

And whats worse a clearly inebriated Ron Evans was heard to remark on stage as he hung the medal around Buckley's neck - "not before time" :roll: - so the fix was clearly in. :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:04 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I don't know if you're being serious or not Agger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
I don't know if you're being serious or not Agger.

Yes Ron Evans was cleary pissed that night - and his comment was clearly heard in the microphone.

I can say he was pissed - because he is now dead and now cannot sue me for slander.

But I would get clearly get off with the defence of "fair comment" as the television replay would clearly show that he was pissed. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next