Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next

To tank or not to tank???
YES - lets get picks 1 and 2 this year and be a force for the next 10 seasons 42%  42%  [ 77 ]
NO - we will be right with what we've got 58%  58%  [ 106 ]
Total votes : 183
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:59 am 
Craig Bradley

Clayman wrote:
If we don't trade our Round 1 & 2 picks, then we can continue to improve our list.

That is the key to success, not tanking.

exactly, the other danger you face, by having so many high draft picks, is that they are quality players, who will demand a quality price.

no good finishing last for 10 years, getting 20 players who are top 2 selections every year, if they keep leaving after 3 years becuase we cant fit them into our salary cap.

as it is, i think we will struggle in a few years with what we have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:59 am 
formerly p(12)terg

Hopefully the guys will be buoyed by the win this weekend, and want to continue that winning feeling with a finish in the 8 at least.

We almost lost Billy-Bob last year and lost Campo* the year before .. that's the sort of thing we can expect to see if we continue losing.

I voted "no" - I want to know what it's like to follow a winning team: so far, I have only experienced that on very few occasions.

*No great loss .. he'd be playing for the Ants now, anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:11 am 
Serge Silvagni

No :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:34 am 
Horrie Clover

brilliant idea!!!!!

Let's tank, and then let's tank next year, and the year after that as well

We'll be the laughing stock of the AFL, and our membership base will dwindle away, but even though we will be on the bottom, we will have the satisfaction of knowing that we have the best list :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

Tanking Carlton 2007 - It's all about Matthew Kreuzer :garthp:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:26 pm 
Horrie Clover

I have been a supporter of the tank in recent years purely because I did not think we had enough gold talent for us to give the comp a shake in the future, and I must stress thats what I want to be able to give the comp a massive shake not just make the finals.

Now with the recruitment of Gibbs, Murph, Hampson amoung others I believe we do have the solid gold base needed

What we have to do now is get a winning culture back to the club and to me the only way to do this is, funnily enough win

I also agree strongly that we can still increase our talent by picking wisely in the first two rounds of the draft

So no more tanking for this little black duck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

I don't get it. I really don't. All this talk, time and time again, of tanking.

The issue it not about tanking. The issue is never about tanking. Carlton will not tank. You can not send players out there with instructions to play less than 100%. Pagan will not select weak teams or deliberately play players out of position because if he does, and we lose, HE LOSES HIS JOB. Not to mention the knifing his ego takes, and coaches have big egos that don't like to be knifed.

Why do we keep discussing tanking when it is simply won't happen (with one exception, I'll admit, and that it might be the last game of the season, and we need to lose to get a PP, then you might pick a team of kids. But in that instance, bring it up then...why are we discussing it after round 3?).

The only issue in this is that as a supporter, do you want to lose in order to secure the picks. The last 2 seasons, I stopped going with 6 weeks to go because I knew we were better off with 4 wins and priority picks, than win 1 or 2 extra games and still be useless and not get the picks.

This is why I hate the priority pick. Not because a team might tank, but rather that supporters might want their clubs to lose, and that coaches and administrators might understand that we are better off losing.

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:56 pm 
Bob Chitty

Why is the tanking thread even on the frontpage after the miracle of Saturday? We are 2-1 after 3 games, tanking should not even rate a mention! I want a poll to have the tanking thread taken off the front page.

Finals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:10 pm 
Horrie Clover

nope not a good idea.

lets play finals this year instead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

Clayman wrote:
If we don't trade our Round 1 & 2 picks, then we can continue to improve our list.

That is the key to success, not tanking.

Claps, claps and chants ... Halleluiah now we are getting it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

timetodeliver2004 wrote:
Why is the tanking thread even on the frontpage after the miracle of Saturday? We are 2-1 after 3 games, tanking should not even rate a mention! I want a poll to have the tanking thread taken off the front page.

Finals!

Holy Moly ... now the "F" word is being used. I'm excited! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:19 pm 
Garry Crane

these draft picks you guys r all talking about really dont mean half as much as you all think

i saw a newspaper article (really wish i had a link right now) showing where the eagles premiership team of 06 came from and the only high draft picks weere banfield (#1) and judd(#3). beau water was next highest at about 8.

every1 else came from later picks, f/s rule and the likes of cox (and i think glass?) came from the rookie draft

intelligent drafting and player development is soooooooooooo much more important than high draft picks, and it is actually possible to be successful being down the bottom of the ladder for long periods of time[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:29 am 
Rod Ashman

imitation_of_life wrote:
these draft picks you guys r all talking about really dont mean half as much as you all think

i saw a newspaper article (really wish i had a link right now) showing where the eagles premiership team of 06 came from and the only high draft picks weere banfield (#1) and judd(#3). beau water was next highest at about 8.

every1 else came from later picks, f/s rule and the likes of cox (and i think glass?) came from the rookie draft

intelligent drafting and player development is soooooooooooo much more important than high draft picks, and it is actually possible to be successful being down the bottom of the ladder for long periods of time[/i]

Thats right,some get cocky because they are expected to go top 10 and then never make it,luck and dedication goes to it,just a better odds that are top 20 will make it then someone who is 45.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:40 am 
Horrie Clover

Now with the imminent loss of Stevens (for good possibly) has anyone changed their opinion???

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!

08/02/1981 - GATE 7...Our brothers will never be forgotten!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04 am 
Craig Bradley

no, there is a difference between wanting to lose, and accepting losing.

if we dont win another game for the rest of the year, so be it, we will finish last and get a PP.

but it is wanting to lose that is unacceptable, and frankly, the thought of it makes me sick.

i hate losing, and losing on purpose is even worse.

all i ask, from anyone that puts on the jumper is to give it their best. if we lose, so be it, if our players give it everything, that is all i want.

wanting to lose is something that we cant nor should accpet. regardless of the "rewards"

Last edited by ScottSaunders on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:05 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Here we go again, its rd 3 and we are sitting 2 and 1 and we are already talking about tanking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:18 am 
Harry Vallence

I'm embarrased that we have supporters who at Round 3 are raising the question of tanking. Making it even more remarkable and pitiful is that we have won 2 of our first 3 games and have showed enormous character and progress this year. Despicable... go barrack for St Kilda.

My week feels that much better after a win... or even after a competitive loss lately. Why would I, and other true supporters and the players, want fo feel shit each week just to get one extra pick in the draft.

Imitations post said it all... draft picks help, but guarantee nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:04 pm 
Robert Walls

GAVROMAN wrote:
Now with the imminent loss of Stevens (for good possibly) has anyone changed their opinion???

No. Imagine if we tank, get high draft picks and they suffer long term injuries. Will that make it worthwhile?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

If we get thumped this week, expect this thread to get a workout from all the rats who were there after the Geelong game.

oh dear :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't understand why people are taking such a rigid and humourless view of all this. The Carlton story is so full of ironies on so many levels that I thought we were over all this "Carlton are winners, high draft picks are for losers, shoot down anybody who mentions the 'T' word" type of mindset.

I'm not advocating we tank but I still think we need a few more 'elite' players on our list. People keep bringing up the word 'development' but you can not 'develop' what you don't possess. Carlton's reticence to trade players makes improvement of the list (for the long term) difficult when you finish higher up the ladder. I think posters on this, and other, Carlton sites fail to acknowledge this. Another possible way to improve our list is to draft youngsters with big ‘upsides’ in the hope that they will blossom into something ‘special’ but that takes risks and people don’t like that.

The next time someone mentions the ‘T’ word think about the bigger picture and thank god for Marc Murphy. 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next