Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Pagan: You won't push us around.
Quote:
"Buoyed by now having nine players among the top 20 picks in recent drafts, including three No. 1 selections in Walker, Murphy and Bryce Gibbs, Pagan feels the Blues have a nucleus capable of building towards a premiership.

Of a list of 43 we have got at the moment, including our rookies, there might be four or five who perhaps you could say are going to struggle to be in Carlton's next premiership," he said.

It's great to see positive comments in an article like this in the Herald Sun and read that we have nine top 20 picks on the list. But we still need one more year at the bottom to make us our list an unbeatable one in terms of gun young talent we have at our disposal. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:37 am 
Stephen Silvagni

BlueIce wrote:
Quote:
"Buoyed by now having nine players among the top 20 picks in recent drafts, including three No. 1 selections in Walker, Murphy and Bryce Gibbs, Pagan feels the Blues have a nucleus capable of building towards a premiership.

Of a list of 43 we have got at the moment, including our rookies, there might be four or five who perhaps you could say are going to struggle to be in Carlton's next premiership," he said.

It's great to see positive comments in an article like this in the Herald Sun and read that we have nine top 20 picks on the list. But we still need one more year at the bottom to make us our list an unbeatable one in terms of gun young talent we have at our disposal. 8)

True, but Walker went at number 2.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:57 am 
Harry Vallence

BlueIce wrote:
Quote:

Yeah one more year at the bottom is just what we need :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:12 am 
Harry Vallence

and these sound like fighting words:

Quote:
Pagan, who has vowed to unleash an attacking game plan,

maybe he's been listening..........

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:01 am 
Geoff Southby

Good stuff - nice to hear. I think he's sounding a bit different this year.

Also interesting to note the psychology of Blues fans - if 'earlier this week' hadn't happened I think we'd have been very excited by the comments in here. Its true - we have a great on-field story to tell but we keep on clouding that message with self-generated garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:13 am 
Rod Ashman

The Vet wrote:

Quote:

Hooray...! Sounds like a positive step forward, no more 'shut the floodgates - turn this into a 5 goal loss instead of 15' attitude. Attacking football builds confidence and self-belief... I know it's different, but when I was playing juniors I was in a team that habitually got belted by 20+ goals... and constantly defending, defending, defending really shatters the confidence, because - when you finally do get the ball and your teammates are streaming forward - you don't know what to do...

I'd love to see the Blues play a similar style of football to the Bulldogs, the running attacking brand that has brought them success so far. I believe that the Blues are starting to resemble dogs, as far as being heavy in the 'small running midfielder' department.

Good to hear that Pagan is starting to make adjustments to his previous game plan, which I was under the impression was set in stone... all we need now is self belief and a little bit of experience...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:29 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The Vet wrote:

Quote:

YES! Very happy to hear these words cause last years game-plan was anything but attacking.

I'm excited by the fact that Denis has finally come-to-light and has seen the need for change (in tatics & Gameplan).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:17 am 
Stephen Kernahan

heartening words from Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Actions always speak louder, but it's nice to hear some positive press come out of the club for a change.

More please.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:34 am 
Ken Hunter

verbs wrote:
BlueIce wrote:
Quote:

Do you feel better now for that snipet ?

Regards Cazzesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:55 am 
John James

ryan2000 wrote:
The Vet wrote:

Quote:

YES! Very happy to hear these words cause last years game-plan was anything but attacking.

I'm excited by the fact that Denis has finally come-to-light and has seen the need for change (in tatics & Gameplan).

Whether his does or not is another thing. He might go into his shell if we start getting belted! Talk is cheap at the moment! I will believe it when I see it from Pagan! We need the Russell's the Hartlett's teh Waites and Fisher to step up if they dont we are going no where and all deserve to be traded al delisted!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
BlueIce wrote:
Quote:

No, the Herald Sun say Walker was drafted at number one and they're always right. :lol: :lol:
[url=http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21150652%255E20322,00.html]Pagan: You won't push us around
[/url]
Quote:
including three No. 1 selections in Walker, Murphy and Bryce Gibbs,

Last edited by Kouta on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Belt em blueboys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:19 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Attack

Attack

Attack

Attack

Attack

Attack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:21 am 
Robert Walls

Quote:
CARLTON coach Denis Pagan has declared his young Blues won't be outmuscled in 2007.

After finishing last on the ladder in the past two years, Pagan said the rebuilding Blues were tired of being pushed around and had added crucial bulk over summer to ensure they could cope with the demands of elite football.

"For so many years, we have been physically mauled by the competition," Pagan said yesterday.

"We have been inferior in size, in power, in strength. We have made a real focus of that.

"We are not going to be outmatched by bigger, stronger sides now."

He said the exact same thing this time last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:29 am 
Serge Silvagni

I wouldn't get too worked up about the words that Pagan has "vowed to unleash an attacking game plan" . . .

It's not a direct quote -- I wouldn't trust anything said in any article without quotation marks on either side!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Open invitation for every club in the league to come out and bash our kids .

He is an idiot who has he got in the Side beside the two book ends that will fly the flag if a side decided to push them around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:48 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I have to agree with Dannyboy and say that we probably will get belted as we still look young and small (BUT tall).

Don't care though if we see players attacking and backing themselves...there's plenty of talent there.

I think even Pagan's worst defensive games were no worse that the ring-a-ring-a-rosy we were doing in 2002 with Britain (we forget quickly)...hopefully some of the pain of the last couple of years has meant players have learnt some defensive skills whilst having a pent up energy to explode with attack..it's what we like to hear

Fingers crossed...we get to see it too!

But still

WHO IS OUR ENFORCER???

Can we tell Fev that the opposition players are all Irish barmen??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sydney Blue wrote:
Open invitation for every club in the league to come out and bash our kids .

He is an idiot who has he got in the Side beside the two book ends that will fly the flag if a side decided to push them around

Teams will try it anyway....intimidiating younger teams is all part of the learning experience and our blokes will need to toughen up.
Gibbs will be a target as will Murphy...its up to Kennedy, Setanta, Fev, Thornton, Ackland and Cloke to look after them initially.
I think Cloke has to be a bit of a leader in this area.....he isnt the most gifted player but there is an opportunity for him to provide some grunt and cover for our younger blokes.....Ackland, Mclaren are fairly passive and Kennedy is still learning the game but Cloke has been around a while and I am sure Pagan will be wanting him to throw his weight around and get involved in the physical side of the game.

I'm interested to see how Gibbs handles the Picketts, Archers etc and how the rough treatment affects his game......in SA he didnt seem to get tagged or cop much physical stuff....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:11 am 
Rod Ashman

Hmm... didn't Alastair Clarkson come out with the whole 'we won't be outmuscled' bit the start of last year... and the year before from that matter... :?:

I think it's a good mindset to put into the kids, couple that with a big influence at the club on hitting the gym to build a bit of bulk... might help puff out the chests a little... :)

Who knows, might make spankas like Didak thing twice before lining up a Carlton player...

Potential enforcers...

Ackland
Jordan Bannister
Cameron Cloke - he loves the biffo, doesn't he? :)
Fevola - he definitely doesn't mind the biffo. :-D
Koutoufides
Setanta and Aisake O'hAilpin *two ex-hurling Irish brothers*
David Teague - if he gets a game.
Bret Thornton
and *not* Houlahan. :wink: :-D