Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Ron Barassi has endorsed Voss as his favourite for the coaching position.........................................

OF MELBOURNE~!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

ryan2000 wrote:
Ron Barassi has endorsed Voss as his favourite for the coaching position.........................................

OF MELBOURNE~!

Barass is too much of a gentleman to suggest a position for a club which already has a senior coach. If the Carlton position was available now he would have mentioned it as well.

Post subject: THE BOSS
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

Voss the Boss was just on AW.
Sign him up now.

Just do it. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

2ndeffort wrote:
Not sure that Stephen Icke or Greg Swan ever went through any kind of exhaustive selection process but I am sure that Teflon Terry did down at the tigers. On the whole of it I am pretty happy with Swan and Icke as gets and I'm glad we havent got Teflon Terry.

Isnt Big Dick on the record as saying something about not wanting the best available because normally the best guy for the job isnt available??

If Big Dick and Swanny can somehow orchestrate the same kind of magic that they've woven off the field this season and sort out the on-field problems in their quiet, effective manner then I'll be happy as punch, regardless of the 'Process' used.

As long as the appointment isnt made out of desperate nepotism or cronieism then I'll be happy. I'm sure Dick hasnt built up Visy on the back of hiring idiots to top jobs, if he can find us a top bloke and close the deal I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

From my experience in business, the much lauded approach often talked up here is not common. Often top people are approached behind the scenes. There may be a show of some interviews and some testing etc, but often big appointments are targetted and pursued. Inviting a cast of many to apply and then filtering out the unwanted is a much lower percentage option than cherry picking the actual bloke you want with all the right characteristics. The pool of capable coaches is probably very small, but I dont see what some psych tests and a couple of power point presentations to the board would do. If they are serious they will already have 1 or 2 targets identified and Dick or his delegate will be sounding them out quietly already. Any semblance of 'process' will be for the punters.

I reckon that is a ripper post.

I can see the value of "the process" but I can also see the value in what you're saying. The club simply will not go and hire someone without there being some sort of discussion taking place first, ie. despite claims to the contrary there will be no knee jerk appointment to the senior coaches position. Given Denis still has over 12 months to go on his contract this kinda goes without saying doesn't it?

Yeah, I can see there could be merit in seeking indepedent outside opinions from some selection panel or other, but equally, the point about trusting Pratt and his staff is a good one.

For the process-followres the KPIs indicate that Pratt and his board are going gangbusters in rebuilding our club, I get the feeling they won't stuff up the appointment of the next coach. Whenever that may be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:53 pm 
formerly Fevola

Voss was just on SEN and denied ever speaking to Carlton or Melbourne for that matter.

They asked what he would do with Fevola and he said obviously find out about his committment to the club. Did also state that full forwards like him do not grow on trees...... So you would not move someone on unless it was a last resort.

He was asked who had the better list, Carlton or Melbourne. He said that they were at different stages, Carlton were rebuilding and Melbourne was a bit more advanced. But they were totally different.

I was really impressed with him and I do hope he was lying about not speaking to us, because I bet Melbourne will snap him up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

I still think it is either of Voss or Ratten.

Id be sad for Ratten and for losing him if Voss got the job, and Id be upset about missing out on Voss if Ratten got the job.

However it may be that Voss gets the job, but there is some kind of contract problem, Voss withdraws and then Ratten, who has not yet committed to another club - gets to be senior coach.

Caroline Wilson was carrying on about Worsfold getting the job this evening...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

He'd sort Fev out.

*Voss bops Fev in the nose during a team meeting*

"SHUTUP C@&#"

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Boss/ Voss throws good left hooks as seen on TV.

Not a good look, but I guess he was batting for his mate who had a billiard ball thrown at him.

Don't cross Voss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

blueman wrote:
Caroline Wilson was carrying on about Worsfold getting the job this evening...

The Carlton job? :shock:

Last night she said Voss, then McKenna, now Woosha.... I would love to get woosha, but I think he seems unlikely out of the three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

Id have thought woosha would be very unlikely to coach Carlton, but sometimes crazy things happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:35 pm 
Horrie Clover

Caro also said last night that given the choice of Carlton or Melbourne Voss would pick Carlton. She's usually on the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Anyone for McKernan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:41 pm 
Horrie Clover

My preferences in order at this stage would be:

1. Michael Voss
2. Brett Ratten
3. Chris Bond
4. Guy McKenna

Do not underestimate the credentials of Bond. Apparently his CV and what he brings to the table is second to none according to Ricky Nixon. His only downfall is that he hasn't got the profile of other candidates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:45 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

1. McKenna
2. Ratten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Brian Royal had a great Cv just a few years ago and just missed our on a senior spot.

Now just a few years later he will never ever be considered for a senior coaching position merely because of a small amount of time.\

It appears that the 'coaching window' is as fickle as many of the other windows in the AFL and getting a toehold is as much a matter of opportunity and luck than it is of actual skill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

camelboy wrote:
2ndeffort wrote:
Not sure that Stephen Icke or Greg Swan ever went through any kind of exhaustive selection process but I am sure that Teflon Terry did down at the tigers. On the whole of it I am pretty happy with Swan and Icke as gets and I'm glad we havent got Teflon Terry.

Isnt Big Dick on the record as saying something about not wanting the best available because normally the best guy for the job isnt available??

If Big Dick and Swanny can somehow orchestrate the same kind of magic that they've woven off the field this season and sort out the on-field problems in their quiet, effective manner then I'll be happy as punch, regardless of the 'Process' used.

As long as the appointment isnt made out of desperate nepotism or cronieism then I'll be happy. I'm sure Dick hasnt built up Visy on the back of hiring idiots to top jobs, if he can find us a top bloke and close the deal I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

From my experience in business, the much lauded approach often talked up here is not common. Often top people are approached behind the scenes. There may be a show of some interviews and some testing etc, but often big appointments are targetted and pursued. Inviting a cast of many to apply and then filtering out the unwanted is a much lower percentage option than cherry picking the actual bloke you want with all the right characteristics. The pool of capable coaches is probably very small, but I dont see what some psych tests and a couple of power point presentations to the board would do. If they are serious they will already have 1 or 2 targets identified and Dick or his delegate will be sounding them out quietly already. Any semblance of 'process' will be for the punters.

I can see the value of "the process" but I can also see the value in what you're saying. The club simply will not go and hire someone without there being some sort of discussion taking place first, ie. despite claims to the contrary there will be no knee jerk appointment to the senior coaches position. Given Denis still has over 12 months to go on his contract this kinda goes without saying doesn't it?

Yeah, I can see there could be merit in seeking indepedent outside opinions from some selection panel or other, but equally, the point about trusting Pratt and his staff is a good one.

For the process-followres the KPIs indicate that Pratt and his board are going gangbusters in rebuilding our club, I get the feeling they won't stuff up the appointment of the next coach. Whenever that may be.

Icke and Swann are a little different, they were both poached from the same position - they had runs on the baord already. If Swann poached Worsfold without a process then that's a fair comparison (although this is what Eliott did with Pagan). Hiring Voss, Ratten, etc isn't a fair comparison as they are not being poached from the same role that they are currently in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

steve wrote:
camelboy wrote:
2ndeffort wrote:

Icke and Swann are a little different, they were both poached from the same position - they had runs on the baord already. If Swann poached Worsfold without a process then that's a fair comparison (although this is what Eliott did with Pagan). Hiring Voss, Ratten, etc isn't a fair comparison as they are not being poached from the same role that they are currently in.

Spot on. When "big appointments are targeted and pursused", the candidates are those who have already proven themselves in those roles.

When the candidates are those stepping up into that role for the first time, any major organisation would go through a thorough process to make sure that s/he was up to it.

What Steve says is right...if it was someone like Worsfold (who would be my absolute number 1 choice, if we could have anyone we wanted) Matthews, then you don't need to go through that process. They are proven performers, you know what you are getting. Sit down, chat, discuss their philosophy and where the Club is, and where it needs to go, and if you gell, appoint them.

But if it is untrieds like Voss, Buckley, McKenna (who I like the sound of more and more), Ratten etc, then because they have no runs on the board in that role, you must go through a process that allows you to determine how they would be in that role, and how they would compare to others.

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:47 pm 
Garry Crane

Rumours abounded after we played West Coast that Pratt's private plane was still on the Perth tarmac at 2.00am the next morning. Most people jumped to the conclusion he was meeting with Judd or Judd's representative.
Even give a thought as to who he was really meeting with?
Could it possibly have been WORSFOLD!
Get on board that train - big time.

Anyone know if his plane was still on the tarmac later that night after the Freo game?

Worsfold would be an ideal 'GET"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:05 am 
Rod Ashman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDdFop29MJg

Our future coach.

Going to be difficult to have a moral authority after this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:08 am 
Rod Ashman

chyna wrote:
Rumours abounded after we played West Coast that Pratt's private plane was still on the Perth tarmac at 2.00am the next morning. Most people jumped to the conclusion he was meeting with Judd or Judd's representative.
Even give a thought as to who he was really meeting with?
Could it possibly have been WORSFOLD!
Get on board that train - big time.

Anyone know if his plane was still on the tarmac later that night after the Freo game?

Worsfold would be an ideal 'GET"

Worsfold will have to be carried out cold and dead before he'd ever leave West Coast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next