Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

YOU BEAUTY!

(Just heard this on FoxSports News)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sensational.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/tabid/4311/ ... wsid=59338

Winston Churchill

Last edited by AGRO on Thu May 08, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23668609-23211,00.html

Quote:
Jesaulenko was among the original inductees in 1996 and he became the 22nd man to receive legend status.

The four-time Carlton premiership player was playing for the Blues in the 1970 grand final against arch-rivals Collingwood when he produced one of the most famous moments in VFL-AFL history.

The brilliant utility took a towering mark over Magpies ruckman Graeme "Jerker" Jenkin, prompting television commentator Mike Williamson to yell the immortal line: "Jesaulenko, you beauty!".

Jesaulenko played in four Carlton premiership sides, including 1970, and was player coach in the '79 flag win, again over Collingwood.

He played 279 games for the Blues and St Kilda between 1967-81 and kicked 444 goals.

Jesaulenko was captain-coach and non-playing coach at the two clubs.

He also made the AFL and Carlton teams of the century.

Geof Motley also inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Quote:
Motley played in an incredible nine premiership sides for the SANFL Magpies.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Last edited by bluedog on Sat May 10, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

BTW, as if we didn't know he was a legend. :roll:

:-D

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

Best decision the AFL have made in years :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:27 am 
Rod Ashman

Well done Jezza

Also Geof Motley (father of Peter) was inducted in the Hall of fame also...

Another thing...my SANFL team had a bloke by the name of Peter Carey, who played 448 games, represented SA 19 times for 467 games (only bettered by Braddles), won 3 premierships, kicked 521 goals, won the Fos Williams medal, twice all Australian, 3 B & F's and Captain of the GFC. STILL CAN'T GET A GIG :evil: :evil: BULL5HIT :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:31 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Great news, but suprising news as i thought he would already have been inducted.

Why on earth has it taken so long??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:22 am 
Rod Ashman

Firearms I think was inducted in the Hall of Fame years ago but now has been upgraded (of a better term) to Legend status...

Congratulations Jezza :-D :-D and to Geof Motely :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:38 am 
Garry Crane

great to see jezza fly high into the legends of the game he was a great player and great to watch well done jezza

cheers
OZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:15 am 
Herald Sun columnist

Firearm Fevs wrote:
Great news, but suprising news as i thought he would already have been inducted.

Why on earth has it taken so long??

He was inducted into the Hall of Fame years ago but has now been elevated to Legend status [which for most of us happened in on a lazy September afternoon in 1970]. :-D

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:26 am 
Harry Vallence

I was fortunate to see every game that Jessa played for the Blues.

Whilst the focus generally remains on his exploits as a forward i've always felt that his move to the HBF in 1975 was my personal highlight.

To my mind the his sublime skills and ability to read the play took the half back position to another level and was probably the fore-runner for what was to come.

Prior to that it used to be that failed forwards were consigned to the backline. Jessa put paid to that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:33 am 
Harry Vallence

I love it. We now have 3 of the 22 Legends of the Game - Big Nick; Barrassi and Jezza!!

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Well deserved.

Now about that Jezza statue at PP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:11 am 
Ken Hunter

What took them so long. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:19 am 
Stephen Silvagni

pleasantly surprised, I thought Kevin Murray was going to get it, how Peter Carey gets overlooked is beyond me, Geoff Motley with 9 premierships is unbelievable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
pleasantly surprised, I thought Kevin Murray was going to get it, how Peter Carey gets overlooked is beyond me, Geoff Motley with 9 premierships is unbelievable!

What a coincidence - Geof Motley also played in 9 Premierships for Port Adelaide too. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

Well overdue that's for damn sure.

My favourite Jezza moment is actually not from his playing days, but only a few years ago. Outside the G at the 99 GF Triple M interviewed the great man in their marquee. Afterwards Jezza signed autographs for everyone (he signed my Record over the photo of a young bloke who had just recently inherited the #25 8) ), and everyone wanted a piece of him.

A little kid (about 7-8 years old) wearing a Carlton jumper, with his mum, saw all this and asked her "Who's that, mum?", to which she replied "That's JEZZA". I swear, the kid looked like he'd seen God. His eyes lit up, his jaw dropped, and he immediately started dragging her so he could get near him. It was enough to bring a tear to your eye. It was a reminder both of Jezza's greatness, but also what it means to be a supporter of the Carlton football club. I'll never forget it.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:20 pm 
Bert Deacon

As I am hearing-impaired (since birth), I used to have speech therapy as an 8yo; one of the first names I couldn't get my head (and sounds) around was "Jesaulenko"- I used to recite it every night for a few weeks- it droved everyone nearby crazy! Congratulations, Alex- a wonderful achievement from a very extraordinary (and humble) player who gave countless hours of enjoyment to many VFL/AFL fans! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Always been a legend..didnt need these hall of fame experts to tell us that....how many 183cm players could kick 100+ goals and then move to a back flank in their later years and win a B&F....
His classic mark over Jenkin is the ultimate speccy.....played in the glory years and was one of the main reasons those years were glorious......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

For me Jezza's moment came in 1978 - when he as a last resort he was asked to coach Carlton.

We had suffered through 6 years of doubt and under achievement.

From the moment he took over the level of excitement was palpable.

The newspapers loved it - he was all over the back pages - "Jezza's Back" etc etc.

The players loved, revered and respected him - they would run through brick walls for him (and they did 8) ).

His coaching philosophy was simple "I gave the boys jobs and they went out and did them."

And did them they did. :wink:

From the moment he took over in 1978 till his last game for the club in the Grand Final of 1979 - we only lost a handful of games.

When he was lost to the club during the tumultuous Summer of 79/80 - I dont mind admitting I wept bitter tears of disappointment and grief. :cry:

His return to the fold in 1989 - and his ultimate lack of success on his return was not so much a reflection on his ability as Coach - but more a reflection of the period of the late 70s early 80s.

In the 70s a player of Jezza's ilk and standing could take a side and by strength of his character drag it up by its bootstraps.

By the late 80s the game had changed - you couldnt pull rabbits out of the hat anymore.

But Jezza will always be remembered as a great of the club and now rightly as a Legend of the Game.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Winston Churchill