Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:08 am 
Craig Bradley

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:33 am 
Ken Hunter

I think Smorgo has forgot the past 15 years where the Doggies have been helped with a handout. This is hopefully our 1st and last time. Some folks have very short memories.

Regards Cazzesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:37 am 
Craig Bradley

Smorgo has had the hates for us for years. Hes just sensing an oppurtunity to lay the boots in so hes going for it.

Let him have his soap box. Lets just stick to our business and get on with rebuilding this club on and off the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:39 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think Smorgans comments are fair enough and we have to wear it......our history of arrogance hasnt done us any favours with the other clubs and I dont expect or court their sympathy...its up to us to show we are better than the Dogs etc by rebuilding the club and getting ourselves off the soup line....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:48 am 
Harry Vallence

Having been forced effectively by the AFL to the Dome(for Home matches) rather than an exclusive deal with the MCG,it would be hard for Demetriou et al to turn around and expect us to sell Home games interstate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Every club cant sell every home game interstate - you have to play one match in Melbourne every weekend. :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:54 am 
Robert Walls

Didn't Jack refer to the Dogs as having a 'tragic' history.
Smogo's sold the steel business, he's now putting his energy into getting even while the opportunity is around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:13 am 
Serge Silvagni

Just another episode of "Family Feud".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:35 am 
Harry Vallence

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
I think Smorgans comments are fair enough and we have to wear it......our history of arrogance hasnt done us any favours with the other clubs and I dont expect or court their sympathy...its up to us to show we are better than the Dogs etc by rebuilding the club and getting ourselves off the soup line....

Agree Elwood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:59 am 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Quote:
Smogo's sold the steel business, he's now putting his energy into getting even while the opportunity is around.

It was our Smorgon who sold the steel business..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

Josh Kaplan wrote:
Quote:

It was our Smorgon who sold the steel business..

Well maybe he could kick in a few bucks from the 1.4 BILLION (I think that was the figure I heard) to get our club back on an even keel, rather than go begging on every street corner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:58 pm 
Wayne Johnston

sooky sooky la la :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:03 pm 
Herald Sun columnist

Which Smorgan daddy had the most money - Graham or David's?

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:11 pm 
Horrie Clover

DownUnderChick wrote:
Which Smorgan daddy had the most money - Graham or David's?

I believe that Smorgon funds are a legacy of generations prior to the either Smorgon Dog and Smorgon Blue.

&

I AM PROUD SPONSOR OF THE CAROLINE WILSON HATE CLUB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:57 pm 
Robert Walls

I think they each ended up with a squid load of cash after the break up of Smorgon Consolidated in about 99. They also offloaded ANI at about that time.

Josh, you're right about being the wrong Smorg, but Dog Smorg was on the radio the other day talking about the sale - might have held some interest there perhaps. Who knows. Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:28 pm 
Horrie Clover

Elwood Blues1 wrote:

Spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

And we've left ourselves open to these sorts of comments because of the mess that the club has got itself in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What David Smorgan and a few other people are quick to forget is we have sold of our home games already......................To the @#$%&! TELSTRA DOME........................Despite the fans objections!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:53 pm 
Herald Sun columnist

Quote:
What David Smorgan and a few other people are quick to forget is we have sold of our home games already......................To the F@%&#! TELSTRA DOME........................Despite the fans objections!

That's exactly right Ryan2000.

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:07 am 
Trevor Keogh

It's really disappointing for people to continue to show no mercy to the Club. I listened to this morning's Sport 927 and Mitho and Tony Jones saying that effectively we've done nothing to turn the club around etc and have effectively sat on our hands since 2001.

The members have dug deep since the draft penalties and fine, the club has looked at ways to reduce its debt, we've moved away from our traditional home, etc. we've invested heavily in blooding youth, etc. I'm not sure what more we could have done.

I agree with Elwood that to some extent we have to wear it, but I do think there is an agenda from rival clubs to keep rubbishing the brand. The oracle Tony Jones said we could have improved our list by now -- how, without any currency to improve the list and the media perpetuating that we're a basket case -- hardly a workable formula to improve the list.

A number of people (both at club level and in the media) do not want to see us climb and despite them describing their arguments as being based on "transparency", etc, like David Smorgan this morning. Call me cynical but I really do think it's just the opportunity to lay the boot in and keep us in the headlines for all of the wrong reasons.

These are the interviews in question for those that are interested:

http://www.sport927.com.au/gateway/Daily_Audio/Sound%20Grabs/DS_300606.mp3

http://www.sport927.com.au/gateway/Daily_Audio/Sound%20Grabs/TJ_300606.mp3