Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Fev backs Pagan
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:03 am 
Harry Vallence

In today's Herald, (can't find the refernce on the web), Fev makes an impassioned defence of Pagan, claiming all players are behind him, and that we all (supporters included) should lay off - compared it to the talk last year asking for malthouses head.

The Age notes it here:Blues make like Socceroos

Quote:
Denis is Denis and I don't think he's got a worry in the world. The boys love him and we love the way he coaches and the way he communicates with the boys. I think everyone's behind him 100 per cent."

Quote:
Fevola said he was dismayed that some Carlton diehards had called for Pagan's head on chat pages: "Yeah, you do get a bit upset with the supporters. I think it happens at every club.

Quote:
You see last year, Collingwood supporters wanted Mick Malthouse to be sacked and you have a look at them now without their injuries, and you look at us — we're such a young group.

Quote:
"Denis is really trying hard to work with us … hopefully they (supporters) will get off his back."

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:05 am 
Bruce Doull

Its called "chook feeding"..

Thats why you cant believe anything in the paper....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:18 am 
Trevor Keogh

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19237693-23211,00.html

Bit more "quoting" of the Fev ......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:24 am 
Robert Walls

Just a rehash of http://carltonfc.com.au/default.asp?pg= ... eid=268011

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:57 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

So when the players come out and say they are 100% behind the coach, they are disappointed at fans calling for his head and that the coach communicates well with them, its all a media beat up and smokescreen for a bit of publicity.

But when some anonymous peanut on a web forum calls for the coaches head and wants to start a petition, its all high 5's and backslapping because he is on the money???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:17 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
2ndeffort wrote:
So when the players come out and say they are 100% behind the coach, they are disappointed at fans calling for his head and that the coach communicates well with them,

I must have missed some of those articles 2nd effort.

How many of the "players" said all that? :shock:

Fevola said that in his interview. He said it on behalf of the players as a comment about the group, not just as an individual, in fact his words were:

Quote:
"He's got the full support, he's got no worries. Denis is Denis and I don't think he's got a worry in the world. The boys love him, they love the way he coaches and the way he communicates. Everyone is behind him 100 per cent,"

link is:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19238002%255E20322,00.html

Additionally, Nick Stevens also supported Dennis during an interview last week, his words were:

Quote:
I think he's done a great job considering he's come to the club with a great record and it's probably hurt his win-loss ratio at the moment, but the boys are pretty keen to get that back up for him,"

and:

Quote:
"All the rumours about trouble with the coaches . . . you couldn't get a closer bunch of guys with the coaching staff, not just Denis but all the coaches we've got.

the link is:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19200933%255E19762,00.html

There may be others, these are just the two senior players to speak out in the last week or so. You should read Stevo's article, it talks about how the group is very tight and improving.

If I was asked about the Carlton playing group and their relationship with the coach, I'd probably beleive the combined public output of Nick Stevens and Brendan Fevola before I beleived an anonymous poster (who as already been banned on TC) from BF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:18 am 
Robert Walls

Quote:
So when the players come out and say they are 100% behind the coach, they are disappointed at fans calling for his head and that the coach communicates well with them, its all a media beat up and smokescreen for a bit of publicity.

But when some anonymous peanut on a web forum calls for the coaches head and wants to start a petition, its all high 5's and backslapping because he is on the money???

Spot on 2nd Effort - probably time you took a break from this forum though, your rational position won't be supported by the anonymous peanuts. Yay for commonsense at last though :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:52 am 
Garry Crane

What do you expect....That there gonna come out and say we hate the moron, that does not have a game plan. Has us running around like chooks without heads. They also said they were 100% behind Brittain too....Think about it.. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:56 am 
Harry Vallence

Ah, 2ndefort, that was a pretty poor effort you know, both from you and Fev. Do you believe everything you read? Better wise up fella.

I'd more worried than not worried about this article if I was Denis, because clubs usually knife a coach after they've backed them in publicly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:23 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Speakers wrote:
Ah, 2ndefort, that was a pretty poor effort you know, both from you and Fev. Do you believe everything you read? Better wise up fella.

I'd more worried than not worried about this article if I was Denis, because clubs usually knife a coach after they've backed them in publicly.

Yep fair call, what was I thinking listening to the players. What was I thinking reading the paper!! What would a couple of players and some Journo's know about it anyway, I mean there's loads of folks on the forums that 'just know' these things anyway. Fans go to the games and dont need to be told what's going on, they can tell when the coach has lost the players, just look at the team. In fact there's probably folks in the outer that can tell the coach has lost the players 2 seasons before the players know themselves.

I wonder if there was a player come out and say he hated playing for Pagan and was lost to him 2 seasons ago how many posters would then lend some credibility to the papers and jump on the 'told you so' bandwagon.

Oh and no I dont beleive everything I read, in fact I try to make a valued and intelligent assessment of the evidence on offer and take a logical stance from that. In this case we have on one side:

*rumours, conjecture and whinging from fans on web forums with pretty much nothing else to back it up. Sure the team's not travelling well but there are plausible alternate excuses for that.

on the other hand we have:

*a proud coach with a great record who has been re-signed by the board for a second tenure. We have senior players supporting him in the media and we have a president who is also supporting him in the media. I know that presidents have supported coaches before just before they sacked him. i know there's a rumour going around that Pagan's re-negotiating his contract. But in the absence of any evidence these are just that, rumours.

If I am so totally naive and misguided can somebody do me the courtesy of providing some good evidence to the contrary. I have been good enough to provide links and quotes to support my previous post. If somebody's got some 'PaganGate' tape transcripts or Board meeting minutes then trot them out now and I will happily accept your position.

Rumour, innuendo and the Dennis Denuto defence of 'the vibe' are no substitute for the public record. How about a bit of evidence before you criticise. Oh and additionally, I dont reckon Fev is smart enough to be playing mind games through the media regarding Dennis' contract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:30 am 
Craig Bradley

2ndeffort wrote:

Of course it is. Same as politics, you follow the "party line" when talking to the press. That's not hard to work out. Anyone knows that unless you're horribly niave. That's how the sysem works. Players used to say exactly the same thing in 1989 about Robert Walls too until he got sacked. Then we went from 2 wins wins from 10 matches to win 7 1/2 of the next 10, the other 2 games were losses by 3 and 4 points, one of those to Hawthorn who went on to win the flag.

Last edited by jim on Wed May 24, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:32 am 
Craig Bradley

2ndeffort wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
2ndeffort wrote:
So when the players come out and say they are 100% behind the coach, they are disappointed at fans calling for his head and that the coach communicates well with them,

I must have missed some of those articles 2nd effort.

How many of the "players" said all that? :shock:

Fevola said that in his interview. He said it on behalf of the players as a comment about the group, not just as an individual, in fact his words were:

Quote:
"He's got the full support, he's got no worries. Denis is Denis and I don't think he's got a worry in the world. The boys love him, they love the way he coaches and the way he communicates. Everyone is behind him 100 per cent,"

link is:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19238002%255E20322,00.html

Additionally, Nick Stevens also supported Dennis during an interview last week, his words were:

Quote:
I think he's done a great job considering he's come to the club with a great record and it's probably hurt his win-loss ratio at the moment, but the boys are pretty keen to get that back up for him,"

and:

Quote:
"All the rumours about trouble with the coaches . . . you couldn't get a closer bunch of guys with the coaching staff, not just Denis but all the coaches we've got.

the link is:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19200933%255E19762,00.html

There may be others, these are just the two senior players to speak out in the last week or so. You should read Stevo's article, it talks about how the group is very tight and improving.

If I was asked about the Carlton playing group and their relationship with the coach, I'd probably beleive the combined public output of Nick Stevens and Brendan Fevola before I beleived an anonymous poster (who as already been banned on TC) from BF.
Are you the same person who'd be sucked in to buying an expensive "lemon" as a used car salemans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:33 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Molly wrote:
Spot on 2nd Effort - probably time you took a break from this forum though, your rational position won't be supported by the anonymous peanuts. Yay for commonsense at last though :-D

An interesting theory Molly.

Anyone who doesnt support what your view as a "rational position" is an anonymous peanut. :?

I'd suggest Brendan Fevola is supporting the coach. Good on him.
But to suggest he speaks for all the players is laughable.

The club captain came out recently and nominated Wayne Brittain as the greatest influence on his career.
Most including the media viewed this as undermining Denis Pagan.

Was he acting on behalf of the players as well?
I dont think so.
I'd suggest there are players very happy with Denis' coaching and there are players disenchanted.

Lets not be foolish enough to suggest one player speaks for 38. :lol:

Last edited by Blue Vain on Wed May 24, 2006 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:34 am 
Harry Vallence

I gotta take you to task on this passage 2nd, sorry. :oops:

2ndeffort wrote:
*rumours, conjecture and whinging from fans on web forums with pretty much nothing else to back it up. Sure the team's not travelling well but there are plausible alternate excuses for that.

IMHO it should have read....

NOTHING, NIL, ZILCH, NADA, ETC. :P :P :P

But They Just Can't Kill The Beast!" <2016

THE BLUEBAGGER BEAST IS BAACKK!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:35 am 
Robert Walls

ubettsya wrote:
What do you expect....That there gonna come out and say we hate the moron, that does not have a game plan. Has us running around like chooks without heads. They also said they were 100% behind Brittain too....Think about it.. :?

Wasn't aware the players weren't behind Brittain. Thought it was Jack trying to come up with a way of saving his skin.

If the players aren't behind Pagan they just sidestep the issue like all good politicians do. They don't have to come out and actually say they support him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:45 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Oh 2nd, let me go over a couple of things quickly.

Dennis saved Fevola's career, do we expect him to say anything different? Of course he likes him, but if he didn't would he say anything else when asked?

Furthermore if you were a hack player with no chance of getting a game anywhere else I am pretty sure you would like the coach that keeps you on a playing list and never blames you for heavy defeats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:51 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jim wrote:
2ndeffort wrote:

Of course it is. Same as politics, you follow the "party line" when talking to the press. That's not hard to work out. Anyone knows that.

Actually what you do is avoid, twist and alter the answers to cover your owen agenda. If there were things afoot I'm not sure the club would want Fev speaking to the media on the issue. let's face it Fev's no rhode scholar and any elaborate cover job is in jeopardy if Fev's answering the questions.

Have you ever seen Howard/Costello being interviewed?? Here's an example of what Smorgon would say if he was up to something:

(Reporter) Mr Smorgon, the Blues are in deep trouble, your finances are in a perilous state and the latest rumours have you looking to sack your coach, what do you have to say:

(Smorgon) I think what is important here is the tremdous effort being put in by everybody. This is a strong club, a proud club, we've been around for over 100 years and we're all pulling in the same direction. I'm not going to speculate on what we might or might not do, but you can rest assured and I'd like all of our supporters to know that everybody from the Board to the coach to the playing group is doing absolutely everything we can to turn this club around.

(Journo) Are you going to sack your coach

(Smorgon) Dennis has done an exceptional job of growing our list. he has set about rebuilding our list over the last couple of years. Things havent been easy for a proud guy such as him and with the added difficulty of draft penalties it has been a herculean effort.

(Journo) But your team keeps losing and you havent answered the question, what about your coach

(Smorgon) Our coach is not the issue here. You can talk about coaches all you want but what we should really be talking about is the AFLs decision on MC Labour Park. We are down at the monment and a strong Carlton is good for the AFL.......blah....blah....blah!!!

Non commital, a riddle within an enigma etc etc. You dont send Stevo and Fev out to say:

"we are 100% behind Dennis and he is great"

If there's trouble you send some fringe players to a human interest story at the Children's Hospital etc. You have a story on Kouta at the soccer. You do not invite the media to aim their guns at you.

Most of the coaches that do get sacked are pretty much known about in the media in the lead up. Remember danny Frawley and Schwab. Basically they have that 'Dead Man Walking' look about them. Most of the media pundits seem to think Pagan is the best guy for the club at the moment. It seems only to be supporters upset at results that are angry at him. He doesnt seem to have that air of leprosy about him just yet.

As I said though, I might be wrong, give me some evidence guys, something more than a 'vibe'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:52 am 
Stephen Kernahan

In fairness to Fevola and 2nd effort, I truly believe Fev is a big supporter of Pagan. I also have no doubt there are several players who are big supporters of Pagan.

I just think it's unrealistic to suggest Fevola speaks on behalf of the total list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:58 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
In fairness to Fevola and 2nd effort, I truly believe Fev is a big supporter of Pagan. I also have no doubt there are several players who are big supporters of Pagan.

I just think it's unrealistic to suggest Fevola speaks on behalf of the total list.

I think it is unrealistic to suggest that any player at any AFL club speaks on behalf of the total list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

If there is nothing wrong and all the players are 100% behing Pagan

Why say anything at all

Why even mention it

They could show it by their actions on the football field