Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We look a million times better when Cripps gets going

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:56 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Can we call this the Stephen Bradbury thread?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:58 am 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
We look a million times better when Cripps gets going

We look a million times better when they all get going :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:

Ouch.

Hey, what people tend to overlook is that Stephen Bradbury had GET to the final in the first place;
i.e. he was GOOD enough to win heats, finals, semis etc. so was a worthy contender regardless of what happened in the final.

Doesn't matter if others have to 'fall over' we STILL have to do our own job too.

Besides, ill conceived losses to Port & Melbourne and how the hell did we choose to be the only team beaten by Hawthorn in 3 months beats me means we Should have been higher up and safely in place already.

I just did the math before starting this thread and realised that we still had a chance.
So far, it's panning out reasonably.

Anyway, last few games went according to the 'plan' so Round 17 Requirements...
PLAN B.

Saturday night: GWS to have the slimmest possible win over Melbourne (but no more than 12)
(if Melbourne win we need them to lose to Essendon* in final round)

Sunday:
Carlton over Adelaide by as big a margin as possible (but at least 15 points)
Hawthorn to upset Footscray (if not then Freo has to the following week)

PLAN A.
That's right, haven't given up here

Monday:
Gold Coast d Collingwood
Don't give a flying f by how much - % doesn't matter.
But ONE point would be delicious seeing as how Pies have to front up to ladder leaders Port Adelaide in final round.

Peek ahead to Rd.18
If above goes well...
St.Kilda d GWS by as much as possible (but at least 12)
Port d Collingwood
Carlton d Brisbane (by at least 12)

If Plans A & B Both work then we finish 7th and get to play St.Kilda in first week of finals.
Followed by the loser of Geelong/Brisbane

None of this is as implausible as many had thought of Freo d Melb, Ad d GWS & Carlton down by 39 points in 2nd Q that just happened in last two days.

PERCENTAGE:
GWS are only up by 11 points on For/Agst, Footscray only 3 points.
Sadly, Carlton are still in defiicit by 28.
However, the margins I nominated above rectify this - just, to put us ahead of both GWS & WB
It goes without saying that we really should use the opportunity of percentage building against the bottom team on the ladder. Ya think?

Finals
Maybe start looking at Brisbane's wheels falling off next two games so they drop to 5th, I really don't fancy playing Richmond or WC in Perth if we only manage 8th.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:11 pm 
Horrie Clover

CC1961 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Ouch.

Hey, what people tend to overlook is that Stephen Bradbury had GET to the final in the first place;
i.e. he was GOOD enough to win heats, finals, semis etc. so was a worthy contender regardless of what happened in the final.

Doesn't matter if others have to 'fall over' we STILL have to do our own job too.

Besides, ill conceived losses to Port & Melbourne and how the hell did we choose to be the only team beaten by Hawthorn in 3 months beats me means we Should have been higher up and safely in place already.

I just did the math before starting this thread and realised that we still had a chance.

PLAN B.

Saturday night: GWS to have the slimmest possible win over Melbourne (but no more than 12)
(if Melbourne win we need them to lose to Essendon** in final round)

Sunday:

PLAN A.

Monday:
Gold Coast d Collingwood
But ONE point would be delicious seeing as how Pies have to front up to ladder leaders Port Adelaide in final round.

Peek ahead to Rd.18
If above goes well...
Port d Collingwood

If Plans A & B Both work then we finish 7th and get to play St.Kilda in first week of finals.

None of this is as implausible as many had thought of Freo d Melb, Ad d GWS & Carlton down by 39 points in 2nd Q that just happened in last two days.

PERCENTAGE:
However, the margins I nominated above rectify this - just, to put us ahead of both GWS & WB
It goes without saying that we really should use the opportunity of percentage building against the bottom team on the ladder. Ya think?

Finals
Maybe start looking at Brisbane's wheels falling off next two games so they drop to 5th, I really don't fancy playing Richmond or WC in Perth if we only manage 8th.

I could think of nothing better than playing Richmond, anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

CC1961 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Ouch.

PLAN B.

Sunday:

PLAN A.

Monday:
Gold Coast d Collingwood

Peek ahead to Rd.18
If above goes well...
Port d Collingwood

PERCENTAGE:

Finals

Just on Bradbury, he was 3rd in his heat, meaning he missed out, then the 2nd place was disqualified and he went into the semis. What people forget is he was last in the semi's before 3 fell allowing him to qualify, then the final, of course, they all fell allowing him to win.

It happened more than in the final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Bradbury

"Bradbury took an unlikely gold medal win in the men's short track 1000 metres event at the Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Olympic Games. He won his heat convincingly in the 1,000 m, posting a time of 1:30.956. However, in the quarter-finals, Bradbury was allocated to the same race as Apolo Anton Ohno, the favourite from the host nation, and Marc Gagnon of Canada, the defending world champion. Only the top two finishers from each race would proceed to the semifinals. Bradbury finished third in his race and thought himself to be eliminated, but Gagnon was disqualified for obstructing another racer, allowing the Australian to advance to the semi-finals.[14]

After consulting his national coach Ann Zhang, Bradbury's strategy from the semi-final onwards was to cruise behind his opponents and hope that they crashed, as he could not match their pace.[15] His reasoning was that risk-taking by the favourites could cause a collision due to a racing incident, and if two or more skaters fell, the remaining three would all get medals, and that as he was slower than his opponents, trying to challenge them directly would only increase his own chances of falling.[15][16] Bradbury said that he was satisfied with his result, and felt that as the second-oldest competitor in the field, he was not able to match his opponents in four races on the same night.[17]

In his semi-final race, Bradbury was in last place, well off the pace of the medal favourites. However, defending champion Kim Dong-sung of South Korea, multiple Olympic medallist Li Jiajun of China and Mathieu Turcotte of Canada all crashed, paving the way for Bradbury to take first place and advancing him through to the final.

In the final, Bradbury was again well off the pace when all four of his competitors (Ohno, Ahn Hyun-Soo, Li and Turcotte) crashed out at the final corner while jostling for the gold medal. This allowed Bradbury, who was around 15 m behind with only 50 m to go, to avoid the pile-up and take the victory.[15][16][18] Bradbury became the first person from a southern hemisphere country to win a Winter Olympic event.[19] After a period of delay, the judges upheld the result and did not order a re-race, confirming Bradbury's victory.[20]

In an interview after winning his gold, referring to his two career- and life-threatening accidents,[21] Bradbury said "Obviously I wasn't the fastest skater. I don't think I'll take the medal as the minute-and-a-half of the race I actually won. I'll take it as the last decade of the hard slog I put in." He also said "I was the oldest bloke in the field and I knew that, skating four races back to back, I wasn't going to have any petrol left in the tank. So there was no point in getting there and mixing it up because I was going to be in last place anyway. So (I figured) I might as well stay out of the way and be in last place and hope that some people get tangled up."[22] "

Anyway, we digress.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

CC1961 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Ouch.

PLAN B.

Sunday:

PLAN A.

Monday:
Gold Coast d Collingwood

Peek ahead to Rd.18
If above goes well...
Port d Collingwood

PERCENTAGE:

Finals

Yes, we need a big win this week, as Brisbane the week after will be tough enough without having to win by a decent margin. We need to get our percentage to about 102%, if the other results fall into place.

Once there I'm happy to play whoever we front up to. It'll just be nice to be there after all these years. We be a huge underdog whoever we play.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

jim wrote:
Been on the predictor. If the Dogs, Giants and Dees lose one then we have to beat Adelaide well, a close win won't likely do, and Brisbane (ouch...good luck) and we get in. We need to get the percentage to around 102%. Then we get a trip to Perth.....oh yay.

Tough ask but it's good that we are somehow still playing for a finals spot 2nd last match. Somehow keep hanging in. We should be near entrenched but hope we learn from that.

We can beat Brisbane.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Thanks Jim, really appreciate the heads-up on Bradbury.

It kind of validates my perspective and elevates my opinion of him.

He was obviously a Master Strategist who allowed for his weaknesses and deserves much kudos for that.

On top of the necessary 10 years of hard slog and just reward for it (as he said)
(Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours?)

That's what Carlton needs most - Master Strategy.

(also allowing for weaknesses but like Bradbury, not letting them stop us)

Thanks again for the great post.
I had assumed some prior heats/semis success to make the final but obviously didn't know the story.
I accept being corrected with such accuracy.

I am happy though to conflate my misconception of a successful build up to the final with his 10 years of hard work to get there - that was my point, it's Never just One lucky break.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

jim wrote:
Apolo Anton Ohno, the favourite

To be fair, it was written in the stars.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

I hop;e all this pans out, otherwise there are going to be a lot of dogs kicked.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
I hop;e all this pans out, otherwise there are going to be a lot of dogs kicked.

Hopefully by the hawks & dockers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CC1961 wrote:

He was obviously a Master Strategist who allowed for his weaknesses and deserves much kudos for that.

On top of the necessary 10 years of hard slog and just reward for it (as he said)

(also allowing for weaknesses but like Bradbury, not letting them stop us).

Bradbury’s strategy in the Semi-Finals and Final was to hang back behind the first three as he knew he didn’t have the speed to go with them - and he waited for them to fall which they did.

We obviously can’t do this.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

CC1961 wrote:

(also allowing for weaknesses but like Bradbury, not letting them stop us)

Thanks again for the great post.
I had assumed some prior heats/semis success to make the final but obviously didn't know the story.
I accept being corrected with such accuracy.

I am happy though to conflate my misconception of a successful build up to the final with his 10 years of hard work to get there - that was my point, it's Never just One lucky break.
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

AGRO wrote:

Bradbury’s strategy in the Semi-Finals and Final was to hang back behind the first three as he knew he didn’t have the speed to go with them - and he waited for them to fall which they did.

Hey Agro, did you NOT see what we did last night?

In true Bradbury style we hung back and let Sydney absolutely exhaust themselves kicking way too many goals too soon then pounced when they crashed.

Tried the same with Melbourne but may now have perfected it.

:grin: :grin: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:50 pm 
Ken Hands

I listen to the Conversations podcast with Richard Fidler a bit, it's worth looking up his interview with Bradbury. Nearly lost his life at one point when he got sliced open by a skate.

Back on topic, we've only beaten 2 teams above us. Hard to think we wouldn't be making up the numbers if we do scrape in. Unless we get the Dogs, we do seem to go ok against them.

Last edited by ferdinand on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CC1961 wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Hey Agro, did you NOT see what we did last night?

In true Bradbury style we hung back and let Sydney absolutely exhaust themselves kicking way too many goals too soon then pounced when they crashed.

Tried the same with Melbourne but may now have perfected it.

:grin: :grin: :lol: :lol:

Could be onto something there CC61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

ferdinand wrote:
I listen to the Conversations podcast with Richard Fidler a bit, it's worth looking up his interview with Bradbury. Nearly lost his life at one point when he got sliced open by a skate.

I'm a fan of both. Moreso the former.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Hopefully by the hawks & dockers

Touche CK, right on the ball.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
ferdinand wrote:

I'm a fan of both. Moreso the former.

Ouch!

Yeah, Fidler fan as well. I'll look it up.
Hard to believe he was a Doug Anthony Allstar aint it?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next