Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 am 
Harry Vallence

SparkyBlue wrote:
Hmm... didn't Alastair Clarkson come out with the whole 'we won't be outmuscled' bit the start of last year... and the year before from that matter... :?:

I think it's a good mindset to put into the kids, couple that with a big influence at the club on hitting the gym to build a bit of bulk... might help puff out the chests a little... :)

Who knows, might make spankas like Didak thing twice before lining up a Carlton player...

Potential enforcers...

Ackland
Jordan Bannister
Cameron Cloke - he loves the biffo, doesn't he? :)
Fevola - he definitely doesn't mind the biffo. :-D
Koutoufides
Setanta and Aisake O'hAilpin *two ex-hurling Irish brothers*
David Teague - if he gets a game.
Bret Thornton
and *not* Houlahan. :wink: :-D

Wiggo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

For once I dont mind Pagans comments.

Kids are always gonna get targeted irrespective of what the coach says and what is written.

This just gives the young lads more confidence and might just make 'em walk a bit taller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
heartening words from Tim.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

All teams talk it up Feb onwards. No big deal. The real deal is Feb 24th at Docklands. If we can peform against a strong Esssendon lineup( lets hope Lloyd and Hird front) then thats what counts in terms of Membership. Talk in the end is cheap. Look at the Kangaroos .Their talking it up and I reckon they will finish last.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:28 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Yes! It's Feb! The footy's back! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:03 pm 
Horrie Clover

i think its a good call, put teams on the back foot! now there guessing, whats the game plan, remember its pagan his name does scare people still! dw boys all will be sorted soon and we shall be back winning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:57 pm 
John Nicholls

I think you'll find most people laugh when they hear the name Denis Pagan.

I just shake my head in amazement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:14 am 
Ken Hunter

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-carlton-salary-cap-rorting-denis-pagan-on-sacked-podcast-blues-problems-in-2000s-nearly-handed-back-license/news-story/5f3ce6ff58374dcacd0cd744a0925ce2

Quote:
Making matters worse when Pagan tried to fix the broken mess at Princes Park, he found many veteran players had “taken the club hostage”.

“Some of them were on huge money – $450,000 and $500,000 and they were playing 85 per cent of the games in reserves,” he said.

“There were so many blokes doing their own thing. They didn’t do weights … they turned up when they wanted to.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:21 am 
Geoff Southby

bluedog wrote:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-carlton-salary-cap-rorting-denis-pagan-on-sacked-podcast-blues-problems-in-2000s-nearly-handed-back-license/news-story/5f3ce6ff58374dcacd0cd744a0925ce2

Quote:
Making matters worse when Pagan tried to fix the broken mess at Princes Park, he found many veteran players had “taken the club hostage”.

“Some of them were on huge money – $450,000 and $500,000 and they were playing 85 per cent of the games in reserves,” he said.

“There were so many blokes doing their own thing. They didn’t do weights … they turned up when they wanted to.

And that is enough of a reason to keep the "old boys" out of the club and away from the players.
Times have changed and it has taken us the better part of 20 years to catch up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
bluedog wrote:

Quote:

And that is enough of a reason to keep the "old boys" out of the club and away from the players.

... and lets make sure this dark past in our history never happens again. Can we be sure about that today?

... and those senior players Pagan refers to disgust me too... whoever they are

.. and the stuck up Wayne Jackson, the vindictive and corrupted Andrew Demetriou and that thorn in the Carlton side,the ultra corrupt Graeme Samuels, we will never forget or forgive you.

... as for the crook Ronnie (not Biggs, but worse) Evans, you sneaky backstabbing corrupted Commissioner, never ever forgive let alone move the pointing bones to you and your clan.

Yes folks, the abovementioned, along with a few other Commissioners and other of their affiliaates with their strange "handshakes" infiltrated the AFL and have corrupted the code to create this mess we have today where no one knows what they are up to, let alone understand the rules of the game, the tribunal... everything they have touched has turned to shit. Their predecessors put together the AFL Commission to work for the clubs. and build the game.

Of course the AFL as a business was going to grow with all the hard work done before these clowns corrupted us, but how could they fail with all of us rusted on supporters of our clubs, like Drug addicts, always committed to funding the new "Dealers" of our Code.

In fact, I have more faith and respect in Drug Lords of South America than the AFL Commission because at least the drug lords show their cards and don't hide the fact they are criminals. The AFL Commission, on the other hand are worse than Trump with their constant cry of "Fake News", that "there's nothing wrong with the AFL", and "its never been better ".... what about our game flower?

Stop thinking about the bottom line because money it seems right now can't fix what is badly broken....I'm talking the game, not the business. :mad:

No one knows the rules of the game anymore. The game looks like rugby in the middle and rugby trying t fnd touch, and punches in the guts are condoned and the name players are let off when the no names players on a pittance compared to the stars are expected to play the guinea pig and the fall guy.

Disgusting corrupted AFL Commission ... I shouldn't have read that article ... I'm going to the beach for a cleansing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
bluedog wrote:

Quote:

Our two most successful times in the last 20 years have been when old boys Ratten and Teague have been in charge.
Its when we brought in outsiders like Pagan Malthouse and Bolton we sank to the bottom.

Just a correction of facts for you.

Pagan was the biggest mistake Jack made

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
bluedog wrote:

Quote:

Our two most successful times in the last 20 years have been when old boys Ratten and Teague have been in charge.
Its when we brought in outsiders like Pagan Malthouse and Bolton we sank to the bottom.

Nah. Getting caught was his biggest mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'd like to think cheating (and poking the bear while doing so) was his biggest mistake.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

Donstuie wrote:
I'd like to think cheating (and poking the bear while doing so) was his biggest mistake.

I’m with Bondi. Everyone was cheating. To be playing within the salary cap would have been playing with a serious handicap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
bluedog wrote:

Quote:

Firstly, I am speaking of pre Pagan when all of this started.
Secondly, let's not get ahead of ourselves, both Rattan and Teague have come off the back of some pretty good drafting and had teams given to them on a platter. Unlike Pagan and Bolton who both inherited wooden spoon teams (even though technically Teague has, all the building and most of the development has already been done for him).
And I think you'll find in all cases of us being at the bottom it was more to do with the board and it's backers and them not getting with the times. You know, "We're Carlton F....... the rest!" And the only past player that seems to have done something positive for the club is SOS and if all stories are correct he too still possessed the self entitled arrogance that is no longer accepted in AFL clubs.
Plus you do realise that Teague only came to Carlton because of Pagan, if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
bluedog wrote:

Quote:

Firstly, I am speaking of pre Pagan when all of this started.
Secondly, let's not get ahead of ourselves, both Rattan and Teague have come off the back of some pretty good drafting and had teams given to them on a platter. Unlike Pagan and Bolton who both inherited wooden spoon teams (even though technically Teague has, all the building and most of the development has already been done for him).
And I think you'll find in all cases of us being at the bottom it was more to do with the board and it's backers and them not getting with the times. You know, "We're Carlton F....... the rest!" And the only past player that seems to have done something positive for the club is SOS and if all stories are correct he too still possessed the self entitled arrogance that is no longer accepted in AFL clubs.
Plus you do realise that Teague only came to Carlton because of Pagan, if I recall correctly.

Yep ! good stuff Sidey.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

Don't let the past affect the now. All aboard the Teague train and "live in the now". Go Blues! and smash Collingwood. :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:38 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Nice post Bondi.
I was going to weigh in on the argument but it was so long ago that I decided against it.
We all did our bit back then when times were tough and they needed the members and supporters to pay stupid prices for teeshirts and recruit their mates as members and so on.

The catchcry of th time was approriate.

Its MY club.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:56 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Listened to that podcast and he is clearly referring to Ratts in terms of refusing to do weights

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:44 pm 
Robert Walls

Just for reference, the 2007 playing list:

Cain Ackland - Joe Anderson - Mark Austin - Jordan Bannister - Adam Bentick - Eddie Betts - Luke Blackwell - Paul Bower - Andrew Carrazzo - Cameron Cloke - Brendan Fevola - Brad Fisher - Bryce Gibbs - Shaun Grigg - Shaun Hampson - Adam Hartlett - Ryan Houlihan - Ryan Jackson - Michael Jamison - Josh Kennedy - Anthony Koutoufides - Matthew Lappin - Marc Murphy - Setanta Ó hAilpín - Jordan Russell - Jason Saddington - Heath Scotland - Kade Simpson - Nick Stevens - Bret Thornton - Jarrad Waite - Andrew Walker - Lance Whitnall - Simon Wiggins - Ross Young

We won 4 games for the year.