Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

jesus I must have been out of it - I do not remember moving to Sydney! :shock:

although there was this night after a party, a car borrowed off a friend, a block of hashish, a mate determined to see a chick in Sydney and me stupidly going along...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:03 am 
Adrian Gallagher

I got lost at Waverley Park and the coppers walked me around the Boundary line ( HONEST TRUE ! ) i had ventured down to the Carlton Cheersquad at the main scoreboard end and couldnt find my way back !

Im speaking of the Carlton V Essendon* Elimination final Btw !!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

It feels like it should be grand final footy marathon night so I went browsing youtube.

Go to 11:00 here & have a look at the team goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4xrxJS4dYg&t=1674s

The actual kick by Mark Buckley is a beauty but the play by Johnston to get it to him is quite extraordinary.

I wish we could still play like this

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:09 am 
Wayne Johnston

There’s only one Wayne Johnston.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:18 am 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:
It feels like it should be grand final footy marathon night so I went browsing youtube.

The actual kick by Mark Buckley is a beauty but the play by Johnston to get it to him is quite extraordinary.

Yeah, nice goal. Started really by Wayne Harmes...who stopped a Krakouer goal.

It is interesting the Blueseum's point on that North game...100 point caning.

North Melbourne has caused the Blues a lot of pain over the years with them inflicting some diabolically bad floggings also in this century. They also caused an embarrassing loss this year.

I guess that 1987 h&a win Round 22 Sticks after the siren shot would have to rate as our best ever h&a win over them.

One factor in 1983 has to be Ditchburn....who found it tougher in 1983 than 1982. Maybe that was supply from further afield?

Went from 13 games 61 goals in 1982 to
to 15 games 30 goals in 1983.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:01 am 
Geoff Southby

tap in 79 wrote:
CK95 wrote:

North Melbourne has caused the Blues a lot of pain over the years with them inflicting some diabolically bad floggings also in this century. They also caused an embarrassing loss this year.

I guess that 1987 h&a win Round 22 Sticks after the siren shot would have to rate as our best ever h&a win over them.

One factor in 1983 has to be Ditchburn....who found it tougher in 1983 than 1982. Maybe that was supply from further afield?

The clip is from round 21 1983, which we won by 33 points - https://www.blueseum.org/Round+21%2C+1983

The win came at a cost because Buzz was suspended and missed the elimination final. The above turned out to be Buzz’s last game for the Blues.

It was also Bortolotto’s last game - he was no star but a good role player in the 1982 GF and would have been handy against the Bombers in the elimination final because they physically dominated us during that period.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 am 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
CK95 wrote:

The clip is from round 21 1983, which we won by 33 points - https://www.blueseum.org/Round+21%2C+1983

The win came at a cost because Buzz was suspended and missed the elimination final. The above turned out to be Buzz’s last game for the Blues.

It was also Bortolotto’s last game - he was no star but a good role player in the 1982 GF and would have been handy against the Bombers in the elimination final because they physically dominated us during that period.

Yeah, good point on Bortolotto. He was a strong, robust player. It seemed like some central planks of Carlton's team - full-forward// ruck// tough half-back...were all finding it tougher.

Btw...I wasn't confusing the two North games...I should have been clearer with my initial post.

Firstly I read the Blueseum point that in Round 10 North kicked 193...and that was when the run of poor performances started mid-season...and that made me reflect on North inflicting pain in more recent season.

But yes the clip came from Round 21. And it has some nice footage. Impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:35 am 
Geoff Southby

tap in 79 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Yeah, good point on Bortolotto. He was a strong, robust player. It seemed like some central planks of Carlton's team - full-forward// ruck// tough half-back...were all finding it tougher.

Btw...I wasn't confusing the two North games...I should have been clearer with my initial post.

Firstly I read the Blueseum point that in Round 10 North kicked 193...and that was when the run of poor performances started mid-season...and that made me reflect on North inflicting pain in more recent season.

But yes the clip came from Round 21. And it has some nice footage. Impressive.

Yes, we had some memorable results against North in the ‘80s - some good (this game, the 140 point win at Waverley in round 1 of the following season, Sticks after the siren in the last round of ‘87, Gleeson’s late goal at home in ‘88) and some bad (the 100 point loss in ‘83, the ‘85 elimination final, the Battle of Britain).

And yes, they have inflicted a lot of pain on us in more recent years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:44 am 
Bruce Doull

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for 83 even though it wasn't a great season. It was the first year that I properly started following footy.

When I first met the late moshe & told him this, & that I'd pretty much missed out on 79-82, he was mortified :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:09 am 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for 83 even though it wasn't a great season. It was the first year that I properly started following footy.

When I first met the late moshe & told him this, & that I'd pretty much missed out on 79-82, he was mortified :grin:

1988 was the first year that I properly started following, so similar to you, just after a flag year.

Little did I know 89 was going to be much much worse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:16 am 
Wayne Johnston

79 turned me from a marginal Demons supporter to a blues supporter on the back of the jezza influence. 81 and 82 sealed the deal. I thought 83 was an aberration and we’d be back winning more in 84….

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I remember Joffa Boy ... the one in the Carlton jumper, got me convinced the Blues were for me, despite the fact I lived next door to the great Uncle Teddy Whitten.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Howdy doody Bondi....

Must admit, don't recall the Carlton Jumper??

But back on topic.... Not sure if it's my imagination (can't be bothered looking up the stats)... But I don't suppose we started playing more games at the wasteland of Waverley....after the previous years dominance?

Just recall that around seemed then I started having to go out there more often (and hated it)

Go Blues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
79 turned me from a marginal Demons supporter to a blues supporter on the back of the jezza influence. 81 and 82 sealed the deal. I thought 83 was an aberration and we’d be back winning more in 84….
Sounds like badge slogans.

Like "we'll give them hell on our way to heaven in 87"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Good ol' fashioned premiership hangover where the hunger to succeed drops away.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

Jack Elliott became president in 1983.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

Ross Ditchburn, such a balanced player. Great mark. Dead eye kick.

Those old games are hard to stop watching...the crowd, the noise, Carlton.

The Premiership Quarter.

Hunter in the forwardline ... that banana goal.