Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:01 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bluehammer wrote:
I refuse to watch anything to confirm this but I thought Pitto played really well, yet doesn't rate a mention in many write ups.

Am I off the mark?

Yes. His opponent was in their top 5. I had Pitto in our bottom 5. I think he's a reserve level ruckman. Can't question the effort - just not good enough. So we currently have a ruckman who essentially isn't up to it and another who shows glimpses around the ground but rarely in the ruck.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:07 am 
Geoff Southby

Pitto had twice as many hit outs as mcineney yet had half (or less) the influence. Most of his disposals would have also come in junk time. He is your honest vanilla ruckman who is ok. Wouldn't mind him just bashing it forward 30 metres every so often just to do something different

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:09 am 
Craig Bradley

azzablue wrote:
side note a question I wanted answered , we are getting smashed by a strong midfield , why is Kennedy on the bench until we are 7 goals down ???

Because he wasn’t going that well beforehand
Kennedy was taken out of the midfield and played at HB
Now on the bench
A sub who comes on when the game is three quarters done should light up the stats sheet
Particularly a tough contest like last night

Voss should try Kennedy in attack
He has had success there in the past
He would be better than JOS

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:14 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
azzablue wrote:
side note a question I wanted answered , we are getting smashed by a strong midfield , why is Kennedy on the bench until we are 7 goals down ???

Because he wasn’t going that well beforehand
Kennedy was taken out of the midfield and played at HB
Now on the bench
A sub who comes on when the game is three quarters done should light up the stats sheet
Particularly a tough contest like last night

Voss should try Kennedy in attack
He has had success there in the past
He would be better than JOS

Our midfield mix doesn’t work

Hewitt and Kennedy are problems. Shouldn’t be in your top line midfield. Are more effective as a support cast.

Heavily reliant on Cripps and Walsh, who both had shockers last night.

At least Cerra has stepped up this year. Played well last night.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

We gifted them 85% of their score from turnover. We were caught in the hype of last week and thought we had found the magic formula of ball movement but it's a bit harder when you are playing a quality opposition. Lions didn't take the high risk kicks into the corridor. They moved the ball with system, workrate and method. That's the key. There is no easy, lazy method of moving the ball. You can't play West Coast every week.

We have to consider how many players we can retain in the 22 who can't kick the ball. They all offer something positive but 85 points from turnover? We won contested ball, hitouts to advantage, centre clearances, ground balls but we kept giving it back under little pressure and they made us pay.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:23 am 
Harry Vallence

Is it personnel or is it game style that is the problem?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:28 am 
Bob Chitty

Another lamentable performance in a disappointing year.
Our “leaders” and more senior players were atrocious last night - Cripps, Weitering, Walsh, McGovern. No impact from Harry and Charlie but hardly surprising given how we move the ball.
The coach’s game plan was worked out 20 games ago and we haven’t been able to do anything different.
Loser mentality coming to the fore again as many others have said. Losing is institutionalised at CFC. Coming up small in big games is too.
We’re not playing like a top 8 team which is so disappointing. We’re 14 games away from the 8th anniversary of the 2015 draft, thr start of the rebuild, 0 finals appearances over 7 seasons since and looking very average in season 8. No one would have accepted this as a good outcome back in 2015. I fear we may be waiting for the train that is never arriving

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

FarmerBlue wrote:

Both.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:31 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
We gifted them 85% of their score from turnover. We were caught in the hype of last week and thought we had found the magic formula of ball movement but it's a bit harder when you are playing a quality opposition. Lions didn't take the high risk kicks into the corridor. They moved the ball with system, workrate and method. That's the key. There is no easy, lazy method of moving the ball. You can't play West Coast every week.

We have to consider how many players we can retain in the 22 who can't kick the ball. They all offer something positive but 85 points from turnover? We won contested ball, hitouts to advantage, centre clearances, ground balls but we kept giving it back under little pressure and they made us pay.

Good summary

Need to find a better balance between defence and attack. We lack a system whereby we change how we move the ball during a game. It’s very predictable. I think it contributes to some of the turnovers through indecision.

Voss should be having a few words to Weitering about his turnovers last night. As an experienced player he needs to be a lot better.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:34 am 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:

So last week wasn’t a true reflection on where we are at as I said
We were caught in the hype of last week
Should that be the case given what the team has dished up from round 11 2022?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
We have to consider how many players we can retain in the 22 who can't kick the ball.

That's right.

No one doubts that Jack Silvagni gives his all every week but his inability to frequently hit targets is a huge problem. Many of his turnovers are 'easy' kicks where a Carlton player is free and they are about to move the ball inside 50.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:45 am 
Ken Hunter

WOW wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Good summary

Need to find a better balance between defence and attack. We lack a system whereby we change how we move the ball during a game. It’s very predictable. I think it contributes to some of the turnovers through indecision.

Voss should be having a few words to Weitering about his turnovers last night. As an experienced player he needs to be a lot better.

85% is insane.

We've over-corrected from last year and now can't quite figure out how to get some balance back.

We're going to have a pretty full list available soon so there's no excuse for not trying something different.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:48 am 
Bob Chitty

Blue Vain wrote:

spot on.

poor execution, just lead to putting ourselves under more pressure with slower ball movement, which put us under pressure even further ...

when we went and we executed it, they didnt have the answers ..

very frustrating game. St Kilda MKII last night ... in it, but never really, just waiting for them to have that patch where the game is beyond us ... and only because of our poor execution, not their brillant game play ...

sides are almost prepared to conceed the ball, knowing that we will turn it over, and becuase we have turned it over, we are completly in the wrong positions and it becomes an easy result ...

st.kilda = small forwards killed us, brisbane = small forward killed us ...

rinse and repeat ...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:50 am 
Harry Vallence

Apparently we have only won 5 of our last 18 games?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:56 am 
Harry Vallence

Effes wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:

Both.

Maybe but I struggle to believe a side with Cripps Walsh Saad Docherty Hewett Cerra McKay Curnow Weitering McGovern Acres shouldn’t be better

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:01 am 
Rod Ashman

Traveller86 wrote:
Keithy wrote:
If our club is really serious we should put up Cripps for trade we have got the best out of him would get us two early picks just saying

Lol

I agree, we should trade Cripps. Not because he’s not good but because he’s too good to go his whole career without the opportunity of success. Let’s be honest, Carlton are nowhere.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:08 am 
Craig Bradley

We are just not mentally switched on like last year. Not sure if we thought it would just happen but we don't want it bad enough. While skills can be a pressure thing they are also a concentration thing. They are a barometer on how switched on and hungry we really are. When we are hungry, like last year, our skills were so much better.

Talent wise we are good enough and deep enough. We were a couple of late chokes away from finals last year with a side crippled with injury, winning decent games with half a side. Thing is though, only the hungriest succeed in this game and we are back to not being hungry enough to succeed like we have been for many years.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:08 am 
Rod Ashman

WOW wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Good summary

Voss should be having a few words to a career counsellor, it’s not too late for him to find something he’s good at.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:12 am 
Rod Ashman

WOW wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Good summary

So what makes a player turn the ball over? pressure from the opposition, lack of concentration, lack of confidence, intimidated that they will be hit or just being blase? Teams know put the heat on and we will crumble. Whatever it is this part of our game must be our number 1 priority. Start with Weitering, he looks so confused and careless at the moment.

The turn overs are really exposing our backline which stood up well last year and parts of this year.

The other thing, teams have worked out that Saad will often do a short kick and then get the ball back, the receiver needs to be smart and only give it back to him if he is in a good position. It seems they just do what they are told rather than play instinct/smart football. Lot of confused players out there.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:25 am 
Rod Ashman

GWS wrote:
I wasn’t excited CK.

I was dreading this game.

Every time we have an opportunity to take a significant step we fall over.

It’s been going on for years. It’s like the club is playing perpetual rope a dope with its supporters.

An incredible lack of leadership all over the ground and a playing group who seem entirely unconcerned with losing.

My life is really good outside of football. Not sure why I keep doing this to myself.

I’m pretty close to done.

Hang in the GWS - many feel the same.

My London Blues are faring even worse so it’s a bloody tough time.

There’s been some roasting for so many leaving the game early but other fans don’t understand our utter exasperation at being let down so comprehensively yet again. Another test failed, pretty spectacularly. The club will have noticed - and the boos.

Haven’t we suffered enough? Weren’t the good times we got to taste last year that were so delicious supposed to be laid out like a smorgasbord this year????

It‘a nothing like the Chelsea utter implosion - Carlton just gave us another horrible reminder it’s not as good as we hoped and some of us feel a bit silly for believing that naughty girlfriend wouldn’t do the dirty on us again after coming home alone last week. Of course she did.

Maybe Tassie won’t be my second team after all …
:cry: :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next